Airfare to South America as much as 14 day cruise

CruzinFamilyof5

You really are GREAT, AM.

I have copied all of your Machu Picchu thread suggestions and now I have to print it out & digest it. I looked at the hotels. Yours with the windows is certainly reasonably priced.

I am doing the same for the air (copying & pasting in an e-mail to myself). I need to pin down the post cruise M.P. logistics before I can buy air.

I need a couple of days in B.A. also. Would the outbound (LAX to Buenos Aires) be the same rates & times for Sat or Sun - 10 or 11 Jan - or is it different on weekends?

I need to look at the airline links.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Australia is a LARGE country. Have you tried LAN??? They fly Santiago/Sydney.

More info, please.

Hi there,

Qantas/LAN pretty much have a monopoly on the SYD-SCL route. It is difficult to find an economy fare for less than $3k for high season (I'm paying $10.5k for business class!). The only other SYD/SCL alternative is Aerolineas Argentinas. There are some other not well known alternatives, which involve longer flights. For example, Emirates will fly to Sao Paulo via an Asian gateway or Dubai. Malaysia Airlines will fly to Buenos Aires via KL, with a stop in J'burg. Or, there are connections via the US, which will involve a longer flying time than going via Dubai or KL. But be aware that these flights are still in the $3k range.

I can give you a link to a website (and no, I'm not a travel agent) if you're interested.

Cheers

parischris

Hi there,

Qantas/LAN pretty much have a monopoly on the SYD-SCL route. It is difficult to find an economy fare for less than $3k for high season (I'm paying $10.5k for business class!). The only other SYD/SCL alternative is Aerolineas Argentinas. There are some other not well known alternatives, which involve longer flights. For example, Emirates will fly to Sao Paulo via an Asian gateway or Dubai. Malaysia Airlines will fly to Buenos Aires via KL, with a stop in J'burg. Or, there are connections via the US, which will involve a longer flying time than going via Dubai or KL. But be aware that these flights are still in the $3k range.

I can give you a link to a website (and no, I'm not a travel agent) if you're interested.

Cheers

parischris

Hi Parischris,

you are confirming what I've already discovered;).

Please post the web site.

Hi Parischris,

you are confirming what I've already discovered;).

Please post the web site.

http://www.bestflights.com.au. Check under "Flight Specials", then "Latin America" for their deals. I've used them several times, absolutely no problems.

Just checked Qantas' website - $4k for an economy return fare for your dates :rolleyes:

Cheers

parischris

You really are GREAT, AM.

I have copied all of your Machu Picchu thread suggestions and now I have to print it out & digest it. I looked at the hotels. Yours with the windows is certainly reasonably priced.

I am doing the same for the air (copying & pasting in an e-mail to myself). I need to pin down the post cruise M.P. logistics before I can buy air.

I need a couple of days in B.A. also. Would the outbound (LAX to Buenos Aires) be the same rates & times for Sat or Sun - 10 or 11 Jan - or is it different on weekends?

I need to look at the airline links.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Please be aware that what I posted for air prices were what was available YESTERDAY, via SABRE (the system some travel agents use). The itinerary I proposed was based on certain fare classes and multiple airlines. That is one reason I posted you MAY have to get a TA to book the air for you. I cannot duplicate the price of the Copa flights, using their website. Keeps kicking me into a higher fare class and almost double the price ($932 booked off SABRE vs $1717 off their website).

I didn't look at January 10. January 11 (Sunday) is a higher price-just did a cursory check and the difference is almost $250. However, that amount will almost get eaten up in hotel costs, so really shouldn't have a BIG impact.

If you need further help, please post.

Dates???? Airports??? Destination????

Cruise leaves December 21st out of Valparaiso, Chile

Ends January 4th in Buenos Aires, Argentina

We are in Austin, so that would be our first choice, but Houston or Dallas would work as well.

Thanks,

-Dan

A very helpful agent at Continental's Reward Desk spent well over an hour with me going through every possible combination and permutation to book us business class using points (miles). While the airline website will only allow you to book reward tickets on its airline, the Reward Desk agent can book on any partner airline. So, we are first flying Delta from Newark to West Palm Beach, FL for a family Christmas visit, then Copa from Miami to Santiago and finally Continental from Buenos Aires to Newark. All of this was for 125,000 fewer miles per person than booking on Delta all the way. Our total came to 170,000 miles per person.

On a previous trip to China, the ANA rewards desk booked us ANA from New York to Shanghai and returned us on Asiana from Beijing to New York.

So, if you have enough frequent flyer miles, always speak with an agent at the rewards desk.

How did you manage that!? Where are you flying from?? I have been waitlisted on UAL for a month trying to get FF seats IAD- EZE and don't see anything for weeks on either side of our December/January dates. I've been checking the website practically everyday. We are currently booked into Sao Paulo with our FF miles and will have to pay $$ for the rest of the itinerary plus it will take over 24hours.

I don't book seats very often, so I don't know all the secrets but, if you have any advice for me, I would sure appreciate it. TIA

I'm flying from Manchester NH on Air Canada going and returning on United. Have you tried booking through Star Alliance?

Did you try Star Alliance "partner" awards? What you generally see on an airline website is NOT a partner award. Air Canada is probably your best bet.

IF you are trying to get the UAL nonstop, your chances are slim and none. The seats are pretty well sold for PAID tickets-you are trying for tickets high season/Xmas holiday. The United nonstop is the ONLY nonstop IAD/EZE. I would doubt United releases additonal FF seats.

While the AirCanada routing is not optimal (you fly IAD nonstop to Toronto, then nonstop to EZE), it may be the only way to use your FF miles. It certainly is worth a phone call. Good luck!!!

Greatam -- Thank you very much. At least someone is telling it like it is--even if it is what I don't want to hear. I am not waiting for UAL to release seats.

Greatam and d man -- your assistance has been invaluable. This afternoon, I was able to at least change half of my reservation and now have award seats all the way to Buenos Aires, on Air Canada. Without your help, I would still be waiting patiently for a waitlisted award seats that might never have materialized. :) As long as the weather is with us, all will be just fine. And, we have a flight direct to Toronto, so we aren't complaining about the 8 hour layover.

Leaving from IAD on Jan. 26 to Buenus Aires;

Domestic flight from BA to Iguazu on Jan. 29

Returning to BA on Jan 31

Departing Santiago for IAD on Feb 18 (plus or minus a day)

I have 130,000 UAL ff miles if that's of any help

International air currently booked through TA with Celebrity at around $1,085/pp - however will need custom air to deviate to my dates.

thanks for your help

john

Leaving from IAD on Jan. 26 to Buenus Aires;

Domestic flight from BA to Iguazu on Jan. 29

Returning to BA on Jan 31

Departing Santiago for IAD on Feb 18 (plus or minus a day)

I have 130,000 UAL ff miles if that's of any help

International air currently booked through TA with Celebrity at around $1,085/pp - however will need custom air to deviate to my dates.

thanks for your help

john

This is definitely the cheapest routing and very decent flight times except the VERY early morning departure on Jan 26. Total price INCLUDING the flight to Iguazu-$1279.00pp

COPA Airlines Flight CM489 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class

(breakfast, movie)

Departs Washington, DC (IAD) Mon, Jan 26 5:43a 4 hrs 59 min

Arrives Panama City, Panama (PTY) 10:42a

Layover in Panama City 1 hr 14 min

COPA Airlines COPA Airlines Flight CM279 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class

(lunch, movie)

Departs Panama City, Panama (PTY) Mon, Jan 26 11:56a 6 hrs 7 min

Arrives Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) 9:03p

Buenos Aires, Argentina to Iguazu, Argentina: 653 miles 1 hr 45 min

Aero Lineas Argentinas Aero Lineas Argentinas Flight AR2742 on a MD-80 (jet) in coach class

Departs Buenos Aires, Argentina (AEP) Thur, Jan 29 7:10a 1 hr 45 min

Arrives Iguazu, Argentina (IGR) 8:55a

Iguazu, Argentina to Buenos Aires, Argentina: 653 miles 1 hr 50 min

Aero Lineas Argentinas Aero Lineas Argentinas Flight AR2743 on a MD-80 (jet) in coach class

Departs Iguazu, Argentina (IGR) Sat, Jan 31 9:35a 1 hr 50 min

Arrives Buenos Aires, Argentina (AEP) 11:25a

Santiago, Chile to Washington, DC: 5052 miles 13 hrs 49 min

COPA Airlines COPA Airlines Flight CM750 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class

(dinner, movie)

Departs Santiago, Chile (SCL) Wed, Feb 18 11:58a 7 hrs 40 min

Arrives Panama City, Panama (PTY) 5:38p

Layover in Panama City 1 hr 28 min

COPA Airlines COPA Airlines Flight CM488 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class

(dinner, movie)

Departs Panama City, Panama (PTY) Wed, Feb 18 7:06p 4 hrs 41 min

Arrives Washington, DC (IAD) 11:47p

Both sets of flights bookable RIGHT NOW at the respective airline websites.

MAKE SURE you pick the same flight numbers if you want it to price out the same.

Copa flights on their website-$1021.30pp-all taxes and fees included. SHOULD include Chilean departure tax.

http://www.copaair.com/homepage.aspx?lenguage=en

Aerolineas Argentina-$243.96pp RT-15KG of luggage ONLY, so you will have to leave luggage in BA. There are a lot of flights out of Iguazu on Jan 31. You can pick any one of them and get the same price. The fare code is Flex Tango. You will have to pay Argentinian departure tax at the airport.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Daerolineas%2Bargentina%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DIMT%26sa%3DX

If you have problems booking, please let me know. And even though the flight out of IAD to EZE is VERY early, it offers the potential to actually get into BA on the same day. I have flown Copa and liked the little stop in Panama City. Just enough time to break up the flight.

you're terrific - thanks so much for your research. BTW are you a TA or do you do travel planning for your company?

john

You are welcome.

I own an international logistics/transportation company. We move freight and people all over the world. I personally fly over 100,000 miles a year, including 4 trips to South America, 3 or 4 trips to Vietnam/Cambodia and just cut my business travel to 2 trips per year in China ( I have a personal beef going with China- and not over Tibet).

Just remember, anytime I post flight info, it is real time. Prices and flights may not be available in a day or two.

..We're tempted to cancel and find a 14 day cruise instead from any U.S. port to avoid spending 50% of our trip on airfare. We're limited from Dec. 19th through Jan 11th for any trip.

Any suggestions?

We booked our first holiday cruise for this coming December and are similarly constrained by school schedules.

... Another option is this 11 night cruise, which sounds great...

Ultimate Panama Canal Cruise

Ship Name: Jewel Of The Seas

Departure Date: December 29th

Departure Port: Miami, Florida

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida; Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos; Cartagena, Colombia; Panama Canal (Cruising Canal); Cristobal Pier, Panama; Puerto Limon, Costa Rica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Miami, Florida

The trip we selected is the previous Jewel cruise leaving from Miami. The pricing was very good. Also, the airfare between LAX and MIA is probably less than half the price of going to Latin America.

... Our 2 teenagers decided that 14 day cruise was too long, plus 1 week in Argentina after the trip. I wouldn't dare leave them alone in our house for 3 weeks. :mad: "Back to the drawing board"

Good luck in finding something that works!

I am confirmed on LAN CHILI, from LAX to B.A. on 11 Feb. I have one connection on the outbound, in Santiago.

Return is non-stop from SCL > LAX on 7 February.

FARE: $1079 including taxes. :D

I still have to get from B.A. to Igauzu - quoted $259 R/T from Aerolineas Argentina website.

As well as still working on post to Machu Picchu.

The nice part: I have until 20 December to pay for the International to LAN. However, I probably cannot get a seat assignment intil I pay for it.

GREATAM: Did I do O.K. ? :confused:

Glad your airfare is all set. I just wanted to tell you that I think you can fly to Iquazu also on LAN. I looked up the fares but we are not going to be able to go there.

Look on Trip Advisor - in the BA forum - I have seen alot of posts where people much prefer LAN over the other airline. I have no experience with either but LAN seems to win in preference. When I looked up the fares on LAN, they were $250 for Iquazu. Posters had wonderful things to say about LAN.

This is just my 2cents!!!! There is a certain comfort in having all arrangements in place for sure!:)

I flew on Lan in 2004, we got stuck in Santiago for several hours waiting for a 3rd plane without mechanical problems. It happened to mom a month later.

For the cruise we booked in South America for December 2008, Lan would not give us seat assignments until 24 hours before the flight. Here is a website I just discovered where you can see what is offered on each seat of any airline.

http://www.seatguru.com/

Yikes!! That does not sound good!! I am booked on LAN for part of my journey. I really don't like flying anymore - just want to get where I am going safely and in one piece!! I was hoping that all the great info I have read is true! I guess they all have troubles these days.

The seatguru website is great. Why you didn't have seat assignment until 24 hrs.? That would worry me:eek:

I don't know why they would not give me seat assignments. With 3 kids, I could not take that chance. My mom flies back and forth to Argentina from LAX frequently and she's had the best service on Delta and Continental. Also, she does customs in Houston and so avoids the mess at LAX, Tom Bradley terminal.

I am confirmed on LAN CHILI, from LAX to B.A. on 11 Feb. I have one connection on the outbound, in Santiago.

Return is non-stop from SCL > LAX on 7 February.

FARE: $1079 including taxes. :D

I still have to get from B.A. to Igauzu - quoted $259 R/T from Aerolineas Argentina website.

As well as still working on post to Machu Picchu.

The nice part: I have until 20 December to pay for the International to LAN. However, I probably cannot get a seat assignment intil I pay for it.

GREATAM: Did I do O.K. ? :confused:

I sure hope your dates are wrong. Your posted dates have you leaving SA before you ever arrive. Looking back at your posts, I think you meant arrive BA on January 11 or 12, correct. Yes, you did fine-very good. You are flying one of the BEST airlines in the world-LAN/Cathay/British Airways/Singapore are all the top rated airlines in the world and three of the four belong to the OneWorld Alliance. If you don't have an AAdvantage (AA FF) account, make sure you get one and book your LAN miles to AA (unless you plan on flying a LOT of LAN).

The Aerolineas Argentina flight will be best from BA. Only about an hour flight. Leaves from the domestic airport in BA. LOTS of choices of flights on Aerolineas. Not so many on LAN out of BA.

You best choice for post cruise MP will still be LAN. SCL/LIM/CUZ and reverse to get you back for your flight home. Take the late flight from SCL to LIM and you only have about 4 hours to hang out at the LIM airport before the flight to Cusco. About $450.00 RT-SCL/Cusco

You did REALLY well. Congrats. If you need further help, please post.

I have enjoyed this thread and appreciate all the good advice you have provided to cruisers.

I would appreciate your comments on our situation, with the airfares being more expensive than the cruise (Santiago - Brisbane).

We will be travelling to Milan in November off season (lowest airfares) for a cruise Genoa, Italy to FL (11/15/08 - 12/3/08). (Return excursion fare is little more than the one way fare - Brisbane - Milan.)

We were thinking of doing a B2B cruise from FL to Santiago, Chile. However, the one way airfare in holiday season (late December) quoted was higher than the return excursion fare (Santiago - Brisbane).

Because of the high cost and lack of competition on the Pacific route, we're now thinking we would be better saving SA for another visit, where we can use a return excursion fare. Do you agree?

If we don't go to SA, we would fly back from Florida to Milan, with maybe a stopover in London. We are flexible with flying dates, but are currently thinking departing Florida around 12/12, departing London around 12/19.

Which airline and departure point from Florida would you recommend? We will have a hire car, so can either travel south or north of FL.

I have enjoyed this thread and appreciate all the good advice you have provided to cruisers.

I would appreciate your comments on our situation, with the airfares being more expensive than the cruise (Santiago - Brisbane).

We will be travelling to Milan in November off season (lowest airfares) for a cruise Genoa, Italy to FL (11/15/08 - 12/3/08). (Return excursion fare is little more than the one way fare - Brisbane - Milan.)

We were thinking of doing a B2B cruise from FL to Santiago, Chile. However, the one way airfare in holiday season (late December) quoted was higher than the return excursion fare (Santiago - Brisbane).

Because of the high cost and lack of competition on the Pacific route, we're now thinking we would be better saving SA for another visit, where we can use a return excursion fare. Do you agree?

If we don't go to SA, we would fly back from Florida to Milan, with maybe a stopover in London. We are flexible with flying dates, but are currently thinking departing Florida around 12/12, departing London around 12/19.

Which airline and departure point from Florida would you recommend? We will have a hire car, so can either travel south or north of FL.

Marion,

One place to start could be a round the world fare using oneworld or staralliance. Or you could look at an open jaw ticket with Malaysia airlines for example - it would mean flying Santiago to Buenos Aires to pick up the flight though. Info is under the Round the World section on the website I referred you to earlier, or here is an example offering that includes Sth America: http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bin/203/flights?maindetails=2091

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for providing the link to atw fare and your previous advice, which are much appreciated, Chris.

I did look into atw, but there were a number of problems -

Cost

• $3,714 for economy atw
  • no direct flight to Milan, via Asia, on atw tickets (has to be via a European gateway).
  • $3714 x 2 is more than the cost of 32 days cruising!

For around $4,400, we could have 2 overseas return flights - one to Milan, and one to Santiago, next year, which seem better value.

How did you manage that!? Where are you flying from?? I have been waitlisted on UAL for a month trying to get FF seats IAD- EZE and don't see anything for weeks on either side of our December/January dates. I've been checking the website practically everyday. We are currently booked into Sao Paulo with our FF miles and will have to pay $$ for the rest of the itinerary plus it will take over 24hours.

I don't book seats very often, so I don't know all the secrets but, if you have any advice for me, I would sure appreciate it. TIA

We got lucky too in 2006 and got 2 business class FF tickets for 80K miles each. We booked 9 months ahead. Being 1K Premier helped too.

Archived