Hard to get table for 2 on former "R" ships?

edgee

We are considering a cruise on the Tahitian (soon to be renamed Ocean) Princess. We always dine alone and wondered how difficult it is to get a table for 2 under traditional dining on Princess's smaller (former Renaissance) ships?

We were assigned to a table of 8 or 10. On the first evening, the DH asked the Maitre'de for a table for "2 only" as we were celebrating our 25th. I guess there were other requests similar to ours because on the 2nd evening, the tables were rearranged to allow a few more for 2 only.

Unfortunately, ours for 2 only was right next to one for 6. So it was like a rectangle table for 8 (4 each side) with 3 inches between our table for 2 and their table for 6. It was a family of six. It was not very private -- we felt like we should join into the conversation at times, and at other times we felt like we were too close. There are a few "nice" tables for 2 before the re-arrangement -- perhaps you will be lucky to get one of those.

But we loved the ports. We usually do anytme dining, so it was an adjustment for us. We still had a wonderful cruise.

I agree, a table for two isn't too private on the Tahitian Princess. The diningroom is quite small and even though we were at a table for 6, the next table was barely a few inches away for us so it felt more like we were sitting at a banquet table.

I would check immediately when you board, there are a few that are more secluded, but not many.

Ditto on what the others have said about a table for two. We had a young couple right next to our table for 6 ... I mean separated by about 6 inches. We asked if they just wanted to join us and they said "no." They never said a word to us in the 12 days ... not even "hi" when they sat down.

I agree with what other posters said,

However, we got lucky as they created a table for 2 for us on the Pacific Princess

as you walk straight into the dining room all the way till you come to the point that you veer left or go right to the other side of dining room there is a barrier and they were able to fit 3 tables for 2 there.

It was a fabulous location for 22 days of people watching, socializing as people stopped by to say Hello and yet very private!

Our maitre D said how he made his decision for table for 2 requests:

1.Health concerns

2.Elite

3. back to back passengers

4. Platinum

We've taken 2 cruises on the "Renaissance Class" ships - the first on the Pacific, the second on the Royal. Both times we requested tables for 2 well in advance of the cruise. The first time on the Pacific we were seated with another couple at a table for 4 for the first night. I'll be polite and simply say we were not "sympatico". We requested a change to a table for 2 and the Maitre 'd was able to accommodate us by putting us at a small round table for 4 in the middle of the dining room. On the Royal Princess we had a table for 2 from the outset. It was in the left corner of the dining room just as you enter. Yes it was a little close to the large table next to us, but that really wasn't a problem. We tend to be quiet and keep to ourselves, but we did acknowledge the larger table nightly (as they did us, too).

If you want a table for two, make sure you request it when you make your booking. The earlier your booking is made, the better chance you have. Upon boarding, check with the Maitre 'd. He has a table set up on embarcation day to handle requests. If you didn't get a table for two, then you can request one. It helps to be polite and respectful if you need to make a request. As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey... I've seen some pretty rude people on the first day and the Maitre 'd is more inclined to work with you if you're nice to him (and I don't necessarily mean by greasing a palm).

When can we ask for a table for two? We didn't ask at booking and I know DH would be happiest if we were alone. We're going on our first cruise on July 10 on the Tahitian Princess.
If you did not do it now is the time.

Just have your TA make the request now. If you booked directly with Princess ask them to put in your request.

We sailed on the Tahitian Princess for our anniversary cruise to French Polynesia, last year in July. We requested a table for 2 (thru our TA) when we booked 9 months before our cruise and got it. Request table # 1 or 2. It seemed private to me and was up against a wall when you first walked in, but was in the corner. We thought it was very private.

Enjoy your cruise!

We sailed on the Tahitian Princess for our anniversary cruise to French Polynesia, last year in July. We requested a table for 2 (thru our TA) when we booked 9 months before our cruise and got it. Request table # 1 or 2. It seemed private to me and was up against a wall when you first walked in, but was in the corner. We thought it was very private.

Enjoy your cruise!

I remember seeing those and they are separated nicely from other tables.

We had a table for six, and there was a table for two just six inches away from us. As others have said, it was more like a table for eight.

Request table # 1 or 2. It seemed private to me and was up against a wall when you first walked in, but was in the corner. We thought it was very private.

I think tables 1 and 2 are the ones under the pictures on the wall.

Om the other photo, the table at the lower right is a table for two next to a table for six.

1986111727_00112_10.07ClubRestaurantdeck5100_7870.jpg.bbe40d7f139f092194f322e70cba00c5.jpg

1229080177_002b12_11.07Table26ClubRestaurantdeck5100_8106.jpg.f1e4f6a40a91e54bebbee612c20b04e8.jpg

Archived