Carnival is raising their fuel surcharge

It is sad to see this, but fuel costs can no longer be absorbed by a company, the prices are out of hand. I have a feeling it is only going to get worse. The price of everything is going up.

I guess this means that if you are even thinking about booking something in the future, you should do it now! After their last fiasco with the Florida Attorney General, it seems unlikely that they would try to impose this additional fee on existing bookings!

Theron

Just read on another board that on 4/21/08 Carnival will raise the fuel surcharge from $5 per day to $7 per say and 3rd and 4th passengers have to pay $2 per day. Guess all the other lines will follow.

Yep, someone have to pay the price for the consequence of the wars in the middle east, fuel is not going to get any cheaper in the future. Looks like we have to bite the sour apple and just keep on paying higher oil prices. I actually belive that oil will be around 200 dollars a barrel in december, then fuel charges will be even higher, not to mention gas prices :(

Here is the info as posted over on the Carnival boards: re price increase for fuel.

Carnival corporation & PLC

April 7 2008

Dear travel Partner,

Because of the continued rapid escalation of fuel prices, six of Carnival Corp. & plc's brands-Carnival cruise lines, Costa cruises, Cunard line, Holland America line, Princess cruises and the Yachts of Seabourn- will increase their current fuel supplement from $5 to $7 (USD) per person per day.

These brands will also implement a fuel supplement on third, fourth and fifth passengers of $2 per person per day.

The new fuel supplements will apply to all new bookings effective April 21, 2008.

The fuel supplement will not exceed $98 per person per voyage for the first and second guests and $28 per person per voyage for the third, fourth and fifth guests in a stateroom.

For bookings made from November 7 2007 to April 20, 2008 the original fuel supplement of $5 per person per day will apply.

We regret having to take this action, but fuel price increases have continued and we now find it necessary to implement a modest increase in the supplement.

Please remember that all of your booking made on or before April 20 2008 will not be subjest to the supplement increase. Most importantly, we want to thank you for your business and support for all our brands.

Sincerely,

Bill Harber

Director of Marketing

Yep, someone have to pay the price for the consequence of the wars in the middle east, fuel is not going to get any cheaper in the future. Looks like we have to bite the sour apple and just keep on paying higher oil prices. I actually belive that oil will be around 200 dollars a barrel in december, then fuel charges will be even higher, not to mention gas prices :(

RCL ships do not have to bunker in the U.S. So our polices should have nothing to do with the price they pay. The growing need for oil in India and China is why it has gotten so expensive. And if we don't find some way of getting more local oil and increasing our refinery capability. It's never going to get better.

Or we can just blame the "Big Bad Government"

Just read on another board that on 4/21/08 Carnival will raise the fuel surcharge from $5 per day to $7 per say and 3rd and 4th passengers have to pay $2 per day. Guess all the other lines will follow.

Don't understand. Do the 3rd and 4th passengers use less fuel:confused: Fuel cost should be the same for each passenger.

My thought is this: Why have a fuel surcharge? Why not just raise the base price of the cruise? They can't use the surcharge on current bookings anyway.

Jen

This way it's a "legitimate" way to raise prices, not just a secret increase that everyone questions and looks elsewhere to beat.

This way it's a "legitimate" way to raise prices, not just a secret increase that everyone questions and looks elsewhere to beat.

Yep... same reason they recommend tip amounts, instead of adding them to the fare price... just another way to keep that advertised "cabins starting at" amount as low as possible.

Theron

My thought is this: Why have a fuel surcharge? Why not just raise the base price of the cruise? They can't use the surcharge on current bookings anyway.

Jen

One reason is that fuel surcharges are not commissionable to T/A's.

Gregg

If the cruise lines place the fuel surcharge in the price of the cruise then they have to pay commission to the TA's unless they add it to the non commission fare.

About the fuel surcharge. It won't bother me if RCI raises it up. Prices continue to rise. I would rather pay more for a cruise than have them cut more on board areas such as food costs.

I can tell that here in Atlanta, the high price of gas hasn't slowed down the soccer moms in their gas guzzling SUV's. Traffic is still as bad as ever.

It may not have the soccer moms slowing down, driving. but it has put a dent in what people are spending else where. Gas prices have made everything go up, and it will just continue. Also you try to fit a family of 5 or 6 in a compact hybrid car and see what happens. The majority of goods in this country travel from point A to point B on a Tractor Trailer. The price of diesel in most areas now is above $4.00/gal. what do you think that is doing to the price of things? I work in an industry that is dependent on Trucks, it is harder to find a truck to transport goods now. Independent truckers cannot make a living with the high cost of fuel, so they are having to find new jobs. So everyone needs to calm down about $2 increase. If that $2 is going to make you not cruise then stay home. I know, I will get off my soap box. Just think about all the little people who are trying to make a living, farming(so we can eat) and truckers who are trying to get those goods from one place to next. Everything is costing more and it is only going to get worse. Sorry for the rant.

RCL will probably follow CCL's lead

April 7 2008

Dear travel Partner,

Because of the continued rapid escalation of fuel prices, six of

Carnival Corp. & plc's brands-Carnival cruise lines, Costa cruises,

Cunard line, Holland America line, Princess cruises and the Yachts of

Seabourn- will increase their current fuel supplement from $5 to $7

(USD) per person per day.

These brands will also implement a fuel supplement on third, fourth and

fifth passengers of $2 per person per day.

The new fuel supplements will apply to all new bookings effective April

21, 2008.

The fuel supplement will not exceed $98 per person per voyage for the

first and second guests and $28 per person per voyage for the third,

fourth and fifth guests in a stateroom.

For bookings made from November 7 2007 to April 20, 2008 the original

fuel supplement of $5 per person per day will apply.

We regret having to take this action, but fuel price increases have

continued and we now find it necessary to implement a modest increase in

the supplement.

Please remember that all of your booking made on or before April 20 2008

will not be subject to the supplement increase. Most importantly, we

want to thank you for your business and support for all our brands.

Sincerely,

Bill Harber

Director of Marketing

Guess they don't realize that's a good way to get people to stop cruising and flying .....
since all cruises are for the most part sold out, that's not a problem now. Not referring to you, but if $100 bucks makes the difference for someone, then they can't afford to cruise anyway.

since all cruises are for the most part sold out, that's not a problem now. Not referring to you, but if $100 bucks makes the difference for someone, then they can't afford to cruise anyway.

Wow - all cruises are for the most part sold out? Interesting .... as for the $100 comment, it is not a matter of being able to afford to cruise or not - it's the principal behind allowing an industry to get away with something. People have to drive their cars - they don't have to take cruises. I wouldn't sail a ship who was going to charge $100 extra, and I can more than afford it. It's the point.

Archived