Does anyone wear a fanny pack?

Wasubi03

I used to carry over the shoulder bag, but my bursitis would start, so fanny pack is the best way for me to carry all the junk me and DH needs when on shore tours etc. I don't care how it looks as long as I am comfortable.

There may be pros and cons about fanny packs, but to me they are a) really lumpy looking and b) an invitation to pickpockets, especially when worn on the fanny. I really prefer something I can clamp under my arm, like a shoulder bag. Call me suspicious, but I wouldn't even trust a backpack.

I have NEVER seen anyone wear it on the fanny, everyone I see wears it in the front or to the side. I am sure at one time they may have been worn that way. No one is going to reach in the front without being noticed. Like I said I have a shoulder bag that is the security type, but afterawhile it hurts, so I adjust the strap and wear it around my waist and let it hang by my hip, where I rest my arm.

I agree but...most fanny packs have the fastening clip in the back and a savvy thief unhooks that and takes off with the whole enchilada.:eek:

There may be some like that but many have the clip next to the sack all the ones I have used over the years for waterparks ( waterproof also)worked like that. The security one I bought my husband has a locking clip ( need a key and it closes under a flap on the side...so it is not visible) and the strap is steel, pack is steel mesh. The fanny packs have evolved over the years.

There may be some like that but many have the clip next to the sack all the ones I have used over the years for waterparks ( waterproof also)worked like that. The security one I bought my husband has a locking clip ( need a key and it closes under a flap on the side...so it is not visible) and the strap is steel, pack is steel mesh. The fanny packs have evolved over the years.

Good for you.

How many people bother to get an extra secure one?

Just giving people something to consider and think about.

Good for you.

How many people bother to get an extra secure one?

Just giving people something to consider and think about.

You are right, but any bag, shoulder or otherwise can be cut off. If a thief really wants it, he will get it. The bottom line is personal awareness of your surroundings at all times.. I live in a big city and know to keep up my guard, but many rural people stand out as tourists because they are not as aware. In Barcelona we were amazed at the number of people who stopped to watch ( and participate) in the 3 card monte or shell games. We know there are shills in the crowd who pick the pockets as people watch, so we kept on walking, shaking our heads the whole time.

You are right, but any bag, shoulder or otherwise can be cut off. If a thief really wants it, he will get it. The bottom line is personal awareness of your surroundings at all times

Yes, but hands free fanny packs are easily forgotten about since they're so comfortable. A handbag, backpack. etc. is actively being carried and one is more aware of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be hands free. I wear mine to the side, who needs to add bulk to your tummy? I will however, be looking for a new one as mine is at least 10 - 15 years old. I'd like something with more room in it and a place for a water bottle.

Any ideas of where to look and not spend a fortune?

Im in total agreement - fanny pack here I come. DS and DH used to make fun of me, but then I ended up carrying their things too.

Im also a big fan of the Baggalini. LOVE IT more than a fanny pack.

Which Baggalini do you have?? I've been looking at several myself!

I wear an updated version called a waist pack. I'll put the pic up. I bought this same exact one from Baby Phat in the same color. It held my cash, passport, digital camera, cell phone, sign and sail, makeup and other essentials on my cruise.

c82a_1_sbl.JPG

I wear one a LOT, much to the chagrin of my daughters and husband. :rolleyes: I bring two sizes on a cruise. A small, black one just to wear around the ship to carry my sail and sign card, lipstick, etc. A medium size one to wear off the ship for shopping, sunglasses, etc. I can't stand having something on my shoulder. I like handsfree! (No matter what my family says. :p I say GO FOR IT!

I was informed by my 20 and 18 y/o that it is a fashion mistake but I don't care. It's convenient.

I have a few that thread thru your belt.. I have a camera case that also threads thru the belt... hey, I am a tourist!.. don't want to miss a photo op:D you never know .. I may meet george Clooney along the way, or even Brad Pitt and don't want to be without my camera...:D :D I bought a belt with metal stud things for europe so the gypseys can't cut thru it.. I hear they snip off the fanny packs :( so no fanny packs.. I don't know what you call the ones I have but they look like the picture that was just posted except you put your belt thru it...I love being hands free when sightseeing...when out for the evening in a foreign country I wear one of the cross shoulder bags..I also use one of these when in NYC...

I hate to say it but I am thinking of wearing a fanny pack so I can put my wallet, cell phone, and passport in it! I know it's not cool to wear a fanny pack but I am just curious how many people use them or think it is a good idea?:D

I think any member of our police forces would advise you not to...walking advertisement as to where your valuables are:eek:

Here's my take: Fanny pack? No thank you. I just don't like the looks of them and they can really ruin a nice outfit, if you are a woman. With all the cool little purses out there, there are better options.

I did realize however, after seeing some of these "waist wallets" that they are marketing, these are something very different that what we all envision as a fanny pack. The newer updated options certainly look much better. A mini purse is still my favorite option, and is much more comfortable in the long run.

I have put a lot of thought into bringing stylish yet comfy outfits on my upcoming cruise, and I can't picture a fanny pack with them.

I hate to say it but I am thinking of wearing a fanny pack so I can put my wallet, cell phone, and passport in it! I know it's not cool to wear a fanny pack but I am just curious how many people use them or think it is a good idea?:D

Convenient if you don't need something larger, but be sure to swing it to the front anywhere its gets crowded or you'll have a pack with no wallet/passport :eek:

Fanny packs not only make it incredibly obvious that you are a tourist, they also make it obvious that you are American. Most Australians I know wouldn't wear them.

I personally think they are a mistake fashion wise, not to mention the security issues. That being said, each to their own! :)

lose the fanny pack, it's tragic......

LOL! So true.

Can we lose the word "Fanny Pack" and call in a bum bag or something else? It might be a little offensive to our friends across the pond.

Personally? I wouldn't be caught dead in one. I have a Prada messenger bag I use if I need something of the sort.

It is also true that a theif knows where your valuables are whether bum bag, messenger bag, handbag, wallet.

• 1 month later...

I bought a small zip clutch (for lack of a better word) that has a clip and I clip it to the belt loop of my shorts. It's only big enough to hold my sail n sign, credit card (for on shore) and a lipstick with a few bucks. If my camera can't squeeze in I just let DH put that in his pocket:D.

But where it is a small thin clutch it just dangles a little from the waist of my shorts....or I can slip my wrist thru the strap, but when I want my hands totally free I just clip it right on my belt loop;).

I just recently purchased a liz clairborne backpack type pocketbook because my shoulder was always aching from my shoulder bag. I may use this for when we go to port. As far as the ship goes, I haven't decided what to use, I've never tried a fanny pack but may decide to use it on the ship.

I still need to get a tote for the beach.

Archived