Any Adoption Problems from various islands?

skywalkervadar

Has anyone had any problems from customs and immigration on any of the various islands in the Caribbean including Aruba, Costa Rica, Panama and Curacao?

We will be traveling on a partial Panama Canal sailing with our 1.5 year old daughter this November and want to make sure customs and immigration won't cause a fuss as long as we have all of the papers.

Do make it doubly worrisome is we are a Canadian Gay couple. Gay adoption, marriage etc is not an issue in Canada at all but we know that even in the States, some backwoods custom agent might decide to make an issue out of a two dads, a baby girl and no mommy.

I'm not too concerned since you really only have to worry about customs and immigration apon returning to port in Florida and at the airport but you never know.

Anyone had a problem?

Congratulations on your baby girl!!

While I don't think you will have any problems, just be sure to copy down phone numbers for US consulates or embassies or whatever will be near so you can call for help quickly if you need it. And be sure to present a confident demeanor. Appearing nervous could arouse suspicion where none is warranted.

Have a great trip!

Retired, the couple is from Canada, so they need to bring numbers for the Canadian embassy. I highly doubt you'll have a problem as long as your baby has her passport and you have the adoption papers.

How wonderful for you to have such a great gift of a child.

We had a house full of adopted kids (5 asian girls, none related by blood) and they travelled extensively with us grown up to include cruising. The ONLY issue we EVER had was when we DROVE to Mexico...it was in 1996, we did not think to take passports (it was back in they day you know, besides they all had dependent child military ID cards). Not only did we have an issue at the boarder...but we got stopped driving into San Antonio by one of those "on the road about 10 miles in car check type of Boarder Patrol agents...when I responded to him YES they were ours and LOOK, they are ASIAN! his response was that LOTS of different nationalities smuggle thru Mexico.

Guess I am grateful that someone is looking out for anyone that would smuggle children...and needless to say we NEVER travelled without passports in hand again! :)

Of all our cruises, we never had a single issue or second look since the manifest has all the information listed to include passport info.

Have a GREAT trip! :)

Wow what a lucky family you are. Having had a similiar problem,(stepdad adoption) we travel with DD's passport, copy of name change/adoption. (I am also paranoid and carry copy of BC and vac. record) In the words of my wonderful late Grandfather "Its always better to have and not need, than to need and not have".

Have a wonderful trip and I hope you spoil that little girl.

From a not so little (anymore) "Daddy's girl" that was plenty spoiled.:)

I would check out what advice the Canadian Government gives on the various islands, their website is http://www.voyage.gc.ca/consular_home-en.asp. If that doesn't give you any reassurance, phone the Consulate or High Commission of the islands that you will call at. Regardless of any of this, if your ship is visiting Jamaica, stay onboard, they are really homophobic in Jamaica, they'll beat up a male tourist if they think he might be gay, irrespective of whether he is or not.

Archived