Royal Princess Travel Debacle

Brian Raine

Just wondering - why didn't you book your own independent flights? Is it that cost effective in the UK to book the cruise & air together? Or is a convenience thing?

Someone from the UK will have to answer the cost effective question.

However, there is very little commercial airline service into Manaus. And much of what there is is from cities far from a direct route from UK to Manuas.

It isn't a case of cost effectivness etc.

Over here, if flights are required they are part of the package (and price) provided by Princess. There is no option to purchase a cruise and flights separately.

Its one of the reasons our cruise prices seem on face value to be way overpriced, but on examination, bearing in mind early bird discounts, offers from travel agents etc, the prices stand up to US prices.

Just wondering - why didn't you book your own independent flights? Is it that cost effective in the UK to book the cruise & air together? Or is a convenience thing?

We sometimes try to book flights independently, if that is a realistic option. Independent flights can be VERY cost-effective for short-haul (principally within Europe), even when the cruise starts and ends at different ports.

For instance, last November, Princess would have charged 200 pounds per person to carry us on an early morning flight from London Heathrow to Rome, returning from Venice to London Gatwick. London airports can be a costly nightmare and we paid 51 pounds per person to fly with easyJet from our local airport. Our local airport was more convenient and the cost-saving paid for three nights in an excellent hotel in Rome.

Discounted airfares for transatlantic routes are also available from the UK to destinations such as New York, Miami, Orlando, LAX or San Francisco - but are usually restricted to return travel (or open-jaw).

To join the Amazon cruise, we could have flown from the UK to Manaus via a European or US gateway - with a further change of planes in Sao Paolo. Then, we could have flown back to the UK on a direct flight from Miami. However, that would have involved expensive one-way tickets for each sector. Realistically, the Princess charter flight appeared to be a convenient and cost-effective option. If only they had used a reliable airline!

It isn't a case of cost effectivness etc.

Over here, if flights are required they are part of the package (and price) provided by Princess. There is no option to purchase a cruise and flights separately.

Its one of the reasons our cruise prices seem on face value to be way overpriced, but on examination, bearing in mind early bird discounts, offers from travel agents etc, the prices stand up to US prices.

icon4.gif That is not always the case.

Cruise only fares ARE often available from the UK. Try costing the cruise via the Princess website (5% web discount) and also via your travel agent, who may be prepared to offer a better discount. The Princess website usually quote cruise-only prices at the end of the list of departure airports. For most European cruises in 2008/09, the cruise-only price seems to be 300 pounds lower than the flight-inclusive price.

OK. So you must arrange your own transfers, if you opt for cruise-only. Not a big deal. Also, it may be prudent to book overnight hotel accommodation. If anything goes wrong, you won't be protected by Sections 14 & 15 of the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992.

However, we always explore the cruise only option for European cruises - and in the past, I have purchased a cruise only fare on a Royal Caribbean voyage from Miami - booked via Bolsover Cruise Club in the UK.

Thanks for those explanations. Whenever possible, I book my own independent air instead of relying on Princess to make decisions for me, so that's why I was wondering. I guess with the open-jaw flights & limited flight options from the UK to Manaus, it made sense to book the way the OP did.

Iam back , stirrer in chief, I concur with the comments of Bob Troll, however I feel aggreived that Princess gave the $250 obc to everybody, I would not have minded receiving $250 for nothing.The pro rata rebate for the missed day was not advised by the Purser to the passengers concerned, we found out about this by word of mouth. Maybe they thought if they issued it as a credit via the booking agency after the cruise completion, passengers would feel grateful, or am I being cynical?

As for relevent pricing policies of Princess, I enquired about a trans pacific cruise with the onboard FutureCruise rep.The price for the cruise was shown in the brochure as $3900, plus any taxes(cruise only),. I was told these prices were not available to the UK passengers, the UK price was £4500 ( $8500 approx). I believe that the UK market is subsidising the US end of things. Also I enquired fro,m a US TA and was told Princess do not allow them to sell to UK passengers.

JLC@SD . My contract is with Princess NOT OMNI

under UK rules they are responsible and I am sure they will back charge OMNI for every cent and more they paid out

TOTO2Kansas. We booked a full package deal with Princess. It is possible to fly to MANAUS from MIA via Panama, as was done by a US passenger.

The upshot of the whole epsode is that some of the Princess staff were impolite and down right rude, as we were told at MIA "No time to go to hotel get in the bus for the airport" although the hotel break was part of our itinarary.

Princess UK have been appraised of my feelings now we await to see what , if any, response we get.

• 1 month later...

I sent a letter of complaint to Princess Cruises, Southampton, UK on May 3rd - seeking reimbursement of specific out-of-pocket expenses plus compensation for the discomfort and inconvenience suffered during the flight.

In this context, it is important to remember that for passengers from the UK, the tour operator (Princess) is primarily liable for performance of the entire contract - and that liability extends to problems with airlines, hotels and other subcontractors involved in the arrangements.

Many other passengers have submitted similar claims. As far as I am aware, Princess has not yet acknowledged, let alone responded to any of the complaints. That is an appalling public relations failure.

I have sent a reminder by Recorded Delivery - and if I have received no reply after 14 days, my next letter will be headed "Letter before Legal Action" and will be adddressed to Carnival plc at the company's registered office in London.

It is easy to quantify our out of pocket expenses. However, I am not sure how much I should claim for the physical discomfort, distress, loss of value and loss of enjoyment, which resulted directly and indirectly from the problems with our flight to Manaus.

The UK legal system is very different from the USA and I realise that if I am obliged to commence proceedings in the Small Claims Court, there would be no point in claiming frivolous figures. I shall welcome the views of other UK passengers regarding the appropriate amount to claim.

In the meantime, my wife is interested in booking another, very expensive cruise with Princess to the Far East and Australasia. She obviously has a short memory and so far, I have ignored her requests.

Of all the cruises I have been on, Princess seems to have the worst flights. I talked to lots of people who agree. I changed my cruise this year to RC because I did not want to get stuck for a whole extra day like last year. My boss would not be real happy.

I always book my own air. Regardless, I would not give Princess a pass, if they book the charter, they own the problems.

Stories like this reinforce why I always book my own air -- then if there is a problem I have only myself and the airline to blame.

I always book my own air. Regardless, I would not give Princess a pass, if they book the charter, they own the problems.

Stories like this reinforce why I always book my own air -- then if there is a problem I have only myself and the airline to blame.

There are many times when booking Princess air makes sense to me, and I probably use Princess air about half of the time. If you're in the U.S. and embarking from a U.S. port, most of the time it's better to book your own air but for my cruises, particularly if they are to exotic locations or have open-jaw flights, cruise air is better and more convenient. Even though I've used Princess air many times, I've never had bad flights or problems, even the two times I've embarked in Manaus. Last year, I put off booking my flights for my November cruise out of Athens, returning from Venice, because I was moving and had a lot of immediate expenses and when it came time to really make them, just before final payment, the air quotes were outrageous. So, I booked Princess air and wound up on the exact same Delta flights I'd researched as the most convenient for about half the cost.

The bottom line is to do your research and make the decision about what works best for you. Those flying in from the UK are in a completely different category since they don't have the option of purchasing their own air so I agree with them completely that they are owed something by Princess even though it was the airline's fault. If you have other options, then you can point to the airline but when Princess gives you no choice, then it's their responsibility.

When I read the OP of this thread, I think most of the inconvenience was food related. :p

a voucher for $15.to cover dinner and breakfast , would be given out. A dinner buffet was in excess of $20, including the ubiquitous gratuity,the balance to be paid by us.

Tuesday morning, roundup was at 0400, NO BREAKFAST

a cold croissant and coffee supplied by Omni.

Lunch arrived at 1130,everything was hunky dory,

we could buy local hamburghers as the plane had no food left.

the ship we were no given any sustance, only told the buffet was still open.

I'm packing snacks from now on! :D

I am booked on this cruise for Jan 2010 and currently have the Princess air booked. There are many stories on the boards that this flight is notoriously a problem - delays, aging aircraft, etc. I'd like to stay in Manaus a couple of days and do my own flights BUT the flights out of Manaus are either very expensive or have very long layovers or they only fly out once a week, etc. I still do hope to book my own air, but the more research I do, the more I think this is one time I'll end up taking Princess air. I'll make sure I have some sustenance, some good reading material, some audio books, other amusements and just being prepared for the worst. I'll try to make it part of the adventure, if I have to.;)

Cindy

After reading all the posts for this thread I have come to the following conclusions. 1) Omni Airlines has some major problems 2) Princess seems to have handled the situation quite fairly( not a Princess cheerleader....just basing it on everything stated in the posts) 3) Whether Princess booked the charter or not there is no way they can control any problems relating to plane problems or airline personel 4) Anyone who blames a cruise line, in this case Princess, for flight problems is thinking out of anger rather than through logic or 5) They are interesting in using the situation as an excuse to try to get something for nothing. JMHO

As a footnote, we booked a flight through Princess several years ago. The flight was cancelled and we had to fly the next day. The flight was cancelled due to bad weather at the airport of origin. The idea of blaming Princess for the cancellation never crossed my mind even though they could have booked me through a different hub.

After reading all the posts for this thread I have come to the following conclusions.

1) Omni Airlines has some major problems

2) Princess seems to have handled the situation quite fairly( not a Princess cheerleader....just basing it on everything stated in the posts)

3) Whether Princess booked the charter or not there is no way they can control any problems relating to plane problems or airline personel

4) Anyone who blames a cruise line, in this case Princess, for flight problems is thinking out of anger rather than through logic or

5) They are interesting in using the situation as an excuse to try to get something for nothing. JMHO

As a footnote, we booked a flight through Princess several years ago. The flight was cancelled and we had to fly the next day. The flight was cancelled due to bad weather at the airport of origin. The idea of blaming Princess for the cancellation never crossed my mind even though they could have booked me through a different hub.

4) Anyone who blames a cruise line, in this case Princess, for flight problems is thinking out of anger rather than through logic

That ignores the fact that Princess chartered an unsuitable airline. They chose the airline - and the choice was probably governed by price. There is plenty of evidence on other threads that Omni Air have problems. Common-sense dictates that you should not charter a 30-year old troop carrier to transport clients to a luxury cruise.

5) They are interesting in using the situation as an excuse to try to get something for nothing.

Words fail me. If you believe a two-day ordeal, with inadequate refreshments and appalling conditions is "nothing" - caused by the use of an aircraft that was not airworthy, I am lost for words.

4) Anyone who blames a cruise line, in this case Princess, for flight problems is thinking out of anger rather than through logic

That ignores the fact that Princess chartered an unsuitable airline. They chose the airline - and the choice was probably governed by price. There is plenty of evidence on other threads that Omni Air have problems. Common-sense dictates that you should not charter a 30-year old troop carrier to transport clients to a luxury cruise.

5) They are interesting in using the situation as an excuse to try to get something for nothing.

Words fail me. If you believe a two-day ordeal, with inadequate refreshments and appalling conditions is "nothing" - caused by the use of an aircraft that was not airworthy, I am lost for words.

Listen...While I agree that the plane itself was not the best the fact that it had problems is not unique onto Omni. Every airlines has a plane grounded from time to time for any of a variety of issues. That in itself does not deem them unsuitable. Although Omni appears in many threads as being less than adequate we all know that negative posts far outwiegh positive posts. It also appears from all the posts that both airlines and flights are extremely limited to say the least. Is it possible that to make the connections for your holiday that Omni was the only option? "Appalling conditions" They handled last minute reservations for 380 people, you ended up in a Sheraton.....

Lets look at the larger picture as it relates to Princess using Omni. Do you really think Princess would use Omni air( for quite a long period of time according to posts) if in fact the airlines overall quality and performance was consistently as bad as your experience. More importantly do you really think, in todays sue happy world, the CCL would allow Princess to needlessly risk both their reputation and the future of their entire business world. Corporations are run by their attorneys. You can talk all the laws you wish but rest assured Princess has met their responsibilities, probably exceeded them. That is not to say it was to your satisfaction.

In your eyes they may have ruined two days of your holiday. But, by harboring all this anger and allowing it to be your focal point, you are ruining the rest of your holiday yourself. I truly hope at some point you sign, shake your head, and begin to enjoy the balance of your holiday.

4) Anyone who blames a cruise line, in this case Princess, for flight problems is thinking out of anger rather than through logic or

5) They are interesting in using the situation as an excuse to try to get something for nothing. JMHO

Well I blame them Zacc and I wasn't on the plane nor the cruise so I'm not terribly angry nor am I trying to get something for nothing. :D

Princess (or any line or carrier) is responsible to me to provide what I've paid for, in the manner contracted for, barring such unavoidable situations as Acts of War/God etc. Princess chose to contract this rather shoddy charter airline. When said airline screws up Princess doesn't get to push the easy button & absolve themselves of responsibility. I would imagine also that Princess would be chatting with Omni regarding compensation for the costs Princess incurred as a result of Omni's lack of performance -- wouldn't ya think? And yes Zacc, if in the balance the bottom line still shows in the black, they would use them and particularly so if they have a vested interest. They had a big mess with the Tahiti flight years ago and they are still using them today. Does this say anything?

Your situation was weather - an Act of God I believe. Weather challenges are the reason I, were possible, fly out at least one day early when I'm going on a cruise. And situations such as this one are why I make my own arrangements whenever possible.

I'm confused why, as I understand it, ALL the passengers on the ship got the $250 OBC?? It seems only the Omni travelers were affected, the balance being on the ship eating, drinking and sleeping as per norm. Can't understand why all would get this credit.

I feel Bob is handling this in an even tempered and down to earth manner. And I believe he is well back from his vacation. :D

Well I blame them Zacc and I wasn't on the plane nor the cruise so I'm not terribly angry nor am I trying to get something for nothing. :D

Princess (or any line or carrier) is responsible to me to provide what I've paid for, in the manner contracted for, barring such unavoidable situations as Acts of War/God etc. Princess chose to contract this rather shoddy charter airline. When said airline screws up Princess doesn't get to push the easy button & absolve themselves of responsibility. I would imagine also that Princess would be chatting with Omni regarding compensation for the costs Princess incurred as a result of Omni's lack of performance -- wouldn't ya think? And yes Zacc, if in the balance the bottom line still shows in the black, they would use them and particularly so if they have a vested interest. They had a big mess with the Tahiti flight years ago and they are still using them today. Does this say anything?

Your situation was weather - an Act of God I believe. Weather challenges are the reason I, were possible, fly out at least one day early when I'm going on a cruise. And situations such as this one are why I make my own arrangements whenever possible.

I'm confused why, as I understand it, ALL the passengers on the ship got the $250 OBC?? It seems only the Omni travelers were affected, the balance being on the ship eating, drinking and sleeping as per norm. Can't understand why all would get this credit.

I feel Bob is handling this in an even tempered and down to earth manner. And I believe he is well back from his vacation. :D

Thats the great thing about freedom, everyone is entitled to their own opinion! I simply find it interesting that others on this cruise, in the same situation, affected by the same decisions, felt that Princess handled the problem in a way that they were happy with. Since the OP was familiar with Omni and their problems perhaps he should have opted not to go if they were the only choice. By deciding to go I believe he assumed a portion of the responsibility himself. On of the major problems we face today is that no one wants to assume responsiblity, many simply want to pass that unto someone else.

4) Anyone who blames a cruise line, in this case Princess, for flight problems is thinking out of anger rather than through logic or 5) They are interesting in using the situation as an excuse to try to get something for nothing. JMHO

Ordinarily, I would agree with you but in this case, Princess has contracted out the air and if it doesn't get the passengers to their destination at or near the time contracted, then Princess is responsible for providing relief for their personal costs and at least a OBC specifically for those who experienced the delays. Then, they can go to the contractor and get their relief.

There are two things here that perhaps some people aren't taking into consideration. One is that Manaus is somewhat unique in that getting there and returning is very difficult for passengers, particularly those from the U.S., so Princess contracts flights for the convenience of their passengers. There are very few flights to/from the U.S. to Manaus and almost all of them make at least a stop or two from the southernmost U.S. flight embarkation point. Yes, it's a convenience but frankly, they wouldn't be able to sell a cruise to/from Manaus without that service so it's pretty much essential.

The second is that because almost all cruises to/from Manaus are packaged with the flight, whether you're coming from the U.S. or U.K., that IMHO makes Princess far more responsible for flights and the performance of their contractors. Yes, "stuff" happens but there are several cruises to/from Manaus every year and I would guess that this is a pretty large contract for Omni or World and they, and Princess, should be providing better, more reliable service to start with and when things happen, compensate those affected better.

Because all those already on board the ship were affected. Instead of leaving Manaus, the ship waited until the Omni passengers arrived. A port was missed by all as a result.

The Omni passengers received additional compensation for the time they missed being on the ship.

The Omni passengers received additional compensation for the time they missed being on the ship.

That is the vital point.

Every passenger on the cruise received USD250 OBC - to compensate for missing the scheduled call at Tobago.

Princess also refunded one fourteenth of the original fare to those passengers who travelled on the Omni flight - in recognition that the delay reduced the duration of their cruise from 14 days to only 13 days.

In other words, Princess paid suitable compensation for truncation of the cruise.

They have not paid or offered any compensation for the physical discomfort, distress, or loss of enjoyment, which resulted directly and indirectly from the problems with the flight to Manaus.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - and if I cruise the Amazon again, I would certainly consider back-to-back cruises.

However, that is not the point, because we cannot turn the clock back. Furthermore, my initial claim for compensation was not motivated by anger - but rather by the fact that Princess failed to deliver. Even so, I am becoming angry that I have not even received the courtesy of a reply from Princess.

My wife and I paid a lot of money for this vacation and we are surely entitled to reasonable compensation for what happened between the time we checked in for the flight until our arrival at Manaus. I do not expect Princess to pay a ridiculous figure - but I do believe they should offer a reasonable amount of compensation.

Passengers who booked this cruise as a complete package from the UK can rely upon UK law, which provides that the tour operator (Princess Cruises) is primarily liable for the performance of all aspects of the contract - including flights etc. That means that passengers from the UK would not need to bring separate proceedings in the American courts against Omni Air. The position for passengers from the USA and other countries might be different.

After a long delay, Princess Cruises (UK) replied to my complaint. They responded with a well-written letter of apology, which did not appear to have been written by corporate lawyers.

Refreshingly, Princess have made no excuses for what happened at Miami. On the contrary, they stated, "As you know, delays can and do happen, but if this is the case, then our passengers should be looked after with the highest level of customer service throughout the disruption. ... we did let you down on this occasion, for which I apologise. You have every right to be disappointed ..."

It would be inappropriate for me to publish details of our settlement on a public Internet forum. Suffice to say that Princess have paid additional compensation and with the additional payment, I believe they have acted fairly. I also understand that an additional "gift" is on its way to me.

:)

Archived