Bringing my own milk?

superdoll

Yeah, not wine, not liquor - milk! This is the first time cruising with our 1 yr old who only drinks organic whole milk. I am planning on bringing 2 half gallons on board - do you think I'll run into any problems? Are they going to confiscate my goods?

Yeah, not wine, not liquor - milk! This is the first time cruising with our 1 yr old who only drinks organic whole milk. I am planning on bringing 2 half gallons on board - do you think I'll run into any problems? Are they going to confiscate my goods?

No I would not think there would be any problem. :)

I do not know about Princess confiscating it (depending on where you are going there may be agricultural restrictions, etc.), but in my past experience the mini-fridge that you will have in your cabin may not keep an appropriate temperature (I've had mini-fridges where the soda inside never got cold).

Perhaps someone else who has a temperature-sensitive medication or something can comment on this? The fridge is very small, and I don't even know if it would fit that much? If it is not for a medical reason I might recommend going with what is served on board which meets US standards though will not be organic.

I understand the need to stick with what your child drinks. I often try to buy organic produce, and do get organic milk when I am at home, but do not keep to it when at a restaurant or on vacation. Would the soy or lactaid milk single-serving containers be of any use? I believe some can be kept at room temperature?

Even if you could get it onboard the ship and keep it safe, how would you plan on keeping it safe getting to port? Unless you're within driving distance I cannot imagine that you would have a safe way to take it on the airlines.

Even if you could get it onboard the ship and keep it safe, how would you plan on keeping it safe getting to port? Unless you're within driving distance I cannot imagine that you would have a safe way to take it on the airlines.

The OP lives in LA which is where The Golden Princess sails from.

I don't think they will have any problems at all taking the milk onboard after explaining what it is for.

Mike

How about bringing along one of those fold-up coolers for the milk. I'm sure your cabin steward would be more than happy to keep it filled with ice for you.

Lew

I agree! The refrigerator temps are fine for soft drinks, but not for milk. Bring a cooler and ask your steward to keep it filled with ice.

I also agree with you, a cruise is not the time to try new things!

And no, they won't take your milk away when you board.

Have a wonderful cruise,

try horizon organic whole milk shelf stable juice box sized boxes. we get a case or the organic choc milk for our son and we just pop a few into the fridge at a time that way it would be easier for you. I know you can even order it from amazon.

We also buy the Horizon organic small size boxes. Our d.d. (8 y.o.) takes it to school, and we also bring it along when we first open up our summer house so we have milk for coffee in the a.m. Tastes yummy!

Thanks everyone! We do live in L.A. so getting it to port is no problem. It's actually half gallon sizes and we would keep one in our room and one in MIL's room. I seem to recall fitting a champagne bottle upright in the fridge so i am thinking a half gallon will fit.

As for the Horizon milk - I have never seen it the small juice box size in whole milk, only low-fat, and even though it isn't truly 'organic' I would take it if I could find those small sizes in whole milk!

ETA: I just looked on the Horizon website and they don't make the single servings in plain whole milk, only reduced fat :(

Have you contacted Princess about this? They may be able to accommodate your child's need for the special milk. They will meet special dietary needs. You just have to let them know. You may not have to lug all that milk with you. I requested soy milk on one cruise and got it. Call them. The worst they can say is "no."

He has never had soy or lactaid so I don't think I want to try it now - I would hate for him to have an allergy issue. I just hate the milk they have on board - it really tastes nasty :(

Are you talking about the icky milk they have for coffee or the milk they have in cartons for breakfast?? Because we never noticed any difference from the carton milk and the milk we have at home.

Also since it is only a week, you might want to reconsider the reduced fat Horizon....it would be so convenient for you. You can order a case of 30 that comes in a nice sturdy cardboard box and it would just transport so easily!!!! My opinion, although you didn't ask, is you should buy a 3 pack of the reduced fat, get it good and cold and slip it to junior in his bottle or sippy cup. If he drinks it you are good to go!!!!

Illionoisgal - Horizon is a huge company and they purchase their milk from dozens of factory farms other then their own. Their own factory farm is an over 10,000 cow farm in which the cows are hooked up to machinery, do not graze and are kept in confined spaces. They do get 'some' of there milk (a very small percentage) from small, family own/run organic co-ops - just enough to be 'certified organic'. Horizon is owned by Dean Foods which also owns Alta Dena - and all the milk comes from the same sources! So while Horizon is tad bit better then conventionally produced milk. If you are interested, here is a great link that gives ratings for organic dairy products...

http://cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html

Even with all that said, as you and Dosi suggested, I may just go ahead and get the reduced fat single serving boxes for the trip. I can give him whole fat yogurt and cheese on the ship so I am sure he'll get plenty of nutrients. Thanks!

Dosi - I was referring to the milk they had at the breakfast buffets in cartons. It just always tasted odd to me!

Are you talking about the icky milk they have for coffee or the milk they have in cartons for breakfast?? Because we never noticed any difference from the carton milk and the milk we have at home.

Also since it is only a week, you might want to reconsider the reduced fat Horizon....it would be so convenient for you. You can order a case of 30 that comes in a nice sturdy cardboard box and it would just transport so easily!!!! My opinion, although you didn't ask, is you should buy a 3 pack of the reduced fat, get it good and cold and slip it to junior in his bottle or sippy cup. If he drinks it you are good to go!!!!

It isn't a matter of "will junior like this" or not. Kids aged 1 to 2 NEED the fat in whole milk.

......you are going to haul your own organic milk on board to ensure that your son gets the truly organic milk from the proper source yet you are going to feed him fully fat yogurt and cheese available on board?

Last time I checked the ingredient list on yogurt and cheese, they are milk products too. I don't think the cheese and yogurt available on Princess is organic (at least it wasn't in March when we last cruised). While toddlers do need full fat milk and I am sure if he can survive with the yogurt and cheese provided by the ship he can drink the milk too. I just don't understand why the milk is an issue and the yogurt and cheese aren't. Don't get me wrong, I know toddlers can be funny eaters and I have hauled a whole weeks worth of food on vacation when my son was young but your "organic" issue doesn't make any sense to me. You are inconsistant with your application.

I am not considering hauling the organic milk because it's organic - it's because I can't stand the taste of the milk on board, as I stated previously. And by saying I can give him full fat yogurt and cheese on the ship, I should have clarified meaning I can bring that. The ones I do feed him are organic and I can easily pack a 12 pack of yogurt and a pack of string cheese in his diaper bag and fit it in the fridge.

Call them and ask. Or have your doctor fill out the medical form stating such.

mmmmmmmmmm yo baby yogurt.......ahhhh now you have me thinking back to the good old days......mouthful for baby and mouthful for me......mouthful for baby and mouthful for me:D .

and yes, i am well aware that the 1-2 set should have full fat milk, i was merely suggesting that one week on reduced fat would likely do no harm.:)

Don't have experience with milk, but I have lots of dietary restrictions so on our last cruise I brought along some of my own food...one item was organic turkey slices that I buy from a health food store (I'm sensitive and react to lots of ingredients in regular type luncheon meats). I froze them before I left the house and brought along some of those little flexible (and some hard) blue ice things. My turkey was okay for the first day or two, but the refrigerator did not keep it cold enough to feel comfortable eating after that, so definitely you'll have to work something out with a cooler and ice for the milk.

Just a hint about the refrigerators on the ship. They will cool much better if the wooden cabinet door is left open. On some of the ships you need to lift up on the cabin door after opening it to disengage the refrigerator door. Opening the cabinet (and closing the refrigerator) door allows for full ventilation and much better cooling.

Archived