5 major airlines to charge for 2nd checked bag!

Leejnd4

I think it's about time that the weight allowance took into account the total weight of the passenger and their baggage. If the person next to me on the plane weighs 32kg more than I do why should we have the same limits on weight of baggage? Probably not a popular suggestion but something to think about.

I think it's about time that the weight allowance took into account the total weight of the passenger and their baggage. If the person next to me on the plane weighs 32kg more than I do why should we have the same limits on weight of baggage? Probably not a popular suggestion but something to think about.
Southwest already has a policy for people of size. If you cannot lower the armrest you are required to pre-purchase a second seat.

If you get on the plane and it is not oversold you can apply for a refund after the flight.

Their policy has less to do with fuel economy and more to do about customer satisfaction. They are the only airline that I know of that has an enforced policy in place.

But, you are correct. A person weighing 150 lb with two checked bags weighing 30 lbs each (total weight 210 lbs) would pay an extra $25. A passenger weighing 200 and checking in a 50 lb bag would pay nothing extra.

Probably something to add to my list of airline charge predictions. Of course, it would be after years of legal hassles.

Charlie

I do understand the "pay as you go" concept. I'm just unhappy that it seems that the airlines are giving less and less and less. (And the fares that I'm looking at are going UP, not down.)

The airlines (whom I am not defending, BTW) are giving less as a response to consumer demand. The old saying is that you can have it good, fast, or cheap, but not all three. Air travel has become a commodity, with 'cheap' and 'cheap' being the driving factors. Over a period of, say, two decades, airfares actually decreased considerably when adjusted for inflation. This meant that the airlines had to sacrifice something to make that happen, and service and quality were what went. I agree with you that fares have gone up as of late -- the spiraling price of oil has everything to do with this. Given the trend of bankruptcy and consolidation in the industry, it's not likely that we'll see any improvements for the forseeable future.

I think it time for all of the whiners to boycott the airlines that want them to pay for the services they use. Then they can get in their gas guzzling SUV's and drive to the ports with their stuffed suitcases tied to the top.

Then when they get home they can start a new thread titled "How I Over Packed"

I find it highly ironic that someone who is fortunate enough to get to go scuba diving AND on a cruise is besmirching the airlines for charging them more now to get there.

Wear your scuba gear on formal night...problem solved.

I agree with you. I've sat next to passengers who weighed more than my husband & me combined! :( Still, if I bring an extra bag, it'll cost me.

However lets also remember that gas in europe is in liters. THere are about 3.75 liters to a gallon, and right now the average price of a liter of regular gas in most european countries is about $2.50 (+/-). so multiply that times 3.75 and they are paying about $9.00 per gallon of gas........

Try to think about that when you are complaining at the pump here in the US.

Anyway, As I have posted before, John and I each Check One bag which have never been overweight. We check a third small bag with our shaving kits, liquids, etc....and we each carry on one SMALL bag ( think napsack or duffle as opposed to 20" roller bag stuffed full as we see frequently ), which actually CAN fit under the seat in front of us, however we put them in the over head because we feel we don't over pack so why should we lose leg room to a hoader onboard. A $25.00 charge for our third little bag each way is NOT going to affect our vacation.

We start by packing what we feel is 'required'. We each bring a full tux outfit, a dinner jacket ( if there is more than 1 formal ), a navy blazer with slacks, two white shirts and a couple of accessories.

Next we pack our daywear. maybe two pairs of shorts, two swim suits, a couple of polos or short sleeve shirts........

Finally the essentials...a couple pair of sport socks, a couple pair of dark socks, 4 or 5 pair of underware, two whit t-shirts and a pair of pj bottoms.

We have learned its easier to do laundry one or twice than to lug a whole lot of crap around. Most of the time you can wear shorts or a shirt more than once, especially just to hang out or do a shore excursion.

I know its more difficult for women, but SIL has it down with a simple black dress, with a jacket or wrap and different accessories for formal and informal...and basically follows our packing habits.

As I said we have NEVER been over the weight limit, however we do pack a small expandable bag just in case we can't fit our souvenirs in our bags.

This isn't brain surgery, its common sense, and most people bring TOO MUCH. size down people, re wear clothing, do laundry when needed...Its NOT that expensive and deal with the extra baggage charges.

As one poster said The cost of flights has gone down significantly in the past couple of years. We have flown Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale for as little as $59 each way, to Las Vegas from $59.00 each way, to Seattle from $79$ each way, and LA from 89 - 99 each way.

Just IMHO

Dave:eek:

IMO some are taking this extra bag/weight thing to the extreme. " Ishould not have to pay the same as someone who weighs more than I?" People, get real!

Maybe the airlines should just come up with a formula where they weigh every passenger & their baggage & charge by the pound.:confused: And then the cruiselines can charge by the pound also.

IMO some are taking this extra bag/weight thing to the extreme. " Ishould not have to pay the same as someone who weighs more than I?" People, get real!

Maybe the airlines should just come up with a formula where they weigh every passenger & their baggage & charge by the pound.:confused: And then the cruiselines can charge by the pound also.

I like the sound of that!:D

Exactly, and with them restricting the liquids, there is no way I'm putting all the liquids in with my clothing and there is no way I can get my liquids in with my clothing and all in one bag and be less than 50 pounds.

I solved the liquids problem by not bringing any. All of the cruise ports I have left from are in areas where I can get to a Pharmacy and just buy what I need for the cruise when I get there. The only things I bring are my cosmetics.

We have traveled on both 7 cruises with two suitcases (one each) and two carry on bags - and we bring our own snorkeling gear. I don't want to haul that much stuff around with me. Actually, I brought too much stuff last year. I didn't wear enough clothes so I could have gone another couple of days.

My biggest problem are shoes, especially DH's since they are so big. But I make use of the ship's cleaning service for his shirts. My own formalwear packs well since I bring simple sheath dresses to dress up with accessories. All that heavy stuff goes in the carry-on anyway.

I would prefer that airlines charge more for tickets upfront—yes for everyone—than to charge $25 for a second piece of luggage. If all passengers are assessed, then the amount extra will likely be less than $25, since the cost is spread over more passengers, not all of whom will bring an extra bag.

I would be against this since I do a lot of traveling, and most of the time I don't check any luggage at all and live out of carry-on luggage. The couple of times a year I do check luggage, I would deal with an extra charge if necessary.

Frankly the charge just doesn't make much sense.

As another poster pointed out, collecting $25 at the ticket counter is probably going to cost a good portion if not most of the $25 in additional administration and systems.

And, its simply going to encourage more people to carry-on the largest permissible bag packed with their heaviest items. This is hardly going to reduce the weight of a plane at takeoff. And its certainly going to make it more fun boarding and exiting. ;)

One wonders how much thought was given to this scheme, and by who. It occurs to me that the people who are actually involved in day-to-day airline operations must be wondering the same thing.

I have actually thought long and hard about this and I have a plan.

I will be packing three formal gowns for my next cruise, a Trans Atlantic from BCN to SJ. My gowns I'm planning on bringing are very formal, but also very light weight. I won't be bringing anything structured or with heavy beading, but very formal full length none the less. Then for Informal I will probably bring two light weight cocktail dresses, and will repeat one. It is then that I plan to bring only about three or 4 day time outfits and will repeat. I even have this crazy Idea that I can wash these outfits out using a giant zip lock bag and a mesh laudry bag.

I will keep all my shoes and other items to a minimum. If I can't fit all of this in one suitcase, then our family plans to pack one overflow bag maybe two, but for the whole family , another two bags at $100 for the entire trip compared to the cost that we are currently already incurring is really not very much. If we had to, we could forego an excursion in one port or something. But all of us will definitely still be bringing all our formal wear, including tuxedos for our two guys, just get used to me in same three or 4 day time outfits. (Casual night will also be some repeats..)

This may be one step in the cruise industry to eliminate the FORMAL nights. By that, I mean tuxes and really fancy female wear. It just isn't worth it for the few hours you're wearing it.

Also, no one on this board has mentioned "total weight" per passenger --how about the person and their baggage. That way a 40# child buying a seat and traveling w/parents would be allowed mega #s of baggage. And the "seat hog" may have to buy 2 tickets.:D

Frankly the charge just doesn't make much sense.

Sense? In the airline industry?? That might be asking too much. ;)

I don't think the actual purpose of this is to reduce weight, per se, but to recoup costs (namely fuel) in a manner other than fares. Think of it as a user fee, not terribly dissimilar to charging for food. I would agree that the result will be more passengers checking in one heavier bag (close to the weight limit) and carrying on as much as they can get away with. As for costs, many of the European discount carriers allow passengers to pre-pay the baggage fees online, with the added disincentive of having an even higher fee to pay at the airport. Of course these same carriers are known to tack on extra fees for credit card payment, priority boarding, seat assignment, etc. We're already seeing some of these trends coming to mainstream North American carriers -- are others to follow? Time will tell.

"Frankly the charge just doesn't make much sense.

As another poster pointed out, collecting $25 at the ticket counter is probably going to cost a good portion if not most of the $25 in additional administration and systems"

Every ticket counter is electronic...the only problem would be cash that would slow things down...and all airlines have a cash box in the 'control' room.

So it is as simple as swiping a credit card. McDonalds does it, gas stations do it, convenience stores do it. The airlines are already set up with credit card machines, and if you are e-ticketed and just checking bags.....the number of tags printed out will automatically let the agent know how many bags and what to chage, they ask fror a card, swipe and you're done.

I don't see the problem, the cost is minimal in the scheme of things.

BTW: I also think CruiseArizona has it right...great example!

Dave:eek:

Also, no one on this board has mentioned "total weight" per passenger --how about the person and their baggage. That way a 40# child buying a seat and traveling w/parents would be allowed mega #s of baggage. And the "seat hog" may have to buy 2 tickets.:D

Yup, they have, take a look.

Is it feasible, without a major discrimination lawsuit? Probably not. As has been pointed out, Southwest Airlines charge "passengers of size" for taking up an extra seat, not for their weight. The contract between passenger and airline is for a seat on the aircraft, regardless of how much of this seat the passenger takes up; that's why children are usually charged a full fare. The argument for modified baggage allowance based on passenger weight carries some logic -- not that logic flies in the airline business -- but at the same time brings into play numerous other legal and public relations issues.

Every ticket counter is electronic...the only problem would be cash that would slow things down...and all airlines have a cash box in the 'control' room.

So it is as simple as swiping a credit card. McDonalds does it, gas stations do it, convenience stores do it. The airlines are already set up with credit card machines, and if you are e-ticketed and just checking bags.....the number of tags printed out will automatically let the agent know how many bags and what to chage, they ask fror a card, swipe and you're done.

I don't see the problem, the cost is minimal in the scheme of things.

I wasn't saying it wasn't doable, just trying to point out that IMO the costs of implementation struck me as potentially higher than the monetary gain.

Slower lines ultimately lead to higher counter costs, either more people working to cover the volume or people working longer shifts - potentially a HUGE additional cost. Handling cash means counting it, keeping it safe, making sure that someone isn't pocketing some of it, etc., etc. More cash, more work, more employees? Credit card swipes cost merchants money - fees to cc company, fees to whoever is clearing the transaction, additional data communications & data processing requirements because of higher loads, etc. Software development, testing, maintenance, documentation and training costs to adapt booking & check-in software. Possibly additional paper costs for receipts etc.

I find it highly ironic that someone who is fortunate enough to get to go scuba diving AND on a cruise is besmirching the airlines for charging them more now to get there.

Wear your scuba gear on formal night...problem solved.

Watch for me in the dining room. I'll be the one in a wetsuit, BCD jacket, mask and fins. (Please try not to step on my fins...it could make me trip.)

:D

Hey, I'm just venting over ANOTHER added cost to travel. Is there something wrong with that? I realize I'm VERY fortunate to be able to do all the things that I do. But when I get slapped with another fee, I can't help but want to grouse a bit. I may be fortunate, but I'm not Bill Gates, so ya, adding an unexpected $100 to my vacation is an ouch moment. Does anyone out there LIKE spending more money for the same thing?

As for air fares, I must be going to the wrong places. Every place *I've* flown in the past several years has gotten progressively more expensive. I'm now looking at airfares to Rome for my next cruise, and it's up near $1000! The last time I flew to Rome (in 2005) it was about $500. Ouch.

I do realize the factors behind all this - rising fuel costs, bankrupt airlines, etc. That doesn't take away the sting of yet another added charge.

But seriously, what bothers me the most about this is the idea that we're going to continue to see an erosion of formal night. I LIKE getting all gussied up for formal night, and I like seeing everyone in their finery. Whether we think the new fee is a justified, or a good idea or whatever, one result is GOING to be people looking to avoid it by packing lighter. People are already discussing it in here. So expect to see more sun-dresses and simple sheaths in the dining room, and fewer tuxes and fancy gowns. :(

What now will I do with my fancy gown??? I have no other place to wear it! (I suppose I could wear it scuba-diving...) :D

Archived