slow sales for our cruise..

hulamoon

Aloha Everyone,

We are booked on the 5/20 Zuiderdam and I noticed it is still discounted and all categories seem available. I think it means the ship may not sell out. So are their opportunites to take advatage of I am unaware to do? Are there risks we may leave with less crew or cancel?

Thanks

Aloha Everyone,

We are booked on the 5/20 Zuiderdam and I noticed it is still discounted and all categories seem available. I think it means the ship may not sell out. So are their opportunites to take advatage of I am unaware to do? Are there risks we may leave with less crew or cancel?

Thanks

They wouldn't cancel the cruise - there wouldn't be any income for that time period. The great majority of crew are from the Philippines and Indonesia, and they are on contract, so they would have to be paid whether they are on board or not.

HAL doesn't often "upsell" on request, but in this situation you might be able to get an upgrade in cabin without too much extra in fare.

Zuiderdam ALWAYS sails full. It will sail full on 5/20.

You must realize that 5/20 is the "off season" in the Caribbean.

Demand from the snow birds is lower, so advance bookings are not so numerous, nor so early.

The bargain hunters in Florida will fill up the ship in the 2 weeks before the cruise.

While it is usually true that ships fill up fast in May in Florida, it may not be this year unless the bargain hunters come from Europe. Both my son and his girl friend are in management for top resorts in South Florida. Both say their May reservations have fallen precipitously, well below last year at the same time. That is how hotels often compare results, by year-to-year performance.

They have both said that bookings are way off this May. Furthermore one of the resort hotels I reference is popular as a pre- and post-cruise hotel for passengers. I suspect that is kind of an early-warning system for both the hotel and cruise industry.

Hopefully things will look up suddenly for the tourism industry, but when times call for belt-tightening, the hospitality industry is one of the first to take a hit. Several popular restaurants near us have already closed this month, including a favorite of mine, Macaroni Grill.

Aloha Everyone,

Thanks

I have to agree that I am getting flooded with emails and snail mail for for many bookings out of Europe this year. This will be the third sailing for the Zuiderdam out of Dry Dock and her first leaving from Barcelona, Spain. Possible it is because it is leaving from Spain. Like Philip mentioned I am sure it will still sail full but not with People from FLorida but more Europeans that chose to Holiday last minute.

Just my personal feeling that while the Euro may be strong Cruising is not big with Europeans. So I think that it will be a challenge for cruiselines to continue to push their cruise sales.

I don't work for HAL, but another large cruise line. Our latest marketing reports came in today. Bookings for the remainder of 2008 are higher in every location than they were in 2007 - except Mexico. Caribbean bookings are up only 3% above last year. Europe is up 10% over last year. Alaska is up 6% over last year. Hawaii up 12% over last year. South America and Asia are up a whopping 40% over last year.

This is not a good year to be in the hotel business in America - but a great year to be in the cruise industry.

Demand from the snow birds is lower, so advance bookings are not so numerous, nor so early.

The bargain hunters in Florida will fill up the ship in the 2 weeks before the cruise.

The Zuiderdam has left the caribbean until late fall /early winter. Right now it is in drydock in Italy. You should know that.

:confused: Did you say May 20 sailing?

Zuiderdam left for an 18 day transatlantic sailing on March 15.

Aren't all HAL ships out of the Caribbean from mid to end of April until mid to end of October each year?

:confused: Did you say May 20 sailing?

Zuiderdam left for an 18 day transatlantic sailing on March 15. She's in the Mediterranean.

Aren't all HAL ships out of the Caribbean from mid to end of April until mid to end of October each year?

Yep. Philip should know this since he worked for HAL for many years even if he does not now.

How embarassing, it took me days to find my question to see what you recommended! The good news is I do know I am sailing in Europe! I will call and see if upgrades get cheaper, heck maybe we will bring some more people ourselves. We are coming in from Hawaii and may sleep through a couple of ports. it is a good thing barcelona is such a late night city and I have seen it before.

I turn 50 on this cruise! I am hoping the spa has great treatments for time zone issues and birthday relaxation.

How embarassing, it took me days to find my question to see what you recommended! The good news is I do know I am sailing in Europe! I will call and see if upgrades get cheaper, heck maybe we will bring some more people ourselves. We are coming in from Hawaii and may sleep through a couple of ports. it is a good thing barcelona is such a late night city and I have seen it before.

I turn 50 on this cruise! I am hoping the spa has great treatments for time zone issues and birthday relaxation.

:D I'm amazed that somebody who lives in Hawaii would ever want to leave.

:D I'm amazed that somebody who lives in Hawaii would ever want to leave.

I think the same thing about Europeans crusing the caribbean. I am like, why not the med? LOL! I guess our point of view does change some by where we live, huh?

The 2007 holiday cruise on Explorer of the Seas out of NJ to the Carribean was only 25% U.S. 50% of the passengers were British and the rest was a mix of Canadians, Germans, Irish and other Europeans. They could not believe the prices and they were buying clothes, electronics and liquor like crazy.

We are cruising next month on Brilliance of the Seas to Europe. The cruise ended up at $100 a day after deducting onboard credit. I consider that a screaming bargain for Europe. I was delighted the cruise was not selling well and we got $500 a person off the original booking price. This week was the first week I saw categories closed.

I wouldn't worry about the HAL ship not being full. They have a habit of selling lots of guarantees. This gives them more flexibility at the end.

Zuiderdam is doing a 12 night MED cruise on May 20, 2008.... not caribbean !!!

I just upgraded a client from a balcony to a suite on this sailing for a ridiculous cost of $768.00 total for two passengers. Call your TA and they should be able to offer you something that may be what you are looking for regarding an upgrade , but do not look for a fare reduction !

Good Luck :D

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I posted here last night, becaue I do not see it I will try again.

thanks for all of your wellwishes, I am very excited to cruise the Med, all of my previous European/Middle East experiences have been with a back pack, I think I still have a back ache! ;)

We didn't call in time to get a great upgrade deal, but nevertheless our guarantee seems to have been assigned to a balcony with a tub for sure and a plexiglass railing. I emailed the TA so I suppose if there are any cancelations the new deals will be expensive, but otherwise we will be greatful for the plexiglass. I think I went from VH to VA. Whatever that really means.

I have spent hours reading these posts and getting good information. I am amazed at all the cruising going on, it has inspired me to look for the best possible experience in cabin assignment and cruise sales. It never occured to me how much strategy is involved! All of my previous bookings have been 30 days out, and I think I have picked up good value but next I may try for more perk value.

We love Hawaii, but when one works in a vacation spot changing time zones is very important. People always ask why we leave Hawaii. The answer is getting out of your climate, culture and time zone is a great way to reset the nervous system. I like to think with every trip I have taken I return better for the experience.

I sold my business last month, so we have yet another celebration for this cruise. Maybe I will next develop a booklet for language skills at cruise ports.

Mahalo nui loa..

Sharie

Archived