beware of credit card fraud

cruiseaddick

i just found out today that my credit card was charged $10,000.00 after we returned from our cruise to belize in august. we only used this card to purchase a ring at diamonds international in cozumel and for our sign and sail card on the ship. a charge of $3,500.00 was put on our card sept 21 at the golden lemon in st kitts and after that $6,000.00 was charged at the crystal paradise resort in belize. we have thought very hard on how this might have happened . we have notified the credit card company. i really feel it was room steward. since my husband had his credit card in his eyeglass case in the drawer and it was in another drawer when we returned to the room. we had our money and wallet locked in the room safe but needed to lock the safe with a credit card. how stupid is this. how do you lock the safe and keep your credit card safe at the same time. credit card company said they would investigate but it just angers me that someone had such an expensive vacation on me.

The last cruise I was on had a pin pad for you to create your own security code. It was so much easier because my husband and I could use the safe without the other one being present. Last time I was on a cruise that needed a card, it was ANY card with a magnetic strip - I beleive I used a grocery discount card. I was planning on taking my library card for this trip. Then I was going to lock the card in a small suitcase with a small combination lock. My two traveling companions then could have the combination so they can get into the safe if needed.

i really feel it was room steward.

How could the steward possibly use your card for huge charges like $3,500 and $6,000 without any other I.D.??? (And isn't it possible that your husband put the glass case in the wrong drawer?) I would hate to see a cabin steward accused of something like this with so little to go on.

I hope you get it cleared up. Please let us know.

but needed to lock the safe with a credit card.

For future reference...choose another card with a magnetic strip on it [not your S&S/keeycard though]. Something like a drivers licence/food store card/airline "frequent flyer" card. There are dozens of them around. I hope you have no problem getting your money back

I never realized you could use any card with a magnetic strip. Only went on one cruise that required a card for safe access. I prefer the code system myself. No one but DH and myself know the code.

Unfortunately, CC fraud happens all the time. Had a friend who was doing missionary work in Africa. Someone got hold of his CC and charged over $15K. Most thiefs purchase over the internet so no ID is needed. Any company you are ordering from never checks with the CC company for your address so how are they going to know.

Good luck with your CC company. They should take the purchases off your bill. At least any reputable company would.

For future reference...choose another card with a magnetic strip on it [not your S&S/keeycard though]. Something like a drivers licence/food store card/airline "frequent flyer" card. There are dozens of them around. I hope you have no problem getting your money back

If the safe can be opened with any card with a magnetic strip, couldn't anyone with a card with a magentic strip open the safe? Does the safe mechanism read your strip and only open with your card? How does this work?

If the safe can be opened with any card with a magnetic strip, couldn't anyone with a card with a magentic strip open the safe? Does the safe mechanism read your strip and only open with your card? How does this work?
The safe may only be unlocked by the *same* card that locks it.

It was not your room steward, it was COZUMEL!!!! This is approximately the 15th time I've heard of this happening to CC'ers that used their card in Cozumel!

DO NOT USE A CHARGE CARD IN COZUMEL!! We rented a car, they asked for a charge card to hold it, I showed them my old ATM card that didnt even work anymore, there was no way I was giving them my credit card after hearing the stories on this board. I'm sorry this happened to you, and hope it can be resolved quickly. I hope that others on here learn from this experience, and if there is something you must buy in Cozumel, try to pay cash!

Thanks to the OP for at least bringing this to the attention of members of this board. An unfortunate situation like this can be a good lesson for others.

Another practice that I learned on this board is to call my credit card company and advise them of my itenerary. That way we are both protected.

Two possible situations are I go to buy something in port only to have the purchase denied by the credit card company. The credit card company is thinking they are protecting me because my history does not indicate that I have ever purchased abroad before therefore this must be a fraudulant purchase,,, or situation 2 ,,,, a purchase is made in a port 2 days after I left the port and the credit card company approves the purchase. It is noted in my account what my ititerary was and I can prove that I wasn't in port that day. Now I've done a CYA on my part.

:) But the real situation is that I've always been so close to max on my limit that a person commiting fraud would be very disappointed.

First, you will not have to pay for the purchases. You will be asked to sign statements, paperwork, etc, swearing that the purchases are not yours - your credit card company will do the work to find out who signed what, were and how. It is in their interest to keep charge cards as safe and accessible for their clients to use as possible.

Second, it is very possible that your card number was lifted in Cozumel as you have no idea how many people have access to your number/expiry date at the store.

Third, unlike the previous poster stated, you can't tarnish the whole of Cozumel on this incident or even others. We spent an afternoon on Mr. Sanchos Beach, drinking and eating and charged the lot to our credit card with no problems yet a rental car company in Britain tried to scam an extra $500 out of us a few years ago by changing the balance.

Just last month our card number was used in the US (we're in Canada) to withdraw $500 from two locations in Phoenix. We've since been issued new cards. Be vigilant and keep checking those bills!

KLFRODO - that is a good technique to use (stay close to the limit!)... :D

I have used my Sail&Sign card on one trip for the safe - without a problem, but the "word" is that the magnetic encoding on those cards is "weaker", and thus not reliable for the safe... has anyone else used the S&S card for the safe?

Tom

You know it is a good idea to call your credit card company now anytime you are going out of town. I did it for our recent weeklong trip to PA & Wash DC.

Then in Aug I went on a car trip to visit my sister in Chicago. I was gone only from Friday to Sunday & only charged some gasoline in Indiana while I was gone. On Monday I received a call from my Bank about the charge asking me if it was OK. I was really surprised, so I definitely am calling my bank to advise them the date I will be in Cozumel. We are renting a car, so we will be very careful, but hopefully my precautions will help.

FWIW I check my credit card balance on line almost everyday...whether we are travelling or not. Just because bad folks in some place we vacationed not use our credit card number right after we left doesn't mean they don't plan to use it at a later date. Yes I agree with Susanita cash is the way to go!!

credit cards for safes. I have several no longer active cards that I cut off the # and all I carry is the mag strip. I carry this with me when I leave the room along with my sail and sign card.

I like the older ships' safes - key pad - easy to remember a 4-digit code and nobody could possibly know it but yourself.

Traveler's checks!...that's what I use in ports. To me, safest way to deal with vendors. There's no way for anybody to get my Visa card number!:)

I too, took the time to call my bank and inform them of the cruise and the itinerary! I also told them that if there was any question as to excessive charges besides my Sail & Sign bill :eek: , that the card company had my permission to ask to speak with me personally to verify the transaction.

Worked to perfection.... :) They weren't sure of a transaction at DI in Cozumel, asked to speak with me, and I verified my identity over the phone via password questions/replies.

Better to be safe than sorry, and it only took an extra minute of our time! :D

Sorry for your credit card problems in Cozumel. We have traveled there for over 30 years and have never had a problem. However, we only shop at the ship guaranteed stores and I do check it online once a week or more.

Last trip I took along a grocery store card to lock the safe but didnt need it as the ship had the pin number safes.

I recently got a phone call from a person Identifying himself from the FBI in NY. He was calling to tell me my credit card number was discovered in a batch of newly made Cards..(MIND you I had the original card.) These cards were found in NY by the FBI in a sting on a Credit Card Ring of Thieves.

The detective said the people whose cards were found did have something in common. They had all eaten in an Asian restaurant recently. There was someone else from my area who's card number was lifted that was in that group so they could positively identify a connection. The other card holders also ate at an Asian restaurant in a different State. He said these people approach the wait staff who are usually working 'without' greencards..and offer them $50 a card number. They are givin a PALM size scanner and when you give them your card they take a swipe before they bring your bill to the cash register..

He said the OWNERS of the establishment are not to blame and most always are totally unaware.

We haven't stopped going to that restaraunt but we always walk the check to the Register and give it to the owner or manager instead of our waiter..

JUST AMAZING..

PS.. I didnt trust the guy who called so I did make a few calls to verify the whole thing.. Including a call to my credit card company who confirmed the whole incident..

Scary..

Third, unlike the previous poster stated, you can't tarnish the whole of Cozumel on this incident or even others.

It wasn't my intent to tarnish the whole of Cozumel, however, of every single incident I've read on this board regarding credit card fraud in port, ALL of them have been in Cozumel! That should tell you something, if not just to be more careful while there.

I want to thank everyone for this valuable information! My next cruise is in February 2005, and I will only use cash in each of the ports, just to be on the safe side. I check my Visa statement very closely each month when it arrives, but there is no sense in adding to my worries by using the credit card in port. On past cruises, I think the only time we charged something was in Grand Cayman. Luckily, we didn't have any problems.

Traveler's checks!...that's what I use in ports. To me, safest way to deal with vendors. There's no way for anybody to get my Visa card number!:)

I totally agree with you, Cotton. We stick to using cash or traveler's checks in the ports. A while back, traveler's checks were called "old fashioned" (or something like that) on this board, and I got my feathers ruffled a little bit. But you know it might be true, after all you didn't have to worry so much about credit card fraud back in the old days. ;) So I'm thinking old fashioned isn't so bad after all.

I just gotta say this. The protection offerred by a credit card is far superior than an atm, or god forbid, large amounts of cash. If your credit card is used fraudulently, you will not, I repeat will not, be held responsible for the disputed amount, or the interest on the disputed amount, as long as you dispute the charge within 30 days of receiving your statement. In other words, if you become a victim, it will cost you nothing. If you lose cash, you're screwed. Many ATM cards are equivalent to cash, so you're also screwed if they are stolen. ATM "check" cards with visa or mastercard on them may offer more protection but they are still a link to your checking account, so if they are used fraudulently, it is your money being stolen and not the credit card company's and you may have to wait a long time to get that money back. Bottom line... I would not even consider going to a foreign country without a credit card with an ample balance. Consider this. You get in a bad car accident and miss the ship while in Cozumel. How much is it gonna cost to get yourself sewn up and flown back home? Are you gonna carry that much cash around with you?

Archived