Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

Just seen a good one in a letter to the BBC here in the UK. The writer was asking whether our politicians got paid a fee for appearing on television, particularly on news and CURRANT affairs programmes. It had me wondering whether they were taking part in cooking demonstrations, or, even better, whether this particular foodstuff has a secret and tawdry sex life on which our Representatives of the People were unheralded experts??

My DGS is the text message king. I have said (U) you and ® are with (2) two so many times that I have forgotten what it was like to spell. It takes me forever to text so when I get a chance to use the one letter words, I get excited.:D

Just seen a good one in a letter to the BBC here in the UK. The writer was asking whether our politicians got paid a fee for appearing on television, particularly on news and CURRANT affairs programmes. It had me wondering whether they were taking part in cooking demonstrations, or, even better, whether this particular foodstuff has a secret and tawdry sex life on which our Representatives of the People were unheralded experts??

Your opening grammar notwithstanding :p , HAHAHAHAHA!! I loved that! Thanks for sharing. :D

My DGS is the text message king. I have said (U) you and ® are with (2) two so many times that I have forgotten what it was like to spell. It takes me forever to text so when I get a chance to use the one letter words, I get excited.:D

I'm nodding my head! At 43, I'm a late-comer to the texting age, but recently my best buddy in nursing school and I have been texting maniacs. I'm actually starting to see some spillover. I was typing an email the other day and typed "UR" for "you're". I was stunned. I had to sit for a moment and collect myself. :p I see how it happens!! And I, too, get happy when I can really abbreviate the heck out of something.

Can't believe I've read every single post on this thread.I should go back to doing my chores but I'm really enjoying this thread..

When I first joined the airline industry, many years ago, we took our reservations & composed telexes by hand..We were required to use airline acronyms & shorthand for all communications..

All BKNGS were then hand written on huge charts for each flight..I'll never forget the time, I charted 4 seats on an overbooked flight for:

2 Jones, Mr. & Mrs. plus INF, NN KSML & 2 FINLAT, NN KSML ..

Fortunately it was caught by a supervisor, who sent me this note:

"Attn: Betty RE 542/13 July, Pls. XX 2FINLAT & XX KSML...Suggest you brush up on acronyms & codes, in addition to your geography"...

At that time, I was still having problems with Eastern European & African Geography & barely passed the training class tests..I was so worried about losing that wonderful job...Every night after work, for about two months, I studied & memorized the code books as well as World Geography...Thank Goodness I had friends, who would quiz me..

Years later, my Supervisor & I had a big laugh over that faux pas..I still must correct some of my posts & letters to friends..

OK, thanks for the English lesson & now back to my chores!

Cheers..:) Betty

p.s. Sorry, just realized that many of you may not know the codes: FINLAT means "first names later" & NN KSML means " need Kosher Meals for the passengers"

Hello, my name is Trevoli, and I'm a Grammar Snob. I admit it, I LOVE words, and it makes me nuts when very simple spelling and grammatical errors are so rampant.

"Alot" drives me crazy, too, as does dinning vs. dining.

I have a co-worker who uses "I seen..." ALL THE TIME, and she's over 40 years old. Of course, she also says "supposebly", so what else should I expect?

Double negatives get under my skin. "I don't got no...".

Redundancies like 'before in the past' or 'currently right now' or '8:00am in the morning'.

I remember being taught that you should never start a sentence with the word 'however'.

I have to admit that I say, "I only have $5", instead of "I have only $5". I need to watch that.

T

Hello, my name is Trevoli, and I'm a Grammar Snob. I admit it, I LOVE words, and it makes me nuts when very simple spelling and grammatical errors are so rampant.

"Alot" drives me crazy, too, as does dinning vs. dining.

I have a co-worker who uses "I seen..." ALL THE TIME, and she's over 40 years old. Of course, she also says "supposebly", so what else should I expect?

Double negatives get under my skin. "I don't got no...".

Redundancies like 'before in the past' or 'currently right now' or '8:00am in the morning'.

I remember being taught that you should never start a sentence with the word 'however'.

I have to admit that I say, "I only have $5", instead of "I have only $5". I need to watch that.

T

It's a curse I tell you... A CURSE! :p

Don't you love the posts that are one sentence long with many subjects and no capitalization or punctuation in them. I have yet to see the word irregardless used any where. Regardless is the proper usage of the term irregardless of when and how it is used. LOL. Just trying to humor someone. :D:(. Please some English Professor flame me.

Can you imagine how an immigrant feels trying to learn our language when there are so many words pronounced the same but have different meanings. So, sew, two, to, too, bee, be and ball, bawl are just a few examples. Any one care to add more.

Can you imagine how an immigrant feels trying to learn our language when there are so many words pronounced the same but have different meanings. So, sew, two, to, too, bee, be and ball, bawl are just a few examples. Any one care to add more.

EXCELLENT point - English is one of the most difficult languages to learn, or so it is said. It was pretty easy for me, being that's all my parents ever spoke. :D

Finalize is not a word? Seriously? Are we supposed to say 'finish' instead?

I just read a review about the Grand and the poster used 'then' for 'than' every. single. time.

T

Honestly, I think that's my biggest peeve.

What a hilarious thread, I have read every post and agree 100%. I love words; English and Literature were my favorite subjects in school. One of my pet peeves is "at this point in time". What is the point of point?:confused:

What a great thread! It's my first time on this particular board and I'm so glad I popped over.

Anyways, my biggest pet peeve is when people say "towards" because, supposebly you don't need the "s" at the end. And miss placed commas and incomplete sentences.

Have fun! :D

Jen

What a great thread! It's my first time on this particular board and I'm so glad I popped over.

Anyways, my biggest pet peeve is when people say "towards" because, supposebly you don't need the "s" at the end. And miss placed commas and incomplete sentences.

Have fun! :D

Jen

My eyes! My eyes!! Oh please stop! :p

The question is, is it ever ok to correct someone (besides ones kids, haha) when said person is using abysmal grammar? Or will a person be thought a big jerk for ever doing so?

Archived