Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

Holy moly, I just read another thread and the mistakes were prolific!

When you are talking about something happening each day, it is two words: EVERY DAY. Not everyday (as in, "the sheets aren't changed everyday" - it should be "the sheets aren't changed EVERY DAY". TWO WORDS: EVERY DAY, EVERY WEEK, EVERY TIME. If you are talking about a repeating occurrence it is "everyday" - as in "it is an everyday occurrence". Otherwise it is TWO WORDS!!!

And I know this has been covered but it bears repeating. STEWARD. DEFINITELY. MUSTER. (hahaha - I think it's PMS time again!) :p

Ok, here's one "There kids got orientated before the mustard drill and put they're close in the draw! Do use guys get that?"

ARGH, it really is a curse! Sorry to those who found this post excruciating to read! ;)

Katie

Oh. I got it. Made me laugh!

I hear grammar like "dat" every day! It is amazing how lazy our society has become. Every teacher I know stresses grammar, but the kids still do not remember. We cannot fix the "prollems" from home if that is how their parents speak. Text messaging is killing the English language too!

Wow! I definitely forgot why I clicked on this post 11 pages ago.

cruise lingo....I thought it would explain DH, DD, DS, etc. to me.

I am sure there are others..Please explain and add any to think of.

That led me to think of this one... I should "of'...instead of should have.

I actually saw a teacher write that one on a student's IEP! (legal school document called an Individual Education Plan.)

I actually saw a teacher write that one on a student's IEP! (legal school document called an Individual Education Plan.)

Those D-words have been around since the inception of the internet. They mean "Dear Husband, Dear Wife, Dear Son, Dear Daughter". I don't use them because honestly, it looks dorky to me. I would never call them "dear _____" so I just say "my son" or "my husband". The LOL or ROFL or ROFLPMP - those are just 'laughing out loud" or "rolling on the floor laughing" or "rolling on the floor laughing and peeing my pants", etc. Actually, anymore, LOL is used more like "haha". As in "my skirt blew up in a gust of wind, LOL". Or the like. A few more:

tyvm - thank you very much

ty - thank you

np - no problem

btw - by the way

If you think of any more you'd like to know, just ask.

Ah, you all just need to get hired on as editors, as I did. Now the errors of the Great Unwashed simply waft past me, while I get paid to correct people's documents.

Here are a few that through (hah!) me at first:

OP = original poster

OBC = on board credit (I was reading One Black Cat)

CD = cruise director

I really don't know why you are so effected by incorrect spelling. It has no affect on me whatsoever.

As for aluminum/aluminium, the English word has been aluminium since it was coined in the early 19th century to be consistent with other metallic elements. It's quiet;) similar to helIum, lithIum, beryllIum, sodIum, magnesIum, uranIum, americIum etc etc. The American Chemical Society changed it to 'aluminum' in 1925. In French it's 'aluminium', in German 'Aluminium', in Spanish 'aluminio' and in Italian 'alluminio'. Case closed. :D

Obira

At work someone posted this sign through a locked door window that I couldn't reach! I had to walk past it and look at it everyday for three weeks! By the time they got back I was ready to kill them--they "said" they did it on purpose to make me crazy (which it did) but I have my doubts...it said...

"Packages excepted next store until next week"

I was crazed, on top of all the other things, they didn't indicate when it was put up, so who knew when next week was!!!!!!!!! Imagine having to look at that 6 days a week for 3 weeks!

Katie

Those D-words have been around since the inception of the internet. They mean "Dear Husband, Dear Wife, Dear Son, Dear Daughter". I don't use them because honestly, it looks dorky to me. I would never call them "dear _____" so I just say "my son" or "my husband". The LOL or ROFL or ROFLPMP - those are just 'laughing out loud" or "rolling on the floor laughing" or "rolling on the floor laughing and peeing my pants", etc. Actually, anymore, LOL is used more like "haha". As in "my skirt blew up in a gust of wind, LOL". Or the like. A few more:

tyvm - thank you very much

ty - thank you

np - no problem

btw - by the way

If you think of any more you'd like to know, just ask.

IMO -In my opinion or IMHO in my humble opinion

FILand MIL - Father-in-law and mother-in-law

SO - Significant Other

pax- Passengers

At work someone posted this sign through a locked door window that I couldn't reach! I had to walk past it and look at it everyday for three weeks! By the time they got back I was ready to kill them--they "said" they did it on purpose to make me crazy (which it did) but I have my doubts...it said...

"Packages excepted next store until next week"

I was crazed, on top of all the other things, they didn't indicate when it was put up, so who knew when next week was!!!!!!!!! Imagine having to look at that 6 days a week for 3 weeks!

Katie

I think you should be able to claim disability based on PTSD. :eek:

And I saw a teacher write on the blackboard: "Using your crowns, draw a picture of....." He meant "crayons" and was genuinely surprised when I later told him of the difference between "crown" and "crayon".

Didn't tell him in front of the class of course, but waited until I could tell him later, in private.

When I first came here I was thrilled that I could answer a question! The OP (original poster) signed off with TIA (thanks in advance).

I answered the question by starting with "Hi Tia!" (hey, it IS a name!) :D !

I greatly appreciate that long time members didn't embarrass me by explaining TIA :cool: .

I am compelled to explain that it is y'all, not ya'll.

I have not seen that one this thread . . . but it is rampant

and in the South ain't is a word & a relative.

Well! Y'all have hit all of my pet peeves! And, as a life-long Texas girl, use of the word "y'all" is entirely appropriate, TYVM :p .

One thing that just makes my toes curl (not in a good way), is when a mom refers to toddler's age in months! Not a baby, a toddler. When your kid is old enough to walk, talk, dress & feed himself, he's no longer a baby and should be referred to as 3 years old - not 36 months old! Swear to goodness, I saw a woman on here refer to her 37 month old child! Don't make me stop and do some kind of high math in order to figure out how old your little precious is - by then, I've lost interest!

Also, yesterday at the Food Pantry where I volunteer, someone brought in a flyer (or is it flier?) they wanted us to post advertising an event for single moms. The paper referred to kids without "Dad's" and invited the "Mom's" to attend. How hard is a simple plural? The unnecessary apostrophe drives me batty!

my family and i went to the " MUSTARD" drill and we were going so fast that my youngest son really had to " KETCHUP" with us, then we ran into a bunch of people and things got really confusing, then we were really in a " PICKLE". i really "RELISH " the thought of ever having to do that again.

I just read all 11 pages and I have had the most fun on a cruise forum in ages. This is a great thread.

First, I have no problem with alternative spellings like British versus American. I also don't have problems with alternative pronunciations like schedule (sked-ule or shed-ule) but it may send me for a loop and take me longer to process (prah-cess or PRO-cess) the information.

Second, I can be very tolerant of typos in informal emails and forum postings (teh for the, stuff like that). Again, it just takes me longer to understand the idea being presented. On the other hand, I cannot decipher text messages for the life of me.

That said, I have no tolerance for edited articles (newspaper, magazines, even web articles) that have incorrect grammar. You guys (that’s yankee for y’all) have hit on most of my major gripes.

My biggest pet peeve is the incorrect use of the word “who” when the word “whom” is correct. That is like fingernails on the blackboard for me. If it is a TV announcer, I start screaming at the TV and I don’t even hear what he or she is saying.

EXAMPLE “Who do you want to invite?”

CORRECT “Whom do you want to invite?”

Here’s how to tell the correct usage. Turn the sentence into a declarative statement.

“You want to invite who” or “You want to invite whom”

Replace the “who/whom” with a pronoun.

“You want to invite he” or “You want to invite him”

“You want to invite they” or “You want to invite them”

“You want to invite she” or “You want to invite her”

If the sentence makes sense with the objective case (him, them, her), use WHOM not WHO.

Back to the real world.

I just read all 11 pages and I have had the most fun on a cruise forum in ages. This is a great thread.

First, I have no problem with alternative spellings like British versus American. I also don't have problems with alternative pronunciations like schedule (sked-ule or shed-ule) but it may send me for a loop and take me longer to process (prah-cess or PRO-cess) the information.

Second, I can be very tolerant of typos in informal emails and forum postings (teh for the, stuff like that). Again, it just takes me longer to understand the idea being presented. On the other hand, I cannot decipher text messages for the life of me.

That said, I have no tolerance for edited articles (newspaper, magazines, even web articles) that have incorrect grammar. You guys (that’s yankee for y’all) have hit on most of my major gripes.

My biggest pet peeve is the incorrect use of the word “who” when the word “whom” is correct. That is like fingernails on the blackboard for me. If it is a TV announcer, I start screaming at the TV and I don’t even hear what he or she is saying.

EXAMPLE “Who do you want to invite?”

CORRECT “Whom do you want to invite?”

Here’s how to tell the correct usage. Turn the sentence into a declarative statement.

“You want to invite who” or “You want to invite whom”

Replace the “who/whom” with a pronoun.

“You want to invite he” or “You want to invite him”

“You want to invite they” or “You want to invite them”

“You want to invite she” or “You want to invite her”

If the sentence makes sense with the objective case (him, them, her), use WHOM not WHO.

Back to the real world.

A woman after my own heart.

I am compelled to explain that it is y'all, not ya'll.

I have not seen that one this thread . . . but it is rampant

and in the South ain't is a word & a relative.

And a real southerner can tell you the differernce between "y'all" and "all y'all"- and neither of them is singular. The differene is in how many people the word encompasses.

Just reread my last post and I realize it may be misinterpreted. I did not mean tht CFitz was not a real southerner and the you was meant to indicate "all readers".

Happy to see a fellow North Carolinian who appreciates the use of "y'all" and "ain't". As in "I ain't seen y'all in a while; how's Aint Lou doing?"

Just reread my last post and I realize it may be misinterpreted. I did not mean tht CFitz was not a real southerner and the you was meant to indicate "all readers".

Happy to see a fellow North Carolinian who appreciates the use of "y'all" and "ain't". As in "I ain't seen y'all in a while; how's Aint Lou doing?"

No offense taken at all. I'm probably not considered a "real southerner" - I grew up in AZ and moved to DC as a young adult. Moved to Charleston SC when my husband was a Navy officer, and moved to W. NC after he separated. I've lived in the south since 1987 - actually longer than anywhere else, but I think if you don't grow up in the south, you aren't a "true southerner". However... my kids were all born in the south and no one could accuse them of being "true southerners"!! They don't have even a hint of southern drawl, I suppose due to their parents' lack of one. And they use impeccable grammar likely because they know their very survival in my house depends upon it, haha! :D

Archived