Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

Or "My DW and me" ... equally common and equally incorrect.

Or "Myself and my DW" or "My DW and myself".... most times when "myself" is used, it is used incorrectly. I just want to shake them and say, "Would you say 'Myself is going to the store'?? NO - you would say 'I am going to the store'!!!"

CFRITZ.... Congratulations on your completing nursing school.

Bless the Nurses. Where would the rest of us be without you all. ...all of you? Can we make that y'all?

(I'm not even a Southerner. :)

Dang, Y'all aint a word?? :eek: ;) I'm crushed.

Great thread, by the way. I love the fact that I'm not the only one cringing while reading some of the posts.

What about 'prolly?'

This thread is 'prolly' going to be removed soon. Is this 'text' speak, or a shortened form? Do some really think the word, 'probably', is actually 'prolly?' I see it used in message boards all over the place.

JB,

Christy touched on this in post #60 as Ethel5 posed the same question.

I use prolly sometimes - certainly not because I can't spell probably. I think a little slang keying speaks to the character of the author....it adds a little flavor to what would otherwise be a pretty vanilla exchange.

Doofi=plural of Doofus That is too rich!:D

Repsol

Here is another one we will start seeing more of this time of year (graduation time). People spell the word congradulations but there is not a "d" in the word. Why do you think you see it abbreviated as congrats???

Way back in the day, the huge outdoor sign of the biggest (at the time) hotel in this town wished my groom and me congradulations on our wedding day.

• Administrators
LOL!!! Today I met with some nursing school classmates to learn our pledge for pinning. We were each to write one of the sentences then try to teach that particular sentence to the group by passing on each paper to the next person for them to learn it, then write another one, etc. and we repeated it several times always writing a difference sentence (this is hard to explain). We said it aloud first. One of the sentences has the word "utmost" in it. One of my classmates said the word as "upmost" and I jokingly corrected her - they all know me as the spelling/grammar/vocabulary n.a.z.i. And they love me anyway - I'm lucky. So as we began passing our sheets around, I saw that EVERY.SINGLE.ONE of my butthead classmates had written "upmost" just for me. AAAUUUGGHHH!!! :p :p :p

And the snowball continues.... because this one reminds me of another one that jars me like fingernails on a blackboard every time I see it: "Does anyone have any imput on this?" aaaaaaaiiiiieeeeeeeee!!

It's iNput -- INPUT. As if you are PUTting information IN for processing; you don't put information IM for processing! In, not im..... <takes a swig of water>. Okay, I'm better now. :)

A close friend of mine is going back to school to get her degree at the ripe old age of 51. She had to write her first paper last week. Being the grammer **** of our group, she sent it to me to proof. I sent it back with grammatical changes. In the mean time, someone else had looked at it and said it was ok as it was. She decided to send it in that way and got an A. That doesn't speak well of the school or teacher!

A close friend of mine is going back to school to get her degree at the ripe old age of 51. She had to write her first paper last week. Being the grammer **** of our group, she sent it to me to proof. I sent it back with grammatical changes. In the mean time, someone else had looked at it and said it was ok as it was. She decided to send it in that way and got an A. That doesn't speak well of the school or teacher!

Sadly, that is pretty typical of the expectations instructors seem to have these days...

And you are cruising in TWO DAYS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :D :D

OMG this is my favorite thread ever!! This is the first time in years I didn't feel like a freak!! Thank you so much--I couldn't wait to get home from work tonight to see what had transpired while I was away! My kids are constantly on my back for my "proper" mode of speaking. They tease me all the time--I was also going to suggest that the plural of doofus was either Doofi or as in busses--doofusses?

Katie

Misty, that is some heavy work you do there. I cried twice during nursing school clinicals - once when my very jerky (male) clinical instructor wouldn't let me figure out a med calc with my calculator, he put me on the spot in front of the nurse's station and kept pounding me, and I freaked; and the day I did my critical care rotation. (I cried later, at home). That was rough. I bow to you - you are a special kind of nurse.

CFitz - Your experience reminds me of the first IV that I started in nursing school. It was a pregnant woman in labor and she was sreaming in pain. My instructor was yelling at me that the patient was going to have the baby before I got the IV in.

Good luck with nursing and get a good pair of shoes!

CFitz - Your experience reminds me of the first IV that I started in nursing school. It was a pregnant woman in labor and she was sreaming in pain. My instructor was yelling at me that the patient was going to have the baby before I got the IV in.

Good luck with nursing and get a good pair of shoes!

Thank you so much! WOW - the first IV is not the time for the clinical instructor to be riding you. I remember (and it wasn't too long ago) when I was faced with my first. I was doing my ED rotation. I *knew* I would have an IV that day, so I was pretty freaked out. In short order the time came, and it was a 19-yr-old guy who was fairly overweight and I couldn't even feel, much less see, his veins. But I got everything together and the ED nurse who was with me walked me through it. It was sort of a blind stick because I honestly did not feel or see that dang vein, but BAM! It went in no problem. I had told the kid before doing it that I'd done it lots of times (he just didn't know it was on the sim man). Afterward, I said "you were my first human IV!" and he about passed out, lol. He told me I did really well. That made me happy. I left that ED room and did one of those moves like Dr. Peter Benton used to do on the intro to ER - one of those "WOOOHOOOO!" things. I've since only done one other, on a pregnant woman in labor. Love those big, juicy veins, hahaha! So far I've not missed any, but I've only done 2... :eek: I start work on the birthing center in July, so I should get plenty of practice.

Yes I'll add to it -

Never start a sentence with "me". Here's an example.

Incorrect: Me and my DW will be going on our first cruise.

Correct: My DW and "I" will be going on our first cruise.

When in doubt rephrase it by removing the second person and seeing how it would sound to someone else.

Example of incorrect version: Me will be going on my first cruise.

Example of correct version: I will be going on my first cruise.

Hi Lady,

I guess I have no life either! Just found this thread a bit interesting! My mother taught me that same rule. I'm not an English teacher but I think I do have a sense (not "cents" but I will be put in my 2 cents worth) of grammar!

Another thing that bugs me is when I see magazine or newspaper articles starting a sentence with "and" or "but." That to me is improper and doesn't really have full sentence meaning. "And" connects 2 ideas and "but" is like "on the other hand." Even the best of writers get it wrong in my opinion!

Well, I've already done all my reading on the cruise I'm going on - just thought I'd read something different for a change! If I come up with some other clever words, I'll be sure to list them here!

Laurie

Dang, Y'all aint a word?? :eek: ;) I'm crushed.

Great thread, by the way. I love the fact that I'm not the only one cringing while reading some of the posts.

Y'all and ain't are OK to use if you live in Texas and are a country singer!

Ain't that right y'all? LOL

Laurie

Many years ago, when my daughter was still in daycare, I asked her if she was done with a little project she was working on. She informed me that food is done and people are finished. Out of the mouth of babes.....:rolleyes: ;) ....

Of course, she had some funny little sayings like many small children. She called an umbrella and underbrella. You DO get under them. A cemetery was a bury garden. I think that one was because she had noticed all the flowers. Another funny thing, not exactly related, was that she wanted to name her new brother Macaroni Sunshine. She did not get her wish on that one.:D

Many years ago, when my daughter was still in daycare, I asked her if she was done with a little project she was working on. She informed me that food is done and people are finished. Out of the mouth of babes.....:rolleyes: ;) ....

Of course, she had some funny little sayings like many small children. She called an umbrella and underbrella. You DO get under them. A cemetery was a bury garden. I think that one was because she had noticed all the flowers. Another funny thing, not exactly related, was that she wanted to name her new brother Macaroni Sunshine. She did not get her wish on that one.:D

I bet her brother is enternally grateful for that!

Just discovered this thread for the first time and find it absolutely hilarious. It's also very comforting to know that my freakish obsession with incorrect spelling and grammar are not alone - there are a lot of us out there!

I also am driven insane by a lot of the same ones that you all are

to, too and two

their, there and they're

to mention two that really drive me mad when the wrong one is used.

Also can't abide sentences starting with but or and or because for that matter.

What also drives me mad and hasn't been mentioned here yet as far as I can see is incorrect punctuation (but then maybe I'm a bigger freak than the rest of you). It's the misuse of the apostrophe that annoys me the most. They don't use it when they should and use it when they shouldn't. For example

The boys book's instead of The boy's books

Its a nice day itstead of It's a nice day

Hope I haven't got you all started now on your most hated misuse/inappropraite use of punctation!

Just going back to re-read this now for typos before I hit submit!

thanks to all of y'all for covering all of my pet peeves!!

When my siblings & I were in college, back in the 70s, and we still wrote actual letters home (remember those days?) my mom saved our letters, and when we came home for vacation, handed them back to us with red marks correcting grammar & spelling, just like school!! But we all learned to speak & write properly, most of the time anyway!

One of my early jobs I worked for a man with horrible grammar ... he couldn't construct a proper sentence to save his life ... I couldn't even take down his dictation without correcting him!! After the first few times that happened he realized he was better off letting me rewrite everything he wrote. The funny thing was, he was the editor of the monthly association magazine!! I couldn't take it and left after about a month.:rolleyes:

I ADORE your child and I don't even know her! One of our sons also said "underbrella" for umbrella! Makes sense to me. That same son wanted to name our 4th son "Karate Kicker Karate Jumper" - in the words of Dave Barry - "I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!". Hahaha - I love kids.

I bet her brother is enternally grateful for that!

Just discovered this thread for the first time and find it absolutely hilarious. It's also very comforting to know that my freakish obsession with incorrect spelling and grammar are not alone - there are a lot of us out there!

I also am driven insane by a lot of the same ones that you all are

to, too and two

their, there and they're

to mention two that really drive me mad when the wrong one is used.

Also can't abide sentences starting with but or and or because for that matter.

What also drives me mad and hasn't been mentioned here yet as far as I can see is incorrect punctuation (but then maybe I'm a bigger freak than the rest of you). It's the misuse of the apostrophe that annoys me the most. They don't use it when they should and use it when they shouldn't. For example

The boys book's instead of The boy's books

Its a nice day itstead of It's a nice day

Hope I haven't got you all started now on your most hated misuse/inappropraite use of punctation!

Just going back to re-read this now for typos before I hit submit!

Oh no, you've opened a whole new can o'worms! :p I, too, find it cringe-worthy to see improper use of punctuation. The very sad thing is, I see it almost daily in our local newspaper. I even wrote a letter to the editor decrying it, and begging for them to either use better proofers (I was a proofreader for my college rag), or mandate some basic English classes for their reporters.

Oh MAN! I was just watching VH1's "best songs of the 80s" and they kept misusing the apostrophe in "its" - as in "The 80s and it's best songs" - I would read that as "The 80s and it is best songs" - argh! It's torment! TORMENT!

I'm just being silly, really. :p

The use of messaging on phones, spell check, etc. has really snowballed our spelling, grammer, etc. The English language can be tough enough. Did anyone see the segment on the Today show a few weeks back of three people going around and correcting store signs, etc.? The same topic as here.

Did I make a mistake? LOL

Archived