Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

I just want to thank all of you. I have seen each and every one of these mistakes while reading Cruise Critic posts today. It's amazing that some of these people graduated high school!

I just want to thank all of you. I have seen each and every one of these mistakes while reading Cruise Critic posts today. It's amazing that some of these people graduated high school!

No, thank YOU! Because you didn't type "each and everyone of these...". HAHA!! Actually, I do believe we spelling/grammar n.a.z.i.s are the exception. I do believe the majority of high school (and maybe college!) graduates use improper spelling/grammar on a regular basis. I sure sound like a snob, don't I? I'm not... I'm just OCD when it comes to this stuff.

No, you don't understand! To survive nursing school is such an amazing thing. The entire experience is different than most other educational undertakings. CFRITZ I am soooooo happy for you! Congratulations and welcome to the ranks!:D

You are soooo right!!!! To finish nursing school is great 'cuse nurses' do it right. Been one now for 20yrs.:D

Hi,

I've been on several Carnival Cruise Lines and was Woundering they play a Song and dance along with it in the Dinning room and in the Disco, and was woundering if anybody know the Name of this Song, I Just Love it!!!

Go's like....One step to the right one step to the left , turn to the right ect..... Hope someone can help!!! Usually they dance this all together it is not a single dance kinda thing more like a group dance all together Now , one step to right -one step to the left.... lol. Thanks for the info Guys

Chow .... Bio-Girl. :):)

"...It's just a jump to the left. And then a step to the riiiiiight. Put your hands on your hips. And bring your knees in tiiiight. But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insaaaaaane. LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!"

Oh, the memories...

"English: a language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages and rifles through their pockets for loose vocabulary." -from a T-shirt

The one that drives me bonkers is people using "axed" instead of "asked". I can almost stand it when it is spoken but when it is written I want to scream.

Check out the Wikipedia entry about "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." being a grammatically correct sentence.

It parses to "Bison from Buffalo, New York who are intimidated by other bison in their community also happen to intimidate other bison in their community."

Check out the Wikipedia entry about "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." being a grammatically correct sentence.

It parses to "Bison from Buffalo, New York who are intimidated by other bison in their community also happen to intimidate other bison in their community."

HA! I have never seen that before. That's hilarious!

WOWEEE...FINALY i found the CHA CHA Dance !!! Many Many Thanks!

and the other one Electric slide Sounds Good Too!

Thank's , and have a nice Week end!!

CHow Chow ...

Bio-Girl ;) :D

Glad I could help! I love that song too.

No, thank YOU! Because you didn't type "each and everyone of these...". HAHA!! Actually, I do believe we spelling/grammar n.a.z.i.s are the exception. I do believe the majority of high school (and maybe college!) graduates use improper spelling/grammar on a regular basis. I sure sound like a snob, don't I? I'm not... I'm just OCD when it comes to this stuff.

I honestly believe that most of the spelling errors we come across has alot to do with the different way words are spelt all over the world. I know it drives me crazy seeing color instead of colour,and words like realise spelt realize,but I am a forgiving enough person to forgive those that were taught a different spelling then I was.

The one thing I can NEVER forgive is when anyone uses made up words in place of real words. eg: I'd better go buy some milk, betten I, instead of , I had better go buy some milk, hadn't I? Just when did betten become a word.:eek:

I hear things like this everyday in my job and it still annoys me.:mad:

Betten??? Never heard that word. Maybe it's an Aussie thing. Words ending in "our" instead of "or" just tell me that the poster is from Canada, Australia or the UK. Do New Zealanders do it, too? I should know that, since we were just there in Jan.

I truly think grammar is habit. It's how your parents and other relatives spoke. When you still heard it every day, that made it hard to put your school grammar lessons into practice. It doesn't translate to everyday life.

My dad knew he needed to improve his grammar, so he asked my mom to correct him in private whenever he made a mistake. I used to proofread my DH's reports when we were first married. His mom was sort of intimidated by the fact that I was a certified English teacher. Sometimes she was asked to write recommendations/commendations for the carriers from her newspaper branch and she always asked me to help. Initially, she was hesitant, but I always put her at ease.

Re: Correcting other people--I drilled grammar and spelling into my kids. I don't correct other people out loud, just in my head. :) Sometimes I would correct one of my kids and he/she would say, "But that's how Grandma/Grandpa says it." I would make sure to point out the lack of good education opportunities, not G&G's fault, and make sure no one EVER said anything to them about mistakes. DH and his siblings still use remnants of their unique proununciations: catheteria=cafeteria, Optober=October, sothmore=sophomore, worsh=wash (I think that's an Ohio thing), dog pond=dog pound. It's just habit, but it stopped here with our kids. We have a friend who days "chimbley instead of chimney". Drives his wife crazy, but that's how he learned it at home.

Re:teachers who make mistakes--One day I subbed for the 4th gr. math teacher, whose pronunciations of certain words used to drive me crazy. On the board she had written notes for the kids to copy into their notebooks. At least two words were badly misspelled. I corrected them and said, "Miss......, must have been in a hurry." My son piped up and said, "Oh, she always spells like that." The next day, in class, he pointed out the corrected words and the teacher said, "I'm a math teacher. I don't NEED to know how to spell." :eek: :eek: She had other issues, too, and eventually left teaching for a job at Sears.

I had a lesson plan from a HS teacher who evidently thought every word ending in an s needed an apostrophe. :eek: I crossed out every one of them, hoping he'd take the hint. :)

Re: mustard drill. The only place I've seen this term is from CC posters who want to get out of the drill and use it as a derogatory term. Earlier this year there was a long thread devoted to this topic. The flames were shooting at the OP for even suggesting skipping the drill.

I honestly believe that most of the spelling errors we come across has alot to do with the different way words are spelt all over the world. I know it drives me crazy seeing color instead of colour,and words like realise spelt realize,but I am a forgiving enough person to forgive those that were taught a different spelling then I was.

The one thing I can NEVER forgive is when anyone uses made up words in place of real words. eg: I'd better go buy some milk, betten I, instead of , I had better go buy some milk, hadn't I? Just when did betten become a word.:eek:

I hear things like this everyday in my job and it still annoys me.:mad:

I've not heard the word "betten", LOL. Yeah, I reckon that might could be annoying. :p

Betten??? Never heard that word. Maybe it's an Aussie thing. Words ending in "our" instead of "or" just tell me that the poster is from Canada, Australia or the UK. Do New Zealanders do it, too? I should know that, since we were just there in Jan.

I truly think grammar is habit. It's how your parents and other relatives spoke. When you still heard it every day, that made it hard to put your school grammar lessons into practice. It doesn't translate to everyday life.

My dad knew he needed to improve his grammar, so he asked my mom to correct him in private whenever he made a mistake. I used to proofread my DH's reports when we were first married. His mom was sort of intimidated by the fact that I was a certified English teacher. Sometimes she was asked to write recommendations/commendations for the carriers from her newspaper branch and she always asked me to help. Initially, she was hesitant, but I always put her at ease.

Re: Correcting other people--I drilled grammar and spelling into my kids. I don't correct other people out loud, just in my head. Sometimes I would correct one of my kids and he/she would say, "But that's how Grandma/Grandpa says it." I would make sure to point out the lack of good education opportunities, not G&G's fault, and make sure no one EVER said anything to them about mistakes. DH and his siblings still use remnants of their unique proununciations: catheteria=cafeteria, Optober=October, sothmore=sophomore, worsh=wash (I think that's an Ohio thing), dog pond=dog pound. It's just habit, but it stopped here with our kids. We have a friend who days "chimbley instead of chimney". Drives his wife crazy, but that's how he learned it at home.

Re:teachers who make mistakes--One day I subbed for the 4th gr. math teacher, whose pronunciations of certain words used to drive me crazy. On the board she had written notes for the kids to copy into their notebooks. At least two words were badly misspelled. I corrected them and said, "Miss......, must have been in a hurry." My son piped up and said, "Oh, she always spells like that." The next day, in class, he pointed out the corrected words and the teacher said, "I'm a math teacher. I don't NEED to know how to spell." She had other issues, too, and eventually left teaching for a job at Sears.

I had a lesson plan from a HS teacher who evidently thought every word ending in an s needed an apostrophe. I crossed out every one of them, hoping he'd take the hint.

Re: mustard drill. The only place I've seen this term is from CC posters who want to get out of the drill and use it as a derogatory term. Earlier this year there was a long thread devoted to this topic. The flames were shooting at the OP for even suggesting skipping the drill.

I very much enjoyed your excellent grammar and spelling, thanks. :D

I, too, have drilled good grammar and spelling into my kids, and sometimes I wonder if I've done the right thing. They correct each other, me, their dad, and their friends. YIKES! But hey, they have excellent language skills... :rolleyes:

Lived in MA for 20-odd years, and taught there too. What drove me (and continues to drive me) nuts is: in MA they always say, "so wouldn't I", instead of "so would I". They also say "couldn't I", instead of "could I":confused:

This is definitely a regional thing, but a few days ago when my 17 year old totalled his car :( - (he is ok though thank Goodness) the tow truck driver said "I'll be talkin' to you'uns tomorrow". Even in our state of shock over our son's accident, my husband and I later giggled about that. There is really some interesting vernacular 'round these parts. :D

Archived