Will the customize your meals?

In the dining room, have some picky eaters and reading the dinner menus I just wondered if you asked for something plain, no sauce or no mushrooms etc would they cater to you.

I know in the scheme of things it is pretty insignificant but just asking.

In the dining room, have some picky eaters and reading the dinner menus I just wondered if you asked for something plain, no sauce or no mushrooms etc would they cater to you.

Probably!

You might consider going to the windjammer instead. There is a wide variety of food that is waiting for the consumer to prepare it.

If your picky eaters wanted pepperoni pizza every night your head waiter would probably arrange it. It never hurts to ask, just be as understanding as possible if they cannot accomodate you exactly but offer an alternative.

And, please, dont forget to tip for the extra services.

I'm married to one of those picky eater types. Although I don't understand it.....I have to live with it. Yes....they will do just about anything you want. For a salad every night.....my husband always gets just a plain wedge of lettuce. He gets entrees with no sauces what so ever. They bring him whatever he wants. This is why cruising works so great for us. I can eat all the fancy stuff I want and he gets his boring, plain stuff. Everybody is happy.

Absolutely! My son is very picky and get no sauces on almost everything. Our waitress knew the first night that on the veggie platter he only ate the carrots so from that point on, she brought him carrots and ranch dressing only. No sauces on pasta, steak, chicken. They really are accomadating!

I ask for special things all the time, not only will the leave sauce off they will substitute a different sauce if you choose. One night they had a tortellini in a sauce that I didn't care for, they made it with marinara sauce instead and it was yummy.

Thanks so much for the replies..both hubby and son are the picky ones..its nice to know they will do this so I am not stuck eating in the windjammer every night.

Thanks again. And who knows maybe they will both grow up and try something new.

My mother, who enjoys being... difficult, always goes out of her way to pick something NOT on the menu on the first night of the cruise.

I think the last time, it was asparagus. She says that if the waiter can't "roll with the punches" she'll ask to switch tables - but so far, she's never had a waiter that doesn't rise to the challenge!

I'm not recommending that you be difficult - I think the waiters have a hard enough job as it is, and they don't control what's in the kitchen - but they certainly can accomodate picky eaters.

A lot of it is also in how you put the request. If you are polite and reasonable, they will go out of your way to please you if at all possible. On my Brilliance cruise, my tablemates on the first night politely explained to our waitress that they would have special requests (no sauces, meat cooked a certain way, steamed vegetables, etc). Because they let her know up front it was much easier to accommodate them.

When we were on the Enchantment in December they went above and beyond when it came to food in the dining room :) Many in our family have severe food allergies so there were a few times when the sauces or dressings didn't work and they changed them to something else for us :) And because deserts were almost entirely off limits they made arrangements for the kids favorite ice cream to be served every night. Oh yeah, they also brought the kids a bowl of lemons every night....made me laugh but the kids appreciated it!

They seem to be extremely accommodating! The first night at dinner, I wanted something chocolate for dessert, and they had something with a little chocolate in it, but not what I was looking for. Every single night after that, my waiter would bring me out a piece of chocolate cake WITH what ever I ordered for dessert. I wasn’t able to eat all of it every night, but I always took a few bites so he knew I appreciated it. Even on the evening that I didn’t feel well and stayed in the cabin to rest, he sent that chocolate cake with my husband to bring back to me.

My MIL even requested a Chocolate Soufflé (which wasn’t on the menu) for dessert the following night, and they prepared it for our entire table.

This was on the Liberty back in October, which looks like what you will be sailing. Our waiter’s name was Basyir (called him Bas for short). He definitely went above and beyond with special requests!

its nice to know they will do this so I am not stuck eating in the windjammer every night.

Don't rule out the Windjammer for dinner! We ate in the Windjammer at least 3 times on our recent cruise and really enjoyed it. Some of the nights, they have some of what they have in the dining room that night, some nights they have a cook-to-order pasta station, cook-to-order stir-fry station and the desserts are more plentiful than in the dining room. YUMM!

We were really pleased with the selection and food quality in the Windjammer! :)

I think they can find something on the menu they like that they don't need a special request. I guess what i should have said was they will most likely not like the toppings or the sauces and would they make them just plain..however boring that seems.

I am about the pickiest eater ever, and I have never had any trouble. Now that I have been diagnosed with Celiac disease, it has gotten worse. I basically live on meat and potatoes, don't like anything fancy, sauces, etc. I always tell the waiter what I want or don't want, and have always been fine in the main dining room for dinner.

My girlfriend loves chocolate covered strawberries for dessert but we've never seen them on any of the menus in the dining room. I know they have them in Portofino's, but I doubt they'd be able to get some in the dining room. Has anyone ever tried ordering some for dessert?

I think it all depends on your waiter. For instance, I'm a vegetarian and when I was on the Explorer in September, if I didn't like the one vegetarian dish that was offered, our waiter would bring me out an indian curry dish that I guess they always have on standby. Our waiter also did this on the Serenade (and I didn't even ask for it specifically, our waiter just said "wait! I have just the thing for you!")....yet when I was on the Adventure in January our waiter would insist that there was nothing else. He was the nicest guy ever, but he was soooo not accomodating! So you could always see how it goes on the first night, and if it's not working out then you could head up to the windjammer from then on.

Laura

Archived