Best time for Mediterranean cruise

LMO

I am looking at booking the Celebrity Solstice Mediterranean cruise that goes to Rome, Sicily, Naples and some of the Greek Islands and Ephesus, Turkey in 2009. As far as weather is concerned, would it be better to go on May 15th or June 5th?

How about late October for cruising the Med. on the Solstice? Same cruise schedule as above, leaving from Rome........

We did a cruise last October from Rome to Egypt, Israel, Turkey and Greece. Weather was very nice all the way, not too hot. Did have some low clouds and lite drizzy at Serranto Italy. We were on the Royal Princess.

We enjoyed the trip so much we have booked the Equinox round trip from Rome in October 2009 with similar ports and the TA leaving from Rome to Florida. Will leave Rome on October 23 and arrive in Ft Lauderdale on November 19.

We like to travel in both May and October, great weather, less crowds and cheaper air.

Here's another vote for May. I did my last Med cruise in the month of May, and the weather was beautiful. Even so, Rome got pretty hot. June will be much worse in terms of heat - and that's not even counting CROWDS! Once you get into the summer months, you're looking at an exponential increase in tourism.

Stick with May. :)

We went in Aug the first time and it was WAY too hot...Then in 2006 we went on the last cruise of the season for "O's Nautica...mid to late NOV. Now some may think this was too late, and I'd agree we were lucky...but we had 75o in Rome ,EGYPT,and Turkey and fair sailing for the whole 12 days, had coffee on our Veranda each & every morn. Impossible I'm told in mid- summer. All our tour guides said this was the best time to come, as summer is unbearable. Pushed it a bit, as our last day in Istanbul was a bit cool, And as for crowds there were almost nobody at any of the real tourist spots...Pyramids, Ephesus, Rome had no lines for anything, I actually got photos with almost nobody in them!

My vote is for "Anytime you can afford it" !

Ah, but serendipitously, you'll find the better PRICES in the Med at the best times to go as well -- as they are considered "shoulder" season! "Off" season is even better price-wise, but then you start getting into the winter months and it can actually get pretty cold and rainy in Rome in the winter.

When looking at Med cruises for our 20th anniversary next year we chose the 9/28/09 sailing on Solstice as there was a price break on that cruise. It was a little higher on the same cruise leaving 9/7/09. I am hoping the weather will be very nice at that time of year and the crowds won't be as bad. Anyone have comments on the end of Sept?

I am looking at booking the Celebrity Solstice Mediterranean cruise that goes to Rome, Sicily, Naples and some of the Greek Islands and Ephesus, Turkey in 2009. As far as weather is concerned, would it be better to go on May 15th or June 5th?

My recommendation would be early or late (May or Sept). Weather will not be hot and the crowds will be less.

Europe goes on vacation in Aug.

We went Sept 07 we had 23 days of straight sunshine and great temps. Seas very calm. Athens was the hotest followed by Santorini. In both those places by about 3pm I was overwhelmed by the heat as was the other lady in the group.A water bottle is a must. Crowds were not to huge and we managed, by doing private tours, to miss/beat the big crowds.

In 2004 we cruised the Medi in mid September and the weather was glorious. In 2009 we booked an early October cruise but going further south to Egypt and Israel so I'm hoping the weather will be just as warm. With global warming you just never know what mother nature is going to dish out!

Hi there

We did 5 May last year Rome to Venice, taking in Turkey, Athens, Greek Isles (Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu etc) and the weather was glorious - 90 degrees in Athens. Also sailed the med in September 06 - equally glorious. We are booked on Solstice for 28 September 09 sailing too - so hoping for some fine temperatures then.

Hope you all have a great time whatever you choose.

Glenda

In October the weather is cloudy, but in order to visit the cities (Roma - Atene - Istanbul - Alexandria) are better, possible rain but no Hot Sun.

Sorry for my English

In October the weather is cloudy, but in order to visit the cities (Roma - Atene - Istanbul - Alexandria) are better, possible rain but no Hot Sun.

Sorry for my English

Hi there! Since we can understand what you are saying, then your English is just fine. Thanks for responding. :)

Better May, the beginning of June is much bond for the weather.

For visit Rome, best June.

Hi, I was wondering if you would mind telling me what the wheather in Rome is like in November. I will be traveling there at that time of year.

Thank you in advance.

Archived