Children staying on ship in Europe?

YvonneSR

We plan on taking our boys (8 & 11) on a Mediterranean cruise soon. I know these cruises are port intensive, and not sure if our boys want to visit every port.

Does RCCL let minors stay on board in their kids club while we are in port?

Yvonne

Yes- they most certainly do allow minors to stay onboard. I did Celebrity (same policies as RCI) this past summer and left my child onboard while in port.

Two suggestions though- either stay close to the ship... like in Santorini or Dubrovnik or do a ship tour so that you know they will hold the ship up if your tour is late in getting back.

Two suggestions though- either stay close to the ship... like in Santorini or Dubrovnik or do a ship tour so that you know they will hold the ship up if your tour is late in getting back.

Well, not exactly - if you are on a ship's tour that is delayed, they will guarantee to get you to the next port but will not hold the ship. Also, they have no way of contacting you in case of emergency.

That is not true. If you are on a ship's tour they will hold up the ship. They do it all the time. They would not want to incur the cost of transporting and providing accomodations to people. I would like for you to give a fore instance of when people have gone on a ship sponsored tour and where the ship left without them.

The fact is that your child will be fine on the ship in your absence. This summer I am traveling alone with my 7 year old and don't intend to leave him alone of the ship unless I am on a ship tour. I probably wouldn't do an eight hour tour because I would feel bad leaving him for that amount of time. However, last summer my father and I did a wonderful excursion to the Cinque Terre that would probably have bored my son at age 6. My stepmother was onboard and that is why I left for that amount of time.

But don't hesitate to book 4 hour tours and rest assured the cruise line will make sure you are back onboard. This would not necessarily be the case if you and your husband do your own tour. However, given that you have a child... I would make sure to take the phone number to the ship if you are doing any sightseeing on your own. Also make it known to the ship staff that you are going to gone for a tour. You can write down which tour for them and the time scheduled back from said tour.

Rebeccalouise, I respectfully disagree with you on the ship staying if a tour is late. I've been on quite a few cruises where the ship has left even when their own tours are late. There are many instances when a ship has no choice but to leave, especially when they are dealing with tidal conditions and the ship must leave a port. I've had friends who've been left in a port because their ship's tour was so late, but the tide was going out and the ship would have been in trouble if it hadn't left.

To the OP, if you leave your sons, take tours that are shorter, as many tours in the Med can be 10 hours or longer, and stick with the ship's tours. Also know that if your ports include Rome and Florence, it's at least 90 minutes away from the cruise terminal. If you do independent tours, the ship will not wait one minute, but at least with a ship's tour, your chances of them waiting is higher.

Unless this is literally a once in a lifetime trip, I would suggest just planning tours in the ports that the children would enjoy. IMHO, you can't "do/see it all" anyway, and trying just stresses you out. There are many things to do in the ports of call that would appeal to children.

We took our then 4 and 8 year old with us in every port on a 12 Eastern Med, and they had a great time. Tuned into the Today show this morning, and Matt Lauer was giving a teaser that he was going to be at the Blue Mosque next. DS said "we were there!" In typical little sister mode, DD (now 5) chimed in "no we weren't", "yes, we were" - you get the picture! Fast forward through the commercial break, and there is Matt Lauer in the Blue Mosque, and DD says "We were there!" I'll spare you big brother's retort...:p

Admittedly, with the kids along, we didn't focus on museum type excursions, but we did do things like go to the Acropolis. Also, didn't get much shopping done - but with the state of the dollar that might be considered a good thing! :eek:

Frequent gelato stops kept our kids going! :D

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your cruise! :)

I agree with I&MsMom, plan stuff that the kids can participate in. My DD's first trip to Europe was at 3. I've always loved seeing the sights with the benefit of her viewpoint.

She's now 12YO and still loves to travel with us. We did another HI cruise last spring and an Eastern Med cruise this past fall. She's not thrilled with historical type museums, but love the aquariums and art museums. Her class was studying ancient civilizations so she really got into alot of the ruines (the Acropolis, Olympia, Split).

At 12YO shopping IS beginning to be her thing (so now we have to feel sorry for poor dad -- out numbered by his two shopping ladies!)

PS - don't mention the gellatto stops to me! I LIVE for pistachio gellato!

I think it is highly risky in European ports. Labour strikes are far more common in Europe than in the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc. There can be road closings, traffic delays, and even port closings.

I just don't want to risk it. Leaving a child on a moving shop is far more risky than leaving them at home with a babysitter. And yes even when on a ship's tour the ship must leave if the delay is too great. There are 2000 or so other passengers on board waiting to get to the next port as well as fines and port costs that must be paid if the ship leaves too late or arrives too late.

I have to agree with the posters who say don't do it. I always read people writing, take the ship's excursions because if they are late, the ship will wait for you.

That isn't true! As pointed out, they are slotted to leave at a set time as they have paid for those hours. Weather can also be a factor. The cruiseline would, I assume, rather pay to transport passengers on a ship's excursion to the next port, especially in the Med, then pay fines for not leaving at their assigned time.

I am not a big advocate of cruises in the Med if your child can't handle all the ports. If your child would not enjoy the Med, don't take this type of cruise, or bring someone to stay on the ship with them. How would you feel if your child was left alone overnight? I am not even sure how that would be handled.

For those wondering what would happen if a ship left with kids on board I can tell you how RC would handle it. (I assume other lines have the same thing in place)

A co -worker of my husband had this happen to them.

Their kids were 4 and 6 so they did not have any insight as to how it was realized that they had missed the ship. All the kids knew is that a someone told them that their parents bus had broke down and that they would be at the ship the next day. The kids were going to have a fun adventure and wasn't this funny. They were asked who their favorite councelor was and she (I do not know if they would have let a he) was going to get to spend the night with them. The whole thing was treated as if it was some special adventure and weren't these kids lucky. The councelor was relieved of her other Adventure ocean duties and acted as babysitter until the parents rejoined the ship. She spent the night in their cabin. They ate dinner and breakfast at the Windjammer. She stayed with them every moment until they parents got back. The kids were unfazed.

We plan on taking our boys (8 & 11) on a Mediterranean cruise soon. I know these cruises are port intensive, and not sure if our boys want to visit every port.

Does RCCL let minors stay on board in their kids club while we are in port?

Yvonne

I don't think you understand how the importance of the kids seeing the port cities in what could be a once in a lifetime event is in the lives of your kids, even if they don't realize it yet. What's happening on the ship is just fun that the kids can have while sailing or back home. Both of them are old enough that anything they see they will be able to picture for the rest of their life. When they're 25 and telling people they were in Santorini or Monaco, don't you think they'd want to remember what it was and not a play area? Use the ship as a sitter when you're on it. That's just my opinion.

We have done this (both on ship's tours and on our own) but never ventured too far from the ship and have been back on board well before departure. One of the best things to do is go out and see some of the nightlife on stops where the ship spends the night in port.

Unless this is literally a once in a lifetime trip, I would suggest just planning tours in the ports that the children would enjoy. IMHO, you can't "do/see it all" anyway, and trying just stresses you out...

This is great advice and we always mix up kid friendly tours into our trips. Even without kids you can't do or see it all! My advide is to relax, have fun, and hope you'll have an opportunity to return someday.

... I am not a big advocate of cruises in the Med if your child can't handle all the ports. If your child would not enjoy the Med, don't take this type of cruise, or bring someone to stay on the ship with them. ...

Most any kid will love a Med cruise during the summer, even if they only hang out at the ships pool. It really is all about setting expectations and understanding what you want to get out of the trip.

For those wondering what would happen if a ship left with kids on board I can tell you how RC would handle it. ...

Their kids were 4 and 6 so they did not have any insight as to how it was realized that they had missed the ship. All the kids knew is that a someone told them that their parents bus had broke down and that they would be at the ship the next day. The kids were going to have a fun adventure and wasn't this funny. They were asked who their favorite councelor was and she (I do not know if they would have let a he) was going to get to spend the night with them. The whole thing was treated as if it was some special adventure and weren't these kids lucky.

That was a great way to handle it and I'm glad the kids enjoyed it. And at least they had each other.

I still don't think I'm willing to risk it. Our kid will be onshore when we're ashore and onboard when we're onboard. I wouldn't be comfortable getting off the ship for 5 minutes without her.

But we each have our own worries and tolerance levels for risk.

Both of them are old enough that anything they see they will be able to picture for the rest of their life.

I think this is exactly right. So much of what makes a European trip special is just BEING there. Walking through the streets, sitting at an outdoor cafe, riding a funicular, observing (maybe being invited to join?) a soccer game in the town square - these are the things that your children will likely remember long after they've forgotten which particular famous painting they saw in which museum. So, go, bring the kids and have fun! :)

For those wondering what would happen if a ship left with kids on board I can tell you how RC would handle it. (I assume other lines have the same thing in place)

Their kids were 4 and 6 so they did not have any insight as to how it was realized that they had missed the ship. All the kids knew is that a someone told them that their parents bus had broke down and that they would be at the ship the next day. The kids were going to have a fun adventure and wasn't this funny. They were asked who their favorite councelor was and she (I do not know if they would have let a he) was going to get to spend the night with them. The whole thing was treated as if it was some special adventure and weren't these kids lucky. The councelor was relieved of her other Adventure ocean duties and acted as babysitter until the parents rejoined the ship. She spent the night in their cabin. They ate dinner and breakfast at the Windjammer. She stayed with them every moment until they parents got back. The kids were unfazed.

I'm sure the kids were unfazed, but I bet the parents weren't. Maybe it's me, but having a ship's crew member spend the night in my room is unsettling. Looks like it turned out, but still not an ideal situation.

Well actually the parents were unfazed too. It was their first cruise and the way the cruiseline acted toward them was as if it happens all the time. (I know this not to be true) but that was the way it was handled. It kept them from getting worried and upset.

It wasn't until they returned and told the office the story and I almost fell off my chair. I tried to keep my composure but the wife noticed. Later that evening she confronted me. I told her that I had never read it happening before. I said that if it was posted on CC it would be a hot topic. I did not want them to get upset after the fact. The cruiseline handled it perfect, they had a great time. No harm, no foul.

WOW! This is a really scary situation. Were they on a land tour that was purchased through the cruiseline?

I can tell you that years ago (before we had kids) we were on the Song of America and it was the first time that RCCL went to Dominica and we went on a RCCL sponsored tour. We were really late getting back (the 4 hour tour lasted almost 7 hours and I still do not know why??) and they did hold the ship. I was really worried but was later told that the shore excursion staff was in the other van and they would not have left. I always thought that this was the case.

I would not do a shore excursion without my kids when we are all on a cruise together. I would be too worried that something like this would happen and I really would not enjoy myself on the tour because I would be too preoccupied.

Thank you for posting. It is something to think about when considering a shore excursion and leaving the kids on-board.

jimswims: They were on an excursion purchased through the ship. (They were so green they didn't even realize that there were any other options) They were on some tour in the Baltics that used a small van. I think they were in a group less than 20. I did not get too specific, and also wondered if they were with a much larger group would things have been different.

jimswims: They were on an excursion purchased through the ship. (They were so green they didn't even realize that there were any other options) They were on some tour in the Baltics that used a small van. I think they were in a group less than 20. I did not get too specific, and also wondered if they were with a much larger group would things have been different.

Thank you for posting this information. It certainly makes me think twice if I would ever leave the kids on board while my DW and I went ashore. My kids are now 13 and 10 and they will be with us on all shore excursions on our upcoming summer cruise.

I have to admit that in 2004, we did leave our kids on-board the NCL Majesty when we went to a wedding on land in Bermuda. The kids were with the Kids Crew staff and it was pre-arranged. The ship was in port for 3 days and we were not leaving for another day so there was no way that the ship could leave without us. There was lots of family and friends on this cruise as well. Some who did not go to the wedding and were the contacts if the staff could not reach us. Even with all of this, I was nervous about even doing this. However, it worked out really well and the kids had much more fun with the staff than they would have at the wedding.

Jimswims: I think it is all up to the individual family. Kids club is open while on shore SO families have an option. If I were sailing with kids who had already done 4 shore days in a row and they were going to explode if they saw ONE more church I might leave then on the boat. I look at it as if the parents have a right to make the most of the trip themselves. The odds are no worse that the ship will leave with out you then your family will be killed in a car accident driving to the port. If the WORST thing that happens is that a babysitter watches your kids overnight, big deal (I have hired an overnight sitter in the past, but maybe this is a big no no to others) These boards are great for many things but I also believe that the focus tends to be on the negative side of every possibility.

Jimswims: I think it is all up to the individual family. Kids club is open while on shore SO families have an option. If I were sailing with kids who had already done 4 shore days in a row and they were going to explode if they saw ONE more church I might leave then on the boat. I look at it as if the parents have a right to make the most of the trip themselves. The odds are no worse that the ship will leave with out you then your family will be killed in a car accident driving to the port. If the WORST thing that happens is that a babysitter watches your kids overnight, big deal (I have hired an overnight sitter in the past, but maybe this is a big no no to others) These boards are great for many things but I also believe that the focus tends to be on the negative side of every possibility.

Hi VikkiGarcia:

These are very good points and I agree about it being up to the individual family.

I also agree that many things can happen while in port and on-board as well. You can bet that when we were driving back to the ship in the taxi after the wedding I was thinking car accident the way the driver was going up and down the hills of Bermuda at such a fast speed!

By posting what happened to the family that you know, you wiped out the "safety feeling" that the ship will not leave a ship sponsored excursion behind. I always believed that the ship will wait, now I know differently. This is not bad, it just means more thinking and planning on what to do on future cruises.

Archived