You're charging me for WHAT?!?!??!

Merion_Mom

lol - we're booked on JetBlue for our Jan 09 cruise

what they did is - most planes people are packed in like sardines - and if the person in front of you puts their seat back - they are in your lap - literally. So JetBlue removed some rows of seats in their planes and repositioned rows so that some rows have extra legroom. If you are tall it's worth it - if you are going to be on a plane a long time it's worth it. I'm short, but my SO is not - so he's got an aisle seat. And we paid extra for the 'extra legroom' because we are flying out of the Mid-Atlantic in January - we might get stuck on the tarmac for some time. I was sandwiched in like a sardine on a flight once - snow/ice delayed 3 hrs - and for 2 of it we were in the plane (4 people couldn't take it anymore and got off). It's how we're starting our vacation - I splurged :)

JetBlue? $10 for "extra legroom"...what do they do, come and move the seat in front of you...lol :confused:

Nope, they didn't forget:

:( :(

I checked USAir's website, and it *does* appear that they don't charge for that second bag on flights to EUROPE. :rolleyes:

Carol, Air Scamada is only charging on some flights - domestic and North America I believe, not international flights.

Fran

Delta is also charging more for carrying on pets.....I believe it is $100 each way if you carry the pet in the cabin (not sure about if you check the pet). It used to be $50 each way. Here is what I don't understand...if carrying a pet, you MUST put it under the seat in front of you and it counts as one of your carryons. So why do you have to pay so much extra? I don't do this...my boss and was venting to me about it recently.

Delta is also charging more for carrying on pets.....I believe it is $100 each way if you carry the pet in the cabin (not sure about if you check the pet). It used to be $50 each way. Here is what I don't understand...if carrying a pet, you MUST put it under the seat in front of you and it counts as one of your carryons. So why do you have to pay so much extra? I don't do this...my boss and was venting to me about it recently.

Did you hear about the vultures who were going to Florida on vacation?

They walked up to the counter to check in with their airline, with a dead racoon under each wing.

The airline worker said, "Sorry. Only one carrion per passenger."

:D :D :D :D :D

Did you hear about the vultures who were going to Florida on vacation?

They walked up to the counter to check in with their airline, with a dead racoon under each wing.

The airline worker said, "Sorry. Only one carrion per passenger."

:D :D :D :D :D

Ba dum bum chic

Thank you, she'll be here all week folks :D

Damn. Oh well. :(

Have a great trip! I'm about to have a college graduate daughter!

Congratulations Carol!!!!! And just think, in 90 days you'll have to start paying it all back. :eek:

(Isn't that how ling they defer it these days, 90 days after graduation? Or is it 6 months? I can't remember it was so long ago...lol)

Woohooo! And I am going to be in Niagara Falls, Canada! LOL!!!!

Want me to take you with me. ;)

Michele - it's not that bad. OK, NF in first part of May in Canada -- maybe not the best time (but we're the better side:p )

Is Air Canada the only one that has been restricting how much carryon (and weight) anyone can bring onboard for some time now?

Dirtgirl -- so true -- AC has been flying more and more aircraft that only has 2 seats on each side -- how do you charge for an aisle when you basically have no choice:) .

Cruise lines charge different rates for the same cabin based on its location. So why shouldn't airlines do the same?

Instead of having a charge for extra legroom, actually price each seat on the plane differently. Aisle seat at the front of the plane three or four times what window seat at the very back of plane costs, something like that.

Airlines and Cruise Companies are not the same. One is a vacation provider (that happens to move), one is a mode of transportation.

I wouldnt really mind paying extra for better seats, that kind of makes sense. But paying of luggage is really poor. I mean people fly so they can get around, you need bags to come with you. It is even poorer considering all this used to be free.

Now maybe i wouldnt even mind paying for bags IF the airlines held up their end of the bargain. This means, being on time. Not sitting on the runway for 30 minutes and now having to wait 30 minutes to get into a gate.

If the airlines could get their basic functions correct, i prob wouldnt mind paying a little extra.

Guess I pass on that second cup of coffee!!! :D :eek: :D

We're at their mercy and they know it. They can do anything they want.....it will come to blows sooner or later and then maybe some regulation will come back into play! Since the deregulation way back when......we have been paying for it since! :eek:

My DH and I have a bet going......with all the mergers, buy outs and bankruptcies, we each say that the airlines will come down to just 2 or 3 airlines. Our bet is when it will happen and who will be left standing....or flying!! :)

I agree with your post 100%. Its funny, i fly northwest a lot and get emails from them. When the merger happened, I got an email saying how this would merger would enable them to provide better service, more flights, more perks ect ect...bottom line: good for the customer.........yea right.

We need to allow international airlines into our country or we need to regulate/subsidize our airlines so the consumer doesnt lose. Problem with the latter option is that this country is broke.

Northwest has been doing this for years. It is $15 per flight to reserve seats in the Exit rows or the first rows in a new section (behind Front Class, etc.). Since my hubby is 6'4" it is worth it for us :D

###

Are those what they call the "bulkhead" seats?

Why am I NOT surprised???

Actually, my mom just emailed me her flight arrangements for our cruise in August (Yeah! finally sailing Enchantment)...

She was actually charged $6 to CHOOSE her seat... had she opted for the seat near the emergency exit (that extra leg room), it would have been an extra $5 on top of that... unbelievable.

Which airline was this? Isn't Southwest starting this fee for choosing your seat?

I am flying, for the first time, a new airline here -- Southern Skyways. They charge $20 a ticket to book at their website, and $10 for ANY checked bag. Carry-ons only, if you don't want to pay extra. It is technically considered a charter, so they can raise fuel surcharges up until the moment you get on. It saves me 2 1/2 hrs (5 rt) in travel time and parking, making it competative with the lines flying out of the major airports in my state -- we will see how their service is, and if the ticket agent is correct, that they won't increase fuel charges after I paid. I have never paid this much for a ticket flying within the continental US.

So not only does it cost our family of 5 an arm and a leg to fly to Florida to catch a ship, now I have to pay God know's how much for our 10 pieces of luggage??!!! Plus a fuel surcharge etc etc etc...GEEZE!! ....Glad the Mariner is coming down to us, it may be Mexico, but at least we don't have to fly to get to the ship!

Next they will have us pay to use the boarding area in the airport! It's bad enough a value meal at McDonald's their cost about $10 dollars per person (lol):eek::D

Which airline was this? Isn't Southwest starting this fee for choosing your seat?

I am flying, for the first time, a new airline here -- Southern Skyways. They charge $20 a ticket to book at their website, and $10 for ANY checked bag. Carry-ons only, if you don't want to pay extra. It is technically considered a charter, so they can raise fuel surcharges up until the moment you get on. It saves me 2 1/2 hrs (5 rt) in travel time and parking, making it competative with the lines flying out of the major airports in my state -- we will see how their service is, and if the ticket agent is correct, that they won't increase fuel charges after I paid. I have never paid this much for a ticket flying within the continental US.

We paid AirTran so that we could choose our seats at the time of making the reservation. I think it was $7 each way.

spirit has some really really really bad reviews out there - one of the reasons I didn't even check them when looking for flights.

I purchased tickets on Monday for our upcoming trip to Fort Lauderdale. I had a choice between Northwest and Spirit, and figured that I would go with Spirit since the flight times were slightly better. Price was nearly identical. After paying for the trip and reviewing my reservation I happen to notice "a deal" on prepaying for checked baggage. The deal was $20 for payment in advance per bag, or $30 per bag at the time of check in, space provided. "This certainly is not for your first checked bag," I thought to myself. I was certain that Spirit was skimmping and reducing the number of free checked items to one. Just to be certain, I decided to call Spirit and confirm my assumption. NOPE! As stated by the OP, Spirit is charging for all checked bags. I don't necessarily care about the $20 per bag (although the ticket agent said the special was actually $10 per bag), but rather the deceptive, penny pinching way that Spirit went about getting extra money from passengers. Spirit,you must be kidding me! I never thought I would feel bad about not flying Northwest.

How crazy is that? JetBlue encourages all online stuff - if you need to cancel/change/etc - it's cheaper to do it online - the fee is higher if you call and talk to a rep.

Archived