Why is there such a difference in prices.

Chacooe

Since this is going to be my very first cruise, I have been really getting to see things that really confuse me. For instance, I will be sailing on the Sapphire Princess to the Mexican Riviera. So I have been looking at rooms with either a balcony or a with a window. So my question is why is there such a difference in the prices for all the same size rooms. For a room with a balcony runs from $848.00 to $1028.00 and then what is really confusing is I get on the internet and start looking at prices and some of them are LOWER then what Princess is advertising. Will someone explain how this works, I am so confused.

The difference in stateroom prices is LOCATION onboard the ship. The same category type staterooms towards midship will be higher than those all the way forward or aft. The midship location seems to be the highest desired stateroom location of passengers. Supply and demand.

As for pricing. Many TA's discount the pricing on Princess, still allowed by this cruise line. Many other cruise lines have stopped this policy, so the prices are no different with them then booking direct (although some TA's will add perks to sweeten the price for other lines).

Princess allows this discounting, so normally, you can get a better price going through a discount TA then you can booking direct.

But before you ask, we are not allowed to recommend TA's here, against the rules.

Since this is going to be my very first cruise, I have been really getting to see things that really confuse me. For instance, I will be sailing on the Sapphire Princess to the Mexican Riviera. So I have been looking at rooms with either a balcony or a with a window. So my question is why is there such a difference in the prices for all the same size rooms. For a room with a balcony runs from $848.00 to $1028.00 and then what is really confusing is I get on the internet and start looking at prices and some of them are LOWER then what Princess is advertising. Will someone explain how this works, I am so confused.

I can only tell you you can easily find prices cheaper then those posted on the Princess site. Be careful going that route and insure you understand the additional fees, deposit, refund policy, and when it has to be paid in full.

As to why the same size room can vary so much, like real estate it is location location location, and people will pay for it so they charge for it.

Depending on the ship, the itinerary, and what you like to do it could be worth it or a total waste of your dollars. I would say if this is your first cruise go cheap, if cruising is for you you'll upgrade on you future cruises or forever enjoy the value of the interior cabin.

Internet TA's are typically always lower than any cruise lines' PVP's. Just make sure when comparing, you make sure it's the same cabin class. To me, some of the higher categories, are not necessarily better so you can book a guarantee and sometimes get an upgrade. Again, upgrades to me is not necessarily better. I use nothing but online TA's but did use a PVP on my first cruise as I was pretty clueless like most people are on their first cruise. Now I pretty much what I want, when I want so I do everything my self.

There are varying opinons of the value of balconies in general as some people can't do without, some don't care. I look at price differences between outside and balcony and make a determination that way. It really doesn't make a lot of difference to me whether I have a balcony or not as cruises are totally dependent on the weather and sometimes are windy enough not to make the balcony a lot of value and some are beautiful that makes the balcony well worth it........ Your call as I have yet to have a "bad" location regardless of what some may say.

To a newbie, search the value of trip insurance here and make sure you know what's going on in that regard as well.

The above replies are correct. Pricing can depend on where the cabin is located. There is typically more motion the closer to the front or rear of the ship. On this itinerary, the first and last days of the cruise are sea days and can sometimes be a little rough. If you are prone to motion sickness, it might be worth the cost to book a cabin closer to the middle of the ship.

As for differences in pricing between TAs and Princess, some TAs do discount (sometimes taking the hit on their commission). But make sure you include all fees, surcharges, taxes, etc. For example, on your itinerary for a given sailing, these additional charges total over $225 per person.

Happy travels.

I believe some of the very large online booking services are consolidators. The consolidators negotiate a large block of staterooms as a group at a wholesale price and that way they get a much lower price. The consolidators don’t sell the cruises directly but rather wholesale them too various online travel agents in groups. If you have ever used one of this kind of online travel agents you will see the booking engines are very similar. These online cruise discounters can therefore sell the cruise at a lower price than most brick and mortar travel agents and almost always at a lower price than you can get from the cruise line directly.

As an example I just checked one of the wholesalers for an 18 day Princess cruise with in category BB stateroom. I got a price of $5,822 total all fees included. Princess, as a Captain’s Circle member or just a fist time cruiser gave me a total price of $7,884. I did not want to bother a brick and mortar travel agent but I doubt they could match the online discount price.

I have already booked this cruise several months ago at a total price of $5,220 for the BB category. There was also a $25 per person OBC issued for being part of a group that I did not know anything about in addition to other OBCs that I was entitled to. The online agency that I booked with is now charging $6,950. So, I would guess that the first travel agent with the $5,822 price has excess staterooms in that category they need to sell. It pays to shop around.

We just booked out first ever cruise and we did it through the Travelocity website. I would recommend this. You can do cruise and flight if needed. It was easy. The prices were good. Also you the earlier you book the more selection. The best part of the ship we have been told in the middle as the front hits the waves and the back has the propellers.

Typically the higher you are on the ship the more motion you will feel. Best spot for almost no movement is low and center.

When picking a cabin, check out the deck plans to make sure you are not directly over a nightclub or next to an elevator which can be noisy.

Good luck to you.

TA give you most of the time some OBC too. Just found a well known TA on internet who offered me a Cat-II (highest inside cat.) on the Lido deck for $ 690 p/p plus $ 125 OBC.This is for the Ruby inaugural cruise. I couldn't refuse it. Oceanview was like $ 60 more, but I like inside, because the darker the better for me.

TA give you most of the time some OBC too. Just found a well known TA on internet who offered me a Cat-II (highest inside cat.) on the Lido deck for $ 690 p/p plus $ 125 OBC.This is for the Ruby inaugural cruise. I couldn't refuse it. Oceanview was like $ 60 more, but I like inside, because the darker the better for me.

Have you been to the roll call for the Innaugral?:)

I agree with all the posters above and I would also like to add that the price for cruise and cabin depend on the date of the cruise. There are times of the year when the prices are lower, for example the first two weeks of December are lower because the demand is lower between the holidays. Other factors are destination of cruise, competition for that destination, size of ship are just a few. If you check the same cruise a month before or after your particular date, you might see a difference in price for the same cabin.

I have used my employer's travel agency for three of my last cruises and they do discount the price from the cruiseline price. However, after reading on CC that so many people book with online TAs, I decided to investigate and I found two online TAs but I know I can't mention their names. Both of their quotes were really much, much lower than the agency I had been using, so I booked my Alaska cruise with one of them and so far, everything seems fine. They even have internet booking representatives that you can call and ask questions of and there's no charge for that. One of them makes you buy a booking fee and one doesn't. And yes, they do buy blocks of space and that is one way they offer lower prices.

But I remember when I was planning my first cruse, I was very nervous about the pricing variances and therefore went with the agency that was recommended to me by my co workers. I am by no means an experienced cruiser, after only two cruises, but I do like investigating cruise websites and finding the best prices that I can find.

No matter what, you will have a grand time on your cruise!

Our first cruise was on Sun Princess with an Oceanview (window) cabin high up and near the front of the ship. It was GREAT. We found that ships are so big that unless one is really prone to motion sickness it doesn't matter where the cabins are. So we just pick the best location we want that is in a price range we can afford. Sometimes oceanview, sometimes balconies. for us the cost of the midship cabin is not worth it, as we were only seasick once - in a major storm and not on Princess.

There will ALWAYS be someone who got a better price, so pay what you feel is fair and when onboard ship don't discuss price. All that will do is either make you or whoever you are talking to unhappy.

Our first cruise was through a major brick and mortar agency with offices everywhere - it really helped to be able to talk with an experienced Travel Agent who responded to our needs and questions.

Which ever way and cabin you choose to book, have a GREAT cruise !!!

would you please let me know the travel agents name you went with for the 11/8/08 inaugural ruby princess

thanks, pema

This is an extract from the board guidelines:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#5

This is an extract from the board guidelines:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#5

The reason they don't allow you to discuss TA is because the heavy advertisers here are paying for the space and they are definitely NOT the cheapest.

Shop and you'll be rewarded for you're effort, like all things you can save a bundle if you are smart and are willing to do a few extra key strokes.

And don't believe one bit what people tell you about service. No fullservice TA is on the boat with you cleaning your toilet or greasing the waiters to bring your food first.. LOL

And just to add to this. Posting your email address here on CC and asking others to email you TA recommendations is also against posting rules. Lately, we have seen more and more of these requests posted. But when seen, the moderators will pull them, and if you continue to ask and post your email address, you take the chance at being asked to no longer contribute to the forums if rules can not be followed. One of those things, CC forums, CC rules, follow them or you take your changes of not being allowed back.

would you please let me know the travel agents name you went with for the 11/8/08 inaugural ruby princess

thanks, pema

I'm not allowed to give you TA names on cruisecritics and I don't have your e-mail

For those people looking for more info, you ARE allowed to post your email address in your signature as long as you're not a TA soliciting business. This site's FAQ section states: "If you would like members to e-mail you, please include your e-mail address in your signature. To edit your signature, click USER CP > Edit Signature."

Enjoy!

For those people looking for more info, you ARE allowed to post your email address in your signature as long as you're not a TA soliciting business. This site's FAQ section states: "If you would like members to e-mail you, please include your e-mail address in your signature. To edit your signature, click USER CP > Edit Signature."

Enjoy!

DON'T take this advice, their cruise critic TA police troll and if they catch you sending good deals they will take down your account. They're secret undercover trolls employed by the CC police to insure you don't share deals that beat their big advertiser.

Email tips at your own risk:eek:

I believe some of the very large online booking services are consolidators. The consolidators negotiate a large block of staterooms as a group at a wholesale price and that way they get a much lower price. The consolidators don’t sell the cruises directly but rather wholesale them too various online travel agents in groups. If you have ever used one of this kind of online travel agents you will see the booking engines are very similar. These online cruise discounters can therefore sell the cruise at a lower price than most brick and mortar travel agents and almost always at a lower price than you can get from the cruise line directly.

As an example I just checked one of the wholesalers for an 18 day Princess cruise with in category BB stateroom. I got a price of $5,822 total all fees included. Princess, as a Captain’s Circle member or just a fist time cruiser gave me a total price of $7,884. I did not want to bother a brick and mortar travel agent but I doubt they could match the online discount price.

I have already booked this cruise several months ago at a total price of $5,220 for the BB category. There was also a $25 per person OBC issued for being part of a group that I did not know anything about in addition to other OBCs that I was entitled to. The online agency that I booked with is now charging $6,950. So, I would guess that the first travel agent with the $5,822 price has excess staterooms in that category they need to sell. It pays to shop around.

No, that's not how it works. Any size agency can take out group space. The larger the agency, the more capital it has, the more speculative group space it takes out. Taking out group space when it is first released results in ultimately having the lowest price available as you get closer to sail date. There is no wholesale market in the cruise industry. It's all retail. There is no wholesale agency that resells to travel agencies -- that may be prevalent in many industries, but it's not what happens in the cruise business. I've worked for both small agencies and for internet mega-agencies and I'm positive that this is a retail environment.

DON'T take this advice, their cruise critic TA police troll and if they catch you sending good deals they will take down your account. They're secret undercover trolls employed by the CC police to insure you don't share deals that beat their big advertiser.

Email tips at your own risk:eek:

Simply saying anyone can put their email address in their signature as quoted from FAQ.

There are people on here who are not soliciting their company. They're just sharing their experience, which is what I thought this board was about. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

I really do appreciate all of this information, I really do. The cruise that I am going on is a group cruise sponsored by one of our local radio stations and the travel agent herself is going also, so I will really be able to ask questions. One reason is I am asking is I would like to plan a cruise to Alaska next year, so all of this information about getting the best price is great. I did save about $800.00 by not flying to LA, but taking the train. To take the train from where I live to Long Beach will run me only $227.00 round trip for 2 people, which I think is a great price. Even if I went by Greyhound for two people it would only be $157.00 round trip. So I am doing some homework.

Archived