natural history tour in denali

prcua

our cruisetour includes the natural history tour in denali. We have heard it was not worth the 5 hours. This our first trip to alaska, but would it be better to just spend the time on our own.5 hours on a school bus leaving at 6 am makes for a long day

We also have the same question as our Cruisetour also includes this tour..could someone suggest something else that we might do in it's place? I have contacted the phone number for the National Park Service given in an earlier thread on the same subject, and I don't think we have enough time to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour and get back in time to catch our transportation to Fairbanks (and please don't tell me to cancel our land tour!). Thanks for the suggestions!

Do you need a reservation for the shuttle bus? Is it like a "hop on, hop off" kind of thing if we decide to get off and hike or look around?

Yes you do need reservations and it is often said that you should make them in advance so as not to be shut out.

http://www.reservedenali.com/reservations/index.cfm

I believe there is no problem getting off the shuttle for some hiking and then flagging down another bus.

As I always post, be certain you want to stick with these lacking Natural History itineraries??? If available to you, at all costs, change those choices. They are a significant part of the reason to even go to Alaska, and why go there, spend all that big money and only get a fraction of what you can.

It's really terrible that there are posters, who haven't gone yet, and now find out the specifics about what they have purchased that should have been known when they booked.

You absolutely have to have reservations for any shuttle buses. IF you do go that option, at least book to Tolkat, BUT be very aware of your timing, and transfers to get there. A taxi service was noted several weeks ago, confirm it.

IF you are thinking your Alaska trip will be filled with scenery and wildlife, then don't even remotely consider the Natural History tour, it won't make it.

Archived