First Time Questions

Hello all cruisers. Hopefully this is a good place to post a question or two regarding cruising.

I'm looking at taking a cruise in September of this year. It will be my first cruise. I am single and will be traveling alone (I need to get away from everyone up here for a week.) Therefore my choice of cruise line due to inflated costs for traveling alone has pretty much been narrowed down to Carnival. I am looking at taking a Carnival cruise out of Miami. Any thoughts on any other cruiselines that don't raise the single travelor so much?

The cruises depart Monday and to be safe I'd most likely fly down on Sunday and get a hotel for the night. One thing I'm wondering though is how far is the airport from the cruise port? How is the city between the two? Would I be stupid getting a hotel near either and just walking the street part way for one? Like find a hotel right outside the airport and walk to the hotel then take a taxi the next day to the port of Miami. Or would that just be dumb? Sorry, I hate cabs as everyone I've been taken for a ride in (and not a good ride.)

Truely, all I want is a good cruise away from work and family, before the two drive me nuts and put me in a straight jacket. :p Oh, and I don't want to spend alot for the package. Thanks in advance to all.

Yeah--15-25 minutes from the airport, depending on traffic. The cabs have a set fare, so they won't be "taking you for a ride"! It's $24.00 from the airport to the port.

Make a room reservation SOMEWHERE before you get there! The rooms tend to sell out quickly!

Ft Lauderdale is easier than Miami to get out of imo. But Miami is doable, the hotel will just be more expensive.

Both airports are no more than 30 - 45 minutes apart, so you can fly into either airport whichever is cheaper.

Someone said Holland? also had the 150% fare like Carnival.

Which ship are you considering. If its a 7 day cruise, some of those ships have port holes and windows on Carnival.

Maybe hotels will have a free shuttle to pick you up from the airport. Get on the East Coast board and click on Florida departures for good ideas on hotels.

I have been looking at flying into FLL. The difference in flights from up here is FLL is cheaper by $10. I just wonder if I'll make that $10 up or not. Keep in mind I don't plan on getting a rental car so I'd have to figure out how to get from FLL to the port the easiest/cheapest way. I'm looking at a 4 day cruise on the Fascination right now.

And I thought going to Vegas was hard, this seems even harder, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been looking at flying into FLL. The difference in flights from up here is FLL is cheaper by $10. I just wonder if I'll make that $10 up or not. Keep in mind I don't plan on getting a rental car so I'd have to figure out how to get from FLL to the port the easiest/cheapest way. I'm looking at a 4 day cruise on the Fascination right now.

And I thought going to Vegas was hard, this seems even harder, lol.

I am flying into FLL for a Miami departure and have looked into getting to the Port of Miami and you will not do it for $10. (We are saving a few hundred dollars so will still do it ). Many hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the airport. Maybe some will offer shuttles to the port.

I am flying into FLL for a Miami departure and have looked into getting to the Port of Miami and you will not do it for $10. (We are saving a few hundred dollars so will still do it ). Many hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the airport. Maybe some will offer shuttles to the port.

I booked a flight into FLL after they continually went up drastically last week into Miami. For some reason FLL hadn't changed any prices so I was able to fly into them for $211 vs $310 into Miami. So now I just have to find a rental car that I can pick up at FLL and does drop-off at the port in Miami.

• 2 weeks later...
I booked a flight into FLL after they continually went up drastically last week into Miami. For some reason FLL hadn't changed any prices so I was able to fly into them for $211 vs $310 into Miami. So now I just have to find a rental car that I can pick up at FLL and does drop-off at the port in Miami.

I am a little confused..:confused: You were saying earlier that you wanted to do this on the cheap, now you are talking about renting a car, one way, to drop off at the port??? That is not going to be cheap.. Taxi's have set rates so you are safe there... There is a Holiday inn right across from the port.. You can walk to the port.. (About a mile and a half, maybe two)

With the written concern about costs etc. I sure hope you have done your homework concerning the added cabin per day tips, the costs of "extras" etc..

Have fun on your cruise though...

I am a little confused..:confused: You were saying earlier that you wanted to do this on the cheap, now you are talking about renting a car, one way, to drop off at the port??? That is not going to be cheap.. Taxi's have set rates so you are safe there... There is a Holiday inn right across from the port.. You can walk to the port.. (About a mile and a half, maybe two)

With the written concern about costs etc. I sure hope you have done your homework concerning the added cabin per day tips, the costs of "extras" etc..

Have fun on your cruise though...

Rental car Dollar FLL to Miami is $29 total (that includes taxes, rental, etc.) I just have to pay extra for any fuel I burn. Then Dollar has free shuttle from their drop off to the port. That's a savings there that partially pays for the rental car.

I know about the tips, I've already prepaid those. Extras, what extras? None needed for me besides souveniers and food while I'm at the ports, so maybe $40 in extra food for the trip if you count the pre-cruise stay as well.

I've got it all figured out now.

Flight leaves Dayton at 10:30 am on Sunday and arrives at 5:00 pm in FLL (that includes a layover in Atlanta.) I pick up the rental car at FLL and load my luggage in there and drive to Miami to stay at the Laquinta Inn Miami airport east. I can stop at a Kroger, Target, Walmart, Kmart, etc along the way and pickup a 12 pack of Diet Coke to save me money on the cruise. I will then stay at the Laquinta overnight (where I get free breakfast) and around 10:00 am on Monday return it to the Miami dropoff location and take their FREE shuttle to the port. Should arrive at the port by 11:00 am. I then get on the ship hopefully in zone 1 boarding and can eat lunch on the ship (free again.) I stay on the cruise for the duration not buying alcohol (not a big drinker and their overpriced alcohol turns me away) and everything is paid for. After the cruise is over I will take one of the post-cruise tours (currently looking at the Port Everglades one) that picks me up from the cruise port, does the tour, and drops me off at FLL. I then depart FLL at 5:30 pm on Friday.

Totals....

Airfare: $211

Rental Car: $29

LaQuinta Inn: $84 + tax

Trip Insurance: $50

Cruise: $504 (includes tips)

Food in Key West: $10

Dolphin Discovery Excursion: $150

Food in Cozumel: $15

Post Cruise Tour: $50 (told it's around there)

Total: $1118

To me for a single person, that's a great deal. I get shafted on the cabin rate, but that's understandable. There's no other areas I could really save any money to make it a cheaper vacation. I'm open to suggestions though. I just don't think a taxi is any cheaper. And sorry, walking 2 miles with luggage would suck.

You may want to check out the Solos board for solo cruising info and ideas.

I sailed both HAL and Carnival solo. Both give breaks to solos on inside and outside cabins as long as it's not during peak season. HAL uses Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) which is generally a cheaper airport to fly to, and there are lots of hotels with shuttles to pick you up at the airport. Some will take you to the cruise terminal.

Roz

You may want to check out the Solos board for solo cruising info and ideas.

I sailed both HAL and Carnival solo. Both give breaks to solos on inside and outside cabins as long as it's not during peak season. HAL uses Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) which is generally a cheaper airport to fly to, and there are lots of hotels with shuttles to pick you up at the airport. Some will take you to the cruise terminal.

Roz

The above cruise price is with a 40% increase in price on an inside upper/lower cabin. The base rate for that cruise was I think $269 for the room per person and then I have to pay $388 for that room by myself.

I originally planned to fly into Miami (I had the cruise booked and deposit paid for Port of Miami) however when Miami went from $240 to $310 in less than a week (3 price increases) I decided I had to get my flight instantly. I looked at Ft Lauderdale and saw they were much cheaper, so I booked there and figured the savings outweighed an expense I'd incur getting between the two. That's where the Rental Car came in and thanks to on here I can get a basic car for $19 + $10 in taxes. That then allows me to explore Miami a little before the cruise.

THe flight is booked so that can't be changed. The cruise is booked and I've met others on here that I'm cruising with, so I don't want to change that. If anyone has any ideas on where to save money elsewhere I'd love to know. And sleeping in the rental car for the night is not an option. LOL

Hello,

Discovered a nice service when we were in FLL in April of this year. There is a shuttle that takes cruise ship passengers from the airport to the cruise ship terminals. The shuttle is outside the car rental stations at the airport.

Make sure though that you check the schedules of operation.

Fred

To the OP.. You seem to be a level headed, economically balanced person..

You have listed your expected expenses for the entire trip..

When you return, let us know how you did,... As well as IF everything worked out as you have it planned,

• 2 weeks later...

another "dumb" question from an excited soon to be first time cruiser :) Can we get coffee & tea any time of day gratis? I read about folk bringing on water & sodas & alcohol, so I was hoping the coffee will be readily available ;) Dh is a coffee fiend & I really don't want to bring a coffee pot with us LOL

Just When Does This Happen--first Time Cruiser In Less Than 4 Days And How Many Times Will This Happen On The Ship

It's called a MUSTER drill and it happens just prior to sailing. Only the one time. The time will be shown in your "newspaper" you'll find in your cabin and you won't miss the many MANY announcements telling you to get your life jacket, put it on, and report to your muster station.

another "dumb" question from an excited soon to be first time cruiser :) Can we get coffee & tea any time of day gratis? I read about folk bringing on water & sodas & alcohol, so I was hoping the coffee will be readily available ;) Dh is a coffee fiend & I really don't want to bring a coffee pot with us LOL

Coffee, tea, lemonade, tap water on ice - all free, all day. No need to lug bottled water with you. The ship's water is very good.

are you asking about Priincess? Each cruiselines do things different-- so if you want to know about Princess dont compare the same replies as with carnival.

Princess has Ice tea /hot tea and coffee for room service and on the lido buffet. (coffee is a preference-- and if you are a coffee snob the coffee for free might not be to your liking) I liked Carnival coffee but did not like the coffee on Princess and paid for fresh brewed coffee each day at the bars.

Soda can be quite expensive at 2.02 each can. so people do take on their own. Some people bring those packets of flavors since Princess does not offer anything outside of iced tea to drink..

Truely, all I want is a good cruise away from work and family, before the two drive me nuts and put me in a straight jacket. :p Oh, and I don't want to spend alot for the package. Thanks in advance to all.

cruising in Sept is an affordable cheap month--- but be aware that this is prime hurricane season so be prepared for missed ports or heading in a complete direction that what you might have anticipated

cruising in Sept is an affordable cheap month--- but be aware that this is prime hurricane season so be prepared for missed ports or heading in a complete direction that what you might have anticipated

We can drive into the hurricane for all I care. LOL I will not be able to be contacted by my parents, my brother, or work. What more could a single man want? :p

We can drive into the hurricane for all I care. LOL I will not be able to be contacted by my parents, my brother, or work. What more could a single man want? :p

To be contacted by a beautiful single woman...;)

Archived