2 women and 2 teenage girls safe on our own???

We are traveling without the men this time, is there any concerns with just the 4 of us while on the island? Can anyone give suggestions on what to do for the day? We have never been there and don't know what to expect. I have read about Orient Beach!!!!

Nothing is 100% safe, of course. All I can say is that I would not be concerned if my wife and one of our daughters when a teenager were with another mother and daughter on the island on a port of call off a ship. In fact, I would think they were crazy to stay on the ship in such a wonderful port. There is a lot to choose from in what to do. Very much a question of personal interest. Orient beach is a beautiful beach - one of the best. Since you make reference to it, that may be where you want to go. This is not the port to stay on the ship!

I would have no concerns about getting off the ship at this port. It is one of my favorite ports. Have fun and as always, no matter where you are, be aware of your surroundings. :)

Just use the same care you would probably use at home. Keep your eyes open, stay in public places, and you will be fine. We (dh, dd16/19) did the Golden Eagle Catamarran last time we were at this port. Had a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with pmfan, of all the islands in the Caribbean I have been to when I actually think about it, this island I feel most safe on, in all seriousness and I have been to quite a few islands.

Something about it, I just feel very safe. We spend our days when at port at the Kon Tiki section of Orient Beach on the french side and then the remainder of the afternoon shopping on the dutch side, right at port. Just my two cents. I think you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with Hubby on a cruise there. We love it! It is gorgeous and there is so much to see and do!

I would feel totally safe going with a girl group, sister in law, whatever. I would go with just one other girl, any girl. I would be more cautious at night, but feel totally safe in the day time. The water taxi is so easy and convenient. I think it was $5 per person, for an all day pass. You hop on and go straight to the shopping/beach/eating area. The ride is like 5-8 minutes or something. Then there are shops and eating places all along the beach there, you can pay for a drink and spend all day in the chairs right there at their beach. (alcohol, soft drink, whatever) We didn't realize how great, easy and cheap it was. We had already booked an excursion. If we go back, WHEN we go back, we would just go straight across on the water taxi and spend the day. Take a towel for the beach and shop too.

We went on a trip to Pinel Island on the French Side. It was a 25ish minute bus ride, that was quite interesting. Then a 8 minute boat ride to the island. Very pretty, good snorkeling (hubby says), everyone spoke french kinda crazy, people were nude again wild, but a great island.

Still, we'd just do the water taxi to the beach/shopping area next time!!! We can't wait to get back!!

You'll love it!!

One of the most beautiful places we've ever been and we've traveled a good bit too. I didn't realize it would be so gorgeous just from the ship even!!

Orient Beach was great. We took a taxi from the pier and they dropped us off at Bikini Beach. If you are at all concerned about safety, you can always take a ship sponsored tour of the island and beach. Leave all your jewelry on the ship...even if it's not real. Thieves don't know the difference.I like the French side much more than the Dutch side. SOme tours stop at Marrigot and that's really nice too.I would not be out and about at night.

We are traveling without the men this time, is there any concerns with just the 4 of us while on the island? Can anyone give suggestions on what to do for the day? We have never been there and don't know what to expect. I have read about Orient Beach!!!!

Don't be around after dark and stay in the crowd! Don't visit Pic Paradis.

Many robberies occured at this location. Also stay away from the Sucker Garden area as well as French Quarter and Dutch Quarter.

Even when you are shopping in Philipsburg, don't cross a lonely side road.

If this really is the Friendly Island, why do you see so much security around? They are on the road for a reason!

Unless you act extremely foolishly (wander off on your own into remote areas)

you will be safe in any public area in SXM in board daylight. Orient beach is safe. Philipsburg is safe. Marigot is safe. I would not wander around Pic Paradis on my own.

So go to a popular beach like Orient or go shopping in Philipsburg or Marigot and you will be fine.

Unless you act extremely foolishly (wander off on your own into remote areas)

you will be safe in any public area in SXM in board daylight. Orient beach is safe. Philipsburg is safe. Marigot is safe. I would not wander around Pic Paradis on my own.

So go to a popular beach like Orient or go shopping in Philipsburg or Marigot and you will be fine.

If some one doesn't mind could you tell me what Marigot is?

Use common sense and you'll feel perfectly safe. I've travelled with just my sister or my kids and never had an issue. Just like any other city, I wouldn't wander off the well beaten paths, but the beaches and tourist areas are fine.

• 1 month later...

We have been to SXM 7 times by cruise ship and for 4 land based holidays. Crime is on the island but is totally avoidable if you use common sense. Arriving by cruise ship means you will likely only be in port during daylight hours. Pburg is great for shopping and is safe on your own. A trip to Orient by taxi at the end of the pier is also very safe and an experience not to be missed. No need to do an excursion with the ship - save your money.

Enjoy, have a good time and use common sense.

Don't be overly concerned. My 57yo mom/ 18 yo son and I went for a graduation cruise. Was a blast. Did beach break thru ship, nice tour of town, had all the ribs/johnny cakes we could hold and unlimited (kinda watered down tho) rum punch. Only hassle was once you got off bus and got settled on the beach you were SWARMED by natives selling their wares.

Don't be overly concerned. My 57yo mom/ 18 yo son and I went for a graduation cruise. Was a blast. Did beach break thru ship, nice tour of town, had all the ribs/johnny cakes we could hold and unlimited (kinda watered down tho) rum punch. Only hassle was once you got off bus and got settled on the beach you were SWARMED by natives selling their wares.

Beach walking vendors are forbidden by Club O from that part of the beach. But since you came by bus on ship's tour they stuck you at Bikini Beach (home of the cruise tours) so the vendors descended like gnats on Joba. Not that you had a choice.

All the threads on what is the best part of Orient always leave out that little detail.:)

Archived