a warning

Flick

Yesterday at OHare we had the following experience. Friends of ours had given me a bottle of wine for my birthday which is later this week. Wary of placing the unprotected bottle in my suitcase I put it instead in my carry-on. (It never occurred to me that a sealed bottle of wine would exceed the 3oz. of liquid rule. They never questioned my needles for my insulin!) At any rate security confiscated the wine and demanded that my wife, not I, go back to check-in and get it boxed. After going to the trouble of finding a box that would work the agent reminded my wife that since we had already checked in this was now an "extra suitcase" and subject to a $25.00 fee. I truly hope he and his fiance enjoy the bottle of wine we gave him!

If you are planning to take a bottle or two of wine for your cabin in your carry on be forewarned.......

Uh, sorry, but that's nothing new with wine OR water OR jars of honey OR juice...you get the idea.

There was a news story a few months back about a man refusing to turn in or check in his bottle of vodka and drank the whole thing in front of the security agent in almost one shot...missed his flight anyway as he spent the next few days in the ICU.

With regards to your insulin supplies thats considered a medical necessity item and is okay (with a note from your doctor). A certain amount of baby formula is also okay.

I put 2 bottles of wine in my check in for my trip to China a few months back, no problems. I went to a UPS store and picked up a couple of wine shipping containers. When I came back from China I had 4 bottles of "medicinal" wine and check them in also.

I put 2 bottles of wine in my check in for my trip to China a few months back, no problems. I went to a UPS store and picked up a couple of wine shipping containers. .

I had no idea this was even possible. Thank you

I'm assuming these containers are designed specifically to prevent damage/breakage to bottles

I had no idea this was even possible. Thank you

I'm assuming these containers are designed specifically to prevent damage/breakage to bottles

Yes, there's two parts. The inner is foam or pressed cardboard molded to hold a bottle. I only used this one. The outer is the regular cardboard shipping box. Its made to ship bottles via USPS or UPS; I have friends who belong to a wine club and they get their monthly bottles shipped to them this way.

Yes, there's two parts. The inner is foam or pressed cardboard molded to hold a bottle. I only used this one. The outer is the regular cardboard shipping box. Its made to ship bottles via USPS or UPS; I have friends who belong to a wine club and they get their monthly bottles shipped to them this way.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like something the cruise lines might want to make available for booze sold onboard (or maybe they have & I've missed it). My last few cruises, I've completely stopped buying any "duty free" beverages just because of concerns about getting them home safely

It never occurred to me that a sealed bottle of wine would exceed the 3oz. of liquid rule.

Was it a 3 oz. bottle and placed in your quart size ziplock bag? The rule does not exclude liquids in corked bottles... that would be silly!

For the totaly soft cases right in the middle is better but most people use wheelies these days so if packed in the correct part of a suitcase between but not touching the bars for the pulling handle and wraped in bubble or some clothes the chances of a bottle breaking are very low, I sometimes stick the neck stick the neck in a shoe to help protect that a bit more.

Guest Anorak33
For the totaly soft cases right in the middle is better but most people use wheelies these days so if packed in the correct part of a suitcase between but not touching the bars for the pulling handle and wraped in bubble or some clothes the chances of a bottle breaking are very low, I sometimes stick the neck stick the neck in a shoe to help protect that a bit more.

Does Fosters come in bottles now as well as cans?

how is this a warning? you're not allowed to bring liquid on a plane in your carryon (has been a rule for a long time now), unless you can fit 3 oz bottles inside a zip lock bag. You're allowed (at least I believe you are) to bring on insulin needles (not sure if you need a prescription or not) but those are a necessity if you have diabetes...

In January we packed 2 bottles of wine in our checked luggage, my Dh bubble wrapped them and then placed them in large zip loc bags. I always carry extra beach towels in my luggage no matter where i go, so I then wrapped them in the towels. No problem at all, didnt even end up in the naughty room ;) when we boarded the ship

Thanks for the info. Sounds like something the cruise lines might want to make available for booze sold onboard (or maybe they have & I've missed it). My last few cruises, I've completely stopped buying any "duty free" beverages just because of concerns about getting them home safely

I just returned from a Princess cruise and they did have liquor protectors for sale... its was a bubble wrap bag that sealed with some pretty sticky 3m tape. I then wrapped those in a couple grocery store plastic bags. I got my 5 bottles home safe and sound (Princess charged $1.25 for the bubble wrap liquor bags).

NCL has airport boxes that you can ask for. I used one for 2 bottle of booze and 1 bottle of wine, put it in the middle of my suitcase and everything arrived just fine. In St Thomas, they have the airport boxes that I used to transport 10 bottles of booze home in my suitcase (in the middle surrounded by lots of clothes), so far they've make it home just fines, as well.

Yesterday at OHare we had the following experience. Friends of ours had given me a bottle of wine for my birthday which is later this week. Wary of placing the unprotected bottle in my suitcase I put it instead in my carry-on. (It never occurred to me that a sealed bottle of wine would exceed the 3oz. of liquid rule. They never questioned my needles for my insulin!) At any rate security confiscated the wine and demanded that my wife, not I, go back to check-in and get it boxed. After going to the trouble of finding a box that would work the agent reminded my wife that since we had already checked in this was now an "extra suitcase" and subject to a $25.00 fee. I truly hope he and his fiance enjoy the bottle of wine we gave him!

If you are planning to take a bottle or two of wine for your cabin in your carry on be forewarned.......

Sorry but I'm trying not to .. um .. grin .. at your warning. It's very old news, and I'm surprised that even if you were aware (were you?) about not being allowed to carry larger than 3 oz bottles of liquids (sealed or not) in your carry-ons, you even tried to! It's your own fault for losing that birthday gift that your kind friends gave you to enjoy on the cruise. Your own stupidity! How did your friends feel? Was it a $150 bottle of Chateau Margeaux?

We have travelled internationally a lot and have packed booze in our checked-in bags. Not a single one broke. I wrap each bottle well in t-shirts and pack in CENTER of each bag. I make sure the bag is a FULL one so the bottle doesn't shift. One trip we came home with 6 bottles :eek: . All intact for our post-holiday enjoyment!!

Hope you learned from your own experience.

I just returned from a Princess cruise and they did have liquor protectors for sale... its was a bubble wrap bag that sealed with some pretty sticky 3m tape. I then wrapped those in a couple grocery store plastic bags. I got my 5 bottles home safe and sound (Princess charged $1.25 for the bubble wrap liquor bags).

NCL has airport boxes that you can ask for. I used one for 2 bottle of booze and 1 bottle of wine, put it in the middle of my suitcase and everything arrived just fine. In St Thomas, they have the airport boxes that I used to transport 10 bottles of booze home in my suitcase (in the middle surrounded by lots of clothes), so far they've make it home just fines, as well.

Thank you both for the info-Happy sailings!

-Monte

Hello?

It has been a rule (very silly) for about two years now that you can not take liquids in your carryon over 3 oz. Nothing new.

And, please, in future postings, try to be a bit more descriptive in your subject line.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#10

What to know before you go:

ItemCarry-onCheckedBeverages brought from home or purchased before reaching the security checkpoint in containers LARGER than 3 oz.NoYesBeverages brought from home or purchased before reaching the security checkpoint in a 3 oz. or smaller container and in your quart-size, zip-top plastic bag.YesYesBeverages purchased after security screeningYesYesMedications, baby formula and food, breast milk, and juice are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Learn more about traveling with children.YesYesCanned or jarred goods such as soup, sauces, peanut butter, fruits, vegetables and jelliesYes - 3 oz. or smaller containerYesCheese in pressurized containersYes - 3 oz. or smaller containerYesDuty free alcohol and other items (Please see our section on Duty Free Items)Yes, but some restrictions apply.YesGel based sports supplementsYes - 3 oz. or smaller containerYesJell-O'sYes - 3 oz. or smaller containerYesPuddingYes - 3 oz. or smaller containerYesWhipped creamYes - 3 oz. or smaller containerYesYogurt or gel like food substancesYes - 3 oz. or smaller containerYesFlameless Ration Heater (FRH) - A product most commonly found in MRE's, used to heat food packages. There is no limit on the number of MREs an individual may possess in checked or carry-on baggage, but the MRE(s) containing FRH(s) must be unopened (original factory seal is unbroken)YesYes

Like the others have said, this has been a rule for a while. I personally always double-check the TSA site before I leave for any trip as I don't know what potentially new rule someone has come up. So, the warning here is to always ALWAYS double check TSA's site.

I am pretty sure anyone would have the option of discarding the bottle of wine at the security gate. I don't think they could force someone to go pay $25 to keep the bottle. Add the $15 corkage the cruise line charges and, unless it's Penfold's Grange or something like that, it's better off in the garbage can.

Sorry, but I cannot imagine how anyone could think a full bottle of wine does not fall within the 3 oz liquid limitation. :confused:

Guess the OP is not a frequent flier.

But his intentions of making the CC public aware are OK. ;)

Guess the OP is not a frequent flier.

But his intentions of making the CC public aware are OK. ;)

True, true!;) While he was trying to warn us he really is PREACHING TO THE CHOIR as they say. Obviously it wasn't a bottle worth more than $25 or he would have paid it:rolleyes:

Guest Anorak33

There has been some discussion elsewhere which led to the conclusion that if a number of terrorists were involved on a plane they could each bring a small quantity of liquid onboard.

Then, using a large bottle which they had bought airside of security and then emptied (duty free booze, bottled water etc) , do exactly what they could have done before the virtually no liquids rule was invoked.

I have seen the rule implemented when a partially used 4oz tube of shaving cream was confiscated, OK it was technically against the 3.2oz rule but was it really a threat?

Never had a problem personally, I breeze through security with sweet f.a. these days.

Archived