Are any HAL recipes available?

btobey

• 1 year later...
I saw the cookbook on display too, but I couldn't figure out where to purchase it. Has anyone actually tried the cookbook? Just wondering how good the recipes are that are actually included...also, is it available anywhere other than through HAL?

Hi, I used to be a Chef with Holland America and have most of the recipes on file....what were you looking for?

I was recently on a b2b cruise on the Westerdam and had a vegetarian main called "Mushroom Mille-Feuilles". It was delicious. I also noticed Karen Kween posted a picture of it on her blog.

I'd love the recipe if it's available.

Chef Mathew......

Thanks for offering to share recipes.

Do you have the bolognese sauce recipe HAL has served for years? I'd like to have the 'real' one. I've gotten a few that are close but not the same.

Hi, I used to be a Chef with Holland America and have most of the recipes on file....what were you looking for?

Thanks Mathew! I actually didn't have anything particular in mind, although I DID love the warm museli cereal on board!!!

Chef Matthew, Are there any HAL or personal recipes that you'd be willing to share on

Joanie's Cruise Critic Member's Favorite Recipes

Joanie's Cruise Critic Member's Favorite Recipes (Back Up Site)

Joanie

Chef Mathew, Jim Vrhovac or anyone:

Recently on the Amsterdam, we had hazlenut cappuccino mousse cake. I keep dreaming about it. If anyone can give me the recipe so I can get a good night's sleep, I'd be very grateful.

Pettifogger, I just did a search and found this: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Glazed-Hazelnut-Mousse-Cake-233810 is this the recipe (or does it sound like it?)

Joanie

SakeDad,

I'd love the recipe for the South Seas Aviation. That drink made my cruise to Mexico a very happy:D one! (Also loved the Cucmber Smash)

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan: Is your avatar your Canadian bred Rag Doll? You didn't have a picture of her when I met you on the Ryndam a couple of years ago? She's a very pretty puss. I on the other hand, purchased an American bred Pixie Bob from a breader in Washington State at a cat show in my home town [Richmond, BC] a year ago. Good to see your name pop up again. Cheers, Gail:D

and you can buy them from Ecookbooks.com at 30-40% off list rather than full price on board the ship. If you buy both there are free books included.

The cookbooks, both by Rudi Sodamin, are A Taste of Excellence and A Taste of Elegance.

IRL Joanie:

The recipe you found is very close. If I don't find the one from the Amsterdam, I'm sure it will be an excellent substitute. Thank you for searching for it.

If you do make it can you send me the final recipe you use and I can add it to the pages.

Glad to have been helpful:)

Joanie

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Sake Dad:

I had a cocktail made with grappa (and vodka I think)...it may have been called a Mediterranean martini...I'm not sure...I have looked for the recipe all over the internet and wondered if you might have it? Thank you so much.

Viv (vacollins)

We were on the Westerdam in May and I fell in love with the Eggs Florentine served in the Pinnacle Grill during breakfast. Does anyone have a recipe for this delicious dish? Thanks for any help you could give me?

The head chef on the Zuiderdam last yeargave us a flash drive with 2200+ HAL recipes. It must be noted that many of the flavoring measures appear to be "to taste" so are left blank. Hope you can make it from the following:

HOLLAND AMERICA

DIRECTORY Eggs Florentine

REVISION DATE: October,1, 2006

Yield: 20

Ingredients

English Muffins 20 pcs

Smoked salmon 3 lbs

Fresh spinach 2 lbs

Onions, chopped 2 pcs

Mushroom Sauce:

Mushroom sliced 2 lbs

Demi glace

Cream ½ quart

Salt

Pepper

Olive Oil

Cucumber Salad:

Cucumber 4 pcs

Vegetable Oil

White vinegar

Dill, chopped

Sugar

Salt

Pepper

FOR SERVICE:

• cut English muffin in half and grill under salamander
  • sautee the spinach with onions and season with salt and pepper
  • place spinach on to the muffin and cover with smoked salmon slices
  • top the eggs with the mushroom sauce
  • slice cucumber with Chinese mandolin and mix all ingredient together
  • present shown as photograph

Edited by Crew News

I thought of another recipe I'd love to have: one night at dinner, I had salmon with a honey ginger sauce--would love to have the recipe for that sauce!

Got this from the head chef on the Zuidercam last September but you will have to cut down the quantity from 50 to what you plan to serve:

HOLLAND AMERICA

MENU ITEM:

Fish-Salmon with Ginger Apricot Glaze

REVISION DATE:

February 11, 2005

Ingredients Yield: Serves 50

Salmon Fillets, 18.5 Lbs

Apricot Glaze:

Dried Apricots, finely diced 3.3 Lbs

Honey 1.6 oz

Soy Sauce 1 cup

Ginger Root, grated 2 oz

Garlic, minced 2 oz

Cinnamon Powder ½ oz

Cayenne Pepper 1 teaspoon

Saffron Rice 3.8 Lbs

Carrot, cut into batons and cooked 2.2 Lbs

Broccoli Florets 1.2 Lbs

Leeks, finely sliced 1.6 Lbs

Butter

Oregano Sprigs 50 each

FOR SERVICE:

• For the apricot glaze: In a saucepan over a medium heat, mix together the dried apricots, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
  • Top the salmon with the apricot glaze press the apricots firmly onto the salmon.
  • Place the salmon in baking trays pour a little oil over the salmon and bake in then oven until cooked
  • Sauté the leeks in butter
  • Dip the carrot batons and broccoli in boiling water (just to heat through) and sauté in butter
  • Place the hot saffron rice in a timbale and turn out onto the plate.
  • Place the leeks in the center of the plate and place the salmon on top
  • Arrange the carrots and broccoli the same as in the photograph
  • Drizzle a little of the liquid from the apricots on top of the salmon and around the outside
  • Garnish with oregano sprigs

How about the Limoncello Creme? It wasn't available in the cook book onboard or I would of bought it just for that recipe.

Crew News,

Last year, Joanie, posted the Chocolate Purse recipe, which I made.

She said that you would be making the recipe, did you?

Yes, he made it at Thanksgiving with our daughter and granddaughter. I did post about it. The problem was that he made it with a Ouff Oastry and they placed them in muffin pans instead of the Phyllo dough and pulling the corners together like the recipes says. They came out looking more of a muffin shape. Other than that though, OMG They were delicious!!!

The way hubby made them I would call themt a Chocolate Puff Pillow instead of a Chocolate Purse.

They were DELICIOUS!!!

To all who are asking for the Lemoncello Creme recipe, I will try to get it from the chef on Noordam.

Joanie