2 year old and jeans

If your going to throw a pair of jeans on him with a nice shirt, instead, throw a pair of tan pants on him and call it a day, especially if you both look nice for the evening, picture turns out better anyway ;)

I am cruising on IOTS at the end of June , my 2 year will be sailing with us ,will it be a problem if he wears jeans and a nice shirt to dining roooms even on formal nights

Are you dressing your kid in Jeans when you would go to a wedding?

My son wore his first suit at 2 and his first tuxedo when he was 2 1/2.

We brought our twin 3 year old daughters with us on our last cruise. We ate in the dining room with them every night. My wife brought seven sets of matching dresses and accessories so every night they had a different outfit. They were the hit of the dining room. The waiters went out of their way to dote on them. Passengers kept coming to our table to compliment us on them. (even at 3 they are very well behaved when eating out... too bad we can't get them to behave at home!:eek: ) A couple of nights they did get a little tired (even though we had early seating) and the waiters surprised us and brought a couple of extra chairs and tablecloths for blankets and made little beds for them tableside. It was great. The girls were so sad to say goodbye to our waiters on the last night.

I love hearing stuff like that. It is quite sad that kids these days are just not taught from the early stages on how to properly dress for different occasions.

Hey WngnutPhl -

I am popping some more corn, would you like some with Cheddar or Parmesean on it. YUM..

I'll have one of those margaritas also.

To the OP - He is two, dress him in whatever is comfortable for him and will help in making him comfortable for the 2 hours he will be there.

However, I do agree that a nice outfits for pitcture time would be adorable and create a memory for life if you choose to purchase them.

Happy Cruising,

Dave

Hope you've all got the popcorn popped...

I have a 4 year old who is going on her 6th cruise on Sunday. I'm teaching her that we don't make exceptions for her because she's a child. She can wear the right clothes for the occasion - it's not a big deal to dress her correctly. I've always made sure we had something appropriate for her to wear - she is not wearing a t-shirt, even if it does have Cinderella on it, to dinner. My bigger problem right now is getting her to put a headband in her hair so she doesn't look like Kate Hudson's scraggly son.

Don't you have enough clothes? If you're aware enough to ask the question, then aren't you questioning it yourself? Seriously, khakis at Old Navy are under $10. And don't you want to see the pics from that night? And people treat you so much better when you're well-dressed. Unfortunately, your appearance is the first thing that's judged, right or wrong. But the grandmas on your ship will cuckoo for cocoa puffs when they see your adorable little boy dressed in khakis & a polo shirt.

DD was seven on her first cruise (Alaska). She dressed for dinner each evening, and was completely doted on by everyone on the ship. Her baby dolls had matching outfits, and occasionally accompanied us on a walk around the ship (actually that was my anti-loss device)---I figured someone might notice the child/doll match and help me keep track of them, and it worked:) .

I'd consider khakis and a polo. Or perhaps dress shorts (sort of an Eton style). Whatever he wears, have a great trip!

A 14 day med cruise with a 2 year old - hopefully you're dining first seating as second seating on med cruises seems awfully late for a two year old.

I personally don't care what you do for dinner, but keep in mind that for many of the excursions that go to cathedrals (Rome, Florence, etc.), you cannot wear either shorts, jeans or sleeveless shorts, so he's going to need some chino's etc. if you want to do the Vatican or Duomo.

DD was seven on her first cruise (Alaska). She dressed for dinner each evening, and was completely doted on by everyone on the ship. Her baby dolls had matching outfits, and occasionally accompanied us on a walk around the ship (actually that was my anti-loss device)---I figured someone might notice the child/doll match and help me keep track of them, and it worked:) .

I'd consider khakis and a polo. Or perhaps dress shorts (sort of an Eton style). Whatever he wears, have a great trip!

Just had to comment... We are taking DD on her 1st cruise in Nov after she turns 3. TJMaxx has toddler/doll dress sets on clearance from $7-10 for the set! She will wear one for her day at American Girl NYC and I bought a few more for the cruise. Marshalls also had them but not on clearance yet ($10 to 14).

Personally, I want DD dressed up since I want to take family pictures and I think that kids should learn at certain times you need to dress a certain way. The way kids dress today is a huge pet-peeve of mine!

My boys didn't cruise until they were 3, but even at 3, I put them in suits for formal night. If Daddy has a suit on, then they did. I just wanted them to learn from the beginning that this is how you dress, and like another poster said, they weren't learning that there were exceptions just because they were kids. I also like to get a great picture for my Christmas Cards!!! I will also admit that I am a bit of a fanatic that I check their suits every few months just to make sure it fits...you never know when you might need it. My kids know that you wear suits to weddings, funerals, and formal night on cruises.

That being said, I have never noticed other children in the dinning room being dressed inappropriately. I am not going to say kids weren't, I just never noticed, but when traveling with 2 little boys, I am usually wrapped up in worrying about what they are doing that to worry about what other kids are wearing :)!!:rolleyes:

Terry

Our son just turned 3 and he has been on two cruises. I bought him tuxedos on ebay for both. I bought new but people sell used ones pretty cheap. He was quite a hit and the family pictures were great! Buy one and two nights are covered!

As far as the dining room goes. We brought entertainment like we do to go out to dinner at home. But, he preferred that his family taketurns going up and down the elevators with him. Whatever works!

If he behaves I don't care what he wears.

Nothing worse than a screaming 2yo in a nice suit.

:D :D :D I just love CC:)

I just received a sailor suit that I bought for my grandson (eBay) ... he'll be ONE when we cruise in January. It cost me a total of $11.00 (even WITH shipping). I'm guessing it was cheaper than a pair of jeans ..... and he's going to look OH SO CUTE!!

... but keep in mind that for many of the excursions that go to cathedrals (Rome, Florence, etc.), you cannot wear either shorts, jeans or sleeveless shorts...

Blast. All my shorts are sleeveless.

;)

A 14 day med cruise with a 2 year old - hopefully you're dining first seating as second seating on med cruises seems awfully late for a two year old.

I personally don't care what you do for dinner, but keep in mind that for many of the excursions that go to cathedrals (Rome, Florence, etc.), you cannot wear either shorts, jeans or sleeveless shorts, so he's going to need some chino's etc. if you want to do the Vatican or Duomo.

I've been in St. Peter's as well as Santa Maria Dei Fiori many times wearing jeans.

A I personally don't care what you do for dinner, but keep in mind that for many of the excursions that go to cathedrals (Rome, Florence, etc.), you cannot wear either shorts, jeans or sleeveless shorts, so he's going to need some chino's etc. if you want to do the Vatican or Duomo.

A 2 year old would be fine in shorts, even in the Vatican. In the Med, boys generally don't wear long trousers at all at that age. In fact, at UK prep schools, boys still wear shorts until they are 10 years old, no matter what the weather!

Ha! The OP shouldn't worry. People will be so annoyed that there is a 2 year old in the dining room, or even on the ship for that matter, for them to even notice what he is wearing!:D :D

That is really funny.

The sad truth is...that 2 year old is paying as the 2nd or 3rd in the cabin.:eek:

If I was getting dressed up for formal night I would dress my toddler for the photos.

I would rather share a meal with a well behaved child wearing jeans than a screaming toddler in a tuxedo. People who get their panties in a bunch over what a 2 year old wears to dinner worry me.

Have a great cruise!

Archived