Trays at the Buffet

Jolynn2262

I was on HAL's Oosterdam last year, and they did use trays. It was a real hassle. Those trays were piled up everywhere, because no one wanted to eat off them. They would use them to carry the food to the table, then take the food off the trays, then stack the trays in a pile on top of the railing. Sometimes I would even see them stack them on the floor! (Very sanitary) I would rather not have the tray, thank you.

There were trays on the Celebrity Mercury a few weeks ago when we sailed on her. I hate eating off trays, and, as noted above, it's a hassle getting rid of them. I'd rather make a trip back for my dessert than mess with a tray.

Want: It depends on the cruiseline.....PRINCESS DOES NOT USE TRAYS!!!!!

Your DH sounds like mine.....he swears he saw "Movies Under the Stars" on the Diamond.......I say okay! You're right dear!!!!

Then, the next time we're on the Diamond......I just smile, as he goes around looking for the MUTS!!!!!!!

You'll do the same when he's looking for the trays on your next Princess cruise!!!!!! ;)

It was really pretty funny. When I first told him about the thread, he said "That's a stupid question - of course there are trays". My head just about spun around. So back and forth we went and he said "how did I bring the nachos out to the pool area". I told him "on the large plate". I told him that I did the galley tour and with the limited space, there is no way they could handle washing a ton of trays.

He realized I was correct.

Want: It depends on the cruiseline.....PRINCESS DOES NOT USE TRAYS!!!!!

Your DH sounds like mine.....he swears he saw "Movies Under the Stars" on the Diamond.......I say okay! You're right dear!!!!

Then, the next time we're on the Diamond......I just smile, as he goes around looking for the MUTS!!!!!!!

You'll do the same when he's looking for the trays on your next Princess cruise!!!!!! ;)

You're much smarter than me. Sometimes I can't help but correct my hubby. These guys have a selective memory, that's for sure.:D

How about those who want the trays (raising my hand) can have them and those who don't' date=' can just use those platters?[/quote']

Totally agree with this. I do like trays. Again, I'm fussy...no food touching, overlapping. I like liquid-y things in bowls, not sprawling on my plate. And I DON'T like to have to back and forth 3 times just to get my meal set up. Silverware and beverage service (which I understand is coming from Princess) will help. But count me among those who like Celebrity's way of doing things...they serve the food (less mess and noro), they carry the tray (and take it back when the food is on the table), they get the beverage and check back for refills. I guess I like that kind of attention.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the small area that the buffets are set up in.

Unlike the cafeteria style on other lines where you go down the line to choose the items to put on your tray, and don't have to actually go to different sections for several different foods. (definitely cafeteria style).

Can you only imagine with the congestion that happens in the Princess buffets if you were not only trying to get by passengers and go from section to section, but with each passenger holding a large tray? I can see trays flying out of little old ladies/men/kids hands as they are bumped in the confusion, as I type this.

I am sure when Princess set up the buffet they never realized that the 'island' concept was going to be this crazy. But I think it would be even worse if trays were involved as that is not how these buffets are set up at all.

A tray works wonderful when you line up to go down the line, sliding your tray along as you go, as we all did back in school. But taking it from place to place, food island to food island, when the buffets are crowded would be just asking for problems. IMHO!

To me it is. That's why I asked. ;) They don't weigh much and are flat of course. I can always leave it behind.

I wish I would have thought to use the room service tray. Traveling with a kid that was exhausted by day 4, we got used to grabbing lunch in the buffet and going back to our room to eat and rest. I shoved silverware and napkin s in my back pockets but had cramped hands by the time I got 2 plates, a bowl of fruit and NO DRINKS back to my room.:rolleyes:

Yes, you'll get looks, but who cares!!! hahahah :p

Just got off the Oosterdam; HAL's crew is so attentive; they hand everything to you (including serving of the main dishes); I ALWAYS had a crew member who asked to assist me with carrying the tray and "unloading" the plates; there were crew, with beverage carts; you could get your own water/ice tea (but, there is someone to get the ice for you.)

Transitioning from HAL/Celebrity/Regent to Princess/NCL/Carnival is always "trippy" for me.......I have to remember what cruiseline I'm on, as to what to expect from them!

There's always "juggling" of plates/glasses/cups/silverware, etc., when it comes to buffets. It takes some real skill to do it right!!!!!!!

HAL doesn't ask you to pick-up your napkin-wrapped silverware. It's already at each table. It makes for more room on the tray!

Princess should also pre-set the napkin/silverware.....it's not that hard to do!!!! (Just a suggestion!)

I don't like seeing trays laying about or watching folks wandering with one in their hands, wondering what to do with it! But, I noticed that the crew really tried to make sure that they got "scooped" up and returned to the kitchen. Where, hopefully, they get washed again!!!!! Who knows!!!!!

Is "any" aspect about cruising relevant to you other than trays, trays, and trays? I hope you know that on Princess the dining room is open for breakfast and lunch. If you eat in the dining room, you will not have to juggle or jiggle!

There's always "juggling" of plates/glasses/cups/silverware, etc., when it comes to buffets. It takes some real skill to do it right!!!!!!!

HAL doesn't ask you to pick-up your napkin-wrapped silverware. It's already at each table. It makes for more room on the tray!

Princess should also pre-set the napkin/silverware.....it's not that hard to do!!!! (Just a suggestion!)

On our last Princess Cruise April 15, 2008 on the Coral, all tables in the Horizon Court had the silverware and napkins on all tables.

Sultan: DH prefers the buffets....I prefer being served....unless, I want to eat with others or alone....I join in and "juggle" along!

I'm so glad to read that Princess is pre-setting the table with the napkin and silverware, in the buffet area.

Our last Princess cruise, in November, 2007, had the wrapped napkin/silverware next to the platters. And, our next Princess cruise won't be until November, 2008, on the Golden.

I'll see what they do!

Thanks for the reply. May be DH and you should eat once at buffet next time in dining room and so on! Then both can feel "equally" bad! BTW, on our last cruise (ended May 14, 2008) on Princess the silverware was set out on the tables only for dinner in the buffet. At breakfast and lunch, too many just hang out reading or talking! But Princess has increased the staff at the buffet whose role is to simply assist with the platters. /Sultan

Sultan: DH prefers the buffets....I prefer being served....unless, I want to eat with others or alone....I join in and "juggle" along!

I'm so glad to read that Princess is pre-setting the table with the napkin and silverware, in the buffet area.

Our last Princess cruise, in November, 2007, had the wrapped napkin/silverware next to the platters. And, our next Princess cruise won't be until November, 2008, on the Golden.

I'll see what they do!

On our last Princess Cruise April 15, 2008 on the Coral, all tables in the Horizon Court had the silverware and napkins on all tables.

We found this on the Star also, only problem was they couldn't seem to keep up during busy times. Many visits we ended up having to wander around and find our own sliverware while our food became cold. We got smart after that, and found silverware before we went through the buffet, but that kind of defeats the purpose. But it was better than sitting there for 15 minutes waiting for them to delivery it.

We found this on the Star also, only problem was they couldn't seem to keep up during busy times. Many visits we ended up having to wander around and find our own sliverware while our food became cold. We got smart after that, and found silverware before we went through the buffet, but that kind of defeats the purpose. But it was better than sitting there for 15 minutes waiting for them to delivery it.

I must confess the wait staff on the Coral did an excellent job keeping up with cleaning tables, resetting them quickly and serving coffee and drinks. But then again there are more people on the Star.

Hope all is well on the Star in 10 days.:)

That had me laughing out loud!! Add it to thed 'must haves' like a bbq grill:rolleyes:

Jan

I too laughed out loud, but then quickly thought....ohhh that would just weigh too much, and probably add to my 50 lb limit, and then I'd have to pay extra...and all of a sudden, the laugh went to a sigh...:(

I must confess the wait staff on the Coral did an excellent job keeping up with cleaning tables, resetting them quickly and serving coffee and drinks. But then again there are more people on the Star.

Hope all is well on the Star in 10 days.:)

All of our servers in the Horizon Court on the Dawn were excellent and very friendly. We sat pretty much in the same area every morning so we could talk to them!

Archived