Won a "Spa discount" - told I couldn't use it!

chrismch

On either the 1st or 2nd day of Celebrity cruises they have a drawing for spa treatments - or that is the way it is promoted. Usually the "prizes" are discounts of $30 - $50 for the spa treatment of your choice.

On our past cruise I got one of these prizes.When I saw a daily promotion for a treatment that I liked I booked it. When I tried to use the prize to pay for part of my treatment, I was told I could not use it as the treatment had been already discounted and I couldn't get an additional discount. I had a copy of the flyer from the daily news and nowhere on the flyer (although there was more than enough open space) did it say that this treatment had been already discounted.

They did have a daily promotion on another day that showed the daily specials as discounted rate saying "save XX $$." When I asked 2 different people at the spa about it they said it was their policy all daily promotions - even though it is not promoted as a discount rate - are considered discounts and they don't allow use of the prize.

I wrote a letter on a form from the front desk explaining how it seemed to be a bit of a "bait & switch." My response from the front desk the next day was that it had been sent to the proper department and they would follow up with me. I never had any follow up. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

On either the 1st or 2nd day of Celebrity cruises they have a drawing for spa treatments - or that is the way it is promoted. Usually the "prizes" are discounts of $30 - $50 for the spa treatment of your choice.

On our past cruise I got one of these prizes.When I saw a daily promotion for a treatment that I liked I booked it. When I tried to use the prize to pay for part of my treatment, I was told I could not use it as the treatment had been already discounted and I couldn't get an additional discount. I had a copy of the flyer from the daily news and nowhere on the flyer (although there was more than enough open space) did it say that this treatment had been already discounted.

They did have a daily promotion on another day that showed the daily specials as discounted rate saying "save XX $$." When I asked 2 different people at the spa about it they said it was their policy all daily promotions - even though it is not promoted as a discount rate - are considered discounts and they don't allow use of the prize.

I wrote a letter on a form from the front desk explaining how it seemed to be a bit of a "bait & switch." My response from the front desk the next day was that it had been sent to the proper department and they would follow up with me. I never had any follow up. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

No, but people have posted of issues with the spa (same company) on different lines and not just Celebrity.

Did you try to use it after you already had the treatment or before? The "discount prize" should have clearly stated it could only be used on full price treatments.

We have never been able to use those certificates on 'daily specials' we also were a bit peeved when it happened to us.

Also you are not / were not able to use Captains club coupons on 'daily specials' in the past, they were valid for the regular priced treaments only.

The spa is a seperate entity from X, they are allowed to make their own rules and sometimes they conflict with the information we recieve from X.

Sorry you had to find out first hand.

Dave:eek:

I wonder if the Spa owners read Cruise Critic - somehow I doubt it. Other than on the RCI Legend of the Seas last year, where I had fabulous treatments, I have never had great experiences in the spas on board any ship.

I have always felt that they short-changed me, didn't give me the full time of my facial, massage or whatever and viewed me as an inconvenience to their day until I am dressed and ready to go when they launch into their sales patter. Unfortunately they are not sales trained and I just wish they were better at providing the service they are trained for.

Unfortunately I still keep trying them and got lucky last year - the therapist(Lisa) was terrific. Shame they are not all like her.

One of the disappointments about reading my new Solstice Brochure is that they are continuing with Elemis as the spa operator.. esp. for a ship that is touting it's Aquspa & spa environment...Not my favorite & they are always trying to get more bucks rather than being accomodating..I always have to re-confirm the coupon will be accepted...otherwise I won't book it..

Have done many services with them but can't always relax fearing they will be selling something or trying to do me out of coupons or credits--that's just the impression they give-- By contrast the folks of Canyon ranch on QM2 were just the best & nicest & so service oriented--more like land based ventures...

I guess it varies ship to ship & mgr to mgr but the overall culture is sell sell seel--products, more services ..the attendants/therapists are not to blame it is what they must do to get their commissions..!

Thanks for the replies. The gift certificate did say it couldn't be combined with any other discount which is why I didn't try to use my captain's club coupon. So it seems that neither would have been acceptable for a discount. The treatment that I had done was a lime & ginger exfollient which gave me a rash on several parts of my body. So while it was a cleansing treatment, it turned out to be a bad treatment for my skin. However, I will try other body exfollients in the future.

I do wish that they would look for another spa vendor other than Steiner. On my last cruise I won a tooth whitening treatment at the raffle on the first day of the cruise. At the end of my treatment I got the usual sales pitch. When I informed the person that I was not interested in buying any products she was bold enough to tell me that I "had" to buy them. I again informed her that I would not be buying any products and she had the audacity to say, "Then you have not only wasted your time, you have wasted my time as well." She also went on to say how bad my teeth would look without using the products she wanted to sell me.

Even though I had won the treatment in a raffle, I still had planned on leaving a tip, but I certainly did not after her comments. Had I actually paid for the treatment I would have asked to have spoken to a supervisor about her attitude, but since it was a free treatment I just let it go. It certainly will make me reluctant to use a spa operated by Steiner on future cruises; it just seems like the spa is high prices, mediocre quality of treatment, and sometimes bad attitudes by the treaters. Anybody sailing on the Century may want to avoid Camille doing any of your treatments unless you are planning on purchasing products or enjoy being demeaned.

Usually anything that has a "daily promotion" on is, means it's discounted.

My very best advice would be to let it go. We were driven batty on HAL when I pre-purchased a massage on their Gifts area of the HAL web-site. When I got to the spa, they said my voucher wouldn't cover the massage and I would have to pay 30% more. They referred me to Guest services, who referred me to the spa manager. I argued with the manager that I had bought a massage, not a voucher. They said it wasn't their problem, I should contact HAL. I gave up. When I got home, I complained to HAL and they said the spa is run by Steiner and I should complain to them. I complained to Steiner and they said the gifts department is run by HAL and I should complain to them. It was all very aggravating and even after all that, HAL was still selling the same gift for the same price.

Even though I had won the treatment in a raffle, I still had planned on leaving a tip, but I certainly did not after her comments. Had I actually paid for the treatment I would have asked to have spoken to a supervisor about her attitude, but since it was a free treatment I just let it go. It certainly will make me reluctant to use a spa operated by Steiner on future cruises; it just seems like the spa is high prices, mediocre quality of treatment, and sometimes bad attitudes by the treaters. Anybody sailing on the Century may want to avoid Camille doing any of your treatments unless you are planning on purchasing products or enjoy being demeaned.

OMG. I would have written a letter to both the CEO of Celebrity and to Steiner. If I was the employer, well, Camille would be out of a job!

My very best advice would be to let it go. We were driven batty on HAL when I pre-purchased a massage on their Gifts area of the HAL web-site. When I got to the spa, they said my voucher wouldn't cover the massage and I would have to pay 30% more. They referred me to Guest services, who referred me to the spa manager. I argued with the manager that I had bought a massage, not a voucher. They said it wasn't their problem, I should contact HAL. I gave up. When I got home, I complained to HAL and they said the spa is run by Steiner and I should complain to them. I complained to Steiner and they said the gifts department is run by HAL and I should complain to them. It was all very aggravating and even after all that, HAL was still selling the same gift for the same price.

well there goes the idea of pre-paying for spa treatments for the Mrs

........I had a copy of the flyer from the daily news and nowhere on the flyer (although there was more than enough open space) did it say that this treatment had been already discounted.

So... you didn't mention it, but..........did you have a "discount" coupon or equivalent you got from the drawing...... and what did that say. ???

The last cruise we were on they advertised free facials in the Martini Bar at 2:00. Oh Wow! I want one!!! So a friend and I went to the Martini Bar at 2:00, we listened to their speil about all the products they have to offer. After about an hour I figured they would surely start the facials! Wrong!! They never intended to do free facials at all, all they did was bore us to tears.

We still laugh about it to this day! When we went back to all our friends they kept asking how our facial was and all we could do is laugh!

Archived