American - $15 Charge for FIRST Bag

bellebaby

Ugh this is nuts. I don't fly much but this just proves the point we need to be looking for other energy sources other than oil. Eventually there will be none and then what will we do? Soon no one will be able to afford these rising prices for oil in their daily lives.

doom doom doom

No this means we need to increase the supply of oil. I don't think we are going to be able to convert AA's planes to wind power. :D

This is the USA, there is nothing we can't overcome, except the limits we place on ourselves. Blame your politicians who cave into every econuts demands, and say you can't do this, you shall do that, and you must never do that. Wake-up.

jc

This doesn't surprise me....but it saddens me. I realize these companies have to do what is necessary to stay in business and make a profit, but for anyone who has to travel by air to cruise it is going to change how often I cruise dramatically. I know many posters are saying nothing that happens will change their plans to cruise.......but lets see what all happens in the next few months.

American airlines just announced it will start charging for the first checked bag, due to fuel costs. .....on Yahoo.com.

This is only the beginning with oil breaking 130 and now people predicting 150.

By EOY if this holds we'll be looking at 5 dollar a gallon gas, 30% increase minimum in air fares. That is simple economics.

As much as people don't like it American and other airlines aren't in the transportation business to lose money...

A whole host of companies will need to revisit their business strategy inlight of this new development :eek:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amr-plans-baggage-fees-service/story.aspx?guid=%7B32C92764%2DB0A3%2D418B%2DAEF4%2DECE6EA739DE2%7D

No I don't like it but here's the part I don't get. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Why don't they just raise the fare and be done with it? It's no longer feasible for most people to travel with only a carry-on. For instance, where do you put your liquids?? IMO raising the fares still gives them the income they require. Fair in my mind after all they are in business to make a profit. However they would have the added bonus of not ticking off their customers with all the nickel and diming. You're going to pay somewhere along the line. Why not make it up front?

I don't get it? :confused:

2P.P1

Sure glad I booked before all these changes and printed off the info about not having to pay extra if booked before that date. OUCH!

This is going to have a big impact on passengers with carry ons, I can see it now. When those try to pack an oversized or overweight bag onboard the plane and are told they will have to check it and pay. The fight will be on...................OH MY!

Here is the link to the full story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080521/ap_on_bi_ge/american_airlines_reductions

When Delta started charging for the second bag, it didn't matter when you booked. I was fortunate that my last return flight was on the day (May 4) before they put their policy into effect.

This really does suck and borders on outrageous. It should be a given that the cost of your ticket on an airllines will get you and a reasonable amount of belongings to your destination. That's why planes come built with holds/cargo compartments. I can accept charging for 2nd bag. I can accept charging for any sort of food. Charge for a pillow, charge for a blanket. Charge for a soda if they like. Given that the cost of your ticket provides some coverage for lost or stollen baggage, seems to me that some baggage has to be included in the basic flight costs. So if they are now charging for first bag, seems to me it should no longer be subject to liability limits on the back of your ticket $1250.

The article said AMR stock has taken a tumble. I should hope so and good for Delta for not playing the lemming.

Actually Timmys_mom if you booked before a certain date the second bag if free also. We are booked with them for a flight in November and we booked a couple of months ago before they were charging for a second bag so we can check 2 bags at no charge.

Yep if you booked prior to May 12th the second bag is still free.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just a way to stick it to everyone. Instead of just raising ticket prices, they charge for luggage. That way they can charge everyone who has already purchased a ticket as well. - SF

Good grief, that is the most IDIOTIC baggage policy imaginable. You've already got people hauling on bags that stretch the definition of "carry-on". Get ready for real bin wars as soon as this goes into effect.

American has been my carrier of choice for year and I have gold Aadvantage status. But I'm beginning to wonder what mental institution recently housed their management.

As gold you shouldnt have to pay this. I havent confirmed this but will be as it applies to me and my family as well.

Also it wont be too bad if gate agents start actually enforcing the boarding process by groups.

When Delta started charging for the second bag, it didn't matter when you booked. I was fortunate that my last return flight was on the day (May 4) before they put their policy into effect.

American had an announcement on their webpage (the one I printed off) that stated that anyone holding tickets booked before the change was still allowed the two checked bags at no charge. This is one reason I booked early and paid a premium for our flights, I knew the announcement was going to be made within a few weeks so even the premium price saved me money in the long run.

This really does suck and borders on outrageous. It should be a given that the cost of your ticket on an airllines will get you and a reasonable amount of belongings to your destination. That's why planes come built with holds/cargo compartments. I can accept charging for 2nd bag. I can accept charging for any sort of food. Charge for a pillow, charge for a blanket. Charge for a soda if they like. Given that the cost of your ticket provides some coverage for lost or stollen baggage, seems to me that some baggage has to be included in the basic flight costs. So if they are now charging for first bag, seems to me it should no longer be subject to liability limits on the back of your ticket $1250.

The article said AMR stock has taken a tumble. I should hope so and good for Delta for not playing the lemming.

For a lot of airlines, their most loyal customers rarely if ever check a bag. Business travelers are often on trips of 2-3 days and have learned to pack it all in a carryon. These are the only customers they care about - and most will waive excess baggage fees for them anyway.

And for the space they save in their cargo hold not having passenger luggage, they can sell that space for freight for additional revenue.

Is it right? No. But I can totally understand why they are doing it. I fly almost every week and I don't know anyone who enjoys flying anymore.

Well just to play the other side in this for minute, how many people here are going to pick AA (i would btw. being completely honest) if they were $15 higher in ticket fares than the other carriers?

The "i only buy the cheapest ticket" public is the cause of these NaD fees from the companies. RCI, Airlines, whomever.

If you read the exceptions, the $15 fee only applies if you purchase your ticket after June 15th. I bought my ticket a couple months ago for a flight in November, so I won't have to pay the fee. And you can bet that I will not be checking a second bag!

That's good to know. I just bought a ticket a couple days ago on American for July. Glad I'll escape the $15 charge for now. Better get my flight booked for the December cruise before June 15th. I think it's ridiculous that they are now going to charging for the first checked bag. Getting almost impossible to travel nowadays.

With this new charge - the overhead luggage will be out of control and worse than it is now, with people trying to avoid the charge and packing the overhead bins.

You will really have to pay attention when they say 'be carefull when opening the overhead bins' because the luggage in there will probably be very large and heavy and cause major damage to passengers when it lands on your head....seems like more of a liability for the airlines.:(

How can they expect you to take a trip to anywhere without any luggage:confused: . Doesn't seem right - I can see the charge for the 2nd bag, but not the first....

Yep if you booked prior to May 12th the second bag is still free.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to check my purchase date. :D

ETA: The last ticket purchased in our group was on May 4th, so we all get to check free bags!! Woo hoo!

No I don't like it but here's the part I don't get. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Why don't they just raise the fare and be done with it? ......(edited to reply)

2P.P1

Its quite simple. Over the past many years the american traveling public has decided they buy airline tickets based solely on cost. So if an airline raises prices, people dont buy from them anymore because they have no brand loyalty. Why do you think they give away so much to those with status on the airlines? Including I might add the baggage fees. I have not yet confirmed this one is waived but the $25 for the second bag for sure is.

When the public demands the lowest price, they must find other ways to look for revenue. And although some state here they'll always remember the baggage fees before buying, most wont. But they'll still buy the ticket because it appears cheapest.

Why don't they just raise the fare and be done with it? It's no longer feasible for most people to travel with only a carry-on. For instance, where do you put your liquids?? IMO raising the fares still gives them the income they require. Fair in my mind after all they are in business to make a profit. However they would have the added bonus of not ticking off their customers with all the nickel and diming. You're going to pay somewhere along the line. Why not make it up front?

I don't get it? :confused:

2P.P1

They don't increase the overall price because that would apply to everyone. These "add-on" extra charges are usually exempt for their frequent travelers. I travel a great deal and don't get dinged for many of these "extras". As for liquids, I can do a long weekend in carry-on and the liquids I need in my one quart bag allowance for liquids.

Just wondering this, also. Will they give me back the money when they lose my bag? Or, when it is delayed by two days? My luggage was lost after a direct flight from the last cruise. How do they lose luggage from a flight that does not stop? I know, I know the answer, just venting...

Unless other carriers follow suit, this charge probably won't hold.

It must be tough for transportation companies in todays out-of-control oil market. Trying to find that fine line between profit and bankruptcy.

However, the problems won't be overcome by taking it out on the passengers. Years of waste, multi-million dollar CEO bonuses, too many flights from too many airports (mostly done to put another airline out of the running), greed, overspending on frequent flyer programs and other "perks"..... the list is unending.

We passengers are a pretty savvy bunch. We know how to shop for bargains. Corporate flyers who really have NO choice to fly or not- are getting smarter. Some companies are buying "time share" seats on private jets to transport their frequent flyers.

It's true that this current oil mess is simply awful...and uncontrolled.. with no incentive or action from those in that business to lower costs. Oil companies are making obscene profits and those from whom we buy our crude are in no mood to change a thing. There is no leadership on a National level to do what is necessary for us. Jobs being lost, homes being lost - a new market of "stealing gas" has popped up. Average folks having a hard time financially due to budget strains at the gas pump.

I was in the travel industry from 1974 until 2005...saw the whole "deregulation" fiasco run it's course. From the day Carter finally signed the bill giving the airlines free reign, they have been committing suicide...slowly but surely. Many have already died......many more are on the way. The arrogance and "me-first" attitude of most carriers have led to their slow demise.

Unless the other carriers fall in line, passengers will avoid American like the plague. You wouldn't pay it - nor would I - if it can be avoided. Another notch in their "gun" for foolishness......

It's one thing for cruise companies to add a fuel surcharge to help offset their higher expenses.. It's quite another to gouge passengers by putting a fee on something that is simply a MUST for them. Foolish policy......

Archived