General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

Er - because most of the people on it are from .. the UK! :eek: and surprisingly like things in English and the bacon back and not deep fried streaky.

Er - did you read the quote in the post?

Right. 14 days of Asian immersion is not what I bargained for. I have cruised to Asia before and enjoyed getting back on my Western style (Regent Mariner) ship at the end of the day. If I want to be "immersed" I would take a land trip. At least the British one will still be conducted in English. I am assuming from the info we were given that English speaking shore excursions may be a problem as well.

here's what the big problem is - when i booked my cruise, as probably the original poster, we signed up thinking that we would be on an AMERICAN-style ship. In fact, when i booked the cruise, i specifically asked if my cruise out of england would be just like getting onto a ship in miami, los angeles or anywhere else in the states. RCCL told me "yes."

Yes you go dow a walkway on to the ship just like in miami lol

Open your eyes into different cultures - just go, you'll come home having had one of your best cruises ever !!

jj.....

I can understand why you would want to cancel. This isn't the cruise that you had booked. I am also a very picky eater and it would be very difficult for me to find food I would want to eat for 14 days if all of the special eateries would be closed. Hopefully you will be able to find something that will suit your travel tastes better.

Good luck to you!

open my eyes to different cultures? let's not even go there. my family is a heinz 57 so to speak, of different cultures, with me being a total "united nations."

i agree with the statement of "why in the world would rccl call me and all of their other pax to let us know?" for one reason and one reason only: because the ship will be drastically different.

end of discussion.

Been reading on another board, someone was told their EN cruise out of Panama will be all Spanish.....immersion,I suppose?? He's all mad about it..

Anyway,he wants compensation:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Immersion cruises are not fun at all. I did one out of San Juan not fully realizing what the difference would be.

RCCL did not explain that 98% of the passengers were Puerto Rican and would be speaking Spanish. That the music on deck would be Spanish, that the food on-board would be Spanish, that the other guests at your table would only speak Spanish, that the announcements would be in Spanish first, then follow in English. Neither my friend nor I spoke Spanish nor understand Spanish, nor wanted to eat Spanish food at all meals.

If you do not speak the foreign language, nor have an inclination to be immersed in that culture, definitely cancel. They are definitely a themed type cruise.

As stated on the other "immersion" thread, we are booked on a 13 night TA out of Southampton. I am checking witht he Roll Call to see what they know and also calling RCL. I really don't think we want to be involved in an "immersion" cruise - we just want a "normal" cruise! This would have been our dream vacation/cruise and I hate to think that we may cancel because of this.

Darn the luck:(

I've seen a number threads about immersion cruises - so i thought it would be a good idea if us Brits could hep our friends across the pond fit in when they arrive here lol lol

Bacon buddy - bacon in between 2 slices of bread

Cuppa - a cup of tea

A pint - draught beer

fried egg - sunnyside up

Bowl of champ - mashed potatoes with scallions

Tripe - boiled stomach lining

jj......

Part of the reason I cancelled our cruise this year on the Med was because of the food choices on the Navigator last year while on the Med.

If I wanted UK food I would have stayed at home...we love the food normally served on RCCL ships...i.e. our favourite food while cruising is what we call "ships bacon"...that delicious streaky bacon served in the WJ..oh along with fried egg(sunny side medium) pancakes,waffles and blueberry sauce :D :D

So for us in future we will cruise the Caribbean :D

I suppose I can understand the disappointment or sense of trepidation. If you had your heart set on a certain type of cruise to have this happen at the last minute could be aggravating.

Personally, I'd be thrilled to have received the call about this change. So much of the travel I do for business reasons there's always the same old hotel chains, the same old chain restaurants, the same old everything. Everything is nice and perfect and... expected.

When I vacation, I want something a little different. As much as I love cruising, there are times when I feel like I'm experiencing the world from the other side of museum glass, the way we insulate ourselves on the ship and in the tour buses. Having something just a little different for a couple of weeks, some new experiences would be fun. I can be a little choosy about my food, too, but for me vacation is the time for new things and perhaps I'll find some new treat to add to my gastronomic repertoire.

I feel sorry for the people who had a vacation they planned for months or years ruined (at least cast into uncertainty), though.

1. Are all cruises "immersion" ones or just select sailings?

2. There aren't any dining options for non-locals? Does that mean Johnny Rockets goes Chinese?

3. What is different about England than the US/Canada that could be put into an immersion cruise?

I personally think it's kind of cool as long as its select sailings. Some people really want to immersed in another culture and not the americanized version of travel in every country. That said, I understand why some would not like it or choose it.

Getting switched to an "immersion cruise" that would imply everything being in a language that you don't speak would probably cause me to cancel.

Getting switched to a British immersion cruise wouldn't bother me. The culture, language and cuisine are similar enough that it wouldn't present a hardship.

I know how you feel, how often have I been asked by the colonial cousins why I'm not wearing my lederhose, with a bratwurst in one hand and a stein in the other.:rolleyes:

Also they do drive on your side of the road - at least on St. Thomas USVI.

Ron

Hee Hee! I live in New Braunfels Texas which is very German Oriented. The local newspaper here was printed in German until 1960. We have a sausage festival every year called Wurstfest. There is some sister city in Germany to New Braunfels. We also have a water park called Schlitterbahn. I would love to visit Germany.

Getting switched to an "immersion cruise" that would imply everything being in a language that you don't speak would probably cause me to cancel.

Getting switched to a British immersion cruise wouldn't bother me. The culture, language and cuisine are similar enough that it wouldn't present a hardship.

Agreed - If I was booked on the Asian one I would definatley cancel, for all the music/entertainment/shows/announcements/menus etc all to be in a foreign language would be enough to hamper my cruise experience.

Although Im none to thrilled about the British immersion, it should be OK, at least all the menus will be written in English and all the music/shows/entertainment etc will be in English, the food will be fine, I really cant see RCCL closing down Sorrentos, Johnny Rockets or Portofinos! :eek:

I've seen a number threads about immersion cruises - so i thought it would be a good idea if us Brits could hep our friends across the pond fit in when they arrive here lol lol

Cuppa - a cup of tea

A pint - draught beer

fried egg - sunnyside up

jj......

EH?:eek:

BILL

3. There WILL BE American food choices on board, but they will be limited.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that there is something called "American food" which is somehow different to British food. Believe it or not, we eat pretty much the same stuff as you (although in smaller quantities). And most of that originates from somewhere else in the world - most "American food" is imported and adapted from a foreign culture.

Pretty much everything we ate on a cruise out of Miami could be found in a UK hotel. (Maybe with the exception of biscuits and gravy and grits for breakfast but they are just as peculiar any any traditional British dish!)

Cancelling a 14 day vacation because we don't deep fry the bacon? Better stay at home and enjoy McDonalds and Taco Bell.

Cuppa - a cup of tea

A pint - draught beer

fried egg - sunnyside up

jj...

Shouldn't that be a Bacon Buttie??

Bangers and Mash, - Sauasge and Mashed Potato

Toad in the hole - Sausage in Yorkshire Pudding

Yorkshire Pudding - Baked Batter Pudding

Ploughmans Lunch - Cheese, Bread, Branston Pickle and Pickled onion

Chips - French Fries

Shame on you, fellow Brits, you've forgotten:

Tripe and onions

Cow heels

Pig's trotters

Brawn

Head cheese (don't ask!)

Pressed tongue

Stargazy pie

Pigeon pie

Jellied eels

Steak and kidney pudding

Liver and onions

Pease pudding

Stuffed heart

Black pudding

Rissoles

Bubble and squeak

Dripping butty

Scouse

Blind scouse

Thank goodness I'm not on that voyage!

I'm asking....please translate.

Biscuit / Bickie.........Cookie

Fairy Cake ................Cup Cake

Courgette............. Zucchini

Sweets................ Candy

Sausage / Banger............... Sausage

Crisps................ Potato Chips

Chips............... French Fries

Starter .................... Appetizer

Puddings/Afters /Dessert/Sweets.............. Dessert

Jacket Potato / Baked Potato.............. Baked Potato

Jam............... Jelly

Jelly................ Jello

Aubergine.................... Eggplant

Sandwich / Butty / Sarny........... Sandwich

Ice lolly .................. Popsicle

Bill (at restaurant) ................. check

Grill................. Broil

Food / Grub / Nosh ................ Food

Rasher ................... A slice of bacon

Eggy bread (fried) ................. French Toast

Runner beans ..................... Green beans

Soldiers .................. Finger sized slices of toast.

(We dip soldiers in our soft boiled eggs)

Take-away..................... Take out

Scotch Pancakes................ Flapjacks

And if someone asks you if you want a joint for dinner, please don't try and have them arrested, it's a piece of beef ;)

Archived