Price Drops After Final Payment

Lovely_Star

Is it true that Carnival is the only cruise line that does not give credit for price drops, which occur after final payment has been made? A TA told me this information, but I wanted to confirm it with the CC experts first.

Carnival does give OBC after final payment is made if the price drops and they adjust your price if it's before final payment.

They do discourage their TA partners from giving price drops;

CLICK HERE for the full PDF of Carnival's TA policy

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES Posted May 14, 2008

TRAVEL AGENCY POLICY page 3 of 8

C. Retro Dilution.

Carnival prohibits the “Retro Dilution” of its products. For purposes of this Policy, Retro Dilution occurs in situations

where Carnival lowers prices on a sailing after Travel Agency has booked a client at a higher price, and thereafter (1)

Travel Agency cancels the existing booking and then books the client again at the lower rate or (2) modifies an existing

booking in any manner and through any channel which results in an already-booked price being lowered other than, in

either case, by contacting a member of the Carnival Reservations staff and the Carnival staff member agreeing to (x)

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES Posted May 14, 2008

TRAVEL AGENCY POLICY page 4 of 8

reduce the price on an existing booking or (y) create a new booking at the lower rate. If Travel Agency commits or

permits any act of Retro Dilution, Carnival may, in its sole discretion, take one or both of the following actions: (i) deduct

the amount(s) of Retro Dilution from any current or future commissions due such Travel Agency under the underlying

Travel Agency Agreement and (ii) terminate the underlying Travel Agency Agreement.

We paid for 8A and during a promotion/sale got upgraded to 8D for the same price.

Do we need to see the 8D price become better or the 8A price to get a credit?

We paid for 8A and during a promotion/sale got upgraded to 8D for the same price.

Do we need to see the 8D price become better or the 8A price to get a credit?

Yep, the 8D price now needs to be lower, unless you want to give up your upgrade.

Also take into consideration if you are getting fuel surcharge back/obc or if any 3rd or 4th passenger is excluded from the surcharge. Another thing is to find out what the port charges/taxes are as they'll go up and down slightly also. I ran into this problem with my cruise. Price went down called for new pricing and when all was said and done I had LESS OBC than before calling. Thankfully the nice manager returned it to the way it was. She also stated that once your cruise was within "penalty" (within 60 days) you couldn't call for new pricing more than once. That came directly from carnival.

..........She also stated that once your cruise was within "penalty" (within 60 days) you couldn't call for new pricing more than once. That came directly from carnival.

Not disputing what she said, but we've gotten as many as five price drops on one cruise with the last three being within the 'penalty' phase and we received OBC for those.

I am cruising with Carnival for the first time and my final payment was due last week. I made final payment and the following day there was a significant price drop. Carnival gave us over $300 for OBC. You might correct your Travel Agent who works for you. Tim

She also stated that once your cruise was within "penalty" (within 60 days) you couldn't call for new pricing more than once. That came directly from carnival.

We called and got credit last week and got more credit today. I guess it's all in who you talk to. Everyone knows you can call and get 10 different answers to the same question. Never hurts to try, the worst they can say is no.

I received two price drops within the last 2 weeks for our cruise in October. Our PVP is great, I check the price and email him and he takes care of the rest. I found him a few years ago just by calling Carnival. I am hoping the price continues to go down and can use the extra money to pay for accomodations in Miami, lol.

I'm just wondering if someone can give me a proper number for Carnival. Not their 1888 number. I'm from Australia and see that my cabins getting a free upgrade to Lido deck. My TA here said because I paid in full can't get it. I want to ring carnival direct but can't fine a number on their site.

Thanks

I'm just wondering if someone can give me a proper number for Carnival. Not their 1888 number. I'm from Australia and see that my cabins getting a free upgrade to Lido deck. My TA here said because I paid in full can't get it. I want to ring carnival direct but can't fine a number on their site.

Thanks

When you book with a TA, Carnival can not talk to you. The TA is their customer not you.

hmmmm...I don't disagree about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and vice versa. Here's what another manager told me last night when I called about a price drop.... "Since you are booked with a room number, you have to go to a gty to get the price reduction since there are no longer any rooms available in your category"

Since I don't wish to give up our middle of the ship room I told her nevermind and hung up the phone kinda mad and debating to call back and ask a different person the same thing. Might try that today but curious if anyone else has ever encountered this. We sail in 8 days and the ship's almost full so I think that might have something to do with them trying to avoid giving OBC. Any thoughts?

Yep, the 8D price now needs to be lower, unless you want to give up your upgrade.

That's what I figured. I doubt it will, but we'll keep an eye on it to be sure. Thanks.

That's what I figured. I doubt it will, but we'll keep an eye on it to be sure. Thanks.

We cruised last cruise with a couple of ladies who told me on the shuttle over to the cruise that they had a price drop on the original inside guarantee they booked "so they went back into the lotter pool". I said you mean guarantee, they said yes, they booked guarantee, I laughed at the lottery pool. But they got a better cabin in the lottery the second time around, got upgraded to OV.

So, sometimes its ok to give back the upgrade and take your chances again.

Well I called back and spoke with another person. Had to "give up" our room # due to removing 4th pax and going to 3 so was possible to lose room anyways. Was told that it was highly likely that we'd get the same room assigned to us that we already had so that's good. On top of that we got a 450-750 OBC coming (depends on if they'll be refunding or obc the money paid for pax 4). Guess I'm in that "lottery pool" now so I better cross my fingers and hope for a good upgrade lol.

Well I called back and spoke with another person. Had to "give up" our room # due to removing 4th pax and going to 3 so was possible to lose room anyways. Was told that it was highly likely that we'd get the same room assigned to us that we already had so that's good. On top of that we got a 450-750 OBC coming (depends on if they'll be refunding or obc the money paid for pax 4). Guess I'm in that "lottery pool" now so I better cross my fingers and hope for a good upgrade lol.

Oh, I see your first post, that your category was sold out. When the category is sold out, there is no price to compare to from what you originally paid.

So, I see you decided to go back into the guarantee pool. As far as the 4th person who cancelled this close to the cruise, they should get back 50% I believe of what they paid, not a OBC for everyone else to spend. (Im assuming you cancelled more than 7 days out, since your post yesterday said you were sailing in 8 days). They will be due a partial refund, depending on when they cancelled.

Is it true that Carnival is the only cruise line that does not give credit for price drops, which occur after final payment has been made? A TA told me this information, but I wanted to confirm it with the CC experts first.

Your TA is simply wrong. Carnival is one of the few lines that gives credit for price drops after final payment. Most of the others do not or if they do are very reluctant.

Archived