Box of wine on Princess

wlfarm

Will I be able to carry a box of wine at embarkation.

I beleive the contract says you can carry wine and champagne for consumption in cabin, but doesn't limit quantity.

Thanks.

We have carried on both 5 and 3 litre boxes for several cruises now with no problem.

Ron

Will I be able to carry a box of wine at embarkation.

I beleive the contract says you can carry wine and champagne for consumption in cabin, but doesn't limit quantity.

Would you believe this? This is what was bought in Sydney prior to our recent Sydney-LA cruise. No, none of this was mine. And yes, all of it was carried onboard.

ShoppingBasketofWine.jpg.c9f804f361fdf8b8a7a3bbd41f331768.jpg

Anyone ever checked wine bottles or soda in their luggage? Any problem with it busting in the luggage compartment and ruining your clothes? Obviously it would be inside sealed bags, but not sure of the pressure issue...

We hope to be able to buy it in FLL before we board the ship - but just in case we can't, this would be the 2nd choice...thanks.

The only time we had wine in checked bags, we checked one bottle in each of 2 bags. One of the bottles did break. It didn't leak out because it was soaked up by our clothes. This was before I knew that you can carry wine on board.

On our recent HAL cruise I put a box of wine, a 12 pack of soda and 3 bottles of wine in a soft sided rolling cooler and then put this in a rolling duffle with cloths and shoes and checked the bag. Nothing broke. I think it had something to do with the bag being so heavy no one could pick it up let alone throw it.:D

Anyone ever checked wine bottles or soda in their luggage? Any problem with it busting in the luggage compartment and ruining your clothes? Obviously it would be inside sealed bags, but not sure of the pressure issue...

We hope to be able to buy it in FLL before we board the ship - but just in case we can't, this would be the 2nd choice...thanks.

We arrived in San Diego a day a head of time and bought the wine. About six bottles. Carried two on board the ship and put the rest in luggage, wrapped snugly. Arrived in cabin with no problem.

We've purchased wine in Ft. Lauderdale at Total Wine, which is very convenient to the port, and brought it aboard with us. Most recently, we had 2 bottles each in our carry on luggage, and 4 additional bottles wrapped in bubble wrap and then in a winter coat (heading to Vancouver for the end of the cruise), and they made it through the cruise line baggage handling without any trouble. I would never trust the airline baggage handling.....they regularly destroy our luggage, hence the small roll of duct tape in our carry-on.

We boarded the Sapphire in LA May 2007 with an entrie rolling carryon filled with wine (probably 12 bottles) and beer (we were onboard for 3 weeks), with no problem.

That being said, sometimes we have seen a bottle limit on wine enforced - depends upon the port. And some ports are set up to strictly confiscate hard liquor anyone attempts to carry on.

We've also placed an order with Total Wine and picked it up on the way to the ship. Our last cruise we had one case that we picked up and carried on board with absolutely no problem (of course, we started with seven sea days before we had a port to pick up any local wines at). We just placed the box on the x-ray machine and picked it up on the other side - then carried it with us on board to our cabin. I like red wine, so I don't like to chance breakage in our checked baggage.

We packed two boxes of wine in our packed luggage...no problem, no breakage.

while it appears that Princess is allowing everyone to carry on wine with no limit, other cruise lines ARE stopping it....I think it's a better idea not to flaunt the wine by hiding it in my luggage. I don't want this policy to change.....

We took soda once and it was fine going, but we brought the leftovers home and they burst in our carry-on and ruined the t-shirts we had bought for others at home. It was good that the t-shirts were in the carry-on, however, because they soaked up every bit of the liquid. We didn't even know there was a problem until we got home and unzipped it. No liquid, just 8 wet, brown stained t-shirts.

Just loved the pic of the supermarket trolley being loaded onto a Princess ship in Sydney..would have to be Aussie bravado or American courage?

Crikey and I worry about a couple of bottles for the cabin fridge.

Cheers..Les:cool:

Just loved the pic of the supermarket trolley being loaded onto a Princess ship in Sydney..would have to be Aussie bravado or American courage?
Actually, that photo was taken right after the wine was bought. We were waiting for our (private) excursion van to come and pick us up. On embarkation morning, the people who bought the wine walked down to the dock (only a 5 minute walk away), snagged a luggage cart and brought it back to the hotel. They then loaded the cart with everything and pushed the cart back to the dock and checked in. I saw several people doing this. :)

On our most recent cruise out of FLL we went to Target and picked up a duffle bag ($13.00), went to the Grocery store near the port and filled the duffle bag with two boxes of wine, some bottles of water and some plastic bottles of soda. We took our extra luggage tag and put it on the duffle bag, dropped the duffle with our luggage and a hour later everything was sitting outside our cabin door.

Jerry

On our most recent cruise out of FLL we went to Target and picked up a duffle bag ($13.00), went to the Grocery store near the port and filled the duffle bag with two boxes of wine, some bottles of water and some plastic bottles of soda. We took our extra luggage tag and put it on the duffle bag, dropped the duffle with our luggage and a hour later everything was sitting outside our cabin door.

Jerry

We got "wine duffle bag" at TJ Maxx in San Diego. $8 - DH still had the price tag on it when we boarded the ship!:p

Archived