Is "Formal Wear" a bit of an anachronism?

shifty

We are not bothering with formal wear for our Alaska cruise. We're doing 3 days before in Seattle and 11 days with a rental car after. We do enjoy formal nights as a rule. We generally travel with a few other couples and have a grand time taking pictures. My question is if your not dressed formally on formal night, will we have to go to the buffet? This is our 2nd. Princess cruise, so not sure of their policy. Once on RCL one couple forgot it was formal night, they were sat, but the photographer did not come to our table, no big deal. How does Princes react if you're not "dressed"?
You will probably not be turned away but you will be very much in the minority. No, it will not "ruin" someone's cruise but the dress code for the evening (dining rooms) is "formal" so that ignoring that is not respectful of the passengers who take the time and make the effort to dress up. You will have plenty of company in the buffet.

What bothers me is the people who make comments that if you can afford to cruise, you can affor the extra charges for luggage, etc. I am sure there are many people out there who have saved a long time and actually have a limited budget to work with. My family is lucky that we have been able to vacation regularly, but someone with a family a four as we are, flying a great (or not so great) distance to a port with extra luggage, fuel surcharge fees, air deviation fees, hotel prior to or after, meals, taxis, excursions, pop cards, coffee cards, ice cream cards, extra $$ activities on ship or land, and so forth can really add up. For us, all these extras needed to go on the cruise will easily add anywhere from $4000 and up to the original cost of the cruise.
I understand what you're saying but then those extra costs are also part of the cost of cruising. You can easily cut back your costs by finding a cruise closer to home or at a time when air isn't a premium, not buy soda cards, ice cream cards, etc., saving yourself quite a bit of money. And, in the long run, people are going to have to learn to pack more efficiently and not put everything but the kitchen sink in their luggage. It's absolutely mind-boggling what people bring and the humongous suitcases they stuff to the gills.

I think half the people will agree and the other half will disagree. For some people it would never be the same if they didn't have formal night.

I personally would prefer country club casual on all nights.

I totally agree. If you choose to go formal, so be it. Set up one restaurant for the formal half and the rest of us can enjoy the lobster "a la country club" in the other restaurant. Not only does formal wear consume valuable space in our luggage, but when you spend a goodly sum to enjoy a cruising holiday, one shouldn't be dictated to re dress code. Personally, I don't like to be treated as a second- class passenger, simply because I choose not to "glitz-up."

I do like formal night, because I don't get to dress up too often. In terms of luggage - I bring one gown for a 7 night cruise and wear it twice (no one has ever firgured it out yet - or at least said anything to me about it). Heck - if a guy can wear a suit or tux twice, why can't I wear a dress twice? By the way, we do anytime dining, Don't know if I could get away with this with traditional dining. hehehe

If you wear "country club casual" every night - well that's 7 shirts and 7 pairs of pants. It works out to be a little more clothing than my one evening gown and 5 other outfits for the 7 night cruise. Even in wearing 2 different dresses on formal nights, it would only amount to one more evening of clothing. I don't see that much of a difference in changing a dress code in order to bring less clothing when the amount would be just about the same.

I totally agree. If you choose to go formal, so be it. Set up one restaurant for the formal half and the rest of us can enjoy the lobster "a la country club" in the other restaurant. Not only does formal wear consume valuable space in our luggage, but when you spend a goodly sum to enjoy a cruising holiday, one shouldn't be dictated to re dress code. Personally, I don't like to be treated as a second- class passenger, simply because I choose not to "glitz-up."

You realize of course there are cruise lines where you’re not required to “glitz” up. Its just like any other resort – some require you to be less casual than others. All you have to do is choose a cruise line that suits your taste.

If you have the funds to spend a goodly sum on a cruise holiday, you shouldn’t counter the few nights you’re required to dress. If you feel that casual alternatives make you a second class passenger, that’s really not the problem of those who wish to dress.

A formal restaurant does not make a formal evening – they are two different things.

If you wear "country club casual" every night - well that's 7 shirts and 7 pairs of pants. It works out to be a little more clothing than my one evening gown and 5 other outfits for the 7 night cruise.
Or 7 shorts and 7 t-shirts, worn all day, depending on how far the standards degrade.

I do like formal night, because I don't get to dress up too often. In terms of luggage - I bring one gown for a 7 night cruise and wear it twice (no one has ever firgured it out yet - or at least said anything to me about it). Heck - if a guy can wear a suit or tux twice, why can't I wear a dress twice? By the way, we do anytime dining, Don't know if I could get away with this with traditional dining. hehehe

If you wear "country club casual" every night - well that's 7 shirts and 7 pairs of pants. It works out to be a little more clothing than my one evening gown and 5 other outfits for the 7 night cruise. Even in wearing 2 different dresses on formal nights, it would only amount to one more evening of clothing. I don't see that much of a difference in changing a dress code in order to bring less clothing when the amount would be just about the same.

You assume people don't double up on the clothes they pack. A 7 night cruise would not equal 7 pairs of pants for me. Cut that in half, at least.

I don't really understand why people feel that packing a few pieces of formalwear is such a burden. I mean for a man that means packing a suit jacket and tie, assuming you were packing the pants and shirt anyway. And for a woman that means perhaps a dress or two, or a nice pantsuit. Does it really take up that much room? I mean most peple can find ways to stretch a wardrobe through changing the shirt or blouse so you don't even really have to bring an entirely different outfit for each formal night. My husband brings one dark suit and wears a different shirt and tie on each formal night. It's not that difficult. I manage to pack formal wear for an entire family of four and it doesn't cause undue hardship. Really I think the packing restriction is just being used as an excuse by those who would just personally prefer to do away with formal night because they don't like it.

I don't really understand why people feel that packing a few pieces of formalwear is such a burden. I mean for a man that means packing a suit jacket and tie, assuming you were packing the pants and shirt anyway. And for a woman that means perhaps a dress or two, or a nice pantsuit. Does it really take up that much room? I mean most peple can find ways to stretch a wardrobe through changing the shirt or blouse so you don't even really have to bring an entirely different outfit for each formal night. My husband brings one dark suit and wears a different shirt and tie on each formal night. It's not that difficult. I manage to pack formal wear for an entire family of four and it doesn't cause undue hardship. Really I think the packing restriction is just being used as an excuse by those who would just personally prefer to do away with formal night because they don't like it.

Nicely said. I do get a few nights out of different combinations of outfits in addition to wearing formal night wear usually twice.

We'll be driving to the port (and without kids), so this doesn't effect me, but thinking about it...a suit with shirts, tie etc is more bulky than packing cruise casual clothes. Also, given weight limitations, another pair of shoes is going to go 4-5 lbs. I can certainly see these issues adding up and causing people concerns and at the end of the day trade offs will be made. Some will choose against formal wear and others will do without other items.

As we both said on a previous thread, what the hell are people packing? I would imagine that even if they left out their formal wear, they’d still be taking the same number of bags.

Right! I say rough it a little and leave home the over the door shoe bag, the duct tape, the flameless candles, etc., and your jeans...:p and leave some room for your formalwear.

If all cruise lines dropped formal nights, it might as well be Disneyland...:cool:

Exactly! Well stated.

Long live formal nights!:D

What are you packing, combat boots???:eek:

I have a pair of black wing tips I wear with my suit. I actually weighed them before posting :D. Granted I'm also including the shoe tree inside them. But, if I'm throwing them in a bag I'd be taking them anyway, so felt it should be included.

I don't really think it's a matter of whether people can or cannot afford the extra $25, it's just whenever there are extras fees, people don't want to pay it (even if the fee was there before, but hidden). Just our nature. I would agree that the increasingly restrictive baggage allowances will probably have some effect. How big I can't say.

I definitely think the future trend will head towards casual. Well, really I think many lines will go this way, but not all. As you can always see from this type of thread, there are some people who absolutely want their formal nights, and others who really don't. I'm sure the cruise market will adjust itself to serve both nicely (after all, the trend towards less formal is because there IS a demand for that).

Probably the biggest reason for a change in dress codes will simply be a change in the passenger population. The majority of cruisers right now are big on formal wear, tuxes and gowns. When cruise ships start to take on more and more Gen Y passengers, I'd almost be certain that will change on several lines. I've personally never worn a tuxedo - suits are formalwear to me. I mean, I still wear nice pants and a dress shirt to fancy restaurants (and maybe a jacket depending on the place) but I (and most Gen Yers) wouldn't find "country club casual" at all offensive (or dark jeans for that matter). I'm always shocked when people on this board equate any move towards the casual side (even slightly) to ripped jeans and a t shirt. Even though I may be from a very "casual" generation, most of us know what's appropriate in terms of our look.

THANK YOU!!! Well said!

It sounds as if one poster was saying that middle class and lower-middle class people shouldn't cruise. Others are telling most of us what we should spend our money on. I'm middle class and maybe you have a money tree in your backyard, but I don't happen to. It goes both ways. If you want to dress formal and are offended because others are "just" dressy, and you own a money tree, go on a long cruise and it sounds like you will be really happy.

I chose to go on a cruise to Alaska because I want to go on a cruise to Alaska. I also chose this cruise because I liked the itinerary and the time fit my schedule. Are people saying that I shouldn't cruise where and when I want to because of the dress code on two nights?

People used to dress up to go to football games. Who would do that now??? That dress code changed because times changed. I'm not promoting jeans, shorts, and sweats. Just choice as to how dressed up I need to get.

This poster is offering a great alternative. Have one dining room for formal and semi-formal and one for people who don't want to blow another hundred or two on something we may never wear again. Then, we can all have lobster and be happy. On every other day of the cruise we might all get along really well. It would be a shame to be looked down upon on two, two-hour periods just because I dress up and don't get formal.

"Can't we all just get along???" :-)

So many try to find an excuse for not getting dressed for dinner. My sister and I started cruising back in the 80's on the Home Lines Oceanic and if all these people cruised then, they would have never cruised again. Women could not wear pants of any kind into the dining room even on a regular dinner night. On a 7 day cruise there were 2 formal nights, 1 semi-formal night and the rest was dress for dinner, dresses or skirts for women and jackets and ties for the men. Now, this was considered the way to dress when going to any good restaurant in those days and was considered a thing to do then. Now after all the years and all the modern ways of cruising, you can still enjoy getting dressed for dinner any night and on formal nights get in the formals and enjoy it. I'm sure you do not do this at home and it is so enjoyable to the rest of us. If you can't pack clothes to take and take all the other items, then you need to find the cruise line that is good for you and not make the line change for you not to carry luggage. I'm sure there are more of us seasoned cruisers that still enjoy the sit down dinner the formal way! Try doing it and just enjoy it!

I have a pair of black wing tips I wear with my suit. I actually weighed them before posting :D. Granted I'm also including the shoe tree inside them. But, if I'm throwing them in a bag I'd be taking them anyway, so felt it should be included.

With weight restrictions, why in the world would you pack shoe trees? Just stuff your shoes with socks that you will be wearing with the shoes anyway.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and have a few opinions...

Regarding the additional costs and those who think it is rude to tell someone that if you can't afford the additional costs then you shouldn't cruise. There are some costs that come with cruising that are not part of the fare. This is just part of the whole package...it is what it is. It is like if you were going out to eat and only taking enough money along to pay for the food without paying the tip...it is part of it and most people in wouldn't do it.

Regarding the formal or not. I truly love dressing for the formal nights, but I do find it interesting that I wouldn't dress like this for any land vacation that I've done but I don't even bat an eye at it for a cruise.

I am one who is in agreement with the position of the different dining rooms for different attires...as long as the same service and food are offered in all. I would hate to think that they would be offering better service to those who are dressed in a particular manner.

As for those who think that formalwear takes up too much space in your luggage, then you can always do what I do and even though I have my own tux I choose to rent one that is waiting for me in my stateroom. No worries about luggage space...no worries about spilling something on the tux...just having it waiting for me and then being taken away when I'm done with it.

Whatever they choose to do...I certainly will not give up on cruising...because no matter how I'm dressed I'm still on a ship...and that means I'm having so much fun!!

So many try to find an excuse for not getting dressed for dinner. My sister and I started cruising back in the 80's on the Home Lines Oceanic and if all these people cruised then, they would have never cruised again. Women could not wear pants of any kind into the dining room even on a regular dinner night. On a 7 day cruise there were 2 formal nights, 1 semi-formal night and the rest was dress for dinner, dresses or skirts for women and jackets and ties for the men. Now, this was considered the way to dress when going to any good restaurant in those days and was considered a thing to do then. Now after all the years and all the modern ways of cruising, you can still enjoy getting dressed for dinner any night and on formal nights get in the formals and enjoy it. I'm sure you do not do this at home and it is so enjoyable to the rest of us. If you can't pack clothes to take and take all the other items, then you need to find the cruise line that is good for you and not make the line change for you not to carry luggage. I'm sure there are more of us seasoned cruisers that still enjoy the sit down dinner the formal way! Try doing it and just enjoy it!

Absolutely! That is one of the reasons I got hooked on cruising in the first place. My line of choice was Sitmar...so elegant and sophisticated...you felt like royalty, not cattle as some lines make you feel today. Of course, the Italians on both Home Lines and Sitmar really knew how to serve you.:)

Not only does formal wear consume valuable space in our luggage, but when you spend a goodly sum to enjoy a cruising holiday, one shouldn't be dictated to re dress code. Personally, I don't like to be treated as a second- class passenger, simply because I choose not to "glitz-up."

Okay....I've got a scenario for you. If you were invited to a wedding and the invitation stated "Black Tie"(i.e. "dress code"), would you show up in casual clothes just because you didn't want to "glitz-up?" After all, no one dresses up to go to weddings anymore, right?

I wish that Princess (& others) would drop the "formal" nights and go "country club casual."

Your thoughts?

"Country club casual?" I'm sorry, but in my part of Texas I don't even know where a country club is. Casual for some in my choir at church is bib overalls and T-shirt. They don't skimp on the handlebar mustache. So if that's casual, when are all y'all goin' to be sproutin' those new handlebars?

Better yet, let's start the whole casual thing by letting the waiters wear golf shirts with discrete Sea Witch logos, rather than the formal tux shirt and tuxes of different colors they have to wear each night. Once they are allowed to be more casual to set the mood, then we can match. What? You didn't mean that? why not? It works at Denny's.

I love the formal nights - the whole ship wide idea of just a few nights to dress one's best. I may not be the most comfortable (I don't wear ties anymore to work), but, let's face it, there is a totally different atmosphere that we really like and hope that Princess Cruises never loses. It is part of the cruise experience that makes it so unique and appealing.

Since the dress code is for the evening on the ship, I don't see where this is a solution. If you choose not to dress up, then that is your choice. No one is dictating anything to you and you are not being treated as a second-class citizen: you know what the dress code is ahead of time and you make a choice. Life is all about choices.

I think they should make formal nights optional and offer the same menu

for the 'casual sport'/normal wear people. I think if someone wants

to be pretentious and dress up on a cruise to show that is fine with me.

But to deny me the same menu (pizza and fried chicken is not dinner food to me)

at the buffet or anytime dining room is dumb. Maybe instead of providing some

white threadbare robe, they should provide tuxes for men hanging in the closet upon

embarkation!

I have a problem on people thinking that on formal nights seeing someone in casual sport (blazer/khaki Banana Republic type clothes) would ruin their evening. If they really think the middle class shouldn't be cruising well tough luck, because they shouldn't be on Princess Cruise, because

that is so run of the mill and marketed at Costco! Also most people

on this cruise is middle class (looking for cheap airfare/on board credits).

Those with real money can't be bothered logging into this board. They

would have their hired help (travel agent) do the work.

If I want to eat lobster/caviar/baked alaska in a blazer that should be fine. I would dare anyone to refuse service to me in a nice tie and blazer

on formal nights. Especially some underpaid help from some third world

country who barely speaks English and probably and only owns that polyester funeral suit (tuxedo/waiter's uniform).

I hope not to run into these rigid Princess customers on my first cruise! I hope they're like most strangers I meet in a fine restaurant

in San Francisco. Cordial and friendly. Not condescending and pretentious! Hey wake up it's 2008... styles change....

I think they should make formal nights optional and offer the same menu for the 'casual sport'/normal wear people. I think if someone wants to be pretentious and dress up on a cruise to show that is fine with me.
It's not being pretentious to follow the Cruise line dress guidelines. How on earth is that pretentious? They offer many of the same menu options in the buffet; not all but many. Again, it's all about choices. No one is forcing you to dress up nor is anyone making you choose a cruiseline with a dress code, nor is following that code "pretentious." That is what you book certain cruiselines for, including Princess. If you choose not to, there are cruiselines that have no formal nights. I'm not telling you to go elsewhere but you CHOOSE to cruise Princess and the dress code is published and available for your information.

Archived