Is "Formal Wear" a bit of an anachronism?

shifty

So - How about the "Confederate Flag" cruise? (and should the superbowl be played in Tampa as long as a 50' by 150' confederate flag flies along a nearby interstate?) And other controversies? OK - I've heard everyone say "Hooray!" to dress military uniforms on formal night... ditto; what about dress Confederate Army uniforms, huh? I mean if Scottish Kilts are alright, their ought to nothing wrong with Confederate Army formal wear for the Red Neck cruise... or for the well dressed red necks on ANY cruise! Eh, Ron? :D

And don't diss - sleeping bags either! If you've never booked 'deck passage' you ain't lived brotha'! (From personal experience, I can tell 'ya that deck passage in the Med in March and April can be quite chilly in the wee hours!) ;)

Have a nice day and please "GET A LIFE" you are now on my ignore list.

Ron

We will be doing 2 cruises this year with a total of 4 formal nights between the two trips. I love the formal nights as our life stlye is so casual, it is nice to get all dressed up a couple of times a year and my DH looks so nice in his dark suit. We have been cruising for over 15 years and I have learned to alter my packing considerably. When picking my "formal" outfits I will chose something that I only need to bring one pair of dressy shoes and one dressy handbag. I really don't care if I wear my black velvet slacks more than once on a trip, I will just bring a different top. If I wasn't packing our "formal" clothes I would still have to pack something else to wear, so the luggage issue really does not hold water.

It's somewhat interesting how such a topic raises the blood pressure of some. I really didn't even know what anachronism means. I had to read the post to figure it out. I'm still not sure.

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. My cruise experience will be good if my wife has a good time, we enjoy good food, good entertainment, good weather and good sights. Obviously, I want good service too, that is part of the experience for me. I'm leaving a few things out, but that's pretty much it. For others... how I dress on formal night is improtant. That is part of their experience. I don't get it, but to each his / her own.

What YOU look like on formal night or any other night is of NO importance to me. I personally would not show up to formal night without a suit and tie... but if you do... that's okay. If the Cruiseline allows people to do it why should it bother me? My food is going to taste the same. You're not taking any pictures with me, right?

In any event, as a kid I NEVER thought cruise vacations would be part of my vacationing life. Not something our family did or thought of. I always thought it was for the Thurston Howell III types. Judging by this thread that's what some people would like. I'm just happy my wife talked me into that first cruise.

Just my opinion... doesn't make me right. Just closer to right than the rest of you!

Just kidding!!:p

...If the Cruiseline allows people to do it why should it bother me?............. I always thought it was for the Thurston Howell III types. Judging by this thread that what some people would like.....

Good stuff! LOL!!

It's somewhat interesting how such a topic raises the blood pressure of some. I really didn't even know what anachronism means. I had to read the post to figure it out. I'm still not sure.

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. My cruise experience will be good if my wife has a good time, we enjoy good food, good entertainment, good weather and good sights. Obviously, I want good service too, that is part of the experience for me. I'm leaving a few things out, but that's pretty much it. For others... how I dress on formal night is improtant. That is part of their experience. I don't get it, but to each his / her own.

What YOU look like on formal night or any other night is of NO importance to me. I personally would not show up to formal night without a suit and tie... but if you do... that's okay. If the Cruiseline allows people to do it why should it bother me? My food is going to taste the same. You're not taking any pictures with me, right?

In any event, as a kid I NEVER thought cruise vacations would be part of my vacationing life. Not something our family did or thought of. I always thought it was for the Thurston Howell III types. Judging by this thread that's what some people would like. I'm just happy my wife talked me into that first cruise.

Just my opinion... doesn't make me right. Just closer to right than the rest of you!

Just kidding!!:p

I like it Kev - but that "Just Kidding!!" at the end might keep you OFF Ron's "list"! :D

Actually, I think those guy's wearing polo shirts on formal night are ringers for the physician and infirmary staff (like the Steiner gals outside the spa)...

[Polo shirt interacts with confederate utility cap, then radios down to the infirmary, "It looks like we got a hypertension mini-stroke near the photo gallery, yep! Svetlana's flashed her 'tramp stamp' eagle tatoo above the jeans on her rump and shook her Jack Daniels halter! HE'S GOIN' DOWN!! I'll loosen his cummerbund, ready the gurney!"] ;):D;)

Hey - the Doc's a profit center! They're just keeping fares down! :D

Anachronism - everybody knows that's the thing 'ya study spiders with...

[Polo shirt interacts with confederate utility cap, then radios down to the infirmary, "It looks like we got a hypertension mini-stroke near the photo gallery, yep! Svetlana's flashed her 'tramp stamp' eagle tatoo above the jeans on her rump and shook her Jack Daniels halter! HE'S GOIN' DOWN!! I'll loosen his cummerbund, ready the gurney!"] ;):D;)

Hey - the Doc's a profit center! They're just keeping fares down! :D

You laugh but in the past year, I've seen a couple of potentially serious medical emergencies at tables right next to me. One was a lady who suddenly collapsed from a mini-stroke; the other was a lady who had something going down the wrong way and a quick-thinking tablemate gave her the Heimlich manuver, which worked. She was gasping and waving her arms for what seemed minutes but was probably only 20-30 seconds. I don't think it's funny to joke about people having mini-strokes.

Now retired I live in two communites where the dress of the day is jeans or shorts and I love it. However twice or so a year we cruise and we love the dress up part of the itinerary; the 4 to 6 times a year I have to put on a tux and DW has to wear a fancy dress is just part of the enchantment of cruising and I hope it never ends. I have said on other threads, the formal nights are always the nights that we remember, all of the others are forgotten in their sameness.

Now retired I live in two communites where the dress of the day is jeans or shorts and I love it. However twice or so a year we cruise and we love the dress up part of the itinerary; the 4 to 6 times a year I have to put on a tux and DW has to wear a fancy dress is just part of the enchantment of cruising and I hope it never ends. I have said on other threads, the formal nights are always the nights that we remember, all of the others are forgotten in their sameness.

Well said.

Thanks for being there fellow romantic.

Is it an anachronism? Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with that.

Also anachronistic are: respecting one another, manners, meeting new people in person, and presenting oneself with a sense of pride in appearance and conduct.

Progress isn't always forward. Take a moment to think about the things we have lost and ask yourself, are we happier today because we can have it our way?

Let's keep in mind that no matter what the dress code is, many tend to take it down a notch or two anyway. So changing it to country club casual would just leave it too much up to personal interpretation which can lead to an even more casual dress situation. Princess, leave it alone...that's what sets you apart from some of the other lines.

Ditto three Putterdude...

I'll keep packing my tux and dinner jacket (because 'dark suits' are just nothing special and associated with WORK! :()

I'll do it for me and I'll do it for you Putterdude! (and for the gownish, glove wearing DW)... and the fantasy of James Bond goes to Sea...

I'll do it for the love of life and that in living we can laugh about ANYTHING - even ministrokes (as I've had loved ones suffer)...

But I won't wear the custume of the day for those that are 'hot and bothered' (on a cruise! or about cruises!) over those that don't share my sentiments or packing skills and I'll waste no time either pretending that I'm 'better' than 'them' either on the cruise or here.

Life's too short and that's not what it (life) is about... IMHO :o

I have been on four cruises and will be on a fifth in September. I have yet to dress formally for dinner. There are always other choices for those who do not wish to dress up.

There is a tradition of dressing for dinner on Cruises. It is worth preserving. I am planning on dressing for dinner on at least one of the formal nights on the upcoming cruise. I expect it will be fun. If I didn't think it fun then I would take advantage of other dinner opportunities. No one holds a gun to your head and makes you dress up.

I think that eventually most cruises will be similar to NCL's where you can dress if you want to but you must always wear at least resort dress casual. perhaps on larger ships where there is more than one dining room, one will be formal.

I also think that there will be people who will rebel from this. There always is.

Yes, there are always "special" people, aren't there?:rolleyes:

And in public schools they even dedicate a class to them, "special class"! :D:D

C'mon Usha - here's a cruiser warming up to formal nights and your drivin' him off with a stick... It's not THAT important.

Yup. And dress on those semi-formal nights was actually pretty close to what people now wear for formal nights. At the same time, a gentleman wasn't allowed into the dining room without a jacket and tie, and if they walked up without one, it was provided. Of course, it was assumed that every male passenger was a "gentleman" -- not so much now as evidenced by the number of slobs you find on cruise ships these days. The "good old days" were less than ten years ago.

I don't know how long you've been cruising Princess but I've NEVER been denied access to the DR without my tie & that goes back to 1987.

I don't know how long you've been cruising Princess but I've NEVER been denied access to the DR without my tie & that goes back to 1987.
Let's see: Royal Princess and Sun Princess, going back to the late 90's. And yes, I remember distinctly because my brother-in-law hates to wear a tie and on a couple of nights, he was given one to wear or else wouldn't be seated.

And in public schools they even dedicate a class to them, "special class"! :D:D

C'mon Usha - here's a cruiser warming up to formal nights and your drivin' him off with a stick... It's not THAT important.

Oops! sorry....:o

Well Heck. Why don't all the girls at their High School Proms wear their jeans? Because they love the chance to dress up for a change. That is why now that we are older, we get a chance to get all dolled up and show off to our husbands, how we can look if we put a lot of effort into it. I love seeing him in a tux as well. Very romantic :) The rest of you can come to dinner in whatever floats your boat. I really don't care. But it is really nice to see everyone else. Such pretty clothes. Like watching the Oscars. There is just something so special when a lot of dressed up people sit down to a nice dinner and stroll around the ship, going to the shows etc. I hope it never goes away.

Well Heck. Why don't all the girls at their High School Proms wear their jeans? Because they love the chance to dress up for a change. That is why now that we are older, we get a chance to get all dolled up and show off to our husbands, how we can look if we put a lot of effort into it. I love seeing him in a tux as well. Very romantic :) The rest of you can come to dinner in whatever floats your boat. I really don't care. But it is really nice to see everyone else. Such pretty clothes. Like watching the Oscars. There is just something so special when a lot of dressed up people sit down to a nice dinner and stroll around the ship, going to the shows etc. I hope it never goes away.

Well said.

Believe it or not, there was a similar thread over on the Crystal Cruises board. Ironically, some CRYSTAL passengers wanted to do away with formal nights because "it was a pain to travel with formal wear". Imagine that! One of the top "high-end" lines doing away with formal nights. I don't think they would ever consider it. But it's sad that Crystal passengers would suggest it.

I think getting rid of formal nights is a slippery slope. Soon, passengers will complain that they can't wear shorts and flip-flops to dinner.

Formal nights should be kept. There's always the option to wear a suit and tie or "fancy dress" if you don't want to dress to the nines. As others have stated, it just creates a wonderful atmosphere when everyone's dressed up.

Well, I hate to say this but I was asked in a recent discussion with Princess sales staff about the level of resistance I was seeing from clients about Formal night and I had to admit it has been a problem when it comes to capturing new markets for the line. Younger folk, and I'm mean 50 and under, who are not yet experienced cruisers are not as whole buying into the formal thing, and probably agree with the OP that it's a bit of an anachronism.

Princess and HAL are in a difficult position where their older established base is, well, no longer as large thanks to natural attrition. They are starting to seriously court the younger market, hence the allowance now of non-torn jeans in the dining room on casual nights.

On a recent HAL trip, I was impressed by the buffet service for dinner. You went up to a podium in the buffet and selected your entree and sides, which were identical to the dining room, and it would be prepared for you and brought to your table. It was great.

The Princess buffet? No so much.

If Princess could upgrade the casual alternative a bit and at least provide the same food as the dining room, it might improve the outlook. If not, well, I think they know what they may have to do, and the fact that they are asking about the resistance to formal night makes me think it's already on the table.

Archived