Is "Formal Wear" a bit of an anachronism?

shifty

Don't get me wrong... I don't mind getting dressed up in my tux ("make every occasion a great occasion"), and especially for men it's not too big a deal to pack a tux; it's a bigger deal for the ladies who must travel with several different outfits. Having said that however, after 20+ cruises, I am now of the opinion that Oceania has the right idea - "country club casual" every night. Times change and customs change with it. While I would be offended if people came to the dining room in shorts, t-shirts, etc, I can find little justification for requiring formal attire on vacation cruises, especially to exotic places such as the Amazon, Cape Horn, Tahiti, etc. And now that some (perhaps all) airlines are charging for checked baggage, it's even more important to pack light.

I wish that Princess (& others) would drop the "formal" nights and go "country club casual."

Your thoughts?

Mike S

If there are 2 formal nights, I wear a cocktail dress to one, and then simple skirt & top to the other. I don't want to pack a lot of stuff either, and with airline charges now, will definitely be packing lighter than in the past.

While I like occasionally dressing up (and the ship photos are a nice option though pricey), I would still cruise a line that did not have formal nights.

Don't get me wrong... I don't mind getting dressed up in my tux ("make every occasion a great occasion"), and especially for men it's not too big a deal to pack a tux; it's a bigger deal for the ladies who must travel with several different outfits. Having said that however, after 20+ cruises, I am now of the opinion that Oceania has the right idea - "country club casual" every night. Times change and customs change with it. While I would be offended if people came to the dining room in shorts, t-shirts, etc, I can find little justification for requiring formal attire on vacation cruises, especially to exotic places such as the Amazon, Cape Horn, Tahiti, etc. And now that some (perhaps all) airlines are charging for checked baggage, it's even more important to pack light.

I wish that Princess (& others) would drop the "formal" nights and go "country club casual."

Your thoughts?

Mike S

I think half the people will agree and the other half will disagree. For some people it would never be the same if they didn't have formal night.

I personally would prefer country club casual on all nights.

With the airlines charging for 1st, 2nd bags, etc., yes, I think the cruise lines will change their dress code to something more casual - as you said, "country club casual" for all nights, and do away with "formal" altogether - at least for most lines.

Then it won't be long before "country club casual" becomes "ripped jeans and torn t-shirts". Sorry but I'm one who would vote for keeping formal nights. There are lots of really nice formal type dresses, skirts and slacks that pack really easily.

With the airlines charging for 1st, 2nd bags, etc., yes, I think the cruise lines will change their dress code to something more casual - as you said, "country club casual" for all nights, and do away with "formal" altogether - at least for most lines.

I also think this will be the norm in the not so distant future. With more cruise passengers leaning more and more towards only resort casual dress onboard, and with what the airlines are doing, it won't surprise me one little bit if there isn't an announcement very soon from the major cruise lines.

Yes, it will disappoint those that enjoy dressing up on formal night, but my guess it will change to an 'optional formal dress' for one or two nights onboard. That will have some passengers furious, but it will also allow non-formally dressed passengers into the diningroom (kind of like they are doing right now :rolleyes: ) without a second look from the staff. We'll just have to play the waiting game on this one, but my guess is it will happen very soon.

Your thoughts?

Mike S

While we enjoy occasional formal evenings, events and attitudes seem to be putting more and more pressure on cruise lines (and others) to relax dress codes. It has become really obvious in my recent cruise experience. Personally, I would be embarassed to be seen in the main dining room dressed in the manner of some. But for those, "anything goes" is the order of the day, and that is sad IMHO.

To me, as long as cruise lines host formal nights, I'll respect that, and dress formally. The argument about luggage restrictions & charges for 2nd bags, etc., sounds like a lame excuse to me. If paying $25 for a second bag is gonna break you, what are you doing cruising?

Flame away if you must...:rolleyes:

While we enjoy occasional formal evenings, events and attitudes seem to be putting more and more pressure on cruise lines (and others) to relax dress codes. It has become really obvious in my recent cruise experience. Personally, I would be embarassed to be seen in the main dining room dressed in the manner of some. But for those, "anything goes" is the order of the day, and that is sad IMHO.

In the history of sailing one dressed for dinner....period. The clientel (other than steerage, of course) did so at home and so dressed accordingly aboard.

When sailing became more affordable and the passenger list represented those who were not so accustomed to formal dressing, the appeal of sailing included dressing the part, hence formal wear rentals. As sailing became even more affordable, passengers like the idea of formal dressing but not every evening and the custom was lost. It degenerated with each afforability to a point of sometimes, and only if one must, wearing a tie. As sailing became most affordable, one can dress the hell the way one wants, when one wants.

As sailing now becomes more expensive with the ever escalating fuel prices...

Although I'm new to cruising I like to dress up on formal nights and pick the cruise company that best suits that. There is such a choice of cruise companies I think that you simply choose the style that suits the most. I don't get to dress up at home so its nice to make the effort for just 1 or 2 nights whilst I'm away. I think that if all cruise companies change to casual dress it would take away our choices. As at one time everyone would have dressed formally at all times on ships.

Lets be honest it comes down to choice and even on formal nights some people don't bother to dress up on some cruise lines. So pick what suits you and if youi don't like it go with another cruise line.

Babs:cool:

I respect people's desire to retain formal nights. I have taken a tux on some cruises and I have taken a blue blazer on others. The more I cruise the less I bring; however I am always dressed appropriately for whatever venue I attend. Keep formal nighs or eliminate them; it won't bother me either way.

IMHO the time has come for 'formal nights' to become a thing of the past. Don't get me wrong - I own two tuxedos and the fit furthermore I am comfortable wearing them. Still I am in favor of 'country club casual'. Those that want to dress up could still do so if they want.

To me 'formal nights' are sort of a hold over and are play acting. Ashore very few of us wear formal attire in the evenings any more. Now, with the baggage charge and surcharges, the premium will be on packing as few things a s possible for those that travel by commercial air.

Formal wear either for men or for women does take up a lot of space. Less for men than for women because men can and usually do wear the same tux on all formal nights while cruising. Most women wouldn't get caught dead wearing the same formal outfit twice on the same cruise so they have to pack even more stuff.

We usually go on ten to fourteen day cruises. Even without our SCUBA gear it was taking us two bags apiece. On a lot of airlines that translates to $230 in checked baggage charges. Take my word for it - it's only a matter of time before most if not all of the other air carriers follow the lead of American Airlines and start charging for each and every bag checked. We do fly to our cruises but with the TSA crapola and the baggage surcharges I am getting happier all the time that we don't fly commercially.

One final note - I am NOT in favor of cut-offs, T-shirts, bathing suits, etc. in the formal dining room. Keep the attire to business casual and I doubt that it will offend anyone's sensibilities.

Everyone have a great day out there. See you on that next cruise with no tie on. *LOL*

We go on 4 to 5 weeks trips every 2 years (because of the price of the air fare) and on my next two cruises in 2009 I will not be bring formal wear. I will wear shirt , tie and dress pants. I can't see wasting the space and weight for two nights. I wish this was not the case but I will only follow the airlines leed.

Your thoughts?

Mike S

You can choose to go elsewhere to dine. Many people like to "do" formal night. :) You will most likely get your wish. Carnival ships are dropping formal night. Its just a matter of time.

Then it won't be long before "country club casual" becomes "ripped jeans and torn t-shirts". Sorry but I'm one who would vote for keeping formal nights. There are lots of really nice formal type dresses, skirts and slacks that pack really easily.

I totally agree – people already stretch the current guidelines. The excuse that airlines are charging for luggage isn't a good one. The charges aren't exorbitant and if people can afford to cruise, they can afford to pay to fly their bags.

If passengers don’t want a higher quality vacation – and they demonstrate it by not following minimum dress guidelines – then the cruise lines have no motivation to provide a quality product – I personally don’t want to cruise on ships that resemble what EasyCruise markets today, thanks.

Will I stop cruising Princess if they change their dress guidelines? Probably not. But I will when their quality falls to the level of those who dress like they’re at a theme park.

We recently returned from TA cruise on the Grand. Because of the nature of the cruise (longer) there was an abundance of "seasoned" cruisers on board. What a delight....formal night was exactly that (we had 4 of them in a 20 day segment) and on other nights people dressed on the "dressy" side of country club casual. Just like cruising used to be....I loved it and appreciated the ambiance of the cruise. Yes, to me it made a difference. The staff/crew commented on it too.

The problem with going formal night optional or all resoprt casual, is quite frankly, there are passengers who have no idea what that means!

We recently returned from TA cruise on the Grand. Because of the nature of the cruise (longer) there was an abundance of "seasoned" cruisers on board. What a delight....formal night was exactly that (we had 4 of them in a 20 day segment) and on other nights people dressed on the "dressy" side of country club casual. Just like cruising used to be....I loved it and appreciated the ambiance of the cruise. Yes, to me it made a difference. The staff/crew commented on it too.

The problem with going formal night optional or all resoprt casual, is quite frankly, there are passengers who have no idea what that means!

My sentiments EXACTLY!! There are many people who have no clue as to what "resort casual" or "country club casual" or "formal attire" actually mean!

I personally would love to see the suggested attire slightly more relaxed (to assist in today's travel regulations), but even more defined than just a few vague words. I'd prefer to see formal nights simply as "jacket & tie required", like many fine restaurants do, It's clear-cut, and would end the ambiguity of "what's acceptable".

Since my first cruise is not until 12/08, I guess I can't really objectively comment on this. However, this topic seems to come up alot. There are many choices of cruiselines to choose from and also, from the info gathered on this board, other options for dinner if you choose not to dress formal.

What bothers me is the people who make comments that if you can afford to cruise, you can affor the extra charges for luggage, etc. I am sure there are many people out there who have saved a long time and actually have a limited budget to work with. My family is lucky that we have been able to vacation regularly, but someone with a family a four as we are, flying a great (or not so great) distance to a port with extra luggage, fuel surcharge fees, air deviation fees, hotel prior to or after, meals, taxis, excursions, pop cards, coffee cards, ice cream cards, extra $$ activities on ship or land, and so forth can really add up. For us, all these extras needed to go on the cruise will easily add anywhere from $4000 and up to the original cost of the cruise.

Sorry......went a bit off topic, but judging people on not wanting to pay extra for luggage is just rude.

I for one would not mind paying an extra $25.00 for luggage...That doesn't mean I am judging. As for formal nights, Keep em....I've seen people before on formal nights dressed in jeans...I just laugh. Formal nights are a great way to remember what cruising use to be like back in the day.

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Several posters have replied that they dress formally for dinner but change for the shows and other entertainment on the ship. Can someone please tell me what the norm is for this. We haven't cruised in 13 years, our last being on Celebrity. But even back then people were changing into casual clothes after dinner to go to the shows, disco, etc.

Thanks.:confused:

Some people change and some people do not change. on our recent 23 day cruise many people attending the evening show still wore their suits or tuxes and ladies their dresses. We had 5 formal nites and on one them we chose not to go to the dinning room, so we ate in the HC and there were quite a few people up there that were not dressed up at all. Just dressed in what they had worn that day.

To me, as long as cruise lines host formal nights, I'll respect that, and dress formally. The argument about luggage restrictions & charges for 2nd bags, etc., sounds like a lame excuse to me. If paying $25 for a second bag is gonna break you, what are you doing cruising?

Flame away if you must...:rolleyes:

My DH is a firefighter....he'll protect you.;) I agree with you. If the extra fees are breaking you, you shouldn't be cruising.

My DH is a firefighter....he'll protect you.;) I agree with you. If the extra fees are breaking you, you shouldn't be cruising.

As we both said on a previous thread, what the hell are people packing? I would imagine that even if they left out their formal wear, they’d still be taking the same number of bags.

We are not bothering with formal wear for our Alaska cruise. We're doing 3 days before in Seattle and 11 days with a rental car after. We do enjoy formal nights as a rule. We generally travel with a few other couples and have a grand time taking pictures. My question is if your not dressed formally on formal night, will we have to go to the buffet? This is our 2nd. Princess cruise, so not sure of their policy. Once on RCL one couple forgot it was formal night, they were sat, but the photographer did not come to our table, no big deal. How does Princes react if you're not "dressed"?

Archived