Hype?

When I read the words..."the next level of service" I scratch my shaved head.

Service in the way of amenities on the ship...or the human factor?

The crew has always been attentive, gracious and ready to meet my needs. What more they could do is beyond me. I am just a hard working guy, I guess not a wealthy person like many on this board that expect over the top service...what ever that may translate to.

Perhaps many have servants at home that cater to every desire.....

Do I look for more when the rates go up....no. But I do not expect a lowering of the product provided.

Other cruise lines have not changed their "human" factor in the way of service, but provided less in what is included in the price. I have not seen Regent do that as of yet. Other lines....in order to keep prices from going up, they not only nickle and dime you, the 1,3 and 5 dollar you to death. you pay for food, water, coffee, exercise programs all to make money. Now its going to be a charge for cabana like deck seating; how that is going to go over in beyond me. I guess the next stage is daily rental fees for a deck chair. Thank heavens Regent doesn't nickle and dime.

Yes I see that Regent has gone up...but then luxury items across the board have gone up. Look at automobiles.....the only big changes have been in the way of electronics...yet the cost has gone up and up and up.

With ships getting so large, my guess is that the great increases in price comes down to exclusivity......those that can afford it will, those that don't wont.

I dont like the price increases either, but it means either I go less often or switch to a mass market pay for everything.

If Regent cuts back on food, staffing and upkeep of ships.....then I will switch lines.

Really enjoyed your post!:)

I've noticed some very subtle changes on the ship as of November last year when we did the crossing. Most wouldn't notice them but the cost cutting measures were there.

For All Inclusive, you couldn't get Grey Goose Vodka in all the bars. That's a standard premium today. Only Absolute in Observations Lounge. Wines are no longer Napa Chardonnay but Chilean. No more all you can eat caviar. It isn't free either and it's doled out at the SSS parties; Portions are smaller (not really a problem) but again subtle. One bottle of shampoo for the week and as of recent Regent Branded...not Aveda. SSS benefits reduced - there was a spa treatment that was specific to SSS members and included a 1/2 hour massage - gone......One cabin steward not two. Just little things but they add up and to me they are noticeable. Now having cruised other lines, the quality of some of them are reduced from years ago too.

When you state that there was one bottle of shampoo for the week, I am not sure what your concern is. Is your expectation that you will receive a new bottle everyday whether you finish it or not? Or are you stating that your shampoo was not replenished when finished?

I'm curious what ship did not have Grey Goose in all of the bars? On our Mariner cruise this month, I had either Grey Goose or Chopin in every bar (not on the same day;) ). It also appears on the bar menu. Perhaps they had a shortage on your voyage?

They did have an extra bottle of shampoo in the bathroom. I brought my own so it wasn't an issue.

The menu did look smaller -- nothing I can put my finger on. I didn't have an old menu to compare it with.

Travelcat2,

I received a bar list and Grey Goose is now listed on the premium "non inclusive" list. Maybe they are still in transition.

Well, I'd call that......"taking something away".....or "giving less" and a "reduction".

Pat

And for some reason that I can't explain, five or so years ago when fares were about 1/2 what they are now many Radisson ships were sailing only half full. Now, with doubled fares, most Regent ships sail full -- many with waiting lists.With this sort of demand for Regent cruises, I don't look for price breaks anytime soon.

Part of this may be that 9/11 was still fresh in everyone's mind back then so the luxury lines were having a hard time filling the ships as alot of people stayed home. I remember spending ridiculously low fares of ~$200-250/day on both Silversea and Regent back then (2002-2004) for a veranda cabin by myself (single supplement included) and the ships still had lots of room. Now the demand is back and the supply is less, yet everything costs more (fuel, food, etc) so prices will go up. To me it's still very worth what they are asking for the quality Regent provides.

I saw a thing on TV where they had a bunch of vodka "experts" do a blind tasting of the top-shelf vodkas, along with some moderate vodkas and a rot-gut. Plain old Smirnoff came out on top!!! The only thing the experts could single out was the rot-gut.

Thats funny you posted this... I was going to post the exact thing... I used to drink Grey Goose, then went to Stoleys, NOW its Smirnoff for me! ( and my wallet) :D

Host Dan

Ragnar, when you talk about percentage of alcohol, do you mean quantity or proof? I can see tha adds now....."Luxury goes exploring but only with non-premium brands. To really thow us off topic.....how about another picture of your pup. Host Dan will not be happy with me. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Pat

:o Okay, Pat, I'd love to see the picture -- even if it means the demise of this thread. Just a quickie comment -- I, too, drink Smirnoff -- only drink Grey Goose and Chopin on the ship. Still, if they start charging for "premium" vodka's, it is costing them less -- thus, they are diminishing the value of what is offered

So yes, it seems my original post has been hijacked and is full of tangents. But besides the puppy photo request, I think we're all seeing little things that are adding up to something that doesn't look good. Vodka brands are going on the cheaper side. Shampoo is the cheaper kind. Programs are being taken away. And prices are going up.

It's a good thing CC had the story posted about not deleting posts, because Regent probably won't like this: costs are being cut and prices are going up. How many private equity firms actually keep a successful business as is and keep running it? They're trying to get as much profit as possible before sellling it off again. And we just happen to be in the way.

Archived