Hype?

Why should we be shelling out so much more money now for RSSC? I lvoe the line, but what have they really changed since they left Radisson? Justify to me the higher prices. Are we getting something new?

They changed their alcohol policy to all inclusive and the prices went up. Thats just one reason they raised the prices.

Regent completed a multi-million dollar upgrade to their 3 ships last year and are currently looking at each ship for further upgrades. According to Regent executives on board the Mariner last week, Apollo is making money available for the new ship build as well as the upgrades. Last, I can only imagine how much the cost of fuel has gone up for cruise ships. Yes, Regent has increased prices -- but not as much as my local market that put the price of a muffin from $1.50 to $1.75 to $2.00 in 3 weeks.:(

I think the comment relates to the pre-fuel rise price increases.

There is much that has recently been posted on the subject, so scrolling through a three pages threads is probably worth more than both sides of opinions repeating them here yet again.

I am looking forward to the increase in consistent service and the heretofore unidentified upgrades to see if the price increases come into line with my perception of worth or if they are increased further. My fingers are crossed.

There are many cruise lines. Sail the one that makes you feel like you got your money's worth.

We sail on Regent twice a year the last one being this past April and have felt that we have recieved a product worth what we pay.

Yes, Bill - I agree that we all need to do what makes us feel good but if you were used to paying 30-40% less prior to the all-inclusive policy, it is a big change. I agree with Boatman that Regent fares increased way before fuel price increases and service increases have not been commensurate to fare increases.

I guess I should have left my original posting, but I thought I may get flamed for being negative. But---

The inclusive costs should not have raised the price as much. But I don't mind paying for that if I get more. However, when they became Regent, it was a big push about how things were "different." How it was "Luxury goes exploring." How exactly? I really wanted buy the food circle of interest in a few weeks, but it is sold out. So when I saw an art one next July in Russia, I got interested. I called the office to frind out more about it. I was told they were phasing the program out. What? The program you just started when you became Regent? The one that was supposed to justify the rebranding and the money?

And the fuel? I don't see that at all. ALL cruiselines have raised their prices for that and charged surcharges, including Regent. If everyone raises universally, then what exactly makes them special?

And don't flame me -- I'm traveled almost 100 nights with them, but I'm just trying to see what they're doing that is so special to justify it. Same service, same food, less options. ?

I'm not defending Regent but, as I said above, millions of dollars were spent on the ships in 2007 (to use TA language, they replaced all "soft goods" on the ships, installed the flat screen televisions, etc.). The changes are currently being done (or are scheduled) -- for instance, on the Mariner (not including already completed coffee area -- the pool stairs, restaurant changes. . . will happen in December).

At the meeting last week, Regent executives said that $17 million will be spent on the Mariner alone (hope I remembering the exact amount). As is typical of cruise lines, they want to keep some of the changes to themselves (they called them "surprises")

In any event, we did not see the high rate increases until 2008 -- fuel prices were already well on their way to where they presently are. 2007 prices were not anywhere near what they are now (or will be in 2009).

I'm not flaming anyone or asking the question. . . and, I'm not at all happy with the increases. I know several people who have cancelled their 2009 cruises (Regent and Silversea). At this point, it seems that people will be paying much more for everything and not receiving any more than they have now (although not related to cruising, Dow just increased their prices 20% across the board. . . . yet, when we go to the store, the product will be the same).

In the luxury cruise industry, it is positive to see new ships being built, ships being upgraded. Even if we only receive the same service, food and amenities as we had before, it's going to cost -- lots. (JMO)

I think the concept is in the title "Hype?" or, put in a longer version, "Don't Give Me Hype, Give Me That Next Level of Service Promised...Now (Since I am Paying For it Now)". Regent's price increase was from two plus (2+) years ago when the Rebranding started...though the cruises are now. I think OP's observation and question focuses on that...and the reduction of some services/opportunities.

Changing out soft goods is a normal thing which generally is budgeted for, so it is very nice, but not a reason to have a price increase of the magnitude the talked about here. Same goes for pool stairs and tvs. Things just have a service life.

I am not saying Regent isn't a good product. I am just explaining - without going into detail - what the focus is.

I guess I should have left my original posting, but I thought I may get flamed for being negative. But---

The inclusive costs should not have raised the price as much. But I don't mind paying for that if I get more. However, when they became Regent, it was a big push about how things were "different." How it was "Luxury goes exploring." How exactly? I really wanted buy the food circle of interest in a few weeks, but it is sold out. So when I saw an art one next July in Russia, I got interested. I called the office to frind out more about it. I was told they were phasing the program out. What? The program you just started when you became Regent? The one that was supposed to justify the rebranding and the money?

And the fuel? I don't see that at all. ALL cruiselines have raised their prices for that and charged surcharges, including Regent. If everyone raises universally, then what exactly makes them special?

And don't flame me -- I'm traveled almost 100 nights with them, but I'm just trying to see what they're doing that is so special to justify it. Same service, same food, less options. ?

I happen to agree with all of your observations and I'm of the same opinion. What are we getting now for all of those extra dollars besides the all inclusive? The big price increases have been over the past 2+ years and I'm beginning to think the same thing...what's the hype and it's all supply and demand. Obviously up to now they have not had any problem selling at the higher rates but I certainly haven't seen anything extra either for the higher rates charged. Not a flame of Regent but just an answer to your question.

I like the other person's explanation and it seems to fit........"they raised prices because they can".

Pat

I think it is going to be very interesting as the new ships on the various lines come into service. Not only will there be more options and competition, there will be a greater need to find new luxury passengers.

Some of what has been misperceived as my pushing one line over another is actually more of "How can you get new to cruise passengers to try luxury cruises as their first experience when the premium is so high and you are not truly getting (especially as perceived by a novice cruiser) what Regent/Ritz Carlton quality/diversity is?"

Hype may get a few in the door, but performance gets repeaters and referrals. Hopefully Regent/Apollo is focused on this. All we can do is wait and see. (BTW, this doesn't mean a Regent cruise not a good thing now; I am just commenting in relation to the topic of this thread.)

I agree with all this. We have only 59 days, and have 14 days booked this year. I've usually counted on finding the 'value discount' cruises, and they are few and far between now. We have taken advantage of several Spotlight cruises, and if they are phasing this out, what I want to know is, "in favour of what?" If they put on excellent interpretive programs about the area of the cruise, that everybody could do, not just lectures, but coordinated excursions, special food or drink events, that would be great. For me, that would be "luxury goes exploring". I have done the CDB program, and loved it, and don't mind paying for it, but that program was part of a coordinated spotlight on food and wine, and the whole ship got involved and it was great--more of that, please!

Oh, I think the cruiseline market is just like the real estate market, it keeps going up and up and up in price until in becomes ridiculous just like home prices did for years. We're just about to that point in the cruise business and people are slowly, but surly, making it known that "enough is enough". My opinion, for what it's worth, is that this market will crack just like all the rest of them do and we will see lots lower pricing and lots of whining from the cruise industry when the bottom falls out. There's way too much money in the cruise market for the company's to chance pricing themselves out of business.

Should I be thanking Boatman for explaining what this thread is suppose to be about?:confused: Thought we were trying to give some insight into what you are getting for your money on Regent (that is better than before). The comment about Regent increasing prices 2 1/2 years ago is interesting as we didn't notice it until late in 2007. Since you are a TA, do you have some simple statistics on luxury line increases for 2006, 2007,2008 (Regent, Silversea, Seabourn). I think it would be interesting.

Regarding the "stairs" into the pool. This is not a replacement to existing stairs. Some executive on a recent cruise felt the current stairs could be unsafe. . . they are doing some elaborate thing leading down into the swimming pool. The redesigns (putting on the coffee area on the Mariner, for instance) was also not a simple maintenance item. Regent (and other cruise lines) continually improve their ships (beyond software -- knew I shouldn't use that word). Even wi-fi on the ships is improved without much fanfare.

I agree that they raise prices because they can. It also would not surprise me to see the demand for luxury cruising bottom out next year. . . it should be interesting...

TC2 I sure hope the stairs are the walk-in kind. The ladder that is currently there.....makes it hard for those that are not so nimble anymore to get up and down it. Also, walk in stairs would allow little ones to sit on a step with a parent and splash in the water. That's hard to do with the way the entry is now into the pool. That to me would be a huge improovement but I'm wondering how they will do it without taking up a large portion of the pool.

Pat

When you pay 30% more, you expect the same if not better service and quality, etc. We've seen little things get cut here and there (number of options on the menu, few less things to do on sea days, etc.) and now they are cutting programs like Circles of Interest. Whether you liked these things or not, the problem is that many people were hooked in the good old days when they had some pretty decent specials and the service/quality was near luxury.

I am trying something new with my family and kids (4 adults plus 2 kids) this year - going in a suite on HAL for the same price as for 2 on Regent. Now I know that I will get flamed for even suggesting that HAL could be in the same "league" as Regent but maybe it won't be so bad. At least I can cruise more with the money I save!!! I work hard for my cruise dollars and want to be sure I get value. For me, Regent used to be a good value but not so sure anymore.

When you pay 30% more, you expect the same if not better service and quality, etc. We've seen little things get cut here and there (number of options on the menu, few less things to do on sea days, etc.) and now they are cutting programs like Circles of Interest. Whether you liked these things or not, the problem is that many people were hooked in the good old days when they had some pretty decent specials and the service/quality was near luxury.

I am trying something new with my family and kids (4 adults plus 2 kids) this year - going in a suite on HAL for the same price as for 2 on Regent. Now I know that I will get flamed for even suggesting that HAL could be in the same "league" as Regent but maybe it won't be so bad. At least I can cruise more with the money I save!!! I work hard for my cruise dollars and want to be sure I get value. For me, Regent used to be a good value but not so sure anymore.

Well, I sure won't flame you for going to Hal's suite. We had one of their aft balcony suites last year and it was wonderful. We were treated well, enjoyed the extra suite perks (there are several) and the wrap around balcony was massive as well as the cabin. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it and yes.....much cheaper.

Editing to add: I did a search in the old threads and Regent went all-inclusive for all ships January/07 and according to Mr. Conroy himself.......prices were raised since going all-inclusive 15%. I still noticed pricing going up before this on certain cruises or maybe it was because they just weren't offering all of the specials like they did in the past.

Pat

I think people are relying on "all inclusive" far too much to explain the rise in costs. Remember, before "all inclusive" wine was included at lunch and dinner as were cocktails in the dining room, and everyone got an in room setup. Now those in room setups have to be requested which means many do not, and therefore money is saved. So basically, the cocktails in bars and lounges have been added, hardly enough to justify the price increases. Regent, however, is far from alone in this regard. Silversea has just added a fare increase for 2009 cruises over and above the catalogues and website. I think the difference is that many Regent passengers got used to Raddisson being significantly less expensive that Silversea or Seabourn and now it no longer is, perhaps even more expensive. They no longer offer the same specials, something else many passengers took advantage of. Therefore the increases may be a bigger shock than with other lines.

Well, I sure won't flame you for going to Hal's suite. We had one of their aft balcony suites last year and it was wonderful. We were treated well, enjoyed the extra suite perks (there are several) and the wrap around balcony was massive as well as the cabin. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it and yes.....much cheaper.

Editing to add: I did a search in the old threads and Regent went all-inclusive for all ships January/07 and according to Mr. Conroy himself.......prices were raised since going all-inclusive 15%. I still noticed pricing going up before this on certain cruises or maybe it was because they just weren't offering all of the specials like they did in the past.

Pat

Starting with 2007 cruises, prices have been increasing around 10-15% per year! For example, the 2 weeks cruise to Norwegian fjords cost us around $5,000 PP (Cat H Navigator) in 2005, whereas in 2008 that same cruise is around $10,000 PP (Cat H Voyager),close to $1,500 per diem per couple . Granted, Cat H Navigator has no balcony, and in 2005 Regent was not fully all inclusive. But still, that's a huge increase in 3 years time for what is in essence the same cruise!

IMO, value is in the eye of the beholder. It's not so much if there is "value" anymore but if it gives you what you want in a vacation . And , of course, if you can afford it, you don't need a mathematical formula to calculate the "value".

I agree with wipro. I have an email from Mark Conroy from back in the fall of '03, stating that "all inclusive" would cost "Radisson" and additional $10 per day per guest. All inclusive was being discussed then as "Radisson's " ships were sailing about 1/2 full. We can't blame the fact that Radisson's/Regent's rates have doubled in the past five years on this.

Fuel costs and the declining value of the $USD on the world market is probably much to blame here. But this has impacted other lines, and you will still get value on Regent, on a cost/value comparison with the competition -- provided you shop for specials on all similar lines.

When I read the words..."the next level of service" I scratch my shaved head.

Service in the way of amenities on the ship...or the human factor?

The crew has always been attentive, gracious and ready to meet my needs. What more they could do is beyond me. I am just a hard working guy, I guess not a wealthy person like many on this board that expect over the top service...what ever that may translate to.

Perhaps many have servants at home that cater to every desire.....

Do I look for more when the rates go up....no. But I do not expect a lowering of the product provided.

Other cruise lines have not changed their "human" factor in the way of service, but provided less in what is included in the price. I have not seen Regent do that as of yet. Other lines....in order to keep prices from going up, they not only nickle and dime you, the 1,3 and 5 dollar you to death. you pay for food, water, coffee, exercise programs all to make money. Now its going to be a charge for cabana like deck seating; how that is going to go over in beyond me. I guess the next stage is daily rental fees for a deck chair. Thank heavens Regent doesn't nickle and dime.

Yes I see that Regent has gone up...but then luxury items across the board have gone up. Look at automobiles.....the only big changes have been in the way of electronics...yet the cost has gone up and up and up.

With ships getting so large, my guess is that the great increases in price comes down to exclusivity......those that can afford it will, those that don't wont.

I dont like the price increases either, but it means either I go less often or switch to a mass market pay for everything.

If Regent cuts back on food, staffing and upkeep of ships.....then I will switch lines.

I got a letter back in late '03 from Mark Conroy stating that the cost to Radisson per guest per day for "all inclusive" would be about $10. And ships were being periodically refurbished back in the days of low prices. So I don't think either of these factors are to blame for the high prices charged today.

Rather, I believe that the sharp price increases are due to the sharp increase in fuel costs, and the declining value of the $USD on the world market.

And for some reason that I can't explain, five or so years ago when fares were about 1/2 what they are now many Radisson ships were sailing only half full. Now, with doubled fares, most Regent ships sail full -- many with waiting lists.With this sort of demand for Regent cruises, I don't look for price breaks anytime soon.

Archived