End of an era as paper airline tickets dropped from June 1

Cuizer2

You will still be able to get paper tickets in the US under certain circumstances - It's the IATA countries that have stopped paper tickets and the US use ARC not IATA.

And then again .. why would anyone want to be bothered with a paper ticket ?????? We were laughing at the way the world works these days when we were at a charity auction event when the 24 hr check-in for our airline arrived .. hubby got out the Iphone and checked in right there.. It is becoming more and more convenient to book and check in online from pretty much anywhere..

And just for irony, I was issued a paper MCO last night for my involuntary downgrade compensation!

I did say to the agent that it was funny to be holding a valuable document again. I haven't had one of those for a long time.

I did say to the agent that it was funny to be holding a valuable document again. I haven't had one of those for a long time.

You haven't had a valuable document in a long time? :confused: When is payday?

I got writer's cramp handwriting a gazillion paper tickets when I was a TA back in 1978-79. Just as I left that occupation in late '79, travel agencies were just starting to acquire airline computerized res/ticketing systems.

I use direct deposit, so I don't get a check, just a paystub as a record. The "valuable" portion consists of data bits that fly off the server of my employer's bank onto the server of my bank.

I got writer's cramp handwriting a gazillion paper tickets when I was a TA back in 1978-79. Just as I left that occupation in late '79, travel agencies were just starting to acquire airline computerized res/ticketing systems.

I forgot about the ticket stock and the red carbon paper!! The TA would get it out of a safe, then she had to bear down hard to make sure all the pages were legible. I also recall they would imprint your credit card on the ticket by running it through the imprinting thing with the sliding press. :eek:

I use direct deposit, so I don't get a check, just a paystub as a record. The "valuable" portion consists of data bits that fly off the server of my employer's bank onto the server of my bank.

You forgot a couple of things:

1) The checks you write are documents. The amount of the check determines how valuable it is.

2) Money (aka greenbacks) are also "documents".

I forgot about the ticket stock and the red carbon paper!! The TA would get it out of a safe, then she had to bear down hard to make sure all the pages were legible. I also recall they would imprint your credit card on the ticket by running it through the imprinting thing with the sliding press. :eek:

We didn't imprint credit cards on the actual tickets, but instead "validated" the tickets with the "plate" of whichever airline the itinerary was originating on. The plates were credit card-sized, and each airline had their own logo plate.

You forgot a couple of things:

1) The checks you write are documents. The amount of the check determines how valuable it is.

2) Money (aka greenbacks) are also "documents".

Your original comment was about paychecks. In a sense, even checks and greenbacks have no value since they are a promise to pay; in a sense the value is only maintained as long as the promise is met...the real value is in the promise. (Sorry about digressing off the topic of this board.)

We didn't imprint credit cards on the actual tickets, but instead "validated" the tickets with the "plate" of whichever airline the itinerary was originating on. The plates were credit card-sized, and each airline had their own logo plate.

Thanks for that. I recalled the TA running tickets through the "kachunk-kachunk" imprinter and forgot it was the airline plate.

I wonder what are they going to do with the RTW tickets? or the tickets involved non-partner airlines?

My friend just recently made changes on his PAPER ticket issued by DL last July - it involved flying to Vietnam, btw. He was not making the trip after all, and the ticket was cancelled. Then he rebooked a $300ish domestic ticket on the value of this cancelled trip - it took 2 DL agents working 20 min - one called on the phone and the other worked on computer, to reissue the new ticket, and printed him 2 Vouchers - one is $5000 and the other $3300+. Apparently the maximum value a DL voucher can hold, is $5000. His original ticket was approx $8700.

If I am travelling on an itinerary involved non-partner airlines, I would want to have a paper ticket - in case the needs of endorsement arises... E-Tickets do not cut it if there are no partner agreements between airlines. I am sure there would be some stories to be told in coming months on this topic.

Ignoring the fact that we're talking about valuable documents in relation to travel ...

I don't get paid by cheque or by cash. I hardly ever write cheques - maybe a dozen a year. And I seldom use cash for transactions - they're almost always plastic. The main exception is for tiddly amounts under £5.

I wonder what are they going to do with the RTW tickets? or the tickets involved non-partner airlines?

If I am travelling on an itinerary involved non-partner airlines, I would want to have a paper ticket - in case the needs of endorsement arises... E-Tickets do not cut it if there are no partner agreements between airlines.

E-ticket interlining doesn't depend on partner agreements in the sense of alliance or codeshare relationships. It depends more on participation in IATA e-ticket interlining arrangements. And, of course, they're compulsory as from tomorrow.

There will be some non-IATA carriers who will operate differently. But these are a relatively small minority of carriers, and on many of them the question of interline ticketing never arises anyway. After all, on some of these airlines you can't even online: change plans = buy a second ticket.

RTW tickets in oneworld and Star Alliance are now limited to 16 sectors each.

I was recently issued two handwritten 20 segment RTW tickets at my local airport. There was only one person at AA who knew how to handwrite them and they had no ticket stock so it had to be flown in from another airport! Apparently it took her almost ten hours to write them!

E-ticket interlining doesn't depend on partner agreements in the sense of alliance or codeshare relationships. It depends more on participation in IATA e-ticket interlining arrangements. And, of course, they're compulsory as from tomorrow.

There will be some non-IATA carriers who will operate differently. But these are a relatively small minority of carriers, and on many of them the question of interline ticketing never arises anyway. After all, on some of these airlines you can't even online: change plans = buy a second ticket.

Is it because of the IATA change, now the maximum RTW segments are reduced from 20 to only 16, because e-tickets can only handle 16 segments? I also read about conflicting stories on the re-issuance of RTW tickets after travel started - whether the first 4 flown segments would be on the re-issued ticket or got dropped off...

RTW tickets in oneworld and Star Alliance are now limited to 16 sectors each.

I was recently issued two handwritten 20 segment RTW tickets at my local airport. There was only one person at AA who knew how to handwrite them and they had no ticket stock so it had to be flown in from another airport! Apparently it took her almost ten hours to write them!

Is it a DONE4? I can certainly understand how long it takes to write all 20 segments - and to make sure each segment has a complete set of copies. :p

What if you need to change the ticket after you have flown a few segments, whould the first 4 flown segments completely disappear when the e-ticket being re-issued? I heard the e-ticket can only handle 16 segments - may be that is the reason for the change (and a devaluation of the value.)

Ignoring the fact that we're talking about valuable documents in relation to travel ...

I don't get paid by cheque or by cash. I hardly ever write cheques - maybe a dozen a year. And I seldom use cash for transactions - they're almost always plastic. The main exception is for tiddly amounts under £5.

Well said, Globaliser!

In our household, we wish every transaction can be the plastic. Too bad our utility company FPL insists "cash" payment, though it takes online payment via ACH - therefore no check is needed. I think we write less than 10 checks a year - 4 each to the Condo for quarterly maintenance, another 4 to IRS for estimated tax payments, plus 1 final check to pay the balance still owed by Apr 15. I was thrilled our insurance company finally take online payment by CC. If IRS does not charge convenience fee for CC payment, I will do it pronto. :)

Plastic gives us 3 to 5% rebate, I dont see why we need to use other form of transaction if we can help it.

Is it a DONE4? I can certainly understand how long it takes to write all 20 segments - and to make sure each segment has a complete set of copies. :p

What if you need to change the ticket after you have flown a few segments, whould the first 4 flown segments completely disappear when the e-ticket being re-issued? I heard the e-ticket can only handle 16 segments - may be that is the reason for the change (and a devaluation of the value.)

Close. AONE4 ;)

I have already flown more than 4 segments and don't have any plans on getting changed so I guess I'm home and dry!

I have heard that the reason for the change is so they can all be issued as e-tickets. I can't remember where I read it but less than 5% of all RTW tickets are +16 segments.

Close. AONE4 ;)

I have already flown more than 4 segments and don't have any plans on getting changed so I guess I'm home and dry!

I have heard that the reason for the change is so they can all be issued as e-tickets. I can't remember where I read it but less than 5% of all RTW tickets are +16 segments.

I am very jealous!

Where was it originated? Care to share the itinerary and airlines involved?

It takes A LOT OF WORK to map out the maximum segments (and take FULL advantage of it).

I am very jealous!

Where was it originated? Care to share the itinerary and airlines involved?

It takes A LOT OF WORK to map out the maximum segments (and take FULL advantage of it).

You've got a personal message. (You would if this IBB allowed them!)

I'm not going to post the itinerary here but a bit of Google-age should give you some links to reports I've written. To those of you on here who know a little more about me I'd appreciate it if you didn't directly link them!

You've got a personal message. (You would if this IBB allowed them!)

I'm not going to post the itinerary here but a bit of Google-age should give you some links to reports I've written. To those of you on here who know a little more about me I'd appreciate it if you didn't directly link them!

If I have, I dont know where to look for the PM.

Thanks for the hint - I would go the google route.

Archived