Where do you put....

caitlyn20

I'm not too terribly new to cruising, but I'd like some suggestions from others for something that has always caused inconvenience for me.

The only thing I ever need to carry while going to dinner or walking around the ship are my room key and my id card. Sometimes for formal night If I need to touch up my makeup or fix my hair or anything else, my room is only a 5 minute walk away.

The problem is, almost none of my clothes have pockets in them, and especially not my formal wear. So, I end up taking my two items and sticking them under my plate at dinner or in my bra or wherever else I can think of. I don't want to carry a purse just to carry two little cards around. The cute little purses with the handles won't hang off of your chair, they are in the way on the table, they get kicked around under the table... The purses with a bit bigger carrying strap seem too unformal for my outfit.

I'm not going with a spouse, so handing my stuff to my husband to keep in his jacket pocket isn't an option. Anyone else have this problem?

Caitlyn, Hi:) I always sail solo and have 2 crocheted bags that usually go with most of my outfits at night...(other than my formal things...I have a very pretty black clutch for that). But the other 2 bags are easy to carry and they fold up to nothing for packing purposes. If the outfit happens to have pockets I will just put my room key in one......if not, I use those bags...one is beige, the other black.....

And I do use one of them most of the time.......for money if I want to gamble, a couple of tissues and my room key.

This isn't a very good option for evening when you're wearing dress clothes, but I usually put my room key card and ID in a plastic badge holder on a lanyard. Not the most chic thing to have around your neck at dinner though. Another option I've used is a little gadget you can get at those acessory stores in malls (I can't remember the name of the stores). Anyway, it's a little thing that slips over the edge of the table that has a hook for you to hang your handbag on. It is tiny and fits in your bag when not in use and has a mirror on it so you can get a peek at your lipstick with it too.

Well girls I just have to share this because I am so excited and since the subject has been brought up!!!

This cruise, for my Formal evening accessories I will be carrying my lipstick and room key in my new Judith Leiber Minaudiere.

Yes, I will carry it. Not my husband. And it will not be inconvienient at all because it is just magnificent!!

So my advice is get a magnificient purse and enjoy it!!!

Linda

I have two little crochet bags, too, for most nights. A black and a "natural" color. They go with everything and, like Lois said, fold up to nothing for packing. I also have a black and a silver (satin) for formal nights.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was really trying to avoid having to carry a purse/bag/clutch, but I guess I'll have to get myself something small that won't be in the way. Actually, I found a pattern for a little crocheted bag that I'm making in black. It'll work for the non-formal nights.

Ryansmemom/Linda,

A Judith Lieber huh? Wow!. I don't have one of their bags (yet) but I do have the book. My Mother has one of their bags and I keep asking her if she's tired of it yet, but for some reason, she's not. Darn it! <vbg>

Is your bag one of the animals?

Enjoy it!

Caitlyn - I think that perhaps a clutch is the best option. At least it lies flat on your lap, under your napkin. I know what you mean, there's never a place to put the purse and I don't want to put it on the floor. It's annoying.

Jane

On my last cruise, each of the women had a beautiful little tiny bag just big enough for cards, cash, and lipstick. We placed them on the table above our plates. They were so pretty and not in the way at all.

I had received a gift in a fabric drawstring bag. I'm sure you've probably seen them, folks sometimes use them for potpourri. It is just big enough for my sign and sail card, and a lipstick. I actually just stick it under my thigh on the chair. It's so thin, it doesn't bother me in the least, and the first thing I look for when dinner is thru is my lipstick, so I have never forgotten it (yet).

It would easily sit on the table inconspicuously if you're afraid of losing it on the chair.

I use a black leather cigarette case. It has a section in front where I stick my room key and a $20 bill in case I want to hit the slots. It's small and if I happen to have a pocket, it fits in easily. You wouldn't need to smoke to use one. It could hold lipstick, etc. It's not glamorous, but is convenient.

Ryansmemom/Linda,

A Judith Lieber huh? Wow!. I don't have one of their bags (yet) but I do have the book. My Mother has one of their bags and I keep asking her if she's tired of it yet, but for some reason, she's not. Darn it! <vbg>

Is your bag one of the animals?

Enjoy it!

Jane

Thank you so much Jane. It is not one of the animals. It is, however,a magnificant crystal encrusted rectangular handbag decorated in lovely flower patterns. It is, in my opinion, the most beautiful handbag I have ever seen. it is simply sumptious and a work of art. I had a wonderful time shopping for it at Saks Fifth Avenue. Shopping at Saks is an experience unto itself that I would recommend to all, even if you do not buy anything.

Emily, my three month old granddaughter stops crying when she sees the bag and is completly entranced. Her brother, 4 year old Ryan,asks me to take it out of the curio cabinet so he can play with it.

You know, you only go around once. I've gone to school, worked, raised my family, suffered irreversible damage to my health and body. I feel as though I deserve some rewards.

A little luxury really feels good. I think everyone should give it a try. :)

By the way, it is small. I plan to place it discreetly on the table where all can enjoy looking at it.:D

Linda

Linda,

Sounds LOVELY! I'm hoping to celebrate my third child's college graduation with the purchase of Lieber's luscious red lips. I'm looking at 2020 if all goes well! Of course, by then, I'll probably have to buy it at an antique store.

Cerinda

By the way, it is small. I plan to place it discreetly on the table where all can enjoy looking at it.:DLinda

I'm so out of the loop or uncultured or whatever, that I had to Google it to even see what you ladies were talking about. Guess most of the West Virginians I hang with have never shopped at Saks or get designer purses. Wait...I work with all men...hee hee.

Actually, I would have admired it but had no clue it was special. My girlfriend in San Francisco, she's always trying to educate me. I'm hopeless.

I agree with you...little "luxuries" are so worth it when you get that much joy out of them.

ryansmemom/linda - sounds beautiful! I looked up the Judith Lieber's online. You are right, they are a work of art! I'd be petrified that I'd walk off without it. I did that with my digital camera/case while playing bingo and the case had ALL of our cash in it. I decided to switch chairs. After about 10 minutes I panicked and ran through the lounge looking for my digital camera bag. Thank goodness it was still there - money and all!

Caitlyn:) , please don't feel that way.....not everyone is into those kind of accessories.....I know the name Judith Leiber but it is not something I would ever spend money on......(even if I had it to spend).

That is what makes us all different people in this big world~we all have different personalities, likes and dislikes.

Your "little luxuries" may come from something totally different!

Originally posted by Lois R "Caitlyn , please don't feel that way.....not everyone is into those kind of accessories.....I know the name Judith Leiber but it is not something I would ever spend money on......(even if I had it to spend).

That is what makes us all different people in this big world~we all have different personalities, likes and dislikes.

Your "little luxuries" may come from something totally different!"

Thanks everyone for sharing in my fun. That is one of the pleasures of this board. Sharing our little fashion finds, big or small. It's all part of the pleasure of cruising.

Thanks also for keeping it in perspective. After all, it is only fashion. The real luxuries in life are not handbags or clothes. The real luxuries are people. We need to cherish them, and their feelings.

Linda

. . .

Thanks everyone for sharing in my fun. That is one of the pleasures of this board. Sharing our little fashion finds, big or small. It's all part of the pleasure of cruising.

Thanks also for keeping it in perspective. After all, it is only fashion. The real luxuries in life are not handbags or clothes. The real luxuries are people. We need to cherish them, and their feelings.

Linda - you sound very humble - :)

- Caitlyn:) , please don't feel that way.....not everyone is into those kind of accessories.....I know the name Judith Leiber but it is not something I would ever spend money on......(even if I had it to spend).

Your "little luxuries" may come from something totally different!

Lois - I like the way you explained that.:)

Linda,

Your bag sounds gorgeous, enjoy!

And yes, we all deserve some luxuries in life and we all choose what those personal luxuries are. We should be able to post about them here without having to defend our choices. After all, it IS a fashion board.

Sak's is my favorite store and most of my clothes, shoes, etc....as well as my husband's things.....come from there. I feel lucky to live in NYC and Sak's is within walking distance from my home, so I'm there often even if I'm just looking to see what's new. *they also have the best sales! :-)*

I LOVE the story about how your grandkids enjoy your bag. What a hoot! Just don't let them touch it when it's out of your sight! <g>

I'm heading to Fla tomorrow to visit my Mother. Perhaps she'll let me borrow hers one night!

Jane

Archived