Princess eliminates Military Discount

bjkTX

Sorry if this was posted already - I searched and didn't see it.

I was checking a cruise on a web site I get email from every few weeks - and they have a place where you can check various discounts. I went to check the Military Discount and Princess didn't show up on the drop down menu so I went to the discount page for Military and they were no longer listed.

I emailed the person who sends the email and asked about it and I received a response this morning saying "Unfortunately Princess has discontinued their Military Discount program."

As a 30 year military guy I'll be very disappointed if this is true.

If this is true.

Shame on Princess.

Off topic. We RV a lot. And one place we go to is close to home. On the ocean. What a view and they KNOW it. So they started tacking on 40.00 per night with a 3 night minimum on holiday stays. When I looked at their holidays that they do this on? Veterans Day was there. I came unglued. How dare you people!!!!

I am not a vet. But thank you. Each and every one of you who are.

God bless YOU and the USA!!!!

Thanks for your service and again.

Shame on Princess.

I have never gotten a military discount on Princess or any other line for that matter. I know some of the cruise lines give discounts through the travel offices on military bases. The discounts I have seen off base are not that great. I can do better elsewhere. My DH is retired military having served 25+ years.

We are going on the CB later this summer. I tried to get a military discount and failed. One of the military travel agents that I spoke with said you never could get a military discount on Princess for a popular cruise that was selling well. It sounds like now they have abandoned it altogether.

As a military veteran myself, I could never understand why veterans feel they should be entitled to discounts on cruises, travel or anything else for that matter. Although I served in Vietnam during the days of the draft, there is no draft now and I would think the majority of current veterans served voluntarily. I appreciate and honor all veterans, but why would a foreign company give discounts to veterans? Every special discount given to any one group requires that everyone else pay more.

My interline agency still shows Princess cruises with a military rate; perhaps just OP's agency dropped their interline designation with Princess and the agent mis-spoke. I agree that Princess limits the military rate to specific sailings that are not selling well. Most listings are just a few months out.

As a military veteran myself, I could never understand why veterans feel they should be entitled to discounts on cruises, travel or anything else for that matter. Although I served in Vietnam during the days of the draft, there is no draft now and I would think the majority of current veterans served voluntarily. I appreciate and honor all veterans, but why would a foreign company give discounts to veterans? Every special discount given to any one group requires that everyone else pay more.

It's just a way to sell cabins. Theres other deals out there for seniors, past guests, interline, firefighters/police, groups, etc., etc. etc. It just could be that their ships are filling up and there's no need to presently offer such rates. Next year wil be a different story with the pricing going where it is. Who knows? It's a wait and see.......

Sorry if this was posted already - I searched and didn't see it.

I was checking a cruise on a web site I get email from every few weeks - and they have a place where you can check various discounts. I went to check the Military Discount and Princess didn't show up on the drop down menu so I went to the discount page for Military and they were no longer listed.

I emailed the person who sends the email and asked about it and I received a response this morning saying "Unfortunately Princess has discontinued their Military Discount program."

As a 30 year military guy I'll be very disappointed if this is true.

Do you have the link to the Princess news release on this. :)

I never concern myself about 'discounts', no matter what name they give to them. For me, it is about the bottom line price. Got a 'military' discount quote for my father, only to find a much, much lower price from an on line TA that was available for everyone...including vets, teachers, peace officers, nurses.....well you get the picture.

I agree the discount wasn't much on many of the cruises I checked, and I never used a Military Discount because I always found a better deal. But I did see some that were great bargains if you could go at that time. I also wouldn't argue that veteran's SHOULD get a discount. BUT if other groups such as teachers and nurses are offered them.....

And to the poster who asked if I had the official news release from princess - you can't even get them to say they had a discount, and if you call customer service and ask 4 people you'll get 4 different answers. I'll trust the agency that makes a living trying to sell cruises when they say princess no longer offers them - they would have no incentive to make that up and take them off their web site.

As a veteran I agree with you.

In my opinion it's the military spouse that makes the biggest fuss over such things and usually the one benefiting from it.

Case in point a while back one of our local theme parks was offering free admission to active duty military. Well guess who started whining and complaining that they were not included? THE WIVES! Their husbands were over in Iraq and the wives wanted to go to the theme park for free. How sad.

I might get bashed but so what. As a veteran I have seen the wrath of a military spouse who didn't get her way. :rolleyes:

But back on topic, it was nice of the cruise lines to do this but realistically they can't afford to continue to do this for everyone. Pretty soon all kinds of groups will be demanding a discount too.

Where does it stop?

Archived