Will a Seabourn lover be happy?

SusanNJ

My husband and I love Seabourn and wonder if we would be happy on Azmara. How does the food and service compare? Seabourn includes tips and all beverages. What about Azmara? What are the extras? Thanks.

You asked if you will be happy----we have been on 3 Seabourn cruises and complete our first Azamara in January '08---and are booked for the Quest in November '08. We were very happy---one major difference is the cabin size if you're not booked into a sky suite or better. We were in a sky suite but it still was smaller than the regular Seabourn cabin. The service and food were wonderful. The entertainment was the same kind of "boutique style". Tips and liquor were not included. It was an excellent value for the money, in my opinion. I liked the fact that the ship was smaller and it was able to get into smaller ports....and that the passengers were well traveled. I liked the "country club casual" attire and the fact that black tie was not required. This ship is about 3 times larger than the current Seabourn ships, and aims to be a more "up-scale" experience---I believe that Azamara is working hard to fullfill that goal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, SusanNJ......

makingpar anaylized the two very well. To add to this, I prefer the size of Aza over SB. The all-inclusive aspect of SB is tempting, but prices are really going up. Maybe that's because when I was on SB in March, it was caviar and champagne anytime, anywhere on the ship. Just call room service and have it delivered whever you are. That aspect and the premium liquor must be pretty expensive for SB. Aza Quest had great food, superb service and they mix a good drink. I'm booked on Aza Journey in January. Take care and have some fun today. Jini

I have sailed several cruise lines, and have found Celebrity to be our favorite.

With well traveled folks and a more mature crowd.

We have booked a transatlantic this fall on Azamara, because of the more relaxed country club atmosphere, we have to attend several black tie events at home and just really don't want to dress to the nines while cruising.

So we are hoping that Azamara will fill that cruise need for us.:)

Do these two lines appeal to the same passenger?

Seabourn is far more expensive and has not instituted Azamara's exemplary smoking-restricted policy onboard.

We are planning to book Azamara in the future, after we do some closer-to-home cruises on Celebrity and Crystal.

I have been on Celebrity, Seabourne, Crystal and now Azamara(this is my 2nd time)

I love Azamara for the dress code..non smoking and the wonderful people they attract..Crystal was wonderful BUT dining (at a set time) and formal wear really turned me off!

Leaving July 31 for Journey!!

Jancruz1

We have been on a couple of Silversea cruises which are similar to Seabourn but when we heard they eliminated caviar and downgraded a few other items (e.g. no more Moet, lesser wines) we looked into Azamara and decided that for the significantly lower price, we could deal with paying for drinks and tips separately. We are just back from the Mediterranean on Azamara. Yes, our cabin was somewhat smaller and it was a pain to sign for drinks each time we had one but the cruise was a good one anyway. In my opinion, the thing that was different on the two lines that most impacted me was the shuttle situation at certain ports. On Silversea, if the port was not convenient to the center of town, Silversea provided a free shuttle to a convenient point and made the transportation completely hassle-free which led to an enjoyable port experience. In sharp contrast, Azamara didn't have a clue about how to run shuttles. They said they were going to provide shuttles, then didn't, gave out misinformation about how to get into town in the absence of shuttles (putting us at the mercy of rapacious taxi drivers if we didn't sign up for Azamara's overpriced shore excursions) and the shuttles they did have were unreliable. Plus they charged rather a high price for their shuttles. It was so irritating we remained on board for two ports because of shuttle-related reasons; it just didn't seem to be worth the hassle for ports that didn't sound particularly spectacular.

Other than that, I was very happy with the cruise - the food, the service, the ship, the entertainment were quite good and close enough to the quality of Silversea that you probably would be happy.

I am an avid Seabourn passenger with many cruises under my belt (I have also sailed Silversea many times). I have never sailed Azamara but recently sailed Oceania for the first time. For me the question is not whether I was happy but whether I was satisfied. I was. Taking into consideration the price difference it is a satisfactory alternative. But the honest truth is I missed Seabourn a lot. The service, the food are on an altogether different level. The atmosphere, the fellow passengers, never having to sign for anything make for a different experience. Would I sail Oceania again, or try Azamara? Yes, under the right circumstances. You have to board with different expectations and you might even be happy.

My husband and I love Seabourn and wonder if we would be happy on Azmara. How does the food and service compare? Seabourn includes tips and all beverages. What about Azmara? What are the extras? Thanks.

Hi Susan !

While I have not sailed with Seabourn, I can tell you that we enjoyed Azamara very much. If you are looking for a Cruise with excellent food, outstanding service, and a very relaxed atmosphere, I feel that Azamara does a great job. I truly do not feel you would go wrong by giving them strong consideration.

Whatever line you ultimately choose, I hope you have a great Cruise !

Hi Susan !

While I have not sailed with Seabourn, I can tell you that we enjoyed Azamara very much. If you are looking for a Cruise with excellent food, outstanding service, and a very relaxed atmosphere, I feel that Azamara does a great job. I truly do not feel you would go wrong by giving them strong consideration.

Whatever line you ultimately choose, I hope you have a great Cruise !

The best cruise Stu and I ever took was on Seabourn..but one has to realize for the price there is a huge difference..I for one can live with it and take 2 cruises instead of 1 for the same price..the other difference is the people..I love the people on Azamara..fun and definitely not stuffy!!!

Jancruz1

Archived