River Cruise Budapest in early NOV? How cold is it?

LewiLewi

We are considering a river cruise on the Danube in early Nov. MS Royal looks like a beautiful ship and the price is right. But, the weather forecasts say the average temp. is in the 40's. Has anyone been there at this time? How cold is it??

Thanks in advance.

We are considering a river cruise on the Danube in early Nov. MS Royal looks like a beautiful ship and the price is right. But, the weather forecasts say the average temp. is in the 40's. Has anyone been there at this time? How cold is it??

Thanks in advance.

We were in Italy last November & highs were in the 50's & low 60's. I assume Budapest would be cooler.

I was in Prague the first week of Nov. and it was rather chilly. By that, I mean a cap felt good (I ended up buying one) --gloves, too. I lived in MN then and now I live in FL, so I'd really think it was cold.

Thanks in advance.

Depends whether you go upstream into Germany or downstream into the Balkans. We found our 10/11 to 10/25 Black Sea Discovery cruise comfortable with a jacket. Going North could get chilly.

On the other hand every year is different. In 12/06 we went up the Danube from Budapest on a Christmas Markets cruise. It was in the 50's the first day in Budapest but it got cold by the time we got to Prague.

Here's a link to photos of both trips:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski

WIT

I was curious about the weather and temps in early Nov also as we are taking River Cruise north from Budapest over to Trier then on to Paris. I am assuming it will be chilly to cold, a little rainy and maybe even snow flurries. We are all wearing layers and only wearing wool slacks/sweaters to dinner, rest is jeans and walking shoes. I am taking hats/gloves/scarfs and even leg warmers to put on over lower legs if it gets really cold rather than try to wear extra underwear. I probably will carry my heaviest coat on the plane and pack 2-3 others of various weights. I am assuming for the tours we will be in/out of buildings and buses and only really have to worry about the rest of the days when exploring the cities. We will be in Budapest on 10/30 and arrive in Paris 11/16 for a week.

Lynne

Weather in November in most parts of Europe is really "iffy". Here in southern Switzerland it can range from 5C to 15C - I think 5C is around 40F and 15C is about 60F. Not sure. Anyway, at 5C you need gloves, hat and a really windproof jacket/coat. 15C, in the sun, you are really comfortable in a sweater.

We were in Budapest two years ago in mid October. It was sunny and around 15C - so very nice for sightseeing and we were not cold at all. On the other hand we were on the Elbe last October and we had some rain and around 12C and we needed jackets and umbrellas. The weather is changing in November and the days are really getting short. Budapest is, if I am not mistaken, on the eastern end of its time zone (CET) and so the sun will come up earlier and I suppose set earlier. I think any river cruise in Europe in Nov means that you need to think "layers" and include a scarf and gloves "in case". And definitely an umbrella.

LewiLewi

We went from Vienna to Amsterdam the end of October and the first week of November last year. The weather generally was cool and overcast. 40's and 50's were common! We had jackets (waterproof) and sweaters; layers are required! The wind did come up a few times. Gloves and hats did add to the comfort level. Nevertheless, a fabulous trip! You will enjoy it.

Thanks in advance.

No one can say what the weather will be like, average temeratures are what they say.

Early part of November we could have a late Indian summer with temperatures up around 55°F - 60°F or at freezing point and snow. I would follow the advice of other members, the secret lies in layers of clothing that you can put on ot take off as the case may be. Thick, heavy and bulky coats will not be required (maybe in January or February).

Ron

Thank you all for the information. We live in sunny Florida and I'm afraid that we will feel the cold more than others. We will probably try to book the trip in a warmer season, but of course the price will definitely be more expensive.

Thank you all for the information. We live in sunny Florida and I'm afraid that we will feel the cold more than others. We will probably try to book the trip in a warmer season, but of course the price will definitely be more expensive.

I think you're wise to change to a different timeframe. In 2001 I was originally scheduled to fly to Budapest on November 3rd, but with 9/11 and then Swissair filing for bankruptcy protection, they weren't sure they would still be flying, so they let me change my ticket to mid-October. It was downright cold in the mornings and rainy. I flew home on October 31st and on November 3rd, the day I was originally supposed to arrive, they had snow in Budapest.

I'm from Southern California and I really felt the cold there. Now on the other hand, I went back in 2006 and chose May (thinking I would beat the summer heat), but we landed at 7:30 pm and it was 98 degrees. I have no idea what the humidity was, but we had 5 terrible days of heat and humidity before a nice storm came in and cooled things off. So you take your chances whenever or wherever you travel, no-one can predict the wather. All we can do is try to plan as best we can.

This is an awesome website I found of a licensed guide in Budapest. She is so knowledgeable and friendly too. Even if you aren't interested in hiring a guide, her website is filled with information.

http://www.tourguide.hu/review.htm

Have fun planning, then taking your trip. Hungary is beautiful and Budapest is truly an amazing city.

Archived