Celebrity Infinity was FILTHY

boobearzoo

You know we (my bride and I) were discussing this thread this morning. We decided that this thread was actually started by someone from Cruise Critic just to get us all to run up some posts. :p To liven the boards up so to speak.

Those of you who are new to Cruise Critic should always realize that someone with absolutely no prior posts who posts something like this is either just trying to get some people excited or someone with a particular axe to grind.

We have been on Infinity six times in the last four years and have never found any of this to be true. It is our home away from home and we can't wait to board her again in August. We know everything will be just fine.

I had been waiting to confirm some of the issues my sisters had on the Infinity and finally they arrived, thus my rationale to verify what they experienced while on the May 23d sailing.... they were not pleased to say the least in many areas of the ship....

While the 1st post of the OP may be a less than valid or an exaggerated claim, it does bring to surface others that had some issues about their sailing aboard the Infinity and I for one am always looking for the good and the bad reports just as I believe others do to make an educated decision on whether or not to will sail on any particuliar ship, regardless of cruiseline. :D

It may be your home away from home, but certainly will not be my families in the future !

Yes, all complaints were addressed to the appropriate departments for correction.... they were provided with a complimentary bottle of champagne for the problems along with an apology letter. While they appreciated the champagne, they were not looking for any type of gift when adressing the issues, however where grateful for the gesture from Celebrity.

What is this "Awards" thing? Never had on any of my cruises? Who is the current cruise director? Maybe this is his or her new idea?

This was something that they said they started a couple of months ago. It was called the "Starring You" awards. They recognized people in categories like Best Karaoke Performance, Best Dancing Couple, Best Team Trivia Score, Best Polar Bear, etc.

The awards took place on the second-to-last night of the cruise, and had "red carpet" interviews with the Activities Manager (Esperanza) and culminated in an Oscar's style award presentation show.

Our Cruise Director was Jeff Potts. I think he did a darn good job. He always did a little mic spin move after he was done talking on handheld mics. Fun times.

Is the Infinity due to be dry docked soon? If not, when was the last time she was dry-docked? We are on her for a South America Cruise on 14/09. Thanks in advance.

It is my understanding that the Infinity is to dry dock after our Panama Canal cruise, leaving Oct 19. I am very, very concerned if they are "letting her go" while waiting for the dry dock. Also, I am concerned about the comments on the food. We have cruised twice on the Constellation, once on the Summit and once on the Mercury. Everything on the Constellation and the Summit was great!! I hope we will not be disappointed with the Infinity. We will definitely notify housekeeping if our room, etc. is "filthy" or mold is in the bathroom. Ugh!!

We have spent over 100 fabulous nights on various Celebrity ships sailing to the Caribbean, Bermdua, Alaska, and Hawaii. I have never paid a bit of attention to the carpet, rails, mirrors, bedpreads, and the like.

For gosh sakes, it's a boat, not an operating room.

What ever got people thinking that their primary mission on a cruise is to inspect the ship? Many folks act like restaurant and hotel critics.

We would much rather spend our time focusing on the big picture-the sun, wind, sea, ports of call, and all those other things that make cruising special and unique.

Sure, if something is so flagrantly out of line as to pose a health or safety risk, it needs to be addressed, and I am sure that Celebrity (and every other line) would do so effectively. Otherwise, don't sweat the small stuff.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

PS, Brent Nixon is spectacular.

We were on the Infinity in August 2006 for a family reunion cruise to Alaska. I was the "point person" who organized the reunion cruise and so I had made the decision for us all to go on Celebrity (a first for all 16 of us). When I first stepped into my stateroom, my heart sank because I saw stains on the carpet and sofa, and the bedspread looked a bit dingy. For a brief moment I wondered whether I had made a bad choice. But I can honestly say that after that initial 2 minutes, I never paid anymore attention to those details. I was far too busy enjoying the cruise and having a good time to bother thinking about such things.

--Junglejane (flying to Venice on Saturday for our Summit cruise!!!!)

Is the Infinity due to be dry docked soon? If not, when was the last time she was dry-docked? We are on her for a South America Cruise on 14/09. Thanks in advance.

The Infinity was in drydock less than a year ago.

We were on a 14 night Hawaii cruise in April/May, 2007. A week or so after we disembarked, the Infinity went into drydock before she started the Alaska season. The drydock was primarily to correct a "pod" problem but they always give the ship a proper scrubbing when in drydock.

I tend to discount these "everything was horrible" posts as much as I take the "everything was great" posts with a grain of salt.

Go to the reviews section on Cruise Critic and read some of the recent Infinity reviews to get an overall feeling.

Les

My DD and I just got back from this sailing. The ship seemed to be in good shape, never noticed any dirty or torn carpets, and we did a lot of walking around. The food in the buffet was the right temperature when it was served, but due to the cold weather it seemed harder to find a spot to eat indoors, so the food did cool down some by the time we sat down.

The windows outside the glass elevators was not perfectly clean, but really-it was drizzling on many days, and we did have a few day of rough seas.

The service was excellent in the dining room, our room steward was good. Our CC room was clean with the exception of the desk area- when we first got in, it looked dirty, but after wiping it down, I realized it was just water stained.

All in all we had a wonderful time, and also enjoyed the Awards Show, since my DD performed. While she did not win, she had fun doing Karaoke. The AD said that the Awards had started just a few weeks ago and would be going fleet wide soon.

There seemed to be a lot more trivia games this sailing than I remember from other sailings, but only two of them counted towards team trivia- we lost to Tommusic and his great team by two points the first time, and tied them the second- they were totally amazing in all of the games they did play! DD and I brought home a bag full of pens, lanyards and luggage tags from playing trivia. And unfortunately the Battle of the Sexes was won by the MEN.

There were a lot of really nice people on this cruise, and we are looking forward to the next Celebrity sailing.

We were on the Infinity for the Valparasio to FLL repo this spring. Only thing we noticed besides the wonderful aft balcony off our CC cabin was fewer staff in the buffet area around lunch. Several wine stewards were circulating but getting refills on coffee, teas, juices, etc., was impossible. Same with help with my tray, I use a wheelchair, while my husband tried to do everything. The food did get a bit cold but it started out hot. The rest of the ship, food, especially in the SS United States, and service was great.

Yes, all complaints were addressed to the appropriate departments for correction.... they were provided with a complimentary bottle of champagne for the problems along with an apology letter. While they appreciated the champagne, they were not looking for any type of gift when adressing the issues, however where grateful for the gesture from Celebrity.

That is good to hear. Glad they were responsive and apologetic.

It's nice to hear the SECOND part of the story...you know, the part where the cruise line takes care of problem and does the right thing...seems like you often have to drag it out of the poster....they'd often rather only tell about the complaint part....not the easy resolution...anyway.....:cool:

For gosh sakes, it's a boat, not an operating room.

Love your attitude!

So surprised to read that the Infinity was "filthy" Just can't seem to picture that on Infinity or any Celebrity ship for that matter. I do know that the Chief Housekeeper who had been on Infinity for years left Celebrity last October. One would hope that his replacement is as competent as he was. When I was last on Infinity (2006) she sparkled !!!!

I just returned from the Alaska trip on Celebrity Infinity May 30-June 6. The ship was discusting. They NEVER cleaned the glass elevator doors, handrails, windows NOTHING. The tables in the grill were always dirty. The carpeting was torn or very warn. I was so dissappointed to see this. I have sailed with them before and never remember this. The service in the dining room was slow. The guy who was in charge of our section for drinks came around as sinner was almost over. Our sliding door in our CONCIERGE CLASS room had more hand prints than you could imagine. The mirror had a hand print on it that was not ours, it was there when we walked in. There was rust on the bathroom floor and the vanity was all stained. I will NEVER sail with Celebrity again. When we were in the ports the other ships had people cleaning the outside windows and such but not ours!!!!!! The food was fair. Breakfast buffet was always ice cold. Soup served in dining room was cold ( and no it was not a chilled soup LOL) . The coffee was absolutely hideous! When we got to port we went and got coffee and the woman in the store said everyone who came off our ship was saying the same thing. Celebrity went down quite a few notches in my book! The one GREAT thing was the Captain got us 3/10th of a mile away from the glacier!!!!!!

Totally agree with the coffee issue but that is universal for all Xers. Was on the Infinity March 31 and was as happy as ever on this ship. Did not see the same issues. People were always cleaning the elevators glass etc. Food was well prepared and never cold. Not the same quality or choices as previous years but all cruise ships are suffering the profit squeeze. Perhaps a more luxurious cruise might be better for you. You spoke of going down a few notches in your book. I assume you have taken at least one other cruise with X. Get back on the board and tell us of that experience.

I dont think anyone else has said it, so allow me to be the first...

I see the Celebrity cheerleaders are out in force defending their cruise line that can 'do no wrong no matter what !....'

:D :D :D

ps. Foir those that don't know, or are puzzled by my comments, they were meant in jest and sarcasm.

Enjoy your cruises!

I was on Infinity May 16 - 23. While I do recall thinking she was a bit worn (carpet and couches in my room), I never thought the ship was filthy. Sorry to hear the OP had such a disappointing cruise. I hope others are not scared away forever though.

We got good service throughout both in our room and at dinner (early seating). In all honesty, I didn't feel as pampered as I did on Millie in 2006, nor did I feel the ship was quite as nice. But I did have a great cruise and would certainly sail with Celebrity (even Infinity) again.

Oh, and the breakfast was never cold (unless the food was supposed to be), but the scrambled eggs were horrible. : )

All scrambled eggs, everywhere are horrible.:p

I had been waiting to confirm some of the issues my sisters had on the Infinity and finally they arrived, thus my rationale to verify what they experienced while on the May 23d sailing.... they were not pleased to say the least in many areas of the ship....

While the 1st post of the OP may be a less than valid or an exaggerated claim, it does bring to surface others that had some issues about their sailing aboard the Infinity and I for one am always looking for the good and the bad reports just as I believe others do to make an educated decision on whether or not to will sail on any particuliar ship, regardless of cruiseline. :D

It may be your home away from home, but certainly will not be my families in the future !

I have read hundreds of reviews and ones like the first poster wrote I completly disregard. Everything was bad? Give me a break! The food was always cold? Please! When all someone can talk about is the negative about a cruise I stop reading it. I have had problems on ships before but bringing it to the attention of management solved the problems. I have no idea why someone who has never posted before comes on and posts a review of this nature. They never joined pre cruise and asked a few questions but took the time to join now and rant about how bad it was, sorry but I am not buying it!

While I understand your point and agree partially with your thoughts... many times someone will NOT become a member of CC and merely come to the site and read reviews, posts, etc......membership is not required to just read the boards :D

I only added comments provided to me based on a family members personal experience aboard the ship recently. This family member is by no means a chronic whiner and complainer, just provided me with her observations.

I dont think anyone else has said it, so allow me to be the first...

I see the Celebrity cheerleaders are out in force defending their cruise line that can 'do no wrong no matter what !....

Enjoy your cruises!

My cruise line right or wrong, love it or leave it ;)

At least until a better deal comes along... :eek:

arg-x-50.gif.5afdfe2a0d8dff9cff9dcffb12c66dd7.gif

Okay, I admit that I didn't read all the posts but...

We were on the Infinity May 23 to May 30, 2008 and it was in great shape! Very clean and well maintained. We only took the elevators twice so I don't really know about them, but the rest of the ship looked great. At least in our opinion.

We'll faint if the ship is in the condition OP reported. Sounds like a competitor trying to drum up business. As far as the coffee is concerned, we have never had good coffee on any cruise ship. I would assume the "yacht style" small ships may be different.

We sail Infinity next week. We'll report when we return.

Archived