Can't decide! Solstice New Years or QM2 10 day?

marinearchit

QM2 10 days or Solstice New Years?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. QM2 10 days or Solstice New Years?

• QM2
    • Solstice

We are currently booked on the Solstice for New Years 2009-2010. But, today I found a 10 day out of NYC to the Caribbean on QM2 for a slightly lower price.

I really need some input on what to do!:eek:

Solstice we are booked in a Veranda (basic). The itinerary is Ft.Lauderdale-At Sea-San Juan-St.Maarten-Tortola-Labadee-At Sea-Ft.Lauderdale.

We love Celebrity and I've followed the Solstice's construction and would love to experience the ship...especially on New Years!

On the other hand, I've also followed QM2 since conception and would love to experience the ship. And I'd have a whole 10 days to do it, rather than 7 on Solstice. I've also always been interested (borderline obsessed) with Cunard.

On QM2 we would have a sheltered balcony and depart on December 10. The itinerary: NYC-At Sea x2-St.Maarten-Barbados-Grenada-St.Lucia-At Sea x2-NYC. Also, for QM2 we wouldn't have to pay for airfare or a hotel since we can drive to the port. Not to mention, we'd save a few hundred dollars on the cruise itself. I would, however, miss more school on QM2.

Both, in reality, are dream cruises. Since this would be our last family trip before I head off to college (I'll be in my junior year and we aren't doing anything senior year), we want to make the right choice.

Formality doesn't bother me and I don't mind if there's not a lot of teenagers my age (I'll be 17 on either one). On Century there was only 7 of us in all and I actually prefered it since we all knew eachother.

Please tell me what you guys think.

On the QM2 you may be the only teenager! Although is it a lovely ship, my vote goes with the brand new Celebrity Solstice for the New Year's cruise. The other thing to think about is the condition of the seas cruising from NYC. With the initial 2 days at sea, you will not use a balcony and will be confined inside.

Good luck with the decision you and your family make.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Solstice is still an unknown but having been on 25 Celebrity cruises and a QM2 transatlantic, it's a no-brainer: Solstice!

The QM2's sun decks have absolutely no shade with a few extremely unappealing and small pools. In fact, my partner and I used to joke about how awful it would be to take a Caribbean cruise on this poorly designed ship.

Do not believe all of Cunard's brochures and ads - there is precious little glamour on QM2 and the cheap fit and finish of the interiors would astonish most Celebrity and RCI cruisers.

While again we must rely on Celebrity press releases and deck plans, Solstice's contemporary and "W"-like designs look extremely appealing.

We visited a friend in their sheltered veranda on QM2 and found it to be almost depressing - while they protect you (sort-of) from the rain, the all-metal ballustrade almost completely blocks the light from the cabin.

OK Cunard freaks - feel free to gang up on me!

Oh, and by-the-way: have a great trip!

We sailed Mercury for New Year's Eve in 2003 and had a BLAST! We're booked for NYE on Solstice this year, and can't wait. Being on a New Year's cruise is just special - not only because 12/31 is our wedding anniversary, but the entire cruise feels like a week long party - more so than any other cruise. The QM2 is just a little stuffy for me, but if the length of the cruise is what you're looking for, 10 days is your best bet.

Have fun, whatever you decide.

I would go on the solstice~

I'm going to be 16 1/2 on that cruise and I have a friends who are going to be 14, 14, 16 and 17.

so, i know that you said that you don't care about the amount of kids but i have a feeling that the solstice will be more fun!

ive never been on the QM2 before but i have known people who have gone on it over the holiday season and hated it.

goo Solstice!!

Here goes my 2 cents. We did the QM2 that you are talking about this past Feb. We have done Celebrity many times however always wanted to

do a cunard. We love the Carribean and go every year.

I will give you a few pros and cons.

First the cons

The food did not compare to Celebrity (any of the ships)

The 10 day cruise you can take at least 2 days off of Sun because after leavening NY you are in the cold for at least 1 1/2 days so you loose the

sun time. This may not bother some it bothered us we wanted warmth!

The majority of the people on board were elderly really elderly. this again

may not bother you.

The pools are small.

I thought the whole food experience on the ship was a disaster and very

disorganized.

Remeber this ship was built to go back and forth across the pond.

Much much more formal than any other ship we have been on however

we knew that going into this trip so we were prepared.

The pros

It was a beautiful ship.

It was huge.

I loved going to the tea.

The Spa was very nice.

I am glad I went however We are back on Celebrity in Sept to Alaska.

If you want to be on it to see what its like I say go for it however go into

it knowing what it is gonig to be like and you will not be disappointed.

I was pretty disappointed but glad I went because I wanted to experience

the ship.

Good luck with your decision.

If you have any questions let me know.

Pat

Cruisininfinity,

We're the same age, so since you're on the upcoming Solstice NYE cruise, you'll have to tell me what you think. It'd be great to hear.

Shopinpat,

The warmth factor doesn't bother us since we would still have a majority of the cruise in the Caribbean. Also, the colds not bad since we really just need a balcony so my mom can walk out onto something from our room and see the ocean.

When you say the pax were mostly very elderly. Do you mean they were just generally older, or there were a lot of walkers (hence slow movement) throughout the public rooms?

Where there any teenagers (16,17,18 range) onboard?

For a ship buff, would you recommend the cruise?

To everyone else, many thanks for the replies!

Every cruise we've taken on Celebrity has been more enjoyable than the one we took on Queen Mary. I'd definitely recommend Solstice.

Did you go transatlantic on the QM2? What specifically did you not like about your cruise? What type of cabin did you have? Never been on Cunard so trying to learn from those (like me) who enjoy Celebrity. Thanks.

we have a great group going on S9olstice for NYE. yuo will have 3 days at sea plus no Tortola, you get to eat dinner in Sj which is great.

plus you will not be using the blacony or pool until you get past FL. I would be so bored at sea noit having a pool.

yes, NYE is expensive o nthe ship but we have parties planned already. come paly with us. we even have tshirts you can buy now. check out both RC's and get the vive of the people and then decide

also we have other kids going who's parents are o nthe RC

to all the kids sailing NYE please join the RC.. at any time

Marinearchit,

Sorry for the delay was away for a few days.

So, to answer your questions. First of all I saw one child the entire time we were on the ship. No teenagers at all. However we do plan our winter

vacations around times when we hope there will not be a lot of children.

Our choice!

As for the elderly, they were somewhat slow all the time however this is a big big ship so you can usually navigate around them.

We had an unobstructed balcony and it was nice. Not as nice as celebrity but nice. I thought the room was much smaller and not a lot of good use

of space.

Now for ship buffs. This ship is beautiful, big and amazing to look at next to other ships. There is a lot of history on this ship and it is interesting. The astronomy show was interesting the first time then people were sleeping. It is narrated by Robert Redford. If you are a ship buff I think you will love it.

It is really far to walk anywhere so you do get your exercise in daily.

Any other questions please ask.

Archived