When are Yellow Fever vaccines necessary?

Luvcrusin'

I just saw your posting indicating that you had bad side effects after getting the yellow fever shots. Can you tell me what your symptoms were and how long your reaction lasted? I got mine 21 days ago and still have a low grade fever and areas on my arms and arm pits that are sore (sensitive) to touch. Just wanted to compare.

I had very high fever and intense shivers/shaking for several hours. The doctor told me that it was a reaction and would go away within a few hours. It lasted about four hours and then I just felt really lousy, tired and out of it for about a day. It was very unpleasant and scary at the time.

I am not a doctor and I do not play one at CC, but if I had symptoms from a vaccine 21 days later, I would be talking to my doctor, like 20 days ago!;)

I did a quick search and found this link.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5144a1.htm

Good luck!

jc

Thanks for the information. I went to a doctor yesterday and was told to take it easy and "ride it out". Called the international travel doctor and she will not be in until Monday:( I got my fever down with Tylenol but things are not right yet.

I'll ask you again, you ignored my previous post on another thread, but why would Peru require a YF cert for people that had visited Brazil? It is definitely not a current requirement. If you have better info, please post it. We visited Brazil earlier this tear and will be visitin Peru in April, 2009. If you have info that will affect our visit, I'd really appreciate you telling me.

YF shots are required if you plan to visit Cuzco and Machu Picchu in Peru.

Not unless it's changed very recently. No vaccinations are required for entry into Peru. YF shots are strongly suggested for trips to the Amazon. Both the CDC and the Pan American Health Organization state that there is a high risk of malaria and YF in all departments with the exception of Arequipa, Moquegua, Puno and Tacua. Lima and the highland tourist areas (Cusco, Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca) are not at risk.

Sorry, I missed your post. The short answer-because there is Yellow fever in Brazil, with a recent widely publicised outbreak. There is also Yellow Fever in Peru (in the jungles). So Peru wants no more exposure to Yellow Fever than they already have.

And here is where it gets tricky-where EXACTLY is the endemic area in Brazil??? And I mean EXACTLY-not a colored area on a map without distinct boundaries. And what immigration officer in Peru is going to determine EXACTLY where the endemic area of Brazil is??? Are you going to get the person who speaks decent English and understands the concept of "endemic" area (you were "only in Rio"). Or is that officer looking at the entire country of Brazil as a Yellow Fever hot spot (and there have been quite a few local SA news reports about the YF outbreak in Brazil). Are you really going to get into an argument with an immigration officer, especially one who may not speak very good English (unless your Spanish is fluent)???

I am always asked for the cert, but there again, I have a LOT of SA stamps-mostly Chile and Peru, but also quite a few from Ecuador and Columbia, as well as SE Asia. And of course, those prominent Brazil visa's.

I have seen lots of backpackers asked for the YF cert. Most of them have been working their way around SA-hitting both endemic and "border only" areas.

Your choice. IF you can medically tolerate it (or get the waiver/exemption), I see no reason NOT to get it. Who knows when that dream trip to the jungles of Brazil/Peru or up the Mekong in SE Asia just pops up at too good a price to pass up??? Be a shame to miss it for a vaccination. PLUS you are not going to get Yellow Fever, which should be a bonus.

First of all, thank you -- your posts are always filled with great information. I appreciate that you take the time to post.

Now, back to me & my questions (lol)...On your Yellow Card, do you only have the YF vaccination listed? I recently got the 2 Hep A vaccines and I'm wondering if I should get them listed on the yellow card as well? How about tetanus? I have not gotten the YF vac. yet -- my trip is in December. Once I do that, would you recommend trying to have these other vac's listed?

This is all very confusing. I read through the CDC summaries of the VFI requirements, country by country, in South America. Unless you are going into risk related areas, there is no requirements for VFI. Is all this talk spreading fear or has anyone had personal experiences? Any suggestions on how to cement this question in place?

First of all, thank you -- your posts are always filled with great information. I appreciate that you take the time to post.

Now, back to me & my questions (lol)...On your Yellow Card, do you only have the YF vaccination listed? I recently got the 2 Hep A vaccines and I'm wondering if I should get them listed on the yellow card as well? How about tetanus? I have not gotten the YF vac. yet -- my trip is in December. Once I do that, would you recommend trying to have these other vac's listed?

All vaccinations SHOULD be listed. Mine are, as well as the dose/vaccine #.

Not unless it's changed very recently. No vaccinations are required for entry into Peru. YF shots are strongly suggested for trips to the Amazon. Both the CDC and the Pan American Health Organization state that there is a high risk of malaria and YF in all departments with the exception of Arequipa, Moquegua, Puno and Tacua. Lima and the highland tourist areas (Cusco, Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca) are not at risk.

The previous poster, bluesea777, is from BERMUDA. YF is REQUIRED for most areas of SA when you are entering as a resident from the Caribbean (with other than a USA passport).

I really don't know why you keep hashing this over and over. You GOT the shot. You are covered in case they ask for it. You don't have to worry about being sent out of the country as long as you have your yellow card properly filled out.

This is all very confusing. I read through the CDC summaries of the VFI requirements, country by country, in South America. Unless you are going into risk related areas, there is no requirements for VFI. Is all this talk spreading fear or has anyone had personal experiences? Any suggestions on how to cement this question in place?

It IS confusing. With the recent Yellow fever outbreak in SA which has spread to areas that have not seen yellow fever for YEARS, immigration officers are checking more often and are denying entry for some. Will you be denied entry-it truly depends on the immigration officer. CDC is NOT the "determiner" of whether you will be allowed entry to a specific country. CDC INTERPRETS rules from other countries and tries to post information. But just as our rules change, other countries change their rules too. And the FINAL determination is made by the immigration officer of a particular country when you are trying to enter their country.

IMHO, unless you have a medical reason NOT to get the shot, you are covering all your bases for future travels and entry into various countries when the rules may change or the immigration officer interprets "endemic" areas to include more than what is shown on a map.

IF you have a medical reason NOT to have the shot, get your doctor to fill out the exemption waiver or write a letter on letterhead, go to the health dept and have them verify and endorse the waiver and attach the letter. You have covered ALL your bases. IMHO, MUCH better to be safe than sorry when traveling in foreign countries with different language and customs. Are you REALLY going to try to argue "endemic area" in a foreign language on foreign soil??????

PS-I have personally seen people denied entry in China, Vietnam, Peru and Panama. MOST were backpackers where were traveling around various countries. But DH's best friend was just denied entry into China BECAUSE he didn't have his YF vaccination record. He and his wife had to go back to Hong Kong and either get the shots or produce the vaccination record. We FedEx'd it to Hong Kong and they made it to the Olympics-3 days of their trip was spent in Hong Kong and NOT Beijing. AND it cost them almost $1200 to go back to Hong Kong from Beijing and return-air tickets, hotels, food, etc. ALL for LACK of the little yellow card.

Good to know as we plan to go to Argentina/Brazil Iguazu in February and maybe Cuzco and Machu Picchu in July (although putting it together with air for 3 persons is not easy if not using a tour company - which we have never used with the exception of a 2 night package in Costa Rica to see sea turtles).

My question is in the timing. When should we get shots for next February? How long do they last? What is the cost as I assume insurance would not pay?

My question is in the timing. When should we get shots for next February? How long do they last? What is the cost as I assume insurance would not pay?

You need to have received the shot at least 10 days before arrival at a point where it is required. (In other words, the shot is not considered as effective until 10 days after you receive it.) The international certificate that you get with the shot is valid for 10 years. The cost varies so if there are a lot of places available to you that can give the shot/certificate call around. We paid $100 each at the county health clinic in 2001. Your insurance may or may not pay. Our policy at the time paid for all vaccinations/immunizations and since we had 4 shots at one time at the clinic, we just submited claims with our paperwork/receipts from the health dept. clinic and we were reimbursed for most of the costs. I think that some were over the usual, customary amounts and so a small portion was not reimbursed. It is probably worth asking your insurer to reimburse. Good luck, Debbie

Not required.

As posted previously, I believe bluesea777 is from Bermuda. AND when traveling on a Caribbean nation passport, YF IS required. A good portion of the Caribbean is considered "endemic" area, hence the requirement.

You can get them anytime-like next week if you want to. They MUST be given AT LEAST 10 days prior to ENTRY into a country requiring yellow fever. YF vaccine is good for 10 years and until the recent vaccine shortage, the average price was $100.00pp. In some places, the prices have gone up considerably due to the vaccine shortage, so if you live close to two state, check around for pricing. MOST insurance will not pay.

Our travel health office, advised us that Uruguay presently requires "official certification of yellow fever vacination when travelling from a country with a risk of yelloe fever transmission". As another poster previously stated, the Immigration officials in Uruguay may see the Brazilian visa which indicates "a trip to a country with a risk of yellow fever transmission", and refuse entry.

It's too bad the cruise lines don't give better advice and guidance on these matters.

• 2 weeks later...

We're on our way up the Amazon next month and Holland America has been very forthcoming about the need for a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate on the Internationally prescribed yellow booklet....have it or don't bother showing up to get on the ship because we won't let you on!!!

We went and got the YF shots at our local Travel Clinic and at that time the Travel Doc advised a number of other shots that it is in our interest to get...so we got tetanus, Hep A & B, diphtheria, and typhoid. She also gave us a prescription for an anti-malarial that we have to take orally one day before we arrive at the Amazon and continue taking daily through the trip and for three days after.

Reaction to the Yellow Fever shot was mild....upset stomach, sweats, soreness in the muscles around the shot site, ache in the bones and joints and, a nasty headache for a day. These symptoms kind of faded in and out for three days...getting milder each day. My wife had no side effects at all.

All tolled the shots cost about $500 for two of us. Not sure if insurance covers it...we applied...we'll see....but frankly I doubt we'll get reimbursed. It is one fo those "choice" things I guess.

I understand the need for the YF vaccine for the Amazon....but when traveling to all the coastal towns in South America I do not believe they are necessary...according to the CDC.

I started this thread in hopes of clearing up all the confusing discussions regarding this subject.....needless to say, I don't believe there is any single answer to clear up this subject of YF vaccines for South America! Carnival said "not necessary", but most others on our upcoming cruise say "they are necessary"......:eek: :eek: :eek:

HELP...who has actually taken a cruise around the Horn, or down the coast of SA that has "been there, done that"???

I understand the need for the YF vaccine for the Amazon....but when traveling to all the coastal towns in South America I do not believe they are necessary...according to the CDC.

I started this thread in hopes of clearing up all the confusing discussions regarding this subject.....needless to say' date=' I don't believe there is any single answer to clear up this subject of YF vaccines for South America! Carnival said "not necessary", but most others on our upcoming cruise say "they are necessary"......:eek: :eek: :eek:

HELP...who has actually taken a cruise around the Horn, or down the coast of SA that has "been there, done that"???[/quote']

My experience is that some of these questions do not, I repeat, do not, get resolved on the Cruise Critic Board. I have seen this one asked several times and not resolved. I asked a similar one before we went to India on a world cruise this year. I knew that shots were not required for that but asked for recommenations on one particular item and got too many conflicting views.

First off, if you really want a precise answer then list all of the ports that you will be visiting. As you did, check the CDC web site which really should answer the question.

What cruise line are you sailing on.

I have sailed South America multiple times and have also sailed on two world cruises. The South America cruises were on two cruise lines and the world cruises were on one line. The cruise lines told me what shots were required and did the same for any visas that are required. So, I recommend the following.

1. Call your cruise line. There is a department (I can't remember what you call it) that most cruise lines have that should be able to tell you whether or not a yellow fever shot is required.

2. If you can't get a staight answer from the cruise line (and you really should because if it is required) they will be collecting the yellow fever vaccination cards at the port of embarkation call a medical professional office that specializes in travel. They will know.

3. And, if you really want more help here (and honestly I do not recommend it given the conflicting information you will receive) then list out all of your ports of call.

4. Is your cruise given once a year. If so, go to the cruise board of your cruise line and see if others have taken this cruise before to see whether or not this is required.

Finally, I remember my first time to Brazil. I did get a yellow fever shot. As it turned out it was not required for that trip. But I wasn't sure so I got it. While I am not, and I repeat I am not, a believer in getting shots just for the sake of it since shots all have some side effects, if you can't get a straight answer then consider taking it just in case.

But bottom line, if in the end some on this board say take it and some on this board say don't take it then what you are you going to do. Therefore, if this was me I would go through steps one through four and not waste time with the back and forth that has already taken place on this thread.

My comments are meant to help you. I am not lecturing but as I have said there are some topics and questions that do not get resolved.

And I have taken a cruise around the horn multiple times but just don't think based on what you have provided that I can give a 100% correct ansswer. And I don't think guessing makes sense.

Keith

Thank you all, especially Keith and greatam, for the advice and discussion on these boards. If it had not been for the boards we would have had no idea that YF could be required. We have had no communication from the cruise line about it and just hadn't considered it ourselves.

We contacted our county health department to make an appointment for the yellow fever shot for our trip on Splendor. We had already deciphered, after much review of the boards and CDC.com, that we needed it to go to Ecuador from Peru. In our case the research was confirmed by the health department.

They advised us on more than just YF too. We feel better knowing we are protected for this trip and others in the future.

We paid 214.00 each at a county health dept in SC for:

Admin fee: 5.00

Visit fee: 45.00

International Travel Booklet: 2.00

Hepatitis A & B: 49.00

Typhoid Oral: 37.00

Yellow Fever: 81.00

Tdap V06.8: 0.00

Please continue to be patient with us..... we don't know what we don't know and we need to continue to hear the words.

I started this thread in hopes of clearing up all the confusing discussions regarding this subject.....needless to say' date=' I don't believe there is any single answer to clear up this subject of YF vaccines for South America! Carnival said "not necessary", but most others on our upcoming cruise say "they are necessary"......:eek: :eek: :eek:

HELP...who has actually taken a cruise around the Horn, or down the coast of SA that has "been there, done that"???[/quote']

We did Splendour of the Seas this past March from Valparaiso to Santos............around the Horn.

We did not get YF vaccinations and were still issued Visas for Brazil. We were visiting coastal cities so no special vaccinations were required as told to us by the CDC and our own travel clinic here which happens to be a part of Cleveland Clinic. Had we done a land tour or had taken a cruise inland...........then yes, we would most definitely would have had to have YF shots.

I spend quite a bit of time in various areas of South America for business. I have taken two cruises "around the horn", one repo cruise from FLL to Valparaiso and one 30 day Antarctica circumnavigation cruise which left from SA and ended in New Zealand.

I hear all the pros and cons for getting a YF shot frequently. The shot is NOT to prevent you from getting YF. It is to prevent you from LEAVING an area where YF is present and SPREADING it to other areas. The incubation period is 7-10 days, so hypothetically, IF you left Brazil, were exposed to YF and had no symptoms, you STILL could be spreading YF in Peru, Chile, etc. I have SEEN people denied entry for lack of PROOF of YF vaccination in various countries. Your choice whether you get the shot. But IMHO, unless you have a medical reason NOT to get the shot, why wouldn't you????

Here are my previous posts. I stand by them wholeheartedly:

"Sorry, I missed your post. The short answer-because there is Yellow fever in Brazil, with a recent widely publicised outbreak. There is also Yellow Fever in Peru (in the jungles). So Peru wants no more exposure to Yellow Fever than they already have.

And here is where it gets tricky-where EXACTLY is the endemic area in Brazil??? And I mean EXACTLY-not a colored area on a map without distinct boundaries. And what immigration officer in Peru is going to determine EXACTLY where the endemic area of Brazil is??? Are you going to get the person who speaks decent English and understands the concept of "endemic" area (you were "only in Rio"). Or is that officer looking at the entire country of Brazil as a Yellow Fever hot spot (and there have been quite a few local SA news reports about the YF outbreak in Brazil). Are you really going to get into an argument with an immigration officer, especially one who may not speak very good English (unless your Spanish is fluent)???

I am always asked for the cert, but there again, I have a LOT of SA stamps-mostly Chile and Peru, but also quite a few from Ecuador and Columbia, as well as SE Asia. And of course, those prominent Brazil visa's.

I have seen lots of backpackers asked for the YF cert. Most of them have been working their way around SA-hitting both endemic and "border only" areas.

Your choice. IF you can medically tolerate it (or get the waiver/exemption), I see no reason NOT to get it. Who knows when that dream trip to the jungles of Brazil/Peru or up the Mekong in SE Asia just pops up at too good a price to pass up??? Be a shame to miss it for a vaccination. PLUS you are not going to get Yellow Fever, which should be a bonus."

Post 2

"It IS confusing. With the recent Yellow fever outbreak in SA which has spread to areas that have not seen yellow fever for YEARS, immigration officers are checking more often and are denying entry for some. Will you be denied entry-it truly depends on the immigration officer. CDC is NOT the "determiner" of whether you will be allowed entry to a specific country. CDC INTERPRETS rules from other countries and tries to post information. But just as our rules change, other countries change their rules too. And the FINAL determination is made by the immigration officer of a particular country when you are trying to enter their country.

IMHO, unless you have a medical reason NOT to get the shot, you are covering all your bases for future travels and entry into various countries when the rules may change or the immigration officer interprets "endemic" areas to include more than what is shown on a map.

IF you have a medical reason NOT to have the shot, get your doctor to fill out the exemption waiver or write a letter on letterhead, go to the health dept and have them verify and endorse the waiver and attach the letter. You have covered ALL your bases. IMHO, MUCH better to be safe than sorry when traveling in foreign countries with different language and customs. Are you REALLY going to try to argue "endemic area" in a foreign language on foreign soil??????

PS-I have personally seen people denied entry in China, Vietnam, Peru and Panama. MOST were backpackers where were traveling around various countries. But DH's best friend was just denied entry into China BECAUSE he didn't have his YF vaccination record. He and his wife had to go back to Hong Kong and either get the shots or produce the vaccination record. We FedEx'd it to Hong Kong and they made it to the Olympics-3 days of their trip was spent in Hong Kong and NOT Beijing. AND it cost them almost $1200 to go back to Hong Kong from Beijing and return-air tickets, hotels, food, etc. ALL for LACK of the little yellow card."

Archived