I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello, my wife and I will be arriving from the U.S. June 12, 2012. We are staying at the Richmond Hotel for two nights pre-cruise. My questions are: (1) Cost of cab from airport; payable in euros or US $$$? (2) How far is the hotel from the airport? (3) Is the hotel located within walking distance of major attractions?

Thank you, Ed

Have a few quick questions please. Visiting on 6-8 and 6-9 leaving on NCL Sun and was wondering upon arrival staying at CPH Hilton and plan some casual sightseeing that day and visiting Tivoli that evening and shopping at Stroget. Planning to purchase CPH card and sightsee next morning before ship leaves. Could you suggest what sites to leave for second morning maybe 4hrs. of touring that are near each other so I can make the most of my card and also, how much currency would you suggest to have on hand for 1 1/2 days sightseeing since card covers transportation and admission to most places?

@ tango223

The website is still down but i will look back with new info for 2012.

@ tullahlula

Both bus 15 and 26 will get you to Nyhavn from the central station but only 26 will get you further out to the little mermaid.

Strøget goes almost in the same route but are only for pedestrian and it will take around 30 minutes to walk the entire route.

@ wacamaw

The national museum, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and Thorvaldsens museum are located in walking distance of each other and you could leave our luggage at the central station that is located in the same area.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=K%C3%B8benhavns+Hovedbaneg%C3%A5rd+Posthus,+Baneg%C3%A5rdspladsen,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=55.672874,12.5664881+to:Ny+Carlsberg+Glyptotek,+Dantes+Plads,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Nationalmuseet+Hovedindgang,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Thorvaldsens+Museum,+Bertel+Thorvaldsens+Plads,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.674063,12.571278&spn=0.008422,0.019205&sll=55.675145,12.57081&sspn=0.008421,0.019205&geocode=FWqEUQMdXbe_ACG8Pbjhu201oA%3BFSqAUQMd2L-_ACnxlNJmDVNSRjG46QcPaJNk7Q%3BFZSAUQMdf9e_ACGh5zjjTy6fWSlfnWsEE1NSRjE9feBrQ625xA%3BFbOFUQMdoeG_AClnL3KUE1NSRjGHrnztuTv9hw%3BFYSOUQMd3O2_ACHC0cJhEZJjlw&oq=thorvaldsens+&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&via=1&t=m&z=16

I will asume that 200-300 DKK for each person will be enough.

If you eat at the cheap buffet restaurants (or MC D) along strøget you will pay around 100-120 for a meal but if you want quality and/or eat inside Tivoli it will be around 200 DKK.

My wife and I will be arriving May 2 by air and are staying at the Palace Hotel on the square. Then central station is very close. Cannot figure out the train or subway which is best. Can you tell me the correct train from terminal 3 to the central station? Thanks for your input to these travelers.

The best recommended on hotels.com (in that price range) and sorted by hotel standard and location by me

City Hotel Nebo - 111USD

Cab-Inn City - 125 USD

Richmond Hotel - 184 USD

Ibsens Hotel - 184 USD

Zleep Hotel Astoria Copenhagen - 167 USD

Hotel Sct. Thomas - 175 USD

Copenhagen Crown Hotel - 197 USD

Best Western Mercur Hotel - 206 USD

Absalon City Hotel - 166 USD

Radisson Blu Falconer Hotel and Conference center - 184 USD

Hotel Danmark - 184 USD

Hotel Alexandra - 224 USD

Hotel Christian IV - 208 USD

Hotel Fox - 212 USD

Savoy Hotel - 213 USD

Cab-Inn Metro - 116 USD

Danhostel Copenhagen Downtown - 113 USD

Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers - 177 USD and with aircon.

Park In by Radisson Copenhagen Airport - 184 USD

We have made a reservation at the Radisson Blu Falconer. Our flight is scheduled to arrive at Copenhagen International at 1:15 PM. I'm sure we'll take a cab to the hotel although I know public transportation is close.

We'd like to walk around Stroget and then walk around Tivoli, probably for a meal and just to enjoy the grounds. And we're hoping that is doable immediately after we check in to the hotel.

Is public transportation appropriate for this venture? If so, would you be kind enough to offer suggestions?

As always, your advice is greatly appreciated!

We have made a reservation at the Radisson Blu Falconer. Our flight is scheduled to arrive at Copenhagen International at 1:15 PM. I'm sure we'll take a cab to the hotel although I know public transportation is close. We'd like to walk around Stroget and then walk around Tivoli, probably for a meal and just to enjoy the grounds. And we're hoping that is doable immediately after we check in to the hotel. Is public transportation appropriate for this venture? If so, would you be kind enough to offer suggestions? As always, your advice is greatly appreciated!

That hotel is about 2 km from the Tivoli area. The key point when visiting Tivoli that evening is to be there when it gets darker, the magical lights come on, etc. Below are a few of my pictures to illustrate why it is so great to be there in the evenings, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 59,928 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud!

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

Terry Your photos of Tivoli look "magic" - but they are all taken at night . Is it worth going to Tivoli during a mid-week daytime. Barry

We have visited Tivoli twice. A Sunday afternoon in late July 2008, plus on a Wednesday, June 30 evening in 2010. Both were very enjoyable and unique. There are others, however, who don't enjoy this kind of "thing". Some don't like amusement parks and/or view this one as too small and minor compared to Disney World/Epcot, etc. Personal taste and style??!! Given this park's age/history (the inspiration/model for Disney) and great mix of landscaping, architecture, music, food, etc., I loved it both times. This part goes back to 1844. There are rides, but we didn't do any of those.

Below are a few more pictures from our day visit there. The people watching and "experience" are great fun in my book. Lots to love and do in Copenhagen. I think this is one of the best!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 59,928 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The water, boat and unique architecture of Tivoli. This park inspired Walt Disney with his 20th Century creations!:

1A-Copenhagen-TivoliB.jpg

Lots of outdoor dining options in Tivoli:

1A-Copenh-TivDining.jpg

Tivoli has lots of rides including this twisting roller coaster:

1A-Copenh-TivRolCoasters.jpg

One of the stage shows at Tivoli with live music and dancers, plus a couple more to show the variety of offerings here.:

1A-Tivoli-StageShow.jpg

1A-Tivoli-FountainBldg.jpg

1A-Copenh-TivSkyRide.jpg

@ lel5344

The metro station at Frederiksberg is located next to the hotel so you could (if you want) take the metro directly from the airport to your hotel.

Along the line you will find the 2 downtown stations of Nørreport and Kongens Nytorv so you can easily get to and from your hotel.

The most easy way to Tivoli is to take the metro from Frederiksberg to Nørreport and then take a train to either Vesterport (only S-train) or København H (central station).

@ lel5344

The metro station at Frederiksberg is located next to the hotel so you could (if you want) take the metro directly from the airport to your hotel.

Along the line you will find the 2 downtown stations of Nørreport and Kongens Nytorv so you can easily get to and from your hotel.

The most easy way to Tivoli is to take the metro from Frederiksberg to Nørreport and then take a train to either Vesterport (only S-train) or København H (central station).

Excellent information. Do we purchase some sort of transit card? And do you know if there is a website (in English) for Copenhagen transit information?

Thanks again!

If you go to Rejseplanen.dk you can change it to English and dsb.dk and m.dk are also helpful but I can't remember how much info you will get in English.

If you only need transportation then you can buy the citypass that will give you unlimited travel in from the airport and also in central Copenhagen and Frederiksberg in 24 hours and it cost 75 DKK, there is also a 72 hour version that costs 190 DKK.

@ tango223

The website is still down but i will look back with new info for 2012.

@ tullahlula

Both bus 15 and 26 will get you to Nyhavn from the central station but only 26 will get you further out to the little mermaid.

Strøget goes almost in the same route but are only for pedestrian and it will take around 30 minutes to walk the entire route.

@ wacamaw

The national museum, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and Thorvaldsens museum are located in walking distance of each other and you could leave our luggage at the central station that is located in the same area.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=K%C3%B8benhavns+Hovedbaneg%C3%A5rd+Posthus,+Baneg%C3%A5rdspladsen,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=55.672874,12.5664881+to:Ny+Carlsberg+Glyptotek,+Dantes+Plads,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Nationalmuseet+Hovedindgang,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Thorvaldsens+Museum,+Bertel+Thorvaldsens+Plads,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.674063,12.571278&spn=0.008422,0.019205&sll=55.675145,12.57081&sspn=0.008421,0.019205&geocode=FWqEUQMdXbe_ACG8Pbjhu201oA%3BFSqAUQMd2L-_ACnxlNJmDVNSRjG46QcPaJNk7Q%3BFZSAUQMdf9e_ACGh5zjjTy6fWSlfnWsEE1NSRjE9feBrQ625xA%3BFbOFUQMdoeG_AClnL3KUE1NSRjGHrnztuTv9hw%3BFYSOUQMd3O2_ACHC0cJhEZJjlw&oq=thorvaldsens+&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&via=1&t=m&z=16

I will asume that 200-300 DKK for each person will be enough.

If you eat at the cheap buffet restaurants (or MC D) along strøget you will pay around 100-120 for a meal but if you want quality and/or eat inside Tivoli it will be around 200 DKK.

thanks for the great info.

Hi Danish Viking, thanks for the info. Sue

@ tullahlula

Thank you Danish Viking for your response and for all your wonderful information on this Board.

We think the Scandic may be out of the way for us and appreciate your opinion.

We have copied and pasted many, many fantastic recommendations and comments from everyone regarding dining, sightseeing and lodging. There are so many great posters on this Board.

We have confirmed our air and arrive Copenhagen the morning of August 5th so looking for a hotel that will permit morning check-in and still be near the train.

Thanks again . . .

We are arriving in Copenhagen in the morning on May 19 for 4 nights prior to a cruise on the Emerald Princess. We are staying at the Radisson Blu Royal hotel near the Central Station. What can you tell me about this hotel. Is it a nice place. What are the chances that i can obtain a room when we arrive there around 10 AM.

Thanks again Danish Viking for all your help on this board. If we have this correct, Imperial is very close to Central Station for our 4-nite pre-cruise which should be easy enough to walk with our luggage, and is also a short walk to Tivoli, HOHO/Red Bus and Town Square. Short walking distances are important as I have frequent back challenges, otherwise walking is our preferred mode of sightseeing.

We are considering Crown Royal Copenhagen at the airport for the one night post cruise since they offer complimentary shuttle to the airport.

We are open to any and all suggestions and would like to reach a decision by this Wednesday to include lodging cost in our travel insurance.

Although we have read the conditions of "free cancellation" and hotel policies, have not learned if once you check-in you do not get a refund if you have to check out early due to any medical reason. Anyone with experience in this area?

We know this is a lot to ask and will appreciate any help we receive.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen 6 am June 3rd to depart on our cruise 6 pm that evening. We purchased cruise transfers but found that the earliest they would take us to the ship would be 11 am. We had hoped to be able to deposit our luggage and sightsee. Any suggestions on our best options for luggage, best transit and what attractions to see in our limited time? Thanks for your assistance.

@ Coastcruisers

Imperial located just on the other site of the train tracks and around 500 meters to the town hall square.

http://map.krak.dk/m/9TWCu

Scandic Palace, Hotel Kong Frederik and the Square will get you right on the town hall square with 0 meters to walk.

I think that your post cruise hotel is the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers, because i can´t find anything with the other name.

@ NJ seniors

i think that you also should look at the 3 hotels i suggested.

@ Norski

Just take the train to København H (central station) and use the luggage boxes, from here you can explore the downtown area without using any kind of public transportation.

Just tell me what you want to see and i can optimize your route.

I was wondering if some special event is going on during those days. I am booked at the Marriott but not happy about the rates. It is more than double what I paid 2 years ago around the same time

I picked the Marriott for its location and that I have elite status

hello, Danish Viking. I, too, am trying to select a hotel, and I hope you can offer a bit of advice. we will stay three nights pre cruise in mid may. I am trying to watch the hotel budget to direct funds more toward Copenhagen tours and shore excursions on the ship. We are easy to please and just need a clean, decent place in a good location for touring. right now, my relatively budget friendly options include ( in ascending cost) Cabinn City, Hotel Nebo, and Alexandra. Can you offer any advice?

I've been reading a lot of this thread and went to the hoho website. See the mermaid tour or combo with 3 other hoho buses. Is there still a canal tour with the hoho buses or is there a separate canal tour that I could combine myself with the hoho bus?

Will be in Copenhagen this May on the Constellation form 8am to 5 pm

@ roberts2005

So far nothing is added to the calender but look here.

http://meetincopenhagen.com/news-and-events/congress-calendar

There is a ZZ Top concert at Brøndby Stadium but that normally doesnt affect hotel prices.

@ Starry Eyes

I have stayed at Cab-Inn in Odense and the room was very very small and the toilet even smaller so if their Copenhagen hotels are the same just stay way from it.

@ dakacz

The freedom ticket cost 110 DKK and covers both the HO/HO busses and canal tours in 48 hours.

http://www.canaltours.com/pricelist/prices/

Archived