I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

has anyone stayed at or heard anything, either positive or negative, about the bethel hotel in copenhagen? it sounds very quaint. thanks for any input.

We heard mixed reviews. Try TripAdvisor. They have reviews of hotels by people who have stayed there.

CruisinEurope and/or Danish Viking,

I first want to say "Thank You" for this wonderful abundance of information you've posted here. I've only been able to read half the posts so far, but intend to get through all of them soon. I wanted to ask a couple of quick questions first...

My family and I (five adults) are coming to Copenhagen in May for a cruise. We're on the Eurodam, departing on the 23rd of May. I've tried to find out what terminal it will dock at, but can't make out heads or tails of the CMP site mentioned in earlier posts. Do you know which terminal Holland America uses?

We're staying at the Cabinn City hotel for one night pre-cruise and two nights post-cruise, we're on a budget yet enjoy taking public transportation as well. Since it appears this hotel is only two blocks from the central station, is it better to take a train or the metro from the airport? Or do you think that maybe a cab or two would be better, since there's five of us and probably a bunch of luggage?

If we do take the train or metro, is it safe to walk that two blocks, with luggage, at 9:00 at night (plane arrives at 7:20 PM)?

If we take the train or metro, what is the stop called for the central station?

Thanks so much for your time and effort on this long thread!:D

Hi Scott:

The Port in question is Freeport. We will be disembarking on the 23rd from the Eurodam. We will be spending (2) days in Copenhagen post cruise. Danish Viking can help you with your other questions. Have a great time!

@ Bigwally

I do think that they will sell you the part.

@ Scottb80

The cabinn City is very close to the central statioon so i will walk from the Station

The Central station is called København H (H stands for Hovedbanegård=Central and København is of course the danish name of Copenhagen)

Do not take the metro unless you want to change train at Nørreport Station.

You have to take the Airport train heading for Helsingør/Elsinore or Nivå and you have to pass through 2 stations before you get there, Tårnby and Ørestad.

Hi Scott:

The Port in question is Freeport. We will be disembarking on the 23rd from the Eurodam. We will be spending (2) days in Copenhagen post cruise. Danish Viking can help you with your other questions. Have a great time!

Can someone give me an address for Freeport so I can find it on a map? Also, when we take a cab from the hotel to the ship, do we just tell the driver "Freeport" or is there something else we should call the terminal?

Thanks!

Can someone give me an address for Freeport so I can find it on a map? Also, when we take a cab from the hotel to the ship, do we just tell the driver "Freeport" or is there something else we should call the terminal?

Thanks!

Based on my map of Copenhagen, I would say look first look for the Citadel (Kastellet) or the little mermaid. Near that you will find a long spit of land labelled Langelinie. Follow the direction it appears to be pointing and you should be able to find Free Port. I think that if you tell the driver the name of the ship and that it is in Free Port, the driver should be able to get you there. This is based on my previous experiences in Europe. I don't think that Copenhagen would be different, but I am interested in finding out.

Based on my map of Copenhagen, I would say look first look for the Citadel (Kastellet) or the little mermaid. Near that you will find a long spit of land labelled Langelinie. Follow the direction it appears to be pointing and you should be able to find Free Port. I think that if you tell the driver the name of the ship and that it is in Free Port, the driver should be able to get you there. This is based on my previous experiences in Europe. I don't think that Copenhagen would be different, but I am interested in finding out.

Thanks! I think I figured it out. Using a variety of maps from the CMP (Port Authority) I found a "Frihavnen" which upon research is "Freeport". This large area has a lot inlets for ships, but only two take cruise ships, the Kronløbsbassinet and Orientbassinet. It appears the Eurodam will be at quay C254, which I couldn't find on a map, but is in one of the two inlets.

Since this is in the industrial area, there won't be convienent access to the transport options the Langelinie area has, so I guess we have to take a cab from here to some spot in the city to catch the HoHo or other public transportation. Any suggestions on where we should take the cab to?

Also, how do you pronounce "Frihavnen"? Is it FRY-HAV-NEN or FREE-HAV-NEN, or something else?:confused:

Thanks! I think I figured it out. Using a variety of maps from the CMP (Port Authority) I found a "Frihavnen" which upon research is "Freeport". This large area has a lot inlets for ships, but only two take cruise ships, the Kronløbsbassinet and Orientbassinet. It appears the Eurodam will be at quay C254, which I couldn't find on a map, but is in one of the two inlets.

Since this is in the industrial area, there won't be convienent access to the transport options the Langelinie area has, so I guess we have to take a cab from here to some spot in the city to catch the HoHo or other public transportation. Any suggestions on where we should take the cab to?

Also, how do you pronounce "Frihavnen"? Is it FRY-HAV-NEN or FREE-HAV-NEN, or something else?:confused:

Hi Scott:

Here's a map that I found helpful, if you haven't already

found this one http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/map

You can catch public bus 26 from outside the Freeport

terminal.. it goes to the city centre.

Barb

Hi Scott:

Here's a map that I found helpful, if you haven't already

found this one http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/map

You can catch public bus 26 from outside the Freeport

terminal.. it goes to the city centre.

Barb

Thanks Barb, but just after I hit the submit button, it occurred to me, that we'll be heading from the ship, directly to the hotel, so we can dump our bags off. In which case, we'll be taking a cab to handle all the luggage. Must have been one of those "senior moments" :rolleyes:

Scott -

don't even attempt it. That is one of the words that is REALLY tricky. I don't even think that I could give you a phonetic way to pronounce it... LOL

I would just have it written on a piece of paper and tell the driver to take you there. :D

Luckily - all Danes are SUPER with their English - so getting a cab and telling them to talk you to the Cruise Ship in Frihavn (I wouldn't say Freeport - as even I had trouble figuring out what was meant by that) - - and you'll be fine.

ENJOY!

We heard mixed reviews. Try TripAdvisor. They have reviews of hotels by people who have stayed there.

fun_seeker:

we had read the tripadvisor reviews (before we posted our enquiry), and they seemed so uniformly positive, that i almost think they have been faked. can you give me more specifics about the mixed reviews you have heard?

thanks,

bruce

fun_seeker:

we had read the tripadvisor reviews (before we posted our enquiry), and they seemed so uniformly positive, that i almost think they have been faked. can you give me more specifics about the mixed reviews you have heard?

thanks,

bruce

Bruce,

We find that by concentrating on what the Americans think about a hotel, you get a better perspective on how it might appeal to American tastes. In our experience, it seems that European expectations for hotels are lower than those of Americans. I guess we are spoiled. As far as possible negative reviews, we seem to recall that some people were concerned about the size of the rooms, others that the shower tends to wet down the entire floor because it isn't contained in a shower stall, some felt that at the price it wasn't a good value and others complained about some problem with the internet connection. These issues were not a problem for us, so we are booked there for one night pre-cruise and one night post-cruise (gives us more time to explore Copenhagen). The hotel is in what we understand to be a very nice and safe area of the city and is close to many sights. We are avid walkers, so its location gives us an opportunity to walk everywhere we want to go. It is also close enough to the airport that we can just take the Metro to the Kongens Nytorv station and be very near the hotel. We think that we will have to take a taxi or the number 26 bus to and from the ship, but that is not really an issue for us. We hope that helps.

Steve and Avra

steve and avra

we have booked 7 rooms there for 4 nights. we are going to try to see all there is to see in copenhagen before leaving on a 10-day baltic cruise with princess beginning on august 24. this site seems to be a great place to find out exactly what we need to see.

the three specific things you mention (room size, shower issue and internet service) will not bother us, as we will only use the room for sleeping. we don't need a fancy place, but do insist that it be clean and well-run.

have a great time on your cruise, and thanks for the info.

bruce

Bruce,

As far as possible negative reviews, we seem to recall that some people were concerned about the size of the rooms, others that the shower tends to wet down the entire floor because it isn't contained in a shower stall, some felt that at the price it wasn't a good value and others complained about some problem with the internet connection.

Steve and Avra

Hey, the Cabinn City is even cheaper, and I'm sure the rooms are even smaller. The bathroom is the same, a curtain around the shower area, right next to toilet. From photos I've seen, I have closets in my house that have more square footage. But, we're on a budget, and have to make as many sacrifices as possible, just to go on this cruise. There will be three adults in one room, with all of our cruise bags, so it's going to be TIGHT :eek: But we're only staying here to sleep and get clean, and all the reviews say the hotel is clean and close to most attractions and central train station, so we don't mind the minor inconvienence of not having a big room.

Here's some pictures from TripAdvisor of the room that we're going to have, a standard triple.

bunk-room.jpg

That's two beds down below, one pulls out, and a bunk bed on top.

we-keep-falling-in-the.jpg

The bathroom.

Danish Viking, thank you for all the wonderful advice.

My husband and I will have several days pre-cruise to spend in Copenhagen. We are considering splitting the time between Copenhagen and Malmo. Do you think there is enough to see in Malmo to justify an overnight stay? Or would it be better to see in a 'day trip'?

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl

Danish Viking, thank you for all the wonderful advice.

My husband and I will have several days pre-cruise to spend in Copenhagen. We are considering splitting the time between Copenhagen and Malmo. Do you think there is enough to see in Malmo to justify an overnight stay? Or would it be better to see in a 'day trip'?

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl

Hi CS91 -

I'm not Danish Viking - - but I do live in CPH and have been to Malmo a bit. For me, there is not enough to do in Malmo itself to justify an overnight there.

What IS a nice trip, though, is the bus tour that leaves from CPH and drives up the coastline and takes the ferry across to Sweden. Then stops at a pretty little town for a break - - pretty church, etc. there. Then continues on via bus to Malmo. Time for a break there for shopping, sightseeing, etc. Then, if your driver has enough time, ask them to take you to the Turning Torso -- which will soon be one of the "manmade wonders of the world". Then you drive back via the bridge to CPH.

it's a FULL day - but a thoroughly enjoyable one.

- jen

Danish Viking, we will be in Copenhagen 29th leaving on Journey( Azamara) 30th June next year.

Where would the ship be docked do you think?

If I planned a get together of other CC's available/interested on the evening of 29th where would you advise to meet and greet?

Cheers, Pat

@ cs91

The bus tour suggested by CruisinEurope sound wonderful but if you just want to see Malmö i recommend to buy the Orange Øresund ticket that is valid for 2 persons and it is much cheaper than than a regular return ticket.

You can buy the Ticket at the Central station.

The malmö/Lund area has many things to see but as CruisinEurope said it is only for a one day visit.

But the train journey over the Øresund Fixed link is worth a trip alone.

http://www.malmo.se/servicemeny/malmostadinenglish.4.33aee30d103b8f15916800021923.html

@ P&C

The Azamara Journey is berthed at the freeport terminal (just look one page back)

For a place to meet up i will suggest the Icebar at hotel 29

http://www.hotel27.dk/website/

Or else look at aok.dk, it is a guide for all things happening in Copenhagen including bars and cafés.

http://www.aok.dk/byen-rundt/guide/visiting-copenhagen

Hi CS91 -

I'm not Danish Viking - - but I do live in CPH and have been to Malmo a bit. For me, there is not enough to do in Malmo itself to justify an overnight there.

What IS a nice trip, though, is the bus tour that leaves from CPH and drives up the coastline and takes the ferry across to Sweden. Then stops at a pretty little town for a break - - pretty church, etc. there. Then continues on via bus to Malmo. Time for a break there for shopping, sightseeing, etc. Then, if your driver has enough time, ask them to take you to the Turning Torso -- which will soon be one of the "manmade wonders of the world". Then you drive back via the bridge to CPH.

it's a FULL day - but a thoroughly enjoyable one.

- jen

Hi Jen:

For a little diversity...would like to hear about the bus tour. I assume our hotel would have information about it.. or perhaps you have a link to share the info.

Thanks

Hi Danish Viking,

My wife and I are flying into CPH from Glasgow on 1st Aug for a 10 night Holland America Baltic cruise. I would appreciate your advice on the following; our flight back to Glasgow is at 1945 hours which would mean checking in at about 1745. Since we'll probably disembark about 0900 or thereabouts, that gives us quite a bit of free time. We.ve been to Copenhagen twice before but only on cruise stops, so I dont know how realistic it would be to drop our cases off at the airport and then go back into the city.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Hi Jen:

For a little diversity...would like to hear about the bus tour. I assume our hotel would have information about it.. or perhaps you have a link to share the info.

Thanks

I've mentioned this tour quite a bit back in the earlier pages of the thread.... along with quite a few more that I recommenend. The search function within the thread will be very useful for THIS thread since it's SO long and SO comprehensive.

Here is the link though, to the tour that I mentioned though:

http://www.sightseeing.dk/

Hi Danish Viking,

My wife and I are flying into CPH from Glasgow on 1st Aug for a 10 night Holland America Baltic cruise. I would appreciate your advice on the following; our flight back to Glasgow is at 1945 hours which would mean checking in at about 1745. Since we'll probably disembark about 0900 or thereabouts, that gives us quite a bit of free time. We.ve been to Copenhagen twice before but only on cruise stops, so I dont know how realistic it would be to drop our cases off at the airport and then go back into the city.

Any ideas gratefully received.

You can rent lockers at the airport and store your bags there. I don't think that you can CHECK them though, as your counter probably won't even be open yet. I'd call the airlines and see when the earliest you can check your bags would be.

Archived