I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Dear Jen:

Can you recommend one of your favorite places for

dinner after we leave the Ice Bar?

Thanks

what type of food are you looking for?

what price range are you looking for?

there are a number of restaurant suggestions throughout the thread... maybe doing a search on this thread will give you some pleaces to start. :D

for those that give Tivoli a "bad review" - - I'm sorry - - but they are just ignorant.

Do some research and learn the history behind Tivoli. Talk to a Dane about their childhood memories of Tivoli and ask them why it's so special.

No - it's NOT Disney - heck, it's not even close as far as size, rides, etc.

But Tivoli is to the Danes what Disney is to Americans.

Iconic.

Part of HISTORY.

Nostalgic.

For a bit more perspective.

The ENTIRE COUNTRY of Denmark would fit several times in NEW ENGLAND. It's TINY.

Copenhagen, it's largest city - is smaller than DisneyWorld.

So - don't go thinking you're getting cutting edge theme park.

What you're going to get is a beautiful, proud, charming, and historical landmark on a visit to a tiny city in a tiny country.

Dear Jen

Thank you for your comments on the possibility of us having a "Tivoli-Fix" at one of the restaurants...eventhough the park itself will be closed when we arrive in late September.

Can you recommend a restaurant/cafe that is not outragiously expensive, but that would have a glimpse over the Park? Or are we pushing our luck with this?

Once again, thanks so much for ALL of your information

Margaret and Bil

Would you recommend Tivoli for 5,7 and a 9 year old next June?

Some of the reviews of it are not so great - but if we know more of what to expect (not like Disney - which is fine) before we get there that might help to prepare the kids too.

Is there a website (I have googled and have not found anything?)

We are only in port from 8 to 4pm and have not really figured out what to do here yet - is this a must see? It seems like it would be something the kids would enjoy, but if it is overly costly than we may have to skip it.

Thanks

I agree with Jen. As I wrote recently, we spent 4 hours at Tivoli with our 14 and 10 year olds on August 15th. Both kids had been to Disney World several times. As Jen explained, we told them in advance that this was a precursor to Disney Land/World, and that it was not meant to compete with amusement parks in the US. We purchased unlimited ride wristbands for this kids only. The kids had a phenomenal time! My husband and I were delighted to spend the 4 hours walking with kids from ride to ride and studying how Disney took elements of this park to create his US amusement parks. My 14 year old even took a ride on the carousel and loved it. I would highly recommend this stop if you have kids and are spending any time in CPH.

Hi CrusinEurope -

WOW what a great and useful thread you have going here! Over the last couple of days I have read all 24! pages and first off let me say - Thank You!

I just have one quick question - since you and everyone else have answered any others I might have had - since our ship docks at 8am, and most things will not have opened yet, I would like to do the HOHO bus first and catch it right from the pier. When I looked on their site it says that the buses don't start until 9:30am. Do you know if there will be HOHO buses at the pier as early as 8am?

Thank you - Sally

Hey to BP Traveler - we are on same cruise!

Hi CrusinEurope -

WOW what a great and useful thread you have going here! Over the last couple of days I have read all 24! pages and first off let me say - Thank You!

I just have one quick question - since you and everyone else have answered any others I might have had - since our ship docks at 8am, and most things will not have opened yet, I would like to do the HOHO bus first and catch it right from the pier. When I looked on their site it says that the buses don't start until 9:30am. Do you know if there will be HOHO buses at the pier as early as 8am?

Hey to BP Traveler - we are on same cruise!

Thank you - Sally

so sorry for the lag in my reply - - it was a GORGEOUS week here and I had to get OUT of the house. :D

Honestly, I'm not sure if the busses will start at 8 on the pier... I would DOUBT it, as the busses are not just for the cruise passengers. I will contact the agency though this week and get a more definite answer.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the busses will start at 8 on the pier... I would DOUBT it, as the busses are not just for the cruise passengers. I will contact the agency though this week and get a more definite answer.

Glad you are enjoying the weather - no hurry on an answer but I would appreciate knowing since I am one of those "up & running" cruisers.

I am very interested in visiting Legoland with my kids.

We will be in Copenhagen for a 2 day stop on our cruise.Is Legoland very far?Is it easy to get to?

Thanks!

Kim

you will need a car. it's a good 2+ hour drive from Copenhagen and you really want at least a full day to experience it all. With only 2 days in CPH, unless that is ALLLLL you want to see/do - then I would skip it.

Hi, Thank you so much for all of your information. We have one day in Copenhagen and want to do as much as possible....boat tour, Rosenburg castle, Amalienborg Palace, Nyhavn and stroget and Tivoli Garden before we get back on the ship. Do you know of any driver or limo service that we can hire for the day. So far we are two couples?

I would just like to say that I have just read all 25 pages (so far) of this thread. I think it is one of the most useful threads I have yet seen on the internet for any travel destination.

We are not going to CPH until July 2009 but I am going to print off a lot of the information here and keep it on file. I will return to it for any updates between now and when we sail.

I just wanted to say thank you to CruisinEurope and Danish Viking for the time and effort they have put into this.

I am sure that in addition to the many that post questions and comments there are, like me, many people who read it and get a lot from it.

Thanks again

Thank you so-o-o much for all of the wonderful information you have shared. I know you must have addressed this before, but simply my question is if the euro or American dollar can be used in Copenhagen. We will be there for 2 days next week before our cruise leaves. We plan on using our Capitol One credit card as much as possible, but need a little cash for hot dogs, shot glasses, magnets, etc.:cool:

Thank you so-o-o much for all of the wonderful information you have shared. I know you must have addressed this before, but simply my question is if the euro or American dollar can be used in Copenhagen. We will be there for 2 days next week before our cruise leaves. We plan on using our Capitol One credit card as much as possible, but need a little cash for hot dogs, shot glasses, magnets, etc.:cool:

only the VERY touristy places will take the Euro or USD. Really, the only places that I am 100% sure that DO take them are the shops along Langlinie near the main pier.

Other than that - no. Only Danish Kronor are accepted.

Also - lots of little places may not even take your credit card UNLESS you have a PIN number.

CruisinEurope, just wanted to come here and thank you for continuing to point out to travelers that they will need a PIN for their credit cards if they want to use them in places that are not totally devoted to tourists. I took your advice to heart before our visit to Copenhagen, and I called my credit union that issued my Visa and asked them for a PIN. They mailed me a PIN, and I took it with me to Copenhagen. I have been all over the world and used that credit card with no PIN, but sure enough, in Copenhagen they wanted a PIN.

Thanks for all the help you provide here to those who need a little help from our friends from time to time. (((Big hug)))

Juju

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thank you for putting up such a helpul thread. We are going to take the Eurodam out of CPH next summer and are arranging our own airfare and pre-cruise hotel. We have two nights to spend in CPH before we board the ship. What would be a good hotel for us to use? How can we get transportaion to the ship? Are there any hotels that offer transportation to the ships? Or do we just use taxi?

Also, upon arrival in CPH, is there ground transportation outside the airport? I know you talked about the metro system, but we will be traveling for a month and will have a fair amount of luggage for the subway.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody

I just want to tell you all about my experience as a tourist guide.

It was my first time as a tourguide and maybe the last and my victims :-) were Bill and Lu (Aka Blackrobe).

It was the wellknown Heinbloed that was the "matchmaker" because he was in fun telling that the best guide for Copenhagen was Danish Viking (thats me), but i was up for it.

So September 16. arrived and i meet with them at the big watch at the Central station at 08:00 as promised.

I was very nervous because english is more easy to write down than to speak so i hoped that my english was okay, and off course it was.

First we took the S-train line E to Hillerød to see the Frederiksborg Castleand was there around 09:15 after a nice walk to the Castle but the Castle first opened at 10:00 so we took a walk in the Barock garden´, and

when it opened we did a 1 hour walk around in the Castle museum and the church but you can use much more time if you want to.

After that we took a cop of coffee at the Slotarkaderne shopping mall near the castle and then we took the bus back to the train statiom in Hillerød.

From Hillerød we took a local train to Helsingør/Elsinore for a much longer visit to the Kronborg/hamlet Castle than expected.

We were all around the Castle, the castle itself, The maritime museum, the telegraph tower and the dark dark catacombs under the castle.

After that we took the Øresund train back to Copenhagen were we arrived around 17:30 or 18:00.

Then we took a walk in a very rainy Tivoli and we choose to eat at Café Ultimo.

http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-5019.htm

The day ended at 20:00 when i took the train home to Køge and i recommended the sports freak :-) Bill and Lu to go home to the hotel to see the Champions league game between FC Barcelona and Sporting Lissabon in the tv.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from our cruise which started with a three day visit to Copenhagen. Saying “thank you” does not begin to express our gratitude to Danish Viking and CruisinEurope for all of the time they have spent answering questions on the Cruise Critics board. We learned so much from them and the information they provided allowed us to have a wonderful, problem-free experience in Copenhagen. The patience which both of you has shown to posters who have been too lazy to read what you have previously written is amazing to me and a compliment to you.

Following your advice, we purchased 72 hour Copenhagen cards at the information booth in the airport. We used a taxi to get to our hotel because of the four suitcases with which we were traveling. We stayed at Hotel Christian IV which is a boutique hotel with a good location and a reasonable price. After we dropped our luggage at the hotel, we ventured off to visit the Copenhagen Zoo. We spent a very pleasant afternoon at the zoo before heading back to the hotel and picking a restaurant for dinner. At the suggestion of the hotel staff we dined at Restaurant Koefoed. Excellent dinner!

The next day we explored the entire center of the city. We started with the Little Mermaid (Little is the operative word) and the Kastellet. We worked our way back to Radhuspladsen which is either the beginning or the end of the Stroget. We did not take a harbor tour but we did take a canal tour. We also did not explore the Rosenborg castle because we decided that we would explore the castle on the morning before boarding the ship.

Danish Viking was kind enough to agree to serve as our guide for a tour of the castles of North Zealand. As he described in the foregoing post he took us to Hillerod and Helsingor to visit the castles of Fredericksborg and Kronborg. Wow, is the only thing I can say, they are quite spectacular with Fredericksborg being the more picturesque of the two. We then took the train back to the central station for a visit to Tivoli.

Some people love Tivoli while others do not see anything special about it. I would say take it for what it is and not for what you expect it to be. It is not a modern amusement park. It is the ancestor to all modern parks. It was established approximately 15 years before the first carousel appeared on Coney Island in New York and about 60 years before Riverview Park in Chicago was started. It began before the American Civil War occurred! I found the park to be interesting in the daylight but arriving there late in the afternoon provided me with the opportunity of seeing the park at night. It is at night that the park becomes very special. The close confines of the park together with the fairyland lighting gives the park a magical quality that simply cannot be duplicated during the day!

On our last day we checked out of the hotel leaving our luggage there. We walked over to Rosenborg Slot to tour the castle and the crown jewels. This was our third castle in two days and it was the most over-the-top of the trio. You have to visit it to truly understand the statement.

We were prepared for the Copenhagen card; the size of the mermaid; hotdog venders; chocolate milk; PIN # for credit cards; the buses; the ease of walking; and, for getting a general feeling of the place from Danish Viking and CruisinEurope before we ever arrived. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Archived