I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

We are on the June 26 Regent Voyager cruise to Norway which starts and ends in Copenhagen. This will be the longest cruise we have done to date--14 days, so we are really looking forward to it, and looking forward to visiting Denmark again. We are going to rent a car and drive around Denmark a couple of days after the cruise I think. Where would you suggest that isn't too far from Copenhagen? We would rather spend more time outdoors than driving. We like nature, hiking, historical sites. Loved the Skansen open air museum in Stockholm at the end of our recent trip.

Hi, I just found this thread and am trying to cram some more research in before we leave on our Baltic cruise next week. I read through several pages of this thread, but I admit, not all the pages. Such wonderful and valuable information. One question I have (and I do apologize if its in here and I missed it or didn't read far enough), is about paying for Tivoli. I read near the beginning of this thread that many places do not take US credit cards. Does anyone know if Tivoli will take US and foreign credit cards? We already have some Danish money but planned to use it for eating, transportation, etc. and hoped to use our credit card for Tivoli. I don't recall seeing this information on their web site but will look again. If anyone knows offhand I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

Hi, I just found this thread and am trying to cram some more research in before we leave on our Baltic cruise next week. I read through several pages of this thread, but I admit, not all the pages. Such wonderful and valuable information. One question I have (and I do apologize if its in here and I missed it or didn't read far enough), is about paying for Tivoli. I read near the beginning of this thread that many places do not take US credit cards. Does anyone know if Tivoli will take US and foreign credit cards? We already have some Danish money but planned to use it for eating, transportation, etc. and hoped to use our credit card for Tivoli. I don't recall seeing this information on their web site but will look again. If anyone knows offhand I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

They do accept credit cards says my friend who was there in June.

Welcome to CPH!

Yes, Tivoli takes credit cards of all nature. Both for admission and for ride tickets or tourbands (ride all the rides and just show your arm band).

have some Danish money but planned to use it for eating. Thanks.

Hello:

After a nip at the Ice Bar...where is your favorite dining

establishment? Thanks

We are on the June 26 Regent Voyager cruise to Norway which starts and ends in Copenhagen. This will be the longest cruise we have done to date--14 days, so we are really looking forward to it, and looking forward to visiting Denmark again. We are going to rent a car and drive around Denmark a couple of days after the cruise I think. Where would you suggest that isn't too far from Copenhagen? We would rather spend more time outdoors than driving. We like nature, hiking, historical sites. Loved the Skansen open air museum in Stockholm at the end of our recent trip.

Ahhh, I've looked long and hard at that cruise... but with my 2 little ones, I'm thinking that Regent is not the line for us right now. LOL

As far as "getting out there" - - Denmark is GORGEOUS and so easy to traverse!

Every Sunday we simply hop in our car, turn off the GPS and "wander" around to various towns, etc.

Some of our more "planned" excursions are:

Frederiksburg Slot. GORGEOUS castle & amazing grounds. WELL worth the trip up there (45 mins or so by car from CPH).

There is a great little open air museum in Lyngby (not as big as the ones in Oslo or Stockholm, but really nice none-the-less) (this is within 20 mins of CPH and a cute little town to putter around in - great little lake boat rides, a "shopping mall", cinema, etc. Fun town to spend a day in.

You can also venture off to Bornholm (if you fancy spending the night on the island, book WELL in advance, as it fills up FAST). Great nature to be had there. Definately rent a bike and do the island that way.

SO much to do - and I'm sure you'll do some great research before your trip. I'll be here for 2 more years (maybe more) - so do touch base before your next trip out and I can see if I have any more (newly found) must see places.

:D

Thanks for the ideas. You are right--I will definitely have the trip researched out.

As far as Regent with little kids, we first cruised with them when the boys were 12 and 17. They had a great time. Even though Regent is pretty expensive and not really geared towards small children, it is great for older kids and teens who like history and have traveled a lot (as I am sure yours will have by that age). They have some kids sail free cruises which are really very good value. Unfortunately, my youngest turns 18 in a couple of months, so this year was the last time to qualify for that. They also have some really good military discounts which aren't shown on their regular website, but you can find them on the ***** site. Just look under military discounts.

hey everyone!

i know there are a BUNCH of you who have gotten advice from this thread and who have completed your trips - -

I'd LOVE feedback as to what you saw, what you did, and what you thought of your time in CPH.

What would you do AGAIN and what would you SKIP?

Was there anything that you learned from this board that really helped you during your time in CPH?

Thanks!

Hi and Thanks! My family of 4 (kids ages 14, 10) spent the day in CPH August 15, 2008. We walked past little mermaid statue to Danish Resistance Museum. Husband, 14 year old, and I were fascinated by this museum and spent over an hour there. Ten year old did not have patience to read captions and spent most of the time on chair. Walked to Nyhavn with intention of taking canal boat, but 10 year old was too eager to reach Tivoli Gardens. Walked to Tivoli Gardens and bought unlimited ride wrist bands for kids, who were thrilled to spend 4 hours there. Walked back the other way through town (via King's Gardens at Rosenborg Castle) to ship, about a 1.5 hour walk. Had a fabulous time! Only sorry we missed canal boat, but didn't have time. Only thing I'd change is find a ship that spends longer in port so that we could see more!!!!!!! Thanks again for your help.

Hi and Thanks! My family of 4 (kids ages 14, 10) spent the day in CPH August 15, 2008. We walked past little mermaid statue to Danish Resistance Museum. Husband, 14 year old, and I were fascinated by this museum and spent over an hour there. Ten year old did not have patience to read captions and spent most of the time on chair. Walked to Nyhavn with intention of taking canal boat, but 10 year old was too eager to reach Tivoli Gardens. Walked to Tivoli Gardens and bought unlimited ride wrist bands for kids, who were thrilled to spend 4 hours there. Walked back the other way through town (via King's Gardens at Rosenborg Castle) to ship, about a 1.5 hour walk. Had a fabulous time! Only sorry we missed canal boat, but didn't have time. Only thing I'd change is find a ship that spends longer in port so that we could see more!!!!!!! Thanks again for your help.

FANTASTIC!

I am so happy that you had a great time! That is the ONLY Downside to cruising.... the short stays! Maybe next time you'll find one that leaves out of CPH and you can do a few days before/after the cruise to really dig in.

Dear CruisinEurope and panel

We will be in Copenhagen for three days toward the end of September. We are a couple in our 50's and would like your advice on the following itinerary:

Day1 Amalienborg, Tivoli, Rosenborg, National Museum, Round Tower.

Day2 Roskilde for Viking Museum and Cathedral; Canal Tour; National Gallery in CPH and House of Amber

Day 3 Day trip (or Half-day?) to Malmo

We would be very grateful for any suggestions/comments on this plan....as we really have no idea

After reading your previous comments we thought we would purchase the CPH CARD to cover many of the above places and transport.

I wonder should we cull some of the above and try to fit in a trip to Kronberg Castle?

Many thanks for ANY suggestions

Bil

Dear CruisinEurope and panel

We will be in Copenhagen for three days toward the end of September. We are a couple in our 50's and would like your advice on the following itinerary:

Day1 Amalienborg, Tivoli, Rosenborg, National Museum, Round Tower.

Day2 Roskilde for Viking Museum and Cathedral; Canal Tour; National Gallery in CPH and House of Amber

Day 3 Day trip (or Half-day?) to Malmo

We would be very grateful for any suggestions/comments on this plan....as we really have no idea

After reading your previous comments we thought we would purchase the CPH CARD to cover many of the above places and transport.

I wonder should we cull some of the above and try to fit in a trip to Kronberg Castle?

Many thanks for ANY suggestions

Bil

I think that day 1 is pretty packed. I think that it's definitely DO-ABLE - you just have to keep a good eye on your watch. I would also make Tivoli your LAST stop as it's at its most gorgeous in the evening and it's a great place for dinner/nightcap.

I think that your day 2 is a bit ambitious. The Roskilde viking museum is EASILY a 1/2 day - and some spend a full day up there. It's a great museum, and well worth it... but it doesn't leave a lot of room left during the day. You may have to leave out the National Gallery and just do the canal tour (they go late) and the House of Amber (there are several - and if you don't plan on doing the museum part, then it's just a store).

Or you can plan to do the Art Gallery during day 1 if you can move Tivoli back to the late evening (after all the museums have closed).

For your day 3 - I would also say that you can do a great "round trip" that would be something like this:

Take the train or bus up to Kronborg Slot. Then board the ferry over to Sweden, do a bit of sightseeing around there (great muesums and a neat remains of an old fortress), then hop the train over to Malmo. Be sure to see the Twisting Torso while there. Then take the train back to CPH. That is a full day - - but one that is easily done with lots of rest on the train/ferry. Your CPH card will come in handy for that trip as well.

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions CruisinEurope....they are so very helpful. We have just found out that the Tivoli Gardens will be closed for the three days that we will be in Copenhagen. Do you have any suggestions of a similar spot to visit?

Thank you

Margaret and Bil

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions CruisinEurope....they are so very helpful. We have just found out that the Tivoli Gardens will be closed for the three days that we will be in Copenhagen. Do you have any suggestions of a similar spot to visit?

Thank you

Margaret and Bil

They are open until 21 September ... then close down for a bit... then open again for "halloween" during 10 - 19 October.... then closed again. then open for Christmas Market from 14 November - 30 December.

So, unless you're coming in after 21 September - - you should be OK.

There is literally NOTHING that even compares to Tivoli. Not in actual place, history, etc. There just is no replacement.

(and, just for sake of over-informing - the other amusement park - Bakken - is closed as of the end of August for deer mating season.)

Hopefully you will get to see Tivoli... otherwise, you'll just have to come back. ;)

Thanks CrusinEurope. Sadly we arrive on the 25th September for three days only. any other suggestions?

Thanks

Margaret and Bil

Even without Tivoli you still have a great trip planned. You have a very ambitious schedule and now you have a bit more time to enjoy each stop along the way.

For dinner - you can still go into a restaurant that is "attached" to Tivoli. There are several that you can enter from either the street OR from inside Tivoli. If you can secure a seat that overlooks the park -- that may give you your "Tivoli Fix" ... even if you can't wander the grounds or ride on any rides.

Dear Jen

Thank you so much for all your help. We have spent several hours going through your comments on this thread today. After following your many referrals and suggestions we feel we have come to know Copenhagen a little even before we arrive!

I hope you don't mind us running a slightly modified itinerary before you for your comments?

Day 1 Amalienborg, Rosenborg, lunch, House of Amber, National Museum and, if time, permits the Round Tower.

Day 2. We are excited about your absolutely new suggestion: a day trip to Kronborg Slot and then over to Hellsingborg in Sweden and then down to Malmo before returing to CPH. We thought we might purchase the "Around the Sound" Card for this one?

Day 3. We would still like to do the Roskilde Viking Museum and perhaps the Cathedral at Roskilde. If time permits perhaps that afternoon a canal trip at CPH.

What do you think?

Thank you so much for all of your informative comments...the prices of food items, best routes for walking, weather, shopping, clothes to wear, etc etc! You are a real treasure!

Sincerely

Margaret and Bil

Dear Jen

Thank you so much for all your help. We have spent several hours going through your comments on this thread today. After following your many referrals and suggestions we feel we have come to know Copenhagen a little even before we arrive!

I hope you don't mind us running a slightly modified itinerary before you for your comments?

Day 1 Amalienborg, Rosenborg, lunch, House of Amber, National Museum and, if time, permits the Round Tower.

Day 2. We are excited about your absolutely new suggestion: a day trip to Kronborg Slot and then over to Hellsingborg in Sweden and then down to Malmo before returing to CPH. We thought we might purchase the "Around the Sound" Card for this one?

Day 3. We would still like to do the Roskilde Viking Museum and perhaps the Cathedral at Roskilde. If time permits perhaps that afternoon a canal trip at CPH.

What do you think?

Thank you so much for all of your informative comments...the prices of food items, best routes for walking, weather, shopping, clothes to wear, etc etc! You are a real treasure!

Sincerely

Margaret and Bil

Thank you for the compliments! I TRULY enjoy this - and am so happy when people tell me they actually "got" something out of my efforts here.

The ONLY thing I would change is to reverse Amailienborg and Rosenborg. That way - if you can plan on doing Roseborg when it opens, then walk over to Amailenborg and be there just a pinch before noon - you can view the changing of the guard.

Then you can walk down to Nyhaven and get some lunch and visit the Amber shop / Museum there.

I think that everything else looks very doable and like a very well rounded trip!

enjoy your time in CPH!

Hi Jen

Thank you for your comments. Another query if you don't mind....

Eventhough the Tivoli will be closed when we arrive (25th Sept for three days) are the cafes and restaurants also closed? Or is it possible to access these independently?

Many thanks

Margaret and Bil

Hi Jen

Thank you for your comments. Another query if you don't mind....

Eventhough the Tivoli will be closed when we arrive (25th Sept for three days) are the cafes and restaurants also closed? Or is it possible to access these independently?

Many thanks

Margaret and Bil

LOL

Maybe you missed my previous post stating EXACTLY that...

here is the post: (i added the red to make the answer stand out)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bil3 viewpost.gif

Thanks CrusinEurope. Sadly we arrive on the 25th September for three days only. any other suggestions?

Thanks

Margaret and Bil

Even without Tivoli you still have a great trip planned. You have a very ambitious schedule and now you have a bit more time to enjoy each stop along the way.

For dinner - you can still go into a restaurant that is "attached" to Tivoli. There are several that you can enter from either the street OR from inside Tivoli. If you can secure a seat that overlooks the park -- that may give you your "Tivoli Fix" ... even if you can't wander the grounds or ride on any rides.

Would you recommend Tivoli for 5,7 and a 9 year old next June?

Some of the reviews of it are not so great - but if we know more of what to expect (not like Disney - which is fine) before we get there that might help to prepare the kids too.

Is there a website (I have googled and have not found anything?)

We are only in port from 8 to 4pm and have not really figured out what to do here yet - is this a must see? It seems like it would be something the kids would enjoy, but if it is overly costly than we may have to skip it.

Thanks

having been to tivoli in july i would say it is retro. it has a lot of charm but do not expect disneyland. just take it for what it is -the predecessor of Disneyland. I thought the kids rides were cute but dated, i still think the kids will enjoy it.

Would you recommend Tivoli for 5,7 and a 9 year old next June?

Some of the reviews of it are not so great - but if we know more of what to expect (not like Disney - which is fine) before we get there that might help to prepare the kids too.

Is there a website (I have googled and have not found anything?)

We are only in port from 8 to 4pm and have not really figured out what to do here yet - is this a must see? It seems like it would be something the kids would enjoy, but if it is overly costly than we may have to skip it.

Thanks

if you read back through this thread a bit - my thoughts on Tivoli are pretty clear :D

I think that it's ICONIC and truly a PART of Copenhagen.

Can you skip it - sure. But that is skipping a HUGE part of what this city is all about.

Will the kids like it - sure! Mine do (5 and 6). There is PLENTY to do to keep them occupied - or you can just go in, stroll the grounds, get an ice cream and play on the free playscape for a bit before moving on to your next stop.

I think that Tivoli is - hands down - the BEST place to go "after hours" - - when everything else has closed for the day. Go there for dinner (or at least dessert) and enjoy the night time at Tivoli. If you are there in July - then it will never really get DARK - even at closing time. But its still pretty none-the-less.

Yes. It's expensive. Everything in CPH is.

Yes, it's "outdated" but THAT is the charm of it.

Yes, the kids will want to ride the rides.

Yes, there is stuff for adults to enjoy too.

I 100% believe that Tivoli is a "must do" - if purely for the historical/iconic value that it has. If you're not into that - then you can totally skip it.

Enjoy your stay!

EDIT -- http://www.tivoli.dk is the website. you can choose the British flag and get it in English

Archived