I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Thanks for the information. What are your thoughts on someone traveling (cruise) wheelchair or crutches? Any easy places to get to and see?

don't mind walking a bit but not for miles! Maybe some excursion that you might know of?

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi, I am sorry if someone already asked this...I made it through about 15 pages before I gave up..

Do you know if we can bring a couple of large suitcases on the train? We are coming in and out of copenhagen to the cruise port and I would prefer to get there and back using public transportation (much cheaper). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello all!! :D thank you for this wonderful thread, we have a public holiday here in NZ and its wet and rainy so I have sat and read this thread on and off over the last 2 days and wow!! thank you again.

We arrive in Copenhagen on the 29th June in time for departure on Journey on 30th June, that gives us most of that day and evening to explore and part of next day and from all your suggestions I think I have a plan, LOL. We also disembark 12 days later in Copenhagen and asked TA to give us one more day, he has suggested we spend the day out of the city and do the castles tour. We are fairly independent and would rather do our own thing. We will have all of 12th July and most of 13th July flying out 5pm. Your advice or suggestions would be very helpful. Also the TA has not booked hotels as yet and will probably have his own group to do our booking from, when that is talked about, I will come back with the list of whats on offer and ask your opinion. My main request will be central (K).

This is truely a wonderful thread!!!:D

Hello all,

I've read this thread from the start, and it's been a very good source of information - big thank you to all contributors! :)

We (DW&I) have an upcoming cruise (May 2009) with the NCL Jade, visiting CPH for 1 day (tuesday 11:00 - 21:00). We're hoping for nice weather, because we'd like to explore the city by bicycle.

I've checked out http://www.bycyklen.dk/english/thecitybikeandcopenhagen.aspx

where most of my questions have been answered. (Free bikes, yay!)

Maybe Viking or CruisinEurope can help me out with these questions:

Will the NCL Jade dock at Langelinie Pier or Freeport Terminal? Looking at the bike zone, I hope it'll be Langelinie.

For the bikes, we'll need 20 DKK-coins. Assuming there's an ATM near the cruise ship dock, where can we get change bills to coins?

BTW - we're Dutch, so we're very used to getting around on a bike. :cool:

We will be on the Grand Princess July 14 (9am) until early on the 15.

I was planning on doing the Hop on/off bus during the day and taking a Princess tour for tivoli garden & canal cruise in evening. From their web site the price for the Carlsberg and Mermaid tours are Dkk 120/one day each. For Dkk 150 for 2 days you can get Mermaid + Carlsberg + Christiania tours.

would taking 2 tours - mermaid and carlsberg be too much in one day.

@ Essellanden

Jade will dock at the Langelinie pier, so its your lucky day

I think that the Tourist information at the pier has a ATM and i also think that they will change coins.

@ acruisinprincess

Hotels.com is the best source for hotels in copenhagen so i will try to look there first if i was you.

@ P&C

Try to look at my post about my tour to the castles with 2 x Blackrobe

In Copenhagen you can find alot of art museums (both old and new art) historical museums and themed museums (even a science museum for the kids)

But just ask of anything and i will try to help you, and that counts for all of you.

We recently stayed at the Hotel Christian IV which we found to be a perfectly adequate hotel for our three day pre-cruise stay. It was not fancy but clean and functional with a great breakfast room. Breakfast was included and they had coffee and cookies throughout the day and evening. We booked though Booking.com. Below is the listing for our stay. The hotel is located just east of Rosenborg Have. It is kind of between Rosenborg Castle and Amalienborg within walking distance of Nyhavn.

Double and double superior rooms child policy: From 1st of November 2007 until 15th of April 2008, one child (max 15 years old) can stay for free in extra (roll-away) beds when sharing a room with two adults.

Date 14/09 15/09 16/09 Price (DKK) 1255,00 1255,00 1255,00 Total cost of this room: DKK 3765

Breakfast: Buffet breakfast is included in the room rate.

Taxes: VAT is included.; Service charge is included.; City/tourist tax is not applicable.

• 2 weeks later...
But just ask of anything and i will try to help you, and that counts for all of you.

Thank you for your kind offer. We will be in Copenhagen on May 12 for one day.

1. What is the best way to get from the airport to a hotel, such as, the Avenue Hotel?
  2. What is the best way to get from the hotel to the ship (HAL Eurodam)?
  3. What is the best way to get from the ship to the airport after the cruise? We understand that our flight will leave too early for the HAL transfer to get us to the airport on time.

Steve and Avra

The hotel is located 100-150 meters from the Forum metro station, the metro from the airport stops at forum so it is very easy.

http://www.krak.dk/query?what=map&mop=yp&advert_code=653580&hits_on_map=1&search_word=Avenue%20Hotel

A taxi will be the best because the nearest S-train station (Nordhavn) is like 500-700 meters away and the freeport terminal where eurodam is berthed is in a industral port.

Again i will say the taxi from the freeport terminal to the airport or Østerport station where you can take the Airport train.

The hotel is located 100-150 meters from the Forum metro station, the metro from the airport stops at forum so it is very easy.

http://www.krak.dk/query?what=map&mop=yp&advert_code=653580&hits_on_map=1&search_word=Avenue%20Hotel

A taxi will be the best because the nearest S-train station (Nordhavn) is like 500-700 meters away and the freeport terminal where eurodam is berthed is in a industral port.

Again i will say the taxi from the freeport terminal to the airport or Østerport station where you can take the Airport train.

Thank you for the information. It sounds like taxis are the way to get around. Do you know what the rates are, for example, from the airport to the ship or vice versa?

Also, is there a train map online so that we can see the station names and costs? I understand that the Copenhagen card will probably cost about DKK209 (about 36 USD) when it is available in about 2-3 months and I am trying to find out whether we will make enough use of it to make it worthwhile.

The taxi will roughly cost around 250-300 danish kroner.

I dont know if there are any map online but try these websites.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Pages/home.aspx copenhagen transport authority

www.dsb.dk danish state railways

www.m.dk copenhagen metro (this is the way to go from the airport to Forum station)

Hello Everyone!!

WOW oh WOW this thread has been BUSY!

Danish Viking - you are DA MAN! :)

I've recently gotten a job - which explains my sudden severe lack of computer time :( - - but also just booked another cruise so now I'm back here and addicted as ever.

Not sure how much more help I'll be - - but just wanted to pop in and say that I am here and will be back on this thread.

you are doing a great service, and thanks in advance. i admit i have not read all the posts in this forum, so i apologize if you've already covered this subject. if so, please just tell me which post (by number displayed in the upper right hand corner) covers our situation.

now, our plans: we are a group of 5 to 12 arriving at the airport 2 (or 3?) days early for a cruise leaving copenhagen on august 24, 2009. 1) how many days would you suggest to get a fairly thorough feel for what you like about copenhagen? 2) where would you suggest we stay? 3) what would be a not-too-stressful itinerary for each of the days including both self-guided tours and packaged tours? we already plan on buying the "copenhagen card" you suggest.

we are most grateful for any advice you can give.

while i am waiting for your response i will begin going through all the posts in this forum (a daunting task, but one which gives testimony to your helpfulness!)

thanks,

bruce

What do you want to see because if you want to see some castles you need 3 days.

I dont know at what time you plane arrive but im guessing that you are a little bit tired so i will start out lightly.

21/08: Some short sightseing in central copenhagen.

22/08: Tour around copenhagen with Rosenborg and Amalienborg Castles and a one hour canal And/or Harbour tour.

23/08: Tour to north zealand and all the castles and a evening in Tivoli (tivoli is best in the evening because of all the lights) look at post 497 and 498.

24/08: A nice little stroll on Strøget shopping street and the out to the ship.

Hello Everyone!!

WOW oh WOW this thread has been BUSY!

Danish Viking - you are DA MAN! :)

I've recently gotten a job - which explains my sudden severe lack of computer time :( - - but also just booked another cruise so now I'm back here and addicted as ever.

Not sure how much more help I'll be - - but just wanted to pop in and say that I am here and will be back on this thread.

Good to see you return. Miss your informational posts.

I have a quick question. It's a bit off the wall, but I'm hoping you know the answer.

When we visit Copenhagen, I'm going to want to find a place that sells auto parts. A sort of Danish Pep Boys, if you will. I know that Sweden has it's Jula stores, the one in Malmo seeming to be the closest to Copenhagen (how far is the drive across that bridge anyhow?) but I'm hoping to find something nearer the center of Copenhagen.

Also, if they have an online presence so I (or someone who can read Danish. Hint, hint :) ) can see if they have what I need (a 50mm tow ball), that would be awesome.

I should probably expand on what I asked for there, I actually need a a 50mm tow ball with 25mm threaded shaft, not a bolt on one as pictured here:

http://www.hoyer-autodele.dk/product.asp?c=2227766825&n=1199149610&pn=-1416888257

But it's getting better. I now know that I need a " Kuglebolt", yes? And that should be able to get one at a place that has "autodele"? :)

This is what I actually need (from the Jula website):

http://www.jula.se/e-Sales/esa/default.jsp?mainpage=ItemDetails.jsp&denied=yes&%40where.ItemID%40EQ=335015

335015_c.jpg

I have a quick question. It's a bit off the wall, but I'm hoping you know the answer.

When we visit Copenhagen, I'm going to want to find a place that sells auto parts. A sort of Danish Pep Boys, if you will. I know that Sweden has it's Jula stores, the one in Malmo seeming to be the closest to Copenhagen (how far is the drive across that bridge anyhow?) but I'm hoping to find something nearer the center of Copenhagen.

Also, if they have an online presence so I (or someone who can read Danish. Hint, hint :) ) can see if they have what I need (a 50mm tow ball), that would be awesome.

Archived