I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

There is not any direct Metro connection between Kongens Nytorv and Østerport before 2018 (city circle line M3 and M4)

But with a change to the S-train system at Nørreport you will be in Østerport in no minutes.

Just get the trains heading for, Farum, Holte, Hillerød, Klampenborg and Østerport and take it to Østerport that is only one stop further north.

There is not any direct Metro connection between Kongens Nytorv and Østerport before 2018 (city circle line M3 and M4)

But with a change to the S-train system at Nørreport you will be in Østerport in no minutes.

Just get the trains heading for, Farum, Holte, Hillerød, Klampenborg and Østerport and take it to Østerport that is only one stop further north.

Thank you for that clarification, Danish Viking.

first of all, thanks again for all your advice.

you probably have covered this, but i have not had a chance to look at this entire thread, so please bear with me. we are a group of 8 who have booked a hotel on nyhaven street. we would like to know how much time we should plan to stay in cph before heading off on a baltics cruise on august 24. we have the option of arriving in cph either on friday august 21, which would give us 3 1/2 days in cph, or arriving on saturday august 22, which would give us 2 1/2 days. can you recommend which of these would give us enough time to see the major highlights without wearing us out? i know that "major highlights" is hard to define, but perhaps you could give a quick list of what we might cover in 2 1/2 days, and what additional sights we would see if we spent 1 day more. just mention the names of the sights, please. we can look up the descriptions and locations elsewhere in your wonderful post.

thanks again for this helpful service.

bruce

Technically, as I've said before, ANYTHING is walkable. Your definition of walkable may be vastly different from mine - so I hate to say that something is "walkable" when in reality it may not be for you (or others reading this board)

With luggage, etc. I STILL strongly recommend taking a cab from Osterport station to the terminals. (and, to clarify, you're only talking a mile, so cab fare will not be astronomical at all. But the lack of sidewalks, the BUSY streets that you will be walking on, etc. all lend itself to taking a cab vs. walking IMHO)

If you want to walk it - then obviously that is your choice. I'm not going to recommend it because I think that 99% of people reading this board would then think that it'd be a cinch to walk .. and I don't want to give that impression.

make sense?

And yes, nordhavn is closer, but again, with luggage, etc. not knowing the area, it could be nerve wracking to attempt to walk. If you're confident, then go ahead and walk it.

I suggest Osterport only because there are always taxis readily available from that station. Nordhavn is not a "main" station and you'd have to wait a bit for a taxi to go past.

Thanks for the information. Yes, by asking if it was walkable, I was referring to sidewalks,

crosswalks, stairs, etc. I appreciate all the help that's been given in this thread.

first of all, thanks again for all your advice.

you probably have covered this, but i have not had a chance to look at this entire thread, so please bear with me. we are a group of 8 who have booked a hotel on nyhaven street. we would like to know how much time we should plan to stay in cph before heading off on a baltics cruise on august 24. we have the option of arriving in cph either on friday august 21, which would give us 3 1/2 days in cph, or arriving on saturday august 22, which would give us 2 1/2 days. can you recommend which of these would give us enough time to see the major highlights without wearing us out? i know that "major highlights" is hard to define, but perhaps you could give a quick list of what we might cover in 2 1/2 days, and what additional sights we would see if we spent 1 day more. just mention the names of the sights, please. we can look up the descriptions and locations elsewhere in your wonderful post.

thanks again for this helpful service.

bruce

Hello Bruce!

My thought is that more time is always better - so 3.5 days would win my vote hands down.

To help you prioritize your sights, maybe YOU could give a list of some of the things that your group would like to do, and we can help you cull it down or rearrange it for you.

Without having ANY idea of what you think is worth seeing, we can't really help. Everyone is different, and some may LOVE seeing old castles and some would rather stick a pencil in their eye.

So if you could help US help YOU a bit, that would be great.

Thanks for the information. Yes, by asking if it was walkable, I was referring to sidewalks,

crosswalks, stairs, etc. I appreciate all the help that's been given in this thread.

The main issue right now is that they are doing major roadwork - rendering the sidewalks unusable.

That may be gone by the time you arrive - - but that street is always very busy and has (at best) very narrow sidewalks. It's quite an anomaly for CPH where something is advised against being walkable - - this is just a rare case.

The vast majority (99.9%) of the city is completely walkable with wonderful sidewalks, etc.

Unfortunately, this one particular stretch, I'd vote for a cab (even without the road construction).

HERE is a great example of how to best ask for advice on planning your time in CPH.

PLEASE give us something to work with so that we can help you as efficiently and effectively as possible.

if you just ask us "what should I see" - it's VERY hard to answer that broad of a question.

Now - if you do a bit of research before - and can ask a question like fun_seeker did below --- then you'll get the type of help that you're looking for from Danish Viking and myself.

Originally Posted by fun_seeker viewpost.gif

Given that walking miles is not a problem for us and that we travel with only a 22 inch roll-aboard and a tote each, we have the following questions for either Danish Viking or CruisinEurope.

Would it be better to take the Metro with our carry-on luggage from the airport to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the Hotel Bethel (Nyhavn 22) or to take a taxi?

After leaving our luggage at the hotel, we want to visit Amalienborg, Rosenborg, the Round Tower and Tivoli. Would it be better to visit these places in one day starting from the airport at 10:00AM or to visit some on the day before the cruise and the rest after the cruise (we will be in Copenhagen for 14 hours after the ship docks)?

Given these plans, would the 24 hour CPH card be a worthwhile investment?

MY ANSWER:

The metro will be fine for you - I wouldn't waste the $ on a taxi in your situation.

10am - set off from the Airport, drop your bags at the hotel, and get to Amalienborg. Try to get there for just before noon to catch the changing of the guard.

From there, walk out to Nyhavn and grab some lunch. Some suggested spots: Cafe Norden, Post Office Museum Cafe, Dubliner Irish Pub....

After a meal, head down the Stroget to the Round Tower. This takes no more than an hour (1.5 if you're REALLY slow getting to the top).

So now it's probably about 3pm (ish) (giving you an hour for lunch, and time to walk everywhere) -

PLENTY of time to enjoy Tivoli (which closes at Midnight - and is actually MUCH prettier in the evening when the lights are on).

On your 14 hour day post cruise, do Rosenborg so you can really take in the grounds, the castle, etc. You can also do a nice walk around the Kastellet (very close to the pier).

Enjoy your time!

(oh - the CPH card - - you'd have to tally up the cost of entrance to the museums and see if it outweighs the CPH card. The CPH card is 225 per person, I know that Tivoli is 85, Amalienborg is free to watch the changing of the guard, and I'd have to look up Rosenborg and the Round Tower. -- of which you'll only be doing 1 anyway - - so NO. Definatley not worth it UNLESS you plan on taking the metro everywhere .... but if you can walk it, then it's an easy and beautiful way to get around the city.)

cruisineurope & danish viking,

Thanks for the valuable info. Our ship (Tahitian Princess) will be in Copenhagen on May 18 from 8-6 pm. We are thinking of taking the HOHO bus (Mermaid tour) and one of the DFDS canal tours. For the canal tour I was looking at the "yellow line" route.

My question is:

Do you think we'll be seeing the same sites on the canal tour as the HOHO? :confused:

cruisineurope & danish viking,

Thanks for the valuable info. Our ship (Tahitian Princess) will be in Copenhagen on May 18 from 8-6 pm. We are thinking of taking the HOHO bus (Mermaid tour) and one of the DFDS canal tours. For the canal tour I was looking at the "yellow line" route.

My question is:

Do you think we'll be seeing the same sites on the canal tour as the HOHO? :confused:

There will be a lot of repeats, but it is totally different (IMHO) doing the HOHO and going in and exploring than doing the canal tour (which is not HOHO).

Seeing the city from water level is unique - and something that I think should be done in cities like CPH, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Venice, Paris, etc.

It's a totally different experience than the HOHO bus.

:-D

Enjoy!

Hello there!

We are on the NCL Jewel in June and the ship will docked at CPH from 9:00am - 7:30pm. From one of the websites I found something like 'Straekning - LANGELINIEKAJ', I suppose that means our ship will docked at Langelinie Pier. Could you give me some ideas of what's around and what's the best way to go from the pier to the popular tourist spot? Since we have only about 8 hours on land we want to make the most of it. Thank you very much.

We will be doing the HOHO bus while in Copenhagen. I have bought tickets online. Plan on doing the Mermaid and Christiania tours. We will be on the Grand Princess in July. I think(?) that Princess docks at the Freeport dock. Where would we pick up the bus.

Hello there!

We are on the NCL Jewel in June and the ship will docked at CPH from 9:00am - 7:30pm. From one of the websites I found something like 'Straekning - LANGELINIEKAJ', I suppose that means our ship will docked at Langelinie Pier. Could you give me some ideas of what's around and what's the best way to go from the pier to the popular tourist spot? Since we have only about 8 hours on land we want to make the most of it. Thank you very much.

Hello!

yes, you are at the "main pier". This entire thread is about what to see/do and how to do it...

if you read up about 4 posts I've posted a prime example of how best to utilize this thread and phrase your questions so that we can help you.

Thanks!

Hi,

Believe it or not I have waded through the MANY pages of this thread and learned lots of good stuff. Forgive me if I don't remember a thing or two. We'll be there in not too many days and are looking to making the most of our one day (plus, plus) to experience Copenhagen.

My question is this: How should someone whose tongue only does English well say "stroget"? I assume we shouldn't say "strow jett," but need to know how we can make ourselves understood--without being laughed at too much.

Thanks. And thanks for sharing your wisdom for these many months. The thread has been a great help!

Hi,

Believe it or not I have waded through the MANY pages of this thread and learned lots of good stuff. Forgive me if I don't remember a thing or two. We'll be there in not too many days and are looking to making the most of our one day (plus, plus) to experience Copenhagen.

My question is this: How should someone whose tongue only does English well say "stroget"? I assume we shouldn't say "strow jett," but need to know how we can make ourselves understood--without being laughed at too much.

Thanks. And thanks for sharing your wisdom for these many months. The thread has been a great help!

LOL! I speak a few languages and STILL can't say stroget correctly. :D The best thing that I can say is to drop the ETT sound at the end and try to not move your lips at all, speak from the back of your throat and try to say STROGE (with the O being the issue here... as it's not a hard or soft O as in english, it's actually an entirely new vowel that the Danes have - my keyboard doesn't have the danish vowels on it, so I can't show you... but it's the O with a line through it.)

Best advice - do your best attempt and then be prepared to be stared at with a questioning look. LOL

No, really, the Danes are fantastic and are very used to people mangling their language. Heck, even among Danes there are some that can't understand each other. :D

We will be doing the HOHO bus while in Copenhagen. I have bought tickets online. Plan on doing the Mermaid and Christiania tours. We will be on the Grand Princess in July. I think(?) that Princess docks at the Freeport dock. Where would we pick up the bus.

In July the HOHO will most likely stop at Freeport since most cruise lines offer it as one of their shore excursions.

If it doesn't, then you'd need to make your way to the Radhuspladsen (town hall square) which is across the street from Tivoli.

If you contact info@sightseeing.dk (as I'm assuming that is who you bought your online ticket though?) they can clarify for you whether or not they will be at the pier that day or not.

Enjoy CPH!

1st of all, I have not read the posts yet, so excuse me if I've asked questions already that have been answered.

We have never been to Copenhagen and have decided to add three days after our cruise. Our TA has put us in the Raddison SAS Scandinavia Hotel, not sure why not the Royal since that is closer downtown but anyhow, do you know that area and Hotel? Any first hand knowledge of that Hotel? Also, are there any sandy beaches in Copenhagen and across the bridge in Sweden? We promised to bring home sand from the two countries for a sand collector...go figure. Anyway, I'm off to read all these posts so we can get some great pointers. Thanks for starting this thread!

Suzie & Joel, Portland Oregon.;)

One note about the Leverpostej, DON´T buy the fabricated ones because in the supermarkeds you will get disappointed.

And try the fresh ones from a butcher because they are warm and therefore taste better.

This is not in Central Copenhagen but they make a very good Leverpostej, the recipe is from 1952.

Slagter Lund ApS - Peter Bangs Vej 123, 2000 Frederiksberg.

http://www.slagterlund.dk/Paalaegsvarer/Leverpostej.html

slagter@slagter-lund.dk

These buthers are located in central Copenhagen.

Slagteren ved Kultorvet - close to the Round Tower and Nørreport train station.

Frederiksborggade 4

1360 København K

Det goe Smørrebrød - backstreet to Nyhavn.

Holbergsgade 12

1057 København K

Slagteren i Kælderen - Also on Kultorvet close to the Round Tower and Nørreport train station.

Frederiksborggade 5

1360 København K

Magasin on strøget has a food department in the basement located next to the Metro entrance on Kongens Nytorv.

Also Irma (up scale supermarked)

These supermarkeds has a butcher that makes there own Leverpostej.

Frederiksborggade 34 - 36 - Close to Nørreport train station.

1360 København K

Nørre Voldgade 78 - Located very close to Nørreport train station.

1358 København K

Pilestræde 13 - Illum department store on strøget.

1112 København K

Oslo Plads 2, Østerport St - Østerport train station.

2100 København Ø.

@ cruiznagainandagain

The best sandy beaches is located at Bellevue beach located near Klampenborg S-Train station or Amager Strandpark/Beach Park located near Øresund and Amager Strand Metro station.

The most popular beach in Malmø/Malmoe is Ribersborg located a 15 minutes walk away from Malmø Central station

Address: Ribersborg

Directions: From the Central Station, walk past the old harbour area and follow Citadellsvägen past Västra Hamnen's modern developments and you're there.

The Radisson SAS Scandinavia Hotel is located a good 15-20 minute walk from the town hall square or a short trip with the public busses.

The area around the hotel is not the most exiting place to be (no outdoor cafés and a gas station next door.

But a new plan to re-develope the area and create life around the hotel is in progress and it also includes 10 new stories on the hotel and a all new facade.

But no construction is started yet so you won´t sleep in a construction site this summer, but maybe next summer.

1st of all, I have not read the posts yet, so excuse me if I've asked questions already that have been answered.

We have never been to Copenhagen and have decided to add three days after our cruise. Our TA has put us in the Raddison SAS Scandinavia Hotel, not sure why not the Royal since that is closer downtown but anyhow, do you know that area and Hotel? Any first hand knowledge of that Hotel? Also, are there any sandy beaches in Copenhagen and across the bridge in Sweden? We promised to bring home sand from the two countries for a sand collector...go figure. Anyway, I'm off to read all these posts so we can get some great pointers. Thanks for starting this thread!

Suzie & Joel, Portland Oregon.;)

Hello!

I've not personally stayed at that hotel - but the SAS chain is very nice, so no worries as to the quality of the hotel. Unfortunately, the location isn't the best, but it's not TOO horrible. You'll just need to get very familiar w/ the bus system to get downtown. Your hotel front desk/concierge can get you in the right direction.

Sandy beaches - YES in Copenhagen. Quite a few to choose from. In Malmo (over the bridge in Sweden), not so sure to be honest .... You can get pretty close to the water, but I honestly have no idea about an actual beach.... Maybe try to google Malmo Beach and see what you get?

Enjoy your stay!

LOL! I speak a few languages and STILL can't say stroget correctly. :D The best thing that I can say is to drop the ETT sound at the end and try to not move your lips at all, speak from the back of your throat and try to say STROGE (with the O being the issue here... as it's not a hard or soft O as in english, it's actually an entirely new vowel that the Danes have - my keyboard doesn't have the danish vowels on it, so I can't show you... but it's the O with a line through it.)

Best advice - do your best attempt and then be prepared to be stared at with a questioning look. LOL

No, really, the Danes are fantastic and are very used to people mangling their language. Heck, even among Danes there are some that can't understand each other. :D

Thanks much. I know about the slashed O vowel, but had no clue how to say stroget. I found a phonetic pronunciation website that said something like "stroy' yuunh" if I'm hearing it right! Yep, we'll do our best. I'm guessing the Danes have a good sense of humor.

Great thread! We will be arriving on 21 JUN for a 22 JUN departure on Eurodam and have yet to reserve a hotel room. We were considering Hotel 27 but I have seen two comments that make me wonder about this choice: 1) the main clock tower chimes every 15 minutes? All night long? and 2) the beds are only 120 cm wide? If the main clock does indeed chime all night, perhaps staying near Tivoli is not a good idea? I'm always trashed after flying 10 hours to the east and would hope to get a good night sleep before embarking the next afternoon.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Great thread! We will be arriving on 21 JUN for a 22 JUN departure on Eurodam and have yet to reserve a hotel room. We were considering Hotel 27 but I have seen two comments that make me wonder about this choice: 1) the main clock tower chimes every 15 minutes? All night long? and 2) the beds are only 120 cm wide? If the main clock does indeed chime all night, perhaps staying near Tivoli is not a good idea? I'm always trashed after flying 10 hours to the east and would hope to get a good night sleep before embarking the next afternoon.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've never heard the clock chime ... not saying it doesn't, just saying that in all my times downtown I've never heard it chime once.

Beds are narrower here, but most American chains have "regular" size beds.

For one night, personally I'd go with price, then location.... but you may not agree. What I would do is BOOK SOON so that you GET a room. CPH doesn't have a lot of hotel rooms, and summer can be maddening to get a room.

Enjoy!

I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier or not... but for those of you interested in Danish Design (textiles) then you can NOT MISS the TRIP TRAP store which is located at the foot of the road to get to Langeline pier.

This is a MUST SEE/DO if you enjoy Danish design.

Archived